HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Only 8 skaters left from last Sabres playoff game

Old
07-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
I haven't checked on the accuracy of it yet but Bucky was making a point in one of his recent TBN videos about how the Sabres have made fewer roster changes since 2010 than the Blackhawks made between their two Cup winning rosters that season. He was trying to argue that a successful organization like Chicago still makes changes to its roster and remains competitive whereas the Sabres missed the playoffs 2 of the 3 seasons in that period while keeping more of their roster intact.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I haven't checked on the accuracy of it yet but Bucky was making a point in one of his recent TBN videos about how the Sabres have made fewer roster changes since 2010 than the Blackhawks made between their two Cup winning rosters that season. He was trying to argue that a successful organization like Chicago still makes changes to its roster and remains competitive whereas the Sabres missed the playoffs 2 of the 3 seasons in that period while keeping more of their roster intact.
The Hawks have 9 players on their current roster that played during their previous Cup winning season, 10 if you want to count Crawford's 1 game call up that year. The majority of changes that were made were essentially forced onto the Hawks due to the cap issues they had after winning the Cup. Something they are going through again.

But the primary core of the Hawks is pretty much the same as it was last Cup win. As it should be due to their previous success. Is it really that big of a deal to move around the support pieces when the core is rock solid, young and proven like the Hawks group?

As for the Sabres, they have only 7 players still on the roster from the 09-10 season; Vanek, Myers, Stafford, Kaleta, Ennis, Gerbe and Miller, like with Crawford you can count Enroth's 1 game if you like to make it 8.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
sabresfan3383

Send a message via AIM to sabresfan3383
You could add Leino, he did play in that game too

sabresfan3383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
pigpen65

Stafford and Leino need to GTFO yesterday.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

This team may love my three favorite players from 3-1 in order in one offseason. Yikes.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:05 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

A more relevant topic may be to project who on the Sabres roster with playoff experience will still be there the NEXT time BUF makes the playoffs.

I post this because (after determining the fate or return of Miller and Vanek) that playoff experience gap may be the next proper focus for Darcy.

Assuming the next playoff horizon is 2015-2016, then...

Sabres with Sabres playoff experience:
Weber - will likely have chance to still be around
Myers - will likely have chance to still be around
Vanek - doubtful**
Miller - doubtful
Kaleta - yes, if injuries don't hobble him
Ennis - will likely have chance to still be around
McCormick - No
Gerbe - No
Stafford - doubtful**

Enroth - I'll say he doesn't count.

Add to that players with non-Sabre playoff experience:
Ehrhoff - yes, if not too old
Leino - yes, if injuries don't hobble him

**Given the above, next offseason (2014) I'd expect Regier to add playoff veteran winger or two to replace Stafford, and Vanek if moved. The lack of playoff experience / leadership may be a factor in deciding whether to retain Vanek. I expect no such consideration to be given re: Drew.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote