HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miles Wood

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2014, 12:05 PM
  #76
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 37,594
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Hoeffel pick not looking good.
I don't think anyone was particularly enthused about it at the time, either.

Edit: I'm wrong about that. Hoeffel was predicted to be a late first rounder in a lot of circles at the time, and fell. I have no memory of that draft...


Last edited by Classic Devil: 04-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  #77
Unknown Caller
Registered User
 
Unknown Caller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
No, not when Conte and his good ole boy network are calling the shots.
Especially his Euro "scouts".
Right because Gelinas (2nd round), Merrill (2nd round), Henrique (3rd round), Fayne (5th round), etc. were terrible picks.

Unknown Caller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:20 PM
  #78
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 37,594
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Right because Gelinas (2nd round), Merrill (2nd round), Henrique (3rd round), Fayne (5th round), etc. were terrible picks.
Our first round draft choices have been pretty poor lately.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:25 PM
  #79
Unknown Caller
Registered User
 
Unknown Caller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Our first round draft choices have been pretty poor lately.
Who, Tedenby and Josefson? Why is the analysis limited to the first round? Josefson was a no brainer when he was picked, and if you look at the players taken after him none have been much better. Maybe Marcus Johansson or Kyle Palmieri. That's about it.

Unknown Caller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
  #80
AfroThunder396
Certified G
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,768
vCash: 1670
Tedenby and Corrente are really the only 1st round busts we've had recently, and Corrente is a stretch considering that was 8 years ago (Jesus time flies by).

Josefson was a good pick, no one could have predicted the injuries and mismanagement that would stagnate him. Larsson was the unanimous right pick. Matteau seems to be developing nicely. We didn't have picks in '07 or '10.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
  #81
R8NJ
Brendan Shanahan!
 
R8NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 15,480
vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Who, Tedenby and Josefson? Why is the analysis limited to the first round? Josefson was a no brainer when he was picked, and if you look at the players taken after him none have been much better. Maybe Marcus Johansson or Kyle Palmieri. That's about it.
I agree, people need to look at the rankings at the time when the players were drafted. None of the guys other than Corrente were reach picks. There is only so much a scouting team can do when it comes to late picks in the first round.

R8NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:49 PM
  #82
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by elindholm View Post
Thompson pick was imo a very good pick. Kid gets pk time and plays 2nd 3rd line minutes. He's anything but a goon. Yes, he's big, bangs etc. drops the mitts if needed, but has some skill. I'm not calling him Lucic yet, but maybe it'll translate to the pro game.
I understand he's been moved above the energy role he was playing in Kitchener, and he's certainly had success there. But it's simply a fact that 2nd/3rd liners in juniors don't usually make the NHL barring some miraculous jump in development.

I'm not saying Ben Thompson CAN'T have/do that, but I just wouldn't bet on it. Tom Sestito scored 40 goals in his overage year for Plymouth and he was 19-20. Ben Thompson's 21 and just now approaching a ppg pace for the first time ever. I just can't help but be skeptical about guys who don't impress offensively until they're 21 and as big as Thompson and playing against kids. His size/strength advantage won't be as absolute in the pros. I'd still love for him to prove me wrong, I just don't expect it to happen.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 07:24 PM
  #83
Devils Dominion
WedgeGOOD
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 35,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I understand he's been moved above the energy role he was playing in Kitchener, and he's certainly had success there. But it's simply a fact that 2nd/3rd liners in juniors don't usually make the NHL barring some miraculous jump in development.

I'm not saying Ben Thompson CAN'T have/do that, but I just wouldn't bet on it. Tom Sestito scored 40 goals in his overage year for Plymouth and he was 19-20. Ben Thompson's 21 and just now approaching a ppg pace for the first time ever. I just can't help but be skeptical about guys who don't impress offensively until they're 21 and as big as Thompson and playing against kids. His size/strength advantage won't be as absolute in the pros. I'd still love for him to prove me wrong, I just don't expect it to happen.
Thomson, no p.

If he brings toughness and some skill with 8 to 10 goals to the 4th line eventually it will be a good pick.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 09:38 PM
  #84
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,416
vCash: 500
I've begun to question the development more than the actually drafting. Although the drafting was shaky for awhile a couple years back, which is why we are bare in forwards right now.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:31 AM
  #85
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Thomson, no p.

If he brings toughness and some skill with 8 to 10 goals to the 4th line eventually it will be a good pick.
I'll agree with that for sure. And thanks for the heads up, googling "Ben Thompson hockey" takes you to the same place so I never figured it out.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:36 AM
  #86
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I've begun to question the development more than the actually drafting. Although the drafting was shaky for awhile a couple years back, which is why we are bare in forwards right now.
Development is definitely questionable when we see what's happened to guys who didn't pick it up right away (for the most part) like Henrique did. I wonder if Lou's aware and that's why he's focused so much on North American players? Guys like Wood probably acclimate to the pro game much more quickly. I feel like the team's biggest failure has been preparing our European prospects for the North American game.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:34 AM
  #87
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Development is definitely questionable when we see what's happened to guys who didn't pick it up right away (for the most part) like Henrique did. I wonder if Lou's aware and that's why he's focused so much on North American players? Guys like Wood probably acclimate to the pro game much more quickly. I feel like the team's biggest failure has been preparing our European prospects for the North American game.
It looks like we had a some trouble with the development for a good 4 years between the two clubs.
Youare seeing this with Detroit a little now too. When you are good for so long, it eventually starts to catch up to you. and i think the farm is starting to be developed better again. with the exceptioion of Ted/JJ the farm is getting back on track with the development.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:41 AM
  #88
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,416
vCash: 500
I think Detroit's been fine with their young guys. Tough to adjust without lidstrom and their vets are aging. Their pipeline looks stronger than ours.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:02 AM
  #89
Aethon
12 Axes
 
Aethon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 36,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I think Detroit's been fine with their young guys. Tough to adjust without lidstrom and their vets are aging. Their pipeline looks stronger than ours.
The thing is what are you calling "young guys"?

None of their "young guys" are all that young...Someone like Tater who is 23 and has multiple years in the AHL and in European Pro leagues is an old vet compared to someone like Larsson.

Most of the Detroit "young" players have gone through at least a 3 year cycle of development in the AHL or NCAA.

If we had Tater and he spent 3 years in the AHL here people on this very board would be calling for Lou and DeBoer to fired because "he isn't getting a chance".

This board speaks out of both sides of its mouth when it comes to young players. They'll marvel over how Detroit can produced a Nyquist or Tater but totally ignore it took these guys 4 and 5 years in minor leagues to become contributors...All while proclaiming the Devils are stunting young players growth by not throwing them into the league in a larger role with barely any Pro experience. It is kind of dumb...But I guess it gives us something to talk about?

Aethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
  #90
Unknown Caller
Registered User
 
Unknown Caller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
The thing is what are you calling "young guys"?

None of their "young guys" are all that young...Someone like Tater who is 23 and has multiple years in the AHL and in European Pro leagues is an old vet compared to someone like Larsson.

Most of the Detroit "young" players have gone through at least a 3 year cycle of development in the AHL or NCAA.

If we had Tater and he spent 3 years in the AHL here people on this very board would be calling for Lou and DeBoer to fired because "he isn't getting a chance".

This board speaks out of both sides of its mouth when it comes to young players. They'll marvel over how Detroit can produced a Nyquist or Tater but totally ignore it took these guys 4 and 5 years in minor leagues to become contributors...All while proclaiming the Devils are stunting young players growth by not throwing them into the league in a larger role with barely any Pro experience. It is kind of dumb...But I guess it gives us something to talk about?
Exactly, I've said this for a while. The prospect arguments are circular. When everyone was clamoring for Larsson to be called up in March, I said that he should continue to develop in Albany. I was told "he has nothing left to learn there, he's too old." Apparently the only option is playing a 21 year-old kid 20+ minutes at the NHL level. I brought up Detroit as an example why Larsson and other young players should play big minutes in Albany. I was given some ******** excuse that Larsson is a 4th overall pick so he should be treated differently than Tatar and Nyquist.

Unknown Caller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
  #91
devilsblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,145
vCash: 500
I was OK with Larsson in Albany. It's Larsson or Gelinas with the DNP's in the NHL while Harrold/Volch/Sal are in the lineup that is the issue. Especially when we were officially eliminated from the playoffs.

And JJ of coarse.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
  #92
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
With Wood breaking out and Kujawinski starting to produce, am I the only one dreaming about a 3rd line in a few years of

Wood-Kujawinski-RW bully ?

Maybe our forward prospect depth isn't as bad as we think...

MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
  #93
Devils Dominion
WedgeGOOD
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 35,697
vCash: 500
Aside from Boucher,

Black, Pietila and Coleman intrigue me but none are viewed as scoring forwards.

Bell could be the sleeper forward out of recent drafts.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:09 AM
  #94
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Aside from Boucher,

Black, Pietila and Coleman intrigue me but none are viewed as scoring forwards.

Bell could be the sleeper forward out of recent drafts.
I think Bell could have a nice career as a bottom6 scorer.

MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
  #95
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
With Wood breaking out and Kujawinski starting to produce, am I the only one dreaming about a 3rd line in a few years of

Wood-Kujawinski-RW bully ?

Maybe our forward prospect depth isn't as bad as we think...
I think Wood will be projected as a top six forward.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
  #96
HobokenIrish
Registered User
 
HobokenIrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I think Wood will be projected as a top six forward.
Anyone know when he has to decide about going back to Prep or accelerating into Boston College for the fall?

HobokenIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:14 AM
  #97
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
With Wood breaking out and Kujawinski starting to produce, am I the only one dreaming about a 3rd line in a few years of

Wood-Kujawinski-RW bully ?

Maybe our forward prospect depth isn't as bad as we think...
nothing is ever as good or as bad as people here claim...except when it comes to defenseman who 'stink'

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
  #98
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenIrish View Post
Anyone know when he has to decide about going back to Prep or accelerating into Boston College for the fall?
I'm pretty sure he's headed to BC, there is no good reason for him to head back to Prep school.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:36 AM
  #99
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I think Wood will be projected as a top six forward.
Eventually he'll get there but I think he'll start off on the 3rd IF Lou addressed the Top6 deficiencies this offseason. Wood will have time to break in lower in the lineup before a veteran moves out and he's ready to step in. If Lou can trade for 1 top6 wing and sign another FA, the top 2 LW slots will be locked up for 4-5 years.

MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:54 AM
  #100
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Eventually he'll get there but I think he'll start off on the 3rd IF Lou addressed the Top6 deficiencies this offseason. Wood will have time to break in lower in the lineup before a veteran moves out and he's ready to step in. If Lou can trade for 1 top6 wing and sign another FA, the top 2 LW slots will be locked up for 4-5 years.
This offseason? I don't think Wood will be ready for 2-3 years after this season, I expect him to play at least two seasons at BC before he signs a pro contract and then he will most likely spend time in Albany.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.