HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give this draft a grade!

View Poll Results: What grade would you give to this draft?
A+ 8 2.14%
A 24 6.42%
A- 57 15.24%
B+ 86 22.99%
B 100 26.74%
B- 46 12.30%
C+ 23 6.15%
C 15 4.01%
C- 11 2.94%
Fail 4 1.07%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
  #201
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 50
A

montreal drafted size and goaltending. ive been asking for this for too long to criticize it.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:47 PM
  #202
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
and I stopped right here. Hayden with 4fm in is career tougher than a legit heavyweight ohl enforcer........don't think so.

In the player you listed, name me one who could become like Neil or Thornton? Because that's what the habs hope in Crisp......
I "hope" he becomes Milan Lucic x 2 but I'm not going to hold my breath. If the Habs thought he might have that kind of upside, then fine, take him with the 7th you didn't use because I'd bet $100 against a stale doughnut he would have still been there. He must be the best kept secret since the location of Jimmy Hoffa's gravesite because in the months I've been following this I haven't heard his name mentioned EVEN ONCE, BY ANYONE, and the Habs burn their first 3rd round pick on this guy? I mean ...really? REALLY? Gimme a break!!!

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
  #203
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
We blew it not getting Jordan Subban.

Great name.

We already have an undersized defense. Redundant.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
  #204
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
I "hope" he becomes Milan Lucic x 2 but I'm not going to hold my breath. If the Habs thought he might have that kind of upside, then fine, take him with the 7th you didn't use because I'd bet $100 against a stale doughnut he would have still been there. He must be the best kept secret since the location of Jimmy Hoffa's gravesite because in the months I've been following this I haven't heard his name mentioned EVEN ONCE, BY ANYONE, and the Habs burn their first 3rd round pick on this guy? I mean ...really? REALLY? Gimme a break!!!
hfboards pro-scout didn't know him. Crisp would have been gone in the 7th. Kanzig and Goulbourne have been taken in the 3rd too and Crisp have more potential than both.....

And in the players you listed, no one can bring what he does so. Gimme a break!!!!!!!!

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:10 PM
  #205
brunosevigny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
My appreciation of this draft:
McCarron: Good pick by TT, was second on my wishlist at this point (behind Zykov). Great upside on this kid who brings something difficult to find. From my few viewings, I did see the offensive upside that McCarron could devellop. Alternate picks : Zykov, McCarron, Hartman, Erne Grade A

De la rose: I like what De la rose brings but I think he was taken a little early (had him at 36 on my list so not a big reach). A player who play the game like it should. Battles hard in the corners and in front of the net. Alternate picks: Zykov, Fucale, De la rose, Hagg Grade B+

Fucale: Stellar pick. To get the best goalie in this draft at this point is a total dream. Like I said before, one of my favorite G prospect since a long time. Only player that was higher on my list was Zykov but the way this draft went Fucale was my pick too. Alternate picks: Fucale, Zykov, Hagg, Santini, Dauphin Grade A+

Lekhonen: Simply BPA. For me Lekhonen, was a player that should have go early in the secons so having him at this point was a blessing. Alternate picks: Lekhonen, Carrier, Buchnevich Grade A+

Crisp: Only mistake of the draft for me, I just don't see it. I'll try not to bash because I don't know him very much but really... with the guys who were left... Alternate picks: Buchnevich, Hayden, Bjorkstrand Grade C

Andrighetto: Couldn't be more happy with this pick. Sven is my local boy since I live near Rouyn-Noranda. Saw him multiples time live and also at the WJC. Total package. Many of you guys will be surprised of how close to the NHL he is. Only players I would have taken over him are maybe Bjorkstrand and Cehlarik. Grade A

Last two picks were good gambles to me. Reway is a homerun pick for me. High end talent but smalish forward.In comparison Andrighetto is about the same size but is close to 190 pounds and really strong. Reway will need to bulk to have a chance to succeed. Gregoire is just a heart and soul guy. He is a warrior which is always a good thing to have in the system. Need to improve is skating but he has a lot of leadership.

Overall appreciation of the draft: A- to B+ at this point.

brunosevigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
  #206
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
hfboards pro-scout didn't know him. Crisp would have been gone in the 7th. Kanzig and Goulbourne have been taken in the 3rd too and Crisp have more potential than both.....
Hey, I hope you're right. I'm a die-hard Habs fan too and I'm all for adding toughness. If Crisp gives them that, then great. God knows they need it. Crisp isn't the only problem I have with this draft, and I wouldn't even have minded them taking him where they did if they'd staid the course instead of taking a couple of undersized albeit talented guys, and again, no Dman among all those available? Not even ONE? Sorry, I really don't know what they were trying to accomplish at the Habs table in that draft. Guess they're just way too smart for me. That's probably it, cause whatever it was they were trying to accomplish, I missed it, by a mile, or else they did.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  #207
WeThreeKings
Retired.
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Honestly, I hated the Crisp pick.. that being said, if he develops into Shawn Thornton, that's great value in the 3rd round.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:35 PM
  #208
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,579
vCash: 500
Drafting based on need isn't always the best way to go, but when the need is both there in the NHL club and the prospect pool, you don't have much a choice at that point. I can think of a half dozen of our picks that I would switch for another player available at the time, but I won't really complain about any of the ones we have because they all have potential.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  #209
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Honestly, I hated the Crisp pick.. that being said, if he develops into Shawn Thornton, that's great value in the 3rd round.
I agree, and I hope he does, I really do. I just feel strongly there were better picks (quite a few actually) available at #71 and that Crisp, if they wanted him, would have been available with a later pick. Even taking him at 116 I wouldn't have minded. It's all moot now of course, what's done is done and I've ranted on long enough.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
  #210
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,857
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Honestly, I hated the Crisp pick.. that being said, if he develops into Shawn Thornton, that's great value in the 3rd round.
Could go from Shawn Thornton to Matt Hendricks.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:26 AM
  #211
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 14,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Great name.

We already have an undersized defense. Redundant.
you should have said "we already have an under-under-under-sized defense."

guy is not undersized, guy is miniature, diminutive, petite, microscopic, pocket-sized kind of small. if his name wasn't subban, nobody would give two shakes of an aids monkey about him.

how's ryan ellis doing these days?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:35 AM
  #212
JonathanToews19clutc*
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
A+!

I'm really excited about this draft.

Montreal have drafted of the big gamble (risk/reward) like Michael McCarron, Artturi Lehkonen, Sven Andrighetto and Martin Reway.

- Jacob de la Rose play like Gabriel Landeskog, less offense potential (2nd/3rd line player), i love this kid, he is first round talent!

- Zach Fucale has potential to be a dominant goalie in NHL!

JonathanToews19clutc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
  #213
BRAD HABSFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: JERSEY COAST
Country: United States
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Sitting back and reading AND re-reading peoples thoughts I have changed my grade from incomplete to a B+. Still think it is too early to judge the draft, but with soo many people jumping off the Habs bridge over the River Stanley Cup this has to be a good draft. Its easy for us to be spending other peoples money and time; there's no risk, but until MB has a history of bad decisions or signings then I give him a pass. I bet if we research the Galchenyuk pick there were alot of people jumping off bridge due to the kids injury and missing a year of hockey. Too risky at #3 etc,,

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:54 AM
  #214
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,411
vCash: 500
Gainey : "Skill within the Rules"
Gauthier: "Speed with Intelligence"
Bergevin: "Beef not Chicken"

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:33 AM
  #215
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
McCarron: This pick bothers me. Maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember us wasting our first rounder year in and out in the 90's picking big guys who couldn't skate. A lot of people compare him to Lucic, but even that is a bit off as Lucic was a good skater when he was drafted and he was picked near the end of the second round instead of near the end of the first. To me McCarron is boom or bust - if he booms we will have one hell of a player, but if he busts he'll be a barely passable AHL player. C+

De la Rose: A good player taken a little bit early. You can probably get him with the Fucale pick, but not Lekhonen, so not that early. Like his game but like McCarron he's high on drive and heart and a bit low on skill. However De La Rose can skate, which makes him more attractive in my mind. The fact that he was playing as a 17 year old against men and helped his team earn a promotion to the big leagues also says a lot about where his game is right now. I don't think he's eligible to come over next season, but I'd expect to see him in a Habs jersey sooner than anyone else we picked up in the draft. B+

Fucale: I hate - hate - that we picked a goalie in the first two rounds. There's just not enough evidence to suggest there's any value in it - goalies take so long to develop that forecasting their future performance is akin to tossing darts at the wall. With that said if you're going to take one you might as well take the best one on the board with you third pick of the draft. Looking at it from the standpoint of asset management Fucale is worth as much or more as any other player available at that point. He was arguably the BPA. Taking him was a no brainer. I feel bad for the kid though - one only needs to look at the long list of goaltenders this club and this fanbase have broken over their collective knees over the years.... A+

Lekhonen: Kind of the opposite of McCarron - a lot of skill but no size. Like de la Rose he's a boy playing with men and that speaks gobs about his current talent level, but I think his size is going to hinder him here. However at this point any pick is going to have a few warts and Lekhonen seems to have a lot of positives going for him. Probably needs to be hooked up with whoever trains Gallagher to work on that lower body strength to he can take his game to a higher level. B+

Crisp: Bad skater, limited talent. Even at this point we should be picking guys who can skate better than Connor. Year of lost development also hurts. You can pick up guys like Connor on the FA market for a nickel, so I really think this is a waste of a pick. F

Andrighetto: Might be a sleeper pick. Love his speed and his hands. Size is a concern, but like Lekhonen and Gallagher he seems to be more than happy to go to the corners to make the play. If he can make his size and skillset work for us I think we'll have a very good player here. A

Reway: Anyone picked at this point is a longshot, obviously, but Reway has some skills that bump his chances a little bit. His ability to dangle is great but I think he gets by on it too much (i.e. he doesn't work on the harder, more physical stuff because he can dangle his way past other 18 year olds - but that won't work in the NHL). Interesting at this point at least. B.

Gregoire: Average skater, but at this point who isn't. Plays a two way game. Probably will never make the NHL but has the "right" skillset for being picked in the later rounds. B

Overall Rating: B

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
  #216
GhettoBlaster
PK BAYBAY
 
GhettoBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
McCarron: I like this pick...could be a bust for sure but with the talent influx from last year's draft, this was the right time to swing for the fence with the type of player were severely lacking in this organisation. I was hoping hard for Rychel but that was a pipe dream....Grade : B+

De la Rose: Love this pick. He was ranked end of the 1st in some mocks and I saw enough games from him to be happy about the pick. He's a relentless forechecker with great speed and very high hockey IQ. We will like him a lot and if he can develop some hands we have a gem in our hands. Worst he is the perfect 3rd line PK/Grinder. Grade : A

Fucale: I'm also against picking goalies early but with the hole we had it was a smart choice. Zach is very composed, he thrives under big pressure and after bad goals he rebounds very well. All that at 17 years old....by the way he was very good last year at 16 when the team was far from stacked. He went on from a 3-0 deficit to eliminate my Qc Remparts in 7 by being masterful to say the least. He could be a strong #1 even in MTL. Grade : A+



Lekhonen: Very happy. All skills guy with unlimited offensive upside. If he can bulk up could be a very special grab for us. 30 pts in 45 games in a men's league is impressive for this tiny finnish. worth the gamble at 55th. Grade : A+

Crisp: Not that happy but this could be a Timmin's secret well kept. This guy scored 22 goals on a very bad Otters team this year and he has a big frame. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Timmin's magic worked there. Grade : C+

Andrighetto: Happy. another all skills guy who dominates junior hockey. Not afraid of any traffic and he's feisty as we love them. Gem or bust cause he would never play on grinding lines. Grade : B+

Reway: Very happy. Reway is a dynamo offensively. I watched his 7 point game and he's very elusive with very nice hands and GREAT vision. Could be a better DD with guts. Boom or bust. Grade : B+

Gregoire: Love him. No harm in taking a french guy with the last pick and he's a good one. I would not be surprised to see him in the NHL one day. That's the best thing we can say about a 7th rounder....the guy has HEART and he loves the habs on top of it. Grade : A


Overall Grade : B+/A (There's no B ++ )

I think we can be pretty happy about this crop cause we adressed the size and goalie issues....and at the same time we grabbed some pieces that we don't already have. I see a lot of positives and we can see they have a plan and search for particular pieces. Yeah they could have picked Petan or some other SKILLED players at 34-36 but that's not what we NEED! I'm always a BPA guy but if there's a year to draft for need it was this one. Loved all your opinions and looking forward to discuss !

GhettoBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:11 AM
  #217
AJMHABS
Chucky #27
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
I give it an A. Timmins and Bergevin added size and goaltending, elements that we were missing for a while, and we also added more skill to stockpile on top of what we already have.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:38 AM
  #218
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcherock View Post
McCarron: I like this pick...could be a bust for sure but with the talent influx from last year's draft, this was the right time to swing for the fence with the type of player were severely lacking in this organisation. I was hoping hard for Rychel but that was a pipe dream....Grade : B+

De la Rose: Love this pick. He was ranked end of the 1st in some mocks and I saw enough games from him to be happy about the pick. He's a relentless forechecker with great speed and very high hockey IQ. We will like him a lot and if he can develop some hands we have a gem in our hands. Worst he is the perfect 3rd line PK/Grinder. Grade : A

Fucale: I'm also against picking goalies early but with the hole we had it was a smart choice. Zach is very composed, he thrives under big pressure and after bad goals he rebounds very well. All that at 17 years old....by the way he was very good last year at 16 when the team was far from stacked. He went on from a 3-0 deficit to eliminate my Qc Remparts in 7 by being masterful to say the least. He could be a strong #1 even in MTL. Grade : A+



Lekhonen: Very happy. All skills guy with unlimited offensive upside. If he can bulk up could be a very special grab for us. 30 pts in 45 games in a men's league is impressive for this tiny finnish. worth the gamble at 55th. Grade : A+

Crisp: Not that happy but this could be a Timmin's secret well kept. This guy scored 22 goals on a very bad Otters team this year and he has a big frame. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Timmin's magic worked there. Grade : C+

Andrighetto: Happy. another all skills guy who dominates junior hockey. Not afraid of any traffic and he's feisty as we love them. Gem or bust cause he would never play on grinding lines. Grade : B+

Reway: Very happy. Reway is a dynamo offensively. I watched his 7 point game and he's very elusive with very nice hands and GREAT vision. Could be a better DD with guts. Boom or bust. Grade : B+

Gregoire: Love him. No harm in taking a french guy with the last pick and he's a good one. I would not be surprised to see him in the NHL one day. That's the best thing we can say about a 7th rounder....the guy has HEART and he loves the habs on top of it. Grade : A


Overall Grade : B+/A (There's no B ++ )

I think we can be pretty happy about this crop cause we adressed the size and goalie issues....and at the same time we grabbed some pieces that we don't already have. I see a lot of positives and we can see they have a plan and search for particular pieces. Yeah they could have picked Petan or some other SKILLED players at 34-36 but that's not what we NEED! I'm always a BPA guy but if there's a year to draft for need it was this one. Loved all your opinions and looking forward to discuss !
I enjoyed reading your review here. Thanks.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
  #219
GhettoBlaster
PK BAYBAY
 
GhettoBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I enjoyed reading your review here. Thanks.
Feel free to add your input !

GhettoBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
  #220
CaptainC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
MM : B : he's a project and we will have to wait. However, I like the pick as we do need size.

JDR : B : with Zykov still on the board I think we could've done better. Still a safe pick that could end up as a 2nd line powerforward, so I'm not mad about it.

Fucale : A : that's a steal at 36 imo.

Lehkonen : B/B+ : BPA, however, we already have a lot of players like him in our prospect pool. I saw he grew an inch or two since the beginning of the year. He could end up taller when he is NHL ready (maybe he's not finished growing).

Crisp : D : He shows interesting upside for a goon, but I think there were better players with size at this spot. Think John Hayden/Pavel Bunnevich/Peter Cehlárik. This pick could end up being a waste especially since he is an over-ager.

Andrighetto : C+, We already have a lot of players like him in the prospect pool. He still has interesting offensive upside none the less.

Reway : C+ : Good pick but again, small forward.

Gregoire : B : Haven't heard a lot about him, however he was ranked higher then where we picked him.

CaptainC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:04 AM
  #221
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcherock View Post
Feel free to add your input !
I'm not too qualified to speak much on our draft because all I know is what I read in the draft preview articles and what guys say here. So, I do more listening.

I have been upset with some guys who are quick to judge our picks so harshly though. I can understand their frustration over not getting a player they like, but to condemn a young kid before he even starts his playing with our organization seems a bit premature if you ask me. I remain hopeful, but still enjoy reading objective analysis.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
  #222
jayze25*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hab Nation
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
C+ only because of Fucale.


We added size yes BUT, you need Talent + Size to make it to the nhl and be an asset to the team. Being 6'4 doesn't make you Lucic.

I think we didn't get a 1st rounder in this draft. At best, we got a big 3rd line in 4 years.


All of this, of course, from someone who isn't a scout, like all of us.

jayze25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:02 PM
  #223
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five
 
FieryTherrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Look up. Waaaaaay up
Posts: 6,714
vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Could go from Shawn Thornton to Matt Hendricks.
Pretty sure this kid could beat the crap out of Matt Hendricks.



He's got Terry's rugged good looks. Extra Crispy.

FieryTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
  #224
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,857
vCash: 725
Okay people stop the presses...If you finally want an idea of how great the draft really is, you just have to read this. Then you'll have an opinion...but prepare to be.....SHOCKED....

And for our anglophone friends....this is your favorite RDS commentator saying "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" to the Habs draft.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/m...mplie-1.637502

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:37 PM
  #225
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay people stop the presses...If you finally want an idea of how great the draft really is, you just have to read this. Then you'll have an opinion...but prepare to be.....SHOCKED....

And for our anglophone friends....this is your favorite RDS commentator saying "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" to the Habs draft.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/m...mplie-1.637502
Is this in English somewhere?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.