HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pirri or LeBlanc

View Poll Results: Pirri or LeBlanc?
Pirri 60 84.51%
LeBlanc 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
He was 20, scoring 31 in 43 games btw and they always award the Hobey Baker to bums.
Look at this list of NHL all stars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobey_B...#Award_winners

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
this could be a likely scenario as we now only have Toews and Kruger as our only legit centers on the roster. I like Zeus and would welcome him back in a reduced capacity, just not sure if thats in the cards.

I like Shaw at center, but if both Pirri and LeBlanc impress, why not have both start up with the big boys and see what they can do?? Its not like they are 18-19 year old kids, both players are at a point in their career where you have to give them an opportunity to see what they can do and I can live with both of them as centers to start the season out. If it doesnt work, send down the player who isnt tearing it up and move Shaw back to center..
How can you say Shaw is not a legit center? He just played center all year for a Stanley Cup champion.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
How can you say Shaw is not a legit center? He just played center all year for a Stanley Cup champion.
I think he will be more effective on the wing to be honest. Not a fan of Shaw at center but it is what we had to do this year.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
this could be a likely scenario as we now only have Toews and Kruger as our only legit centers on the roster. I like Zeus and would welcome him back in a reduced capacity, just not sure if thats in the cards.

I like Shaw at center, but if both Pirri and LeBlanc impress, why not have both start up with the big boys and see what they can do?? Its not like they are 18-19 year old kids, both players are at a point in their career where you have to give them an opportunity to see what they can do and I can live with both of them as centers to start the season out. If it doesnt work, send down the player who isnt tearing it up and move Shaw back to center..
I totally agree with this. I know some will freak out that you can't trust rookies in 2 centers spots. but you're always one game away from putting Shaw or even Ben Smith in to one of those roles if something isn't working out right.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
I didn't realize the question was would Pirri or LeBlanc be an All Star. I thought we were discussing which center would stick with the club. Lots of gray between that and All Star caliber.

Reminds me of those who were dissing BCHL a while back. Ever skated with or against a Hobey Baker winner? They are OUTSTANDING players, sometimes the future doesn't always pan out as planned however.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I didn't realize the question was would Pirri or LeBlanc be an All Star. I thought we were discussing which center would stick with the club. Lots of gray between that and All Star caliber.

Reminds me of those who were dissing BCHL a while back. Ever skated with or against a Hobey Baker winner? They are OUTSTANDING players, sometimes the future doesn't always pan out as planned however.
Go look at that list, just a few NHL players on it. Winning that award has no bearing on if a player can hack it in the NHL. Being very good at a young age in the AHL is a very good indicator that a player will succeed in the NHL.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:54 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:

That list is filled with guys who couldn't hack it at the highest level. They're better hockey players than most. So is everyone in the ECHL.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:55 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Being very good at a young age in the AHL is a very good indicator that a player will succeed in the NHL.
Not really, no.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Go look at that list, just a few NHL players on it. Winning that award has no bearing on if a player can hack it in the NHL. Being very good at a young age in the AHL is a very good indicator that a player will succeed in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Not really, no.
There is no very good indicator of which players will succeed at the NHL level, thought that would be obvious to most here.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

There are a few indicators, the Hobey Baker award just isn't one of them. Nothing is foolproof though, that's for sure.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
more than just a few NHLers on that list...from 1992-2002 the list of kids that won the Hobey Baker is pretty impressive as there are some excellent NHLers in there. that 10 year span produced only 2 what I would call NHL busts...

in the years since 2002, there have been some hits with some misses, but consider this award like the Heisman trophy...it doesnt always translate into instant professional success, but it does have value and does have a solid history of players that have won it.

Andy Miele and Blake Geoffrion are going to be good NHL players, they already have shown that they can be...just need to be given thatfull-time chance. LeBlanc isn't guaranteed anything, but being a Hobey Baker winner isn't going to one way or another change that.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:37 PM
giza

Pirri vs Leblanc

I truly haven't seen enough of Leblanc to evaluate him, but I get the impression he'll be an real good NHLer, but not sure of his ability to play D at the NHL level. He's similar to Pirri, but Pirri has come along way to put up points and play decent enough D to get his chance with the big club. Pirri is our man for the 2nd line and I look forward to seeing what he can do with some decent NHL wingers on his flanks.

giza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
SLarmer28

Is Pirri any good at faceoffs?

If the Chicago Blackhawks don't win the faceoff battle, there will another meltdown next season on this message board.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Yeah, his defense has certainly become a meme here now that I think about it. You know what meme means right? I am not arguing that his defense is sub-par, I am arguing that his defense is talked about ad nauseam...which it is.
I know, I just don't think that overall, Pirri is much talked about

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:48 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I legit LOL'd.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Haven't even seen this picture before. Perfect response

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:37 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHolyToews View Post
Have you ever heard the expression "practice hero." I'm just saying Leblanc would have to overwhelm Pirri rather than simply be somewhat better than him to get the spot, at least in my eyes.

It's like when Pirri outplayed Kruger in camp but Kruger got the spot anyway.
The truth is (unfortunately) that Q has mentally made his decision and it will take a lot to change it. He's done it every year - the obvious ones were Leddy, Kruger and Saad.... and shunned others without giving them much of a look. I'm afraid that Pirri is not on his "faves' list so short of him playing lights out hockey from the get go, I won't be surprised if he ends up back in RFD pretty quickly once again. As for LeBlanc: just the fact that he was given ice time in the stretch drive gives the impression that Q likes him but I doubt he is ready to make the jump. It will be interesting to see if both players are given a fair shake to show they belong.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Just because Sharp went back to LW doesn't mean Shaw isn't a legit C. He was a legit C through his entire career.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Just because Sharp went back to LW doesn't mean Shaw isn't a legit C. He was a legit C through his entire career.
Right, people still want Sharp back at center

Old
07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
Is Pirri any good at faceoffs?

If the Chicago Blackhawks don't win the faceoff battle, there will another meltdown next season on this message board.
Didn't Chicago disprove the theory that face offs are important last year?

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Didn't Chicago disprove the theory that face offs are important last year?
They certainly bucked the trend, didn't they? It's not something they should adamantly strive to improve, but better numbers definitely wouldn't be a bad thing.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote