HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Season Roster Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 05:42 PM
  #26
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 8,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
And it's a done deal.
Huge gamble by Maloney, I really hope Smith doesn't let him down.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
  #27
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,719
vCash: 500
Any word on how this monstrosity is structured yet?

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
  #28
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Checking CapGeek every hour to see if Smith is updated (not yet). Maybe they'll have the details tomorrow.

OT: Bolts HFers are still totally in awe of you having perfectly called the Vrby for Hale and Fedoruk trade, rt. ;-) They kinda want you to extend that predictive juju to Stone for Connolly now, haha.

IPreferPi is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:26 PM
  #29
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Checking CapGeek every hour to see if Smith is updated (not yet). Maybe they'll have the details tomorrow.
It's a holiday in Canada and everyone in transit today from draft. Give it a day.

hbk is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
  #30
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 8,251
vCash: 50
What's the timeline for league approva/disapproval? Nobody is reporting it as such, but any chance this deal is contingent upon?

ck26 is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  #31
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
What's the timeline for league approva/disapproval? Nobody is reporting it as such, but any chance this deal is contingent upon?
It's approved. See multiple sources which confirmed it this morning. It's even on our website.

hbk is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
  #32
XX
He's a good guy
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ... for you
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
What's the timeline for league approva/disapproval? Nobody is reporting it as such, but any chance this deal is contingent upon?
No. It wasn't posted on the Coyotes site for the longest time (well after it had broken and local press ran articles with direct quotes). But it's up there now. Terms could be slightly different but we won't know until it hits capgeek. Stupid nondisclosure crap.

I have a hard time believing Maloney got bent over on term, actual dollars, AND a NTC/NMC all in one go. Unless this wasn't really his decision to make, and someone else from on high wanted Smith signed at all costs.

XX is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
  #33
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 8,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
No. It wasn't posted on the Coyotes site for the longest time (well after it had broken and local press ran articles with direct quotes). But it's up there now. Terms could be slightly different but we won't know until it hits capgeek. Stupid nondisclosure crap.

I have a hard time believing Maloney got bent over on term, actual dollars, AND a NTC/NMC all in one go. Unless this wasn't really his decision to make, and someone else from on high wanted Smith signed at all costs.
Does sale mean we no longer non-disclose contracts?

And what's the point of non-disclosing player deals if you have to register them with the league anyway? Odd policy.

ck26 is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
  #34
XX
He's a good guy
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ... for you
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Does sale mean we no longer non-disclose contracts?

And what's the point of non-disclosing player deals if you have to register them with the league anyway? Odd policy.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe capgeek gets their info from the PA who discloses salaries internally. Something like that. I never understood the policy. If you're not proud of the number, your problem. Goes for both the player and the team.

I'm not sure if a sale will change anything but the potential Seattle dudes have **** you money and will be throwing it around on their new toy I'd imagine. Silver lining to moving I suppose.

XX is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
  #35
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 8,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I'm not sure if a sale will change anything but the potential Seattle dudes have **** you money and will be throwing it around on their new toy I'd imagine. Silver lining to moving I suppose.
If it does happen, I'm actually hoping they don't do that at all. I think a big budget is good when it's used to retain home grown talent but typically a disaster in waiting when used on big name free agents.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
  #36
XX
He's a good guy
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ... for you
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
If it does happen, I'm actually hoping they don't do that at all. I think a big budget is good when it's used to retain home grown talent but typically a disaster in waiting when used on big name free agents.
I don't disagree. But this team is a few top 6 players away from icing a complete roster. There might be deals out there like Prospal, who is just a good idea all around. We're not talking elite tier guys like Suter or Parise here, even if the money does fly. At most, someone like Ribeiro could get a nice payday to inject talent into this roster. Not sure how Tippett feels about him though.

XX is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
  #37
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 8,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I don't disagree. But this team is a few top 6 players away from icing a complete roster. There might be deals out there like Prospal, who is just a good idea all around. We're not talking elite tier guys like Suter or Parise here, even if the money does fly. At most, someone like Ribeiro could get a nice payday to inject talent into this roster. Not sure how Tippett feels about him though.
Agreed, I'm specifically talking about top shelf free agents who want long terms and big salaries. I think they're rarely worth it unless it's your own organizational grown talent.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
  #38
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Checking CapGeek every hour to see if Smith is updated (not yet). Maybe they'll have the details tomorrow.

OT: Bolts HFers are still totally in awe of you having perfectly called the Vrby for Hale and Fedoruk trade, rt. ;-) They kinda want you to extend that predictive juju to Stone for Connolly now, haha.
IIRC, that prediction is only a half truth. The details are fuzzy, but I feel like I've denied credit for it in the past, for one reason or another. I'd probably do Stone for Connolly, I suppose. Not confident Connolly would get any minutes under Tippett. Same goes for Rundblad if we use him as a Stone replacement. Still, give Tippett enough of these young offensive types and he'll be forced to give some of them some minutes. Haha.

rt is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
  #39
XX
He's a good guy
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ... for you
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 500
Don't see Stone being moved until one of Gormley or Rundblad becomes a known quantity. Stone is, as of right now, a really cheap top 4 with PP potential. Not something you throw overboard for a forward with questions.

XX is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
  #40
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
I can't see us trading Stone. He looked really good last year and is the right hand shot ready to slide in for two guys coming up on the last year of their deal. Plus he brings some size that none of our other young guys have.

As for the Smith deal, I'd say I hope we don't wind up screwed because of it but if the team is still here, I could live with Maloney losing on this one. At least he's not a nut job like Bryz and has proven he won't fall apart in the playoffs.

RemoAZ is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
  #41
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
FWIW, I don't think Maloney will trade Stone either. Such an obvious successor to Morris if his time as a Yote is up next year. But Stone for Connolly is definitely an intriguing proposal as Connolly has legit top line talent. Whether that would ever be realized under Tippett is of course a legitimate question.

I can definitely see Klesla going to the Bolts at some point. Don't know exactly what Maloney would be able to get in return, though.

IPreferPi is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
  #42
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Don't see Stone being moved until one of Gormley or Rundblad becomes a known quantity. Stone is, as of right now, a really cheap top 4 with PP potential. Not something you throw overboard for a forward with questions.
Agree. Stone and Schlemko are very important to the Coyotes.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 01:46 AM
  #43
SportsRacer21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Here is what I would do:
1) Sign Jagr ($4-5 million).
By signing in Dallas last year Jagr showed he is pretty much a mercenary available to the highest bidder at this point in his career. He would be ultimate addition to Czech line(albeit moving Vrbata to LW) and would be willing to take a one-year deal, whereas most FAs looking for a long-term deal won't want to sign with us given the uncertainty of the franchise. If he produces like last year always the possibility to flip him at the trade deadline like Dallas did if we fall out of contention.
2) Trade Schlemko/Stone for Peverley
Bruins need cap space and trading either one of these young, cheap D for Peverley will help their cap situation. Coyotes get a versatile top 9 F who can play C or W, is great on PK and can play PP. Bruins might be more interested in prospect/pick than roster player though.
3) Sign Montoya as back-up G
I could be talked into Chad Johnson as back-up, but with so many UFA goalies should be able to get someone better such as Montoya.

FORWARDS
Radim Vrbata ($3.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m)
Mikkel Boedker ($2.500m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($2.000m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / David Moss ($2.100m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.625m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.875m) / Chris Brown ($0.900m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / David Rundblad ($0.851m)
Michael Stone ($0.633m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

Not necessarily a great top 6 forward group, but a solid top 9 forward group with a good grinding 4th line. Would prefer to trade Klesla for top 9 forward but I think other GMs know that Maloney is in a bind with too many D and not enough forwards so he can't pull his usual magic. Also, I think Smith signing shows we won't be under league-control (and league-mandated internal cap) so this should be fine since Jagr would be a one-year splurge and all but 10 players on our roster are UFAs after next year.


Last edited by SportsRacer21: 07-02-2013 at 01:57 AM.
SportsRacer21 is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 02:11 AM
  #44
OOEEL
Registered User
 
OOEEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Still, give Tippett enough of these young offensive types and he'll be forced to give some of them some minutes. Haha.
A situation like this?


OOEEL is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 02:59 AM
  #45
XX
He's a good guy
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ... for you
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
A situation like this?
Love that movie. Think this applies too:

Maloney: Could this be about your contract?
Tippett: No. This is about you doing your job and me doing mine. Mine's being left alone to manage this team you assembled for me.
Maloney: I didn't assemble it for you, Dave.
Tippett: No ****.
Maloney: Good meeting. Everytime we talk, I'm reinvigorated by my love of the game.

XX is online now  
Old
07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
  #46
Etch
Relegate the Oilers
 
Etch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 798
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsRacer21 View Post
Here is what I would do:
1) Sign Jagr ($4-5 million).
By signing in Dallas last year Jagr showed he is pretty much a mercenary available to the highest bidder at this point in his career. He would be ultimate addition to Czech line(albeit moving Vrbata to LW) and would be willing to take a one-year deal, whereas most FAs looking for a long-term deal won't want to sign with us given the uncertainty of the franchise. If he produces like last year always the possibility to flip him at the trade deadline like Dallas did if we fall out of contention.
2) Trade Schlemko/Stone for Peverley
Bruins need cap space and trading either one of these young, cheap D for Peverley will help their cap situation. Coyotes get a versatile top 9 F who can play C or W, is great on PK and can play PP. Bruins might be more interested in prospect/pick than roster player though.
3) Sign Montoya as back-up G
I could be talked into Chad Johnson as back-up, but with so many UFA goalies should be able to get someone better such as Montoya.

FORWARDS
Radim Vrbata ($3.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m)
Mikkel Boedker ($2.500m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($2.000m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / David Moss ($2.100m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.625m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.875m) / Chris Brown ($0.900m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / David Rundblad ($0.851m)
Michael Stone ($0.633m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

Not necessarily a great top 6 forward group, but a solid top 9 forward group with a good grinding 4th line. Would prefer to trade Klesla for top 9 forward but I think other GMs know that Maloney is in a bind with too many D and not enough forwards so he can't pull his usual magic. Also, I think Smith signing shows we won't be under league-control (and league-mandated internal cap) so this should be fine since Jagr would be a one-year splurge and all but 10 players on our roster are UFAs after next year.
This roster puts us over 60 MIL in salary. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought our budged was 50 mil. This Smith deal completely ruined our franchise. We simply don't have room for anyone, and unless we want to play Howler up front we're going to have to give up one of our bigger contracts for futures/prospects just to field a full roster.

The minimum roster size is what, 20-22? We literally have about 6.3 million to fit in 6-8 more contracts. That's not a sick joke. Good luck getting guys like Jagr to fit in there.


Last edited by Etch: 07-02-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Etch is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 08:16 AM
  #47
Mosby
Howl On
 
Mosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
I'd love to add Jagr. He was the best player on the ice every time we played Dallas this year.

With Boston, he was a bit of an awkward fit for their style of play. The effort was certainly there. I'd say he was just incredibly snake bitten.

Mosby is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
  #48
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsRacer21 View Post
Here is what I would do:
1) Sign Jagr ($4-5 million).
By signing in Dallas last year Jagr showed he is pretty much a mercenary available to the highest bidder at this point in his career. He would be ultimate addition to Czech line(albeit moving Vrbata to LW) and would be willing to take a one-year deal, whereas most FAs looking for a long-term deal won't want to sign with us given the uncertainty of the franchise. If he produces like last year always the possibility to flip him at the trade deadline like Dallas did if we fall out of contention.
2) Trade Schlemko/Stone for Peverley
Bruins need cap space and trading either one of these young, cheap D for Peverley will help their cap situation. Coyotes get a versatile top 9 F who can play C or W, is great on PK and can play PP. Bruins might be more interested in prospect/pick than roster player though.
3) Sign Montoya as back-up G
I could be talked into Chad Johnson as back-up, but with so many UFA goalies should be able to get someone better such as Montoya.

FORWARDS
Radim Vrbata ($3.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m)
Mikkel Boedker ($2.500m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($2.000m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / David Moss ($2.100m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.625m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.875m) / Chris Brown ($0.900m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / David Rundblad ($0.851m)
Michael Stone ($0.633m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

Not necessarily a great top 6 forward group, but a solid top 9 forward group with a good grinding 4th line. Would prefer to trade Klesla for top 9 forward but I think other GMs know that Maloney is in a bind with too many D and not enough forwards so he can't pull his usual magic. Also, I think Smith signing shows we won't be under league-control (and league-mandated internal cap) so this should be fine since Jagr would be a one-year splurge and all but 10 players on our roster are UFAs after next year.
YouRe ten million dollars over budget, buddy.

rt is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 10:15 AM
  #49
Kaibur
Registered User
 
Kaibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
What's going on with Andy Miele? Seems like this is a now-or-never kind of season for him with this squad. Does he have any real chance to make the team, considering his probable salary? Or does he hold any potential trade value? Maybe as the + to go along with a defenseman?

Kaibur is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
  #50
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
I'd love to add Jagr. He was the best player on the ice every time we played Dallas this year.

With Boston, he was a bit of an awkward fit for their style of play. The effort was certainly there. I'd say he was just incredibly snake bitten.
Actually, I thought he looked great in Boston's system. Weird to see him playing in all 3 zones, but like Whitney when he was here, Jagr assimilated himself into Julien's system and actually made some really good defensive plays. But yeah, he was snakebitten during the playoffs.

IPreferPi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.