HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Nathan MacKinnon Thread

Old
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I always got the feeling Poile was one of the guys that thought Patrick was playing a game with everyone, and was gonna pick Jones, and Poile said that about Seth mostly to make the Avs look bad and keep it from working. It was such an odd comment to make, and very oddly timed. Then he seemed to downplay those comments after the Avs picked Nate.

What if Jones had been picked before him. He'd be answering questions all day about, "are you sad you didn't get Jones?" Not very welcoming to your new draft pick.

Seriously, what would the purpose be to make those comments? To lower the asking price for 1st overall? I don't think it would work any better than saying no until you got the right deal.

You see teams say we had this guy ranked pretty high after the fact, but you don't see teams publicly saying another team is wrong with their BPA. Just seems kinda in bad taste, and something about Poile has always irked me like he's a bit of a weasle that way.
I think the gms had to have already showed their hands to each other at that point. I think he was very confident jones was falling to them and was starting the hype early. Now we're hearing from nsh fans that they got their bpa and are thrilled rather than possibly being upset with a leftover.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
I think the gms had to have already showed their hands to each other at that point. I think he was very confident jones was falling to them and was starting the hype early. Now we're hearing from nsh fans that they got their bpa and are thrilled rather than possibly being upset with a leftover.
I'd be surprised if they got enough info to feel confident TB wouldn't take Jones if he was available.

Yzerman was shown talking on the phone when his pick was up, so that was likely some team, maybe even Nashville calling to try and trade up to pick Jones.

That would be awfully ballsy to expect Jones to be there at #4 for them, when he made those comments days before the draft.

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:54 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
I'd be surprised if they got enough info to feel confident TB wouldn't take Jones if he was available.

Yzerman was shown talking on the phone when his pick was up, so that was likely some team, maybe even Nashville calling to try and trade up to pick Jones.

That would be awfully ballsy to expect Jones to be there at #4 for them, when he made those comments days before the draft.
I just don't think you can make the comment unless you're very confident of other teams draft boards. He knew who colorado was taking. Maybe he tried to trade up to 2 to get jones, but Florida told him they couldn't risk not getting one of the centers. Then it's just yzerman. Maybe theres a lot of gm's very high on drouin at 3 and he lets it be known among the gm's at he's planning on taking him, so any gm's that wanted drouin would have to direct trade offers to him, not Poile. That trade would also very likely end with the new team taking drouin as well.

A lot of maybes in there but it has to be more likely than Poile making such a reckless statement out of the blue. If TB takes jones on draft day, the whole story would be about how they settled for drouin.

Old
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Averick*

Quote:
One variable that's not mentioned here is the possibility of a trade. It was reported before the draft that Calgary offered their 3 firsts to the Avs for the #1. If those 3 firsts were all about drafting Jones, they might have entered the equation at 2 or 3 after MacKinnon was off the board. In a deep draft, there was a lot of talent available at those three firsts. But the way it went down is actually re-assurance to me that MacKinnon was widely seen as the real talent of this draft. Are we to seriously believe that, if the Flames coveted Jones, their 3 firsts wouldn't have moved them up to #2, 3, or 4? Doubtful.

Averick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Just out of curiosity, based on what?
As I mentioned previously. The Avs were offered a lot by Calgary that was made public (and who knows what else that is unknown). The Avs remained stalwart and kept the pick. If MacKinnon wasn't the talent of the draft, similar proposals would have impacted the draft at 2 and 3.

Averick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
cgf
Fire Bednar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averick View Post
As I mentioned previously. The Avs were offered a lot by Calgary that was made public (and who knows what else that is unknown). The Avs remained stalwart and kept the pick. If MacKinnon wasn't the talent of the draft, similar proposals would have impacted the draft at 2 and 3.
Or there were just 4 talents of this draft and so calgary's trio of picks weren't worth it any of the top 4.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 09:30 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
I would think though Nashville at 4 would have to really think about only moving down two spots and picking up two other firsts. It would be tough to pass on Jones, surely the clear BPA at that point but if the Avs were in that position to pick up two extra high end assets for only moving down two spots it would be worth thinking about. I agree with the point that MacKinnon was the prize in this draft.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
cgf
Fire Bednar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I would think though Nashville at 4 would have to really think about only moving down two spots and picking up two other firsts. It would be tough to pass on Jones, surely the clear BPA at that point but if the Avs were in that position to pick up two extra high end assets for only moving down two spots it would be worth thinking about. I agree with the point that MacKinnon was the prize in this draft.
I don't think the drop from Jones to Nich or whoever else you'd pick at 6 is worth the other two Calgary picks. I'm all on board with the Mac at #1 pick, but I think the gap between the top 4 is a lot less than from 4 to 6.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Speaking of gaps, it just seems like there's such a gap between what the team with the pick wants for it, and what another team is willing to give up. The team with the pick isn't sure if they'll be giving up a big time player, and getting a much worse one down the board, so they need a huge deal to give it up. Meanwhile, the team trading for the pick also isn't sure what kind of player they'll be getting in the end, so they don't want to give up a king's ransom for just an ok player.

It's such a huge advantage in the cap era NHL to get high end draft picks to fill out your lineup, it's almost set up to never see trades at the top of the board.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
Probably just total wild speculation, but see MacKinnon is wearing #29 at WJC camp. Could have been just given that number, I'm sure. Though if he does not get #22 with the Avs, I had been thinking #29 would be a good combo of #22 and #9 plus there isn't much history of #29 with the Avs and I like the synergy of #9, #29, #92. Food for thought anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG‎ (80.5 KB, 36 views)

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Probably just total wild speculation, but see MacKinnon is wearing #29 at WJC camp. Could have been just given that number, I'm sure. Though if he does not get #22 with the Avs, I had been thinking #29 would be a good combo of #22 and #9 plus there isn't much history of #29 with the Avs and I like the synergy of #9, #29, #92. Food for thought anyway.
Looks like Gauthier got 22, probably because he's older. I'd guess that's the reason.

Hope he doesn't go with 29 on the Avs. That's a pretty ugly looking number IMO. Go with 25 or 10 or 16 or something, those suit him in his role.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Clainer09

Quote:
Looks like Mantha got 22, probably because he's older. I'd guess that's the reason.

Hope he doesn't go with 29 on the Avs. That's a pretty ugly looking number IMO. Go with 25 or 10 or 16 or something, those suit him in his role.
I had a dream the other night that Nathan picked #95 because of his birth year like Landy. And I have to say, he looked good with 95 in my dream.

Clainer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
tucker3434

Why are he and drouin at wjc camp? Don't the wjcs happen during the nhl season? Or do they just carry on until the nhl is a sure thing?

Old
08-05-2013, 12:36 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
I am still hopeful that MacKinnon will wear number 22 this year, but 29 doesn't sound bad either.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Why are he and drouin at wjc camp? Don't the wjcs happen during the nhl season? Or do they just carry on until the nhl is a sure thing?
They usually invite players even if they're likely to make the NHL. They don't want to make assumptions one who's going to make the NHL. Anything can happen.

There's also been a few cases where teams let their youngsters play in the WJC even though they're on the team. I'd be very surprised if Colorado or TB does that though.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
I had actually been speculating that he'll wear #29 as well. Didn't Mac wear #9 before he wore #22? Obviously that's not an option in Colorado, and some players have gone from #9 to #19, which is obviously not an option either in Colorado. So next in line is #29, and it does share the same digits as #22 and #9.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:50 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Looks like Gauthier got 22, probably because he's older. I'd guess that's the reason.

Markus Naslund wore #29 in Pittsburgh, and I thought it looked fine back then.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

91 isn't available?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Seen him in #13 twice. Once at the Avs meet and greet on July 1 and once in a picture in the newspaper. Maybe it's just random, but it seems odd they'd have him in a number he won't be wearing, especially for a picture for the paper.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Seen him in #13 twice. Once at the Avs meet and greet on July 1 and once in a picture in the newspaper. Maybe it's just random, but it seems odd they'd have him in a number he won't be wearing, especially for a picture for the paper.
He was drafted in 2013, so I'm pretty sure that's the reason he's wearing #13. I hope he wears #22.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

"69! Take the number 69, It's hilarious!"

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:08 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
91 isn't available?
91 would be cool. Really anything other than 18 is good with me though.

Old
08-05-2013, 02:21 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
It's because '13 is his draft year.

The same way that Landeskog wore 11 when he was drafted and on media day.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
PepsiCenterMagic
Food is Great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXAW6tmk3DM

Pretty good highlights video made in June/July. Perhaps the best I have seen because it shows the development of the plays.

PepsiCenterMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Eric Messier would like a word with you, and when he's done he wants you to polish the place on the Cup where his name appears.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote