HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hodgson for kassian, just off the top of my head. Trades are rare as it is. Paring that list down to 1 for 1 trades where both players involved are outliers in terms of size, will be, by nature, rare.

McCarron hasn't filled anything yet, and his size won't help us score goals if he's stuck in the AHL. And your post goes a lot farther in showing the irrationality we see in the NHL regarding size rather than justifying it. A prospect can be doing everything better than another prospect, but if he's just a few inches shorter, no cigar.
The thing is we aren't comparing 25 year olds, we are comparing 18 year olds. There is plenty of room for improvement for both players. There is no irrationality here, I understand the point you are making. The best player is the best player, but we can't predict their careers at this point.

The argument is irrelevant anyways as I was originally speaking about Audette, who hasn't even done half of what Petan did his draft year. Yet someone thinks it would be okay to draft him late in the 1st while Petan was picked 43rd.

Old
01-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The thing is we aren't comparing 25 year olds, we are comparing 18 year olds. There is plenty of room for improvement for both players. There is no irrationality here, I understand the point you are making. The best player is the best player, but we can't predict their careers at this point.

The argument is irrelevant anyways as I was originally speaking about Audette, who hasn't even done half of what Petan did his draft year. Yet someone thinks it would be okay to draft him late in the 1st while Petan was picked 43rd.
The guy didn't mean late first. He meant late pick.

Old
01-12-2014, 12:43 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
The guy didn't mean late first. He meant late pick.
My mistake.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Mathletic

Pépin playing on a line with Poirier. Doing some good things forcing turnovers in the offensive zone.

edit: should be given the goal that originally went to Reway as he deflected the puck in front of the net, so 1G and 1A today, 5th point in 3 games so far. Seems to be getting the message.

Last edited by Mathletic: 01-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old
01-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Pépin playing on a line with Poirier. Doing some good things forcing turnovers in the offensive zone.

edit: should be given the goal that originally went to Reway as he deflected the puck in front of the net, so 1G and 1A today, 5th point in 3 games so far. Seems to be getting the message.
I still see him as a 4th/5th rounder. If so, he's well worth the pick for us.

As for the 1st, Alex Tuch really intreagues me

Old
01-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Can people fill me on Alex Tuch ? Seems like an interesting prospect for his size.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Ehlers and Bleackley are too low on these rankings but possibly all the better for us. If we can somehow get out of the draft with these 2 and some project goalies/skaters....

Old
01-13-2014, 11:15 AM
WestIslander

Alex Tuch is exactly the player I want to draft if we draft in the bottom third of the draft, 20 to 30, he is a 6'3" RW with a powerful stride and stong on the puck, he also has a scoring touch and is seen as a power forward, with Pacioretty on the left and Galchenyuk or Eller at center, all we need is size on the right hand size because Thomas, Gallagher and Collberg are all smaller players.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-D...iles/Alex-Tuch

Old
01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I still see him as a 4th/5th rounder. If so, he's well worth the pick for us.

As for the 1st, Alex Tuch really intreagues me
Pépin is ranked 135th NA Skater. Or something like that.

1st - That equates to 5th rounder at best.
2nd - How the mighty have fallen.

This said. He can turn it around and in a good team to do so.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Kobe Armstrong

I kind of want Ryan Macinnis

Old
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Pépin is ranked 135th NA Skater. Or something like that.

1st - That equates to 5th rounder at best.
2nd - How the mighty have fallen.

This said. He can turn it around and in a good team to do so.
If that is where he's ranked than all the better. Definately worth the pick

Old
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Alex Tuch is exactly the player I want to draft if we draft in the bottom third of the draft, 20 to 30, he is a 6'3" RW with a powerful stride and stong on the puck, he also has a scoring touch and is seen as a power forward, with Pacioretty on the left and Galchenyuk or Eller at center, all we need is size on the right hand size because Thomas, Gallagher and Collberg are all smaller players.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-D...iles/Alex-Tuch
I'd go as high as 15th for this kid.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Can people fill me on Alex Tuch ? Seems like an interesting prospect for his size.
I like his name. It's a good hockey name. Also, he's big. I like big players. We need to draft more of those guys. Especially if they come from Kingston and westward.

Edit:

Old
01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
MaxLacoste

IMO, our prospects pool needs: 1 high-end two-way dmen, 1 high-end offensive left wing, center, size at depth, defense depth

I think we can TRY to find some of that in the 2014 draft.

1st round: Ivan Barbashev
2nd round: Alexis Vanier
3rd round: Alexis Pépin

That would give us those options for our line up (only from our farm)

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg/McCarron
Hudon/Lehkonen/Barbashev - Eller - McCarron/Collberg
Hudon/Lehkonen - De La Rose/Bournival/Pépin - McCarron/Leblanc
Crisp - Vail/De La Rose/Bournival/Pépin - McCarron

Tinordi/Beaulieu - Subban
Gorges/Tinordi - Beaulieu/Vanier
Emelin - Thrower/Ellis/Vanier

Old
01-13-2014, 08:58 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

What can people tell me about Nick Ritchie? I was looking at the NHL CSS report and saw Ritchie was ~6'3" and 231lbs.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddFX View Post
What can people tell me about Nick Ritchie? I was looking at the NHL CSS report and saw Ritchie was ~6'3" and 231lbs.
If he's anything like his brother he's definitely worth a pick.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
He is a typical PWF, he hits to hurt people and has strong hockey sense but his production has stalled a bit. I find similarities with him and Zack Kassian coming out!
Even tough his production has stalled, I don't see him falling out of top10.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Gainesvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Another Bloodline prospect and a personal favorite of mine is Ryan Verbeek son of Pat Verbeek from the New Jersey Devils. Verbeek always left everything on the ice, a full effort every shift, something not lost on his son. Even with the chaos in Windsor this year, the best is yet to come after the trade to Kingston Frontenacs. Watch this guy climb the rankings in the next six months and his team with him. The Frontenacs needed another line to spread out their scoring and Verbeek will be able to help them there IMO. Character +
I agree with this. Ryan Verbeek is the real deal.

Please, no Ho-Sang for the Habs.

I'll be surprised if this draft class doesn't go down as one of the weakest ever in NHL history when all is said and done. Lots of "meh" prospects in the first round this year.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:31 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Beast but half the time he doesn't use his body as much as you want him to. Good offensive skills in the powerforward mold. Huge potential if he can consistently use his body. Should go really early though.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:32 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainesvillain View Post

I'll be surprised if this draft class doesn't go down as one of the weakest ever in NHL history when all is said and done. Lots of "meh" prospects in the first round this year.
Ho Sang definetly won't get picked by us. Timmins stated several times if there is a lot of paridy between players he goes for size. Without a doubt montreal will be looking to draft a big guy with there first. I wouldn't be suprised at all if the habs moved up to pick Nick Ritchie who when it's all said and done could be 6'4 240

Old
01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Mathletic

Surprised CSS has DeAngelo over McCann. If ever McCann started falling, which I highly doubt, I'd be in favor of trading up to get him for sure. Virtanen is all over the place on most rankings. Interesting kid I find. I like Fabbri also at forward.

Would be thrilled to get Vanier in the second round. Mason McDonald also underrated in the Q so far. Hope he gets a ton of ice-time until the end of the year for Charlottetown.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainesvillain View Post

I have a different opinion. Not many sexy picks but there will be tons of useful players available. IMO this year we will see how well can some teams scout as there is a lot of players from Europe that could also skew the ranking.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Beast but half the time he doesn't use his body as much as you want him to. Good offensive skills in the powerforward mold. Huge potential if he can consistently use his body. Should go really early though.
Id still choose Tuch, because he'll actually be in our area of the draft (20-25) and he's very consistent with his effort, use of size and defensive play.

But Richie gets picked1st....his potential is higher.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
That

Jake Virtanen has been on fire lately. Seven goals and 12 points in seven games this month. Hard to not like how he plays the game. Explosive skater and drives the net hard. Such an intriguing skill set.

The Kitchener Rangers' leading scorer is not Justin Bailey, nor is it Radek Faksa (before he was traded), it's rookie Nick Magyar. Slow start, but in his last 23 games he's got 25 points. Super hard worker. Surprisingly physical player at times and he possesses some quick hands. I absolutely love the way he's played this season and he's rising up the rankings.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Ritchie. Great skater, great puck skills, and great instincts. Not only is he a combination of size, speed, and skill, but he's a very punishing player at times. He can beat you with sheer strength, flat out speed, or with skill. He can take over games like few can at the OHL. Sometimes it's comical watching players attempt to get the puck off him. When he's on, he loves to set the tone for the game, with a big check or an early goal.

But he lacks consistency and sometimes he just doesn't come ready to play. Sometimes he won't use his size to hit or protect the puck. I have noticed that you can always tell when he's ready to play, though, as he looks for a big hit early in the game. He also tends to take frustrating penalties and is quite raw for a third year player. When he's on, he's a mean, net driving, skilled player with an element of unpredictability to his game.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:51 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Seems people have the same opinion of Nick Ritchie. Does his lack of consistency make him a high risk high reward player?

Closed Thread