HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Div. I hockey at UB...

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2005, 09:34 PM
SkateLikeTheWind

vCash: 500
Div. I hockey at UB...

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...06/1001227.asp

What do you guys think about this?

We all know how terrible the football team is, so why not take their money and invest in a hockey team.

There are 25,000 students at the school. I'm sure between that number and the surrounding community they would draw extremely well if a nice facility were built. There is so much local talent around here that go away to "bigger" D-I programs than Niagara and Canisius. With this talent and the talent pool right across the boarder, I don't see why UB couldn't become a somewhat of a powerhouse if the right kind of money is invested.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Buffalo Stylee

UB would definitely be able to hold it's own. There are PLENTY of highly talented kids around here.

Old
06-08-2005, 05:36 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Why not? Because the school is too cheap to spend the money that why!

Someone recently examined the pay scale for coaches and UB was right at the bottom. They were the worst in the MAC.

Until the school makes a commitment to big time athletics, they'll continue to be a joke. At some of the women spoorts are respectable.

Old
06-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I don't think it's going to happen even with the Amherst Pepsi Center being right acrossed the university. Recently in the news there was something reported about the University cutting back spending at the division I sports that weren't very popular and diverting those funds to the most popular ones i.e. basketball, football because they were so underfunded.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:46 AM
ajsonor

I think it's an interesting idea, but it won't happen over night. It took RIT forever to convert into a D1 team and that's after being a D3 powerhouse for 20 years. Niagara and Canisius took a while to become competitive after making that same jump. Niagara, Canisius & RIT used to play each other years ago at D2 & D3 levels. They were established and had reputations.

UB may not have any more than a club team right now. If Niagara can't get some of the local kids to stay with a beautiful campus and its NCAA history, a startup at UB is going to take 5-7 years to convince players to not attend a powerhouse like Michigan state in order to star at home. It might be hard to convince a kid to skip competing for a national title and playing the 3rd line to play first line on a team that will be a doormat for some time.

Old
06-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Schlep Rock

If UB does go D-1, as long as they target the appropriate recruits, they'll be fine.

They would likely play in Atlantic Hockey or College Hockey America and they can't be going after the Phil Kessel's of the world. If they properly focus their recruiting efforts, they can compete within their own conference and hope for an automatic bid to the NCAA Frozen Four through that avenue.

Teams like UB can't expect to have a chance recruiting against Michigan State, they should be recruiting against Holy Cross, Alabama-Huntsville, Robert Morris, etc.

Old
06-08-2005, 09:24 AM
SkateLikeTheWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I don't think it's going to happen even with the Amherst Pepsi Center being right acrossed the university. Recently in the news there was something reported about the University cutting back spending at the division I sports that weren't very popular and diverting those funds to the most popular ones i.e. basketball, football because they were so underfunded.
They wouldn't use the Pepsi Center anyways. There isn't enough seating in the main rink to house a DI program. And they just had a professional guy do a report on the athletic program and he suggested that we cut back on the less popular sports and focus on the one's that would have a bigger impact like hockey and lacrosse.

I still don't even get why we bother with football. We are the laughing stock of the country. I would love to see us play some good high school programs, it would be a good game. Just cut the funding and stop the bleeding and ice a hockey team.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
They wouldn't use the Pepsi Center anyways. There isn't enough seating in the main rink to house a DI program. And they just had a professional guy do a report on the athletic program and he suggested that we cut back on the less popular sports and focus on the one's that would have a bigger impact like hockey and lacrosse.
I was just bringing up the Pepsi Center because that's where our crappy club team practices. UB has such a huge population I'm suprised we don't have a better collection of sports talent, it's really sad.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:37 PM
SkateLikeTheWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I was just bringing up the Pepsi Center because that's where our crappy club team practices. UB has such a huge population I'm suprised we don't have a better collection of sports talent, it's really sad.
Crappy club team? Wow you're ignorant. I happen to play on the crappy club team and we just finished our best season ever, with our first ever trip to nationals and a 26-9 record.

There's more talent at the school than you think. But when athletics is about number 3 or 4 on the money totem pole, its tough to become successful against schools that spend tons of money on athletics.

Last edited by SkateLikeTheWind: 06-08-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old
06-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

I am sorry about that but I don't follow the program that intensly. The group overall is far from being divsion one caliber though and it will take some time to get it there like another poster said. Personally, I don't think the university will give any sports club the attention it deserves because of how much they invest in academics and research that they do in house.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
SkateLikeTheWind

Yeah of course if they started a DI team next year no one on the club team would be playing for it.

(begin rant)
And your right, the university is pretty much sports stupid. It took this Corrigan guy to come in and tell us our football team will suck until we put more money into it. DUH! It's just frustrating that we have varsity sports that no one in the area cares about or follows. Whens the last time you went to a UB volleyball or tennis match? Drop all these sports no one follows, and the football team because they are a lost cause. Put all the sports money into the sports that would stand a chance, like basketball, hockey, and lacrosse. It's not necessary to field a team in every sport known to man.
(end rant)

Old
06-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88
Why not? Because the school is too cheap to spend the money that why!

Someone recently examined the pay scale for coaches and UB was right at the bottom. They were the worst in the MAC.

Until the school makes a commitment to big time athletics, they'll continue to be a joke. At some of the women spoorts are respectable.
UB is a public school and are only allowed to invest what is allowed by law.

I used to know the Director of Bflo State Athletics, and she would tell me that she would have to compete with the private schools for talent with absolutly nothing to offer. "We're not as good of a team and can't offer you anything, but you should come here..."

Closed Thread