HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Season Roster Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
And it's a done deal.
Huge gamble by Maloney, I really hope Smith doesn't let him down.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Any word on how this monstrosity is structured yet?

07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Checking CapGeek every hour to see if Smith is updated (not yet). Maybe they'll have the details tomorrow.

OT: Bolts HFers are still totally in awe of you having perfectly called the Vrby for Hale and Fedoruk trade, rt. ;-) They kinda want you to extend that predictive juju to Stone for Connolly now, haha.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:26 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Checking CapGeek every hour to see if Smith is updated (not yet). Maybe they'll have the details tomorrow.
It's a holiday in Canada and everyone in transit today from draft. Give it a day.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
What's the timeline for league approva/disapproval? Nobody is reporting it as such, but any chance this deal is contingent upon?

Old
07-01-2013, 08:29 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
What's the timeline for league approva/disapproval? Nobody is reporting it as such, but any chance this deal is contingent upon?
It's approved. See multiple sources which confirmed it this morning. It's even on our website.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
No. It wasn't posted on the Coyotes site for the longest time (well after it had broken and local press ran articles with direct quotes). But it's up there now. Terms could be slightly different but we won't know until it hits capgeek. Stupid nondisclosure crap.

I have a hard time believing Maloney got bent over on term, actual dollars, AND a NTC/NMC all in one go. Unless this wasn't really his decision to make, and someone else from on high wanted Smith signed at all costs.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
No. It wasn't posted on the Coyotes site for the longest time (well after it had broken and local press ran articles with direct quotes). But it's up there now. Terms could be slightly different but we won't know until it hits capgeek. Stupid nondisclosure crap.

I have a hard time believing Maloney got bent over on term, actual dollars, AND a NTC/NMC all in one go. Unless this wasn't really his decision to make, and someone else from on high wanted Smith signed at all costs.
Does sale mean we no longer non-disclose contracts?

And what's the point of non-disclosing player deals if you have to register them with the league anyway? Odd policy.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Does sale mean we no longer non-disclose contracts?

And what's the point of non-disclosing player deals if you have to register them with the league anyway? Odd policy.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe capgeek gets their info from the PA who discloses salaries internally. Something like that. I never understood the policy. If you're not proud of the number, your problem. Goes for both the player and the team.

I'm not sure if a sale will change anything but the potential Seattle dudes have **** you money and will be throwing it around on their new toy I'd imagine. Silver lining to moving I suppose.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I'm not sure if a sale will change anything but the potential Seattle dudes have **** you money and will be throwing it around on their new toy I'd imagine. Silver lining to moving I suppose.
If it does happen, I'm actually hoping they don't do that at all. I think a big budget is good when it's used to retain home grown talent but typically a disaster in waiting when used on big name free agents.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
If it does happen, I'm actually hoping they don't do that at all. I think a big budget is good when it's used to retain home grown talent but typically a disaster in waiting when used on big name free agents.
I don't disagree. But this team is a few top 6 players away from icing a complete roster. There might be deals out there like Prospal, who is just a good idea all around. We're not talking elite tier guys like Suter or Parise here, even if the money does fly. At most, someone like Ribeiro could get a nice payday to inject talent into this roster. Not sure how Tippett feels about him though.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I don't disagree. But this team is a few top 6 players away from icing a complete roster. There might be deals out there like Prospal, who is just a good idea all around. We're not talking elite tier guys like Suter or Parise here, even if the money does fly. At most, someone like Ribeiro could get a nice payday to inject talent into this roster. Not sure how Tippett feels about him though.
Agreed, I'm specifically talking about top shelf free agents who want long terms and big salaries. I think they're rarely worth it unless it's your own organizational grown talent.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

OT: Bolts HFers are still totally in awe of you having perfectly called the Vrby for Hale and Fedoruk trade, rt. ;-) They kinda want you to extend that predictive juju to Stone for Connolly now, haha.
IIRC, that prediction is only a half truth. The details are fuzzy, but I feel like I've denied credit for it in the past, for one reason or another. I'd probably do Stone for Connolly, I suppose. Not confident Connolly would get any minutes under Tippett. Same goes for Rundblad if we use him as a Stone replacement. Still, give Tippett enough of these young offensive types and he'll be forced to give some of them some minutes. Haha.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Don't see Stone being moved until one of Gormley or Rundblad becomes a known quantity. Stone is, as of right now, a really cheap top 4 with PP potential. Not something you throw overboard for a forward with questions.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I can't see us trading Stone. He looked really good last year and is the right hand shot ready to slide in for two guys coming up on the last year of their deal. Plus he brings some size that none of our other young guys have.

As for the Smith deal, I'd say I hope we don't wind up screwed because of it but if the team is still here, I could live with Maloney losing on this one. At least he's not a nut job like Bryz and has proven he won't fall apart in the playoffs.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

FWIW, I don't think Maloney will trade Stone either. Such an obvious successor to Morris if his time as a Yote is up next year. But Stone for Connolly is definitely an intriguing proposal as Connolly has legit top line talent. Whether that would ever be realized under Tippett is of course a legitimate question.

I can definitely see Klesla going to the Bolts at some point. Don't know exactly what Maloney would be able to get in return, though.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Don't see Stone being moved until one of Gormley or Rundblad becomes a known quantity. Stone is, as of right now, a really cheap top 4 with PP potential. Not something you throw overboard for a forward with questions.
Agree. Stone and Schlemko are very important to the Coyotes.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:46 AM
SportsRacer21

Here is what I would do:
1) Sign Jagr ($4-5 million).
By signing in Dallas last year Jagr showed he is pretty much a mercenary available to the highest bidder at this point in his career. He would be ultimate addition to Czech line(albeit moving Vrbata to LW) and would be willing to take a one-year deal, whereas most FAs looking for a long-term deal won't want to sign with us given the uncertainty of the franchise. If he produces like last year always the possibility to flip him at the trade deadline like Dallas did if we fall out of contention.
2) Trade Schlemko/Stone for Peverley
Bruins need cap space and trading either one of these young, cheap D for Peverley will help their cap situation. Coyotes get a versatile top 9 F who can play C or W, is great on PK and can play PP. Bruins might be more interested in prospect/pick than roster player though.
3) Sign Montoya as back-up G
I could be talked into Chad Johnson as back-up, but with so many UFA goalies should be able to get someone better such as Montoya.

FORWARDS
Radim Vrbata ($3.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m)
Mikkel Boedker ($2.500m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($2.000m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / David Moss ($2.100m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.625m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.875m) / Chris Brown ($0.900m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / David Rundblad ($0.851m)
Michael Stone ($0.633m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

Not necessarily a great top 6 forward group, but a solid top 9 forward group with a good grinding 4th line. Would prefer to trade Klesla for top 9 forward but I think other GMs know that Maloney is in a bind with too many D and not enough forwards so he can't pull his usual magic. Also, I think Smith signing shows we won't be under league-control (and league-mandated internal cap) so this should be fine since Jagr would be a one-year splurge and all but 10 players on our roster are UFAs after next year.

Last edited by SportsRacer21: 07-02-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old
07-02-2013, 02:11 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Still, give Tippett enough of these young offensive types and he'll be forced to give some of them some minutes. Haha.
A situation like this?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:59 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
A situation like this?
Love that movie. Think this applies too:

Maloney: Could this be about your contract?
Tippett: No. This is about you doing your job and me doing mine. Mine's being left alone to manage this team you assembled for me.
Maloney: I didn't assemble it for you, Dave.
Tippett: No ****.
Maloney: Good meeting. Everytime we talk, I'm reinvigorated by my love of the game.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Etch
Relegate the Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsRacer21 View Post
Here is what I would do:
By signing in Dallas last year Jagr showed he is pretty much a mercenary available to the highest bidder at this point in his career. He would be ultimate addition to Czech line(albeit moving Vrbata to LW) and would be willing to take a one-year deal, whereas most FAs looking for a long-term deal won't want to sign with us given the uncertainty of the franchise. If he produces like last year always the possibility to flip him at the trade deadline like Dallas did if we fall out of contention.
Bruins need cap space and trading either one of these young, cheap D for Peverley will help their cap situation. Coyotes get a versatile top 9 F who can play C or W, is great on PK and can play PP. Bruins might be more interested in prospect/pick than roster player though.
I could be talked into Chad Johnson as back-up, but with so many UFA goalies should be able to get someone better such as Montoya.

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

Not necessarily a great top 6 forward group, but a solid top 9 forward group with a good grinding 4th line. Would prefer to trade Klesla for top 9 forward but I think other GMs know that Maloney is in a bind with too many D and not enough forwards so he can't pull his usual magic. Also, I think Smith signing shows we won't be under league-control (and league-mandated internal cap) so this should be fine since Jagr would be a one-year splurge and all but 10 players on our roster are UFAs after next year.
This roster puts us over 60 MIL in salary. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought our budged was 50 mil. This Smith deal completely ruined our franchise. We simply don't have room for anyone, and unless we want to play Howler up front we're going to have to give up one of our bigger contracts for futures/prospects just to field a full roster.

The minimum roster size is what, 20-22? We literally have about 6.3 million to fit in 6-8 more contracts. That's not a sick joke. Good luck getting guys like Jagr to fit in there.

Last edited by Etch: 07-02-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old
07-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Mosby
Howl On

I'd love to add Jagr. He was the best player on the ice every time we played Dallas this year.

With Boston, he was a bit of an awkward fit for their style of play. The effort was certainly there. I'd say he was just incredibly snake bitten.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsRacer21 View Post
Here is what I would do:

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

YouRe ten million dollars over budget, buddy.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Kaibur

What's going on with Andy Miele? Seems like this is a now-or-never kind of season for him with this squad. Does he have any real chance to make the team, considering his probable salary? Or does he hold any potential trade value? Maybe as the + to go along with a defenseman?

Old
07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
I'd love to add Jagr. He was the best player on the ice every time we played Dallas this year.

With Boston, he was a bit of an awkward fit for their style of play. The effort was certainly there. I'd say he was just incredibly snake bitten.
Actually, I thought he looked great in Boston's system. Weird to see him playing in all 3 zones, but like Whitney when he was here, Jagr assimilated himself into Julien's system and actually made some really good defensive plays. But yeah, he was snakebitten during the playoffs.

Closed Thread