HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Draft Thread Part One

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
SwordStanley10

vCash: 500
Taking a defenceman so highly in the draft gives me pause... top picks such as Johnson, Hedman and Barker have either busted or panned out as only average players when this team requires game breakers and exceptional talent. Otherwise, this whole rebuild and suffering is for naught. I understand players like Doughty are the exception and from what I've seen Ekbald certainly seems like the real deal, but it seems theres a higher chance of picking correctly when it comes to top end forwards in comparison to defenceman. I'd prefer the team to draft high at forward and then use our future stock of picks and prospects to make the moves needed to supplement our already-promising future on defence with talent.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:02 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Some of the quotes coaches and scouts have about Ekblad can make you drool. Some have said he uses similar energy to what Lidstrom had to use to play the game. He has the potential to be a 30 minute ice time eater with some offensive potential. I doubt he constantly puts up top 10 points as a D man but his game has done nothi8ng but grow this year when some people were worried it was stagnant at times last year.

Reinhart is a guy I'd like because to me he is the perfect 2nd line compliment to McDavid. But that's obviously getting ahead of myself.
This is news to me. Last I heard he was struggling along with Colts and being close to passed by McKeown.

I should add that it doesn't sound very enticing to pick a player 1st overall in hopes that he will play on your 2nd line (I know McDavid, but that 25% chance aside I hope he would be on our top line).

Last edited by ottsabrefan: 11-01-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
This is news to me. Last I heard he was struggling along with Colts and being close to passed by McKeown.
Has more to do with McKeown wouldn't you say? I haven't read anything but growth in regards to Ekblad. If anybodies game is stagnating it could be Reinharts.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:41 PM
sjci

vCash: 313
At this point, I think I'd be fine with one of Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or Draisatil at the top of the draft. Who knows if there will be some separation as the year goes on, but that's the group of guys I'd be happy with at the top

Old
11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Has more to do with McKeown wouldn't you say? I haven't read anything but growth in regards to Ekblad. If anybodies game is stagnating it could be Reinharts.
I haven't seen or heard a whole lot of positives out of Barrie this year. Ekblad has had a rough go of it so far, but it is still early.

Personally, I would prefer McKeown. Completely different players. McKeown IMO is smarter, faster and better offensively. Ekblad is built like a house and looks like he is 25 in the OHL. Defensively they are close. McKeown is better positionally, but Ekblad is more physical. I find Ekblad gets too much hype because he was 200 lbs. at 15.

McKeown to me is VERY similar to Pysyk, except he is better offensively.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel 30 Oct
NACScouting Top 80 released! Top 20: 1. @EK5Colts 2. Reinhart 3. Nylander 4. Draisaitl 5. Dal Colle 6. @jaredmccann19 7. @Bubzp11 con't....

8.Bennet 9.Virtanen 10.Vrana 11.Barbashev 12.Ritchie 13.McKeown 14. @iverke 15.Fleury 16.Clarke 17.Mistele 18.Kempe 19.Karlsson 20.Zinoviev

Old
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
If Myers was traded for Eberle or somebody in that nature, I could stomach taking Ekblad but we NEED elite Offensive talents

I agree if Buffalo is effectivly forced to take the BPA and that is Ekblad then they need to be looking to make a trade for a young winger who would be a#1 winger.

If it isnt clear cut then I would insist on taking a forward (winger preferred)

If buffalo is able to make pick deals and have a 2nd 1st in the 5-12 range then they could still address the winger they need so it would lessen some of the concern.

In some of the rankings I have seen are highly chaotic when it comes to the players in europe. Some have a bunch in top 10 then others have them outside the top 10

Old
11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
BPA. Position is a deciding factor when players are rated equally, but forcing an outcome based on organizational need rarely works.

11-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I agree if Buffalo is effectivly forced to take the BPA and that is Ekblad then they need to be looking to make a trade for a young winger who would be a#1 winger.

If it isnt clear cut then I would insist on taking a forward (winger preferred)

If buffalo is able to make pick deals and have a 2nd 1st in the 5-12 range then they could still address the winger they need so it would lessen some of the concern.

In some of the rankings I have seen are highly chaotic when it comes to the players in europe. Some have a bunch in top 10 then others have them outside the top 10
Center is a much bigger need then wing

Old
11-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Center is a much bigger need then wing
With vanek now gone we need both. But yeah, drafting a center works best (if all else is equal) since its easier for a center to move to wing than vise versa.

Old
11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
BPA. Position is a deciding factor when players are rated equally, but forcing an outcome based on organizational need rarely works.
But Chain, wouldn't you still take Reinhart over Ekblad given the current state of the roster and pipeline? Even if Ek was say, rated a tad higher than Reinhart? I think you'd have to...

Old
11-02-2013, 12:03 PM
jc17

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
But Chain, wouldn't you still take Reinhart over Ekblad given the current state of the roster and pipeline? Even if Ek was say, rated a tad higher than Reinhart? I think you'd have to...
Yeah, as of now it seems like forwards are what we need the most, however you never know what guys will pan out and who won't.

I think it wouldn't be smart to take a defenseman even if he is rated a bit higher because the ratings aren't always right, and as someone mentioned before, defensemen are more hit or miss at the top of the draft. How stupid would it be if we took a defenseman, a position that we seem to be alright with, that didn't even pan out and passed on a scoring forward.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:11 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
NACScouting Top 80 released! Top 20: 1. @EK5Colts 2. Reinhart 3. Nylander 4. Draisaitl 5. Dal Colle 6. @jaredmccann19 7. @Bubzp11 con't....

8.Bennet 9.Virtanen 10.Vrana 11.Barbashev 12.Ritchie 13.McKeown 14. @iverke 15.Fleury 16.Clarke 17.Mistele 18.Kempe 19.Karlsson 20.Zinoviev
Perfect. The odds all favor us picking at #2. I want Ekblad to be highly rated going into this thing and leave the best forward in the draft to us.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
Yeah, as of now it seems like forwards are what we need the most, however you never know what guys will pan out and who won't.

I think it wouldn't be smart to take a defenseman even if he is rated a bit higher because the ratings aren't always right, and as someone mentioned before, defensemen are more hit or miss at the top of the draft. How stupid would it be if we took a defenseman, a position that we seem to be alright with, that didn't even pan out and passed on a scoring forward.
Everybody will be more certain by draft day, but fwiw, Ekblad appears to be a "sure thing". Obviously there's still risk, but I think most scouts think there's little doubt about him being a top-pair D-man for a long time.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
I really like a number of guys at the top of the draft, Ekblad included. If he rates out higher, take him.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:17 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I think, in the scheme of the rebuild, you need at least one surefire top line forward in this draft.

That said, if we pile up enough pieces in the draft, we might still be able to take Ekblad and trade back up into the top 5 to get one.

Old
11-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Perfect. The odds all favor us picking at #2. I want Ekblad to be highly rated going into this thing and leave the best forward in the draft to us.
I want the best player period. Tanking a guy based on team needs is no way to run a franchise when picking that high, especially when 2015 is all but guaranteed to lend up another top pick in a draft filled with elite forwards.

Old
11-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I really like a number of guys at the top of the draft, Ekblad included. If he rates out higher, take him.
What if the same scenario plays out next year? Say we draft 3rd and it just so happens there's two players ranked around 3, with the edge to the defenseman. Stay the course with BPA always?

Old
11-02-2013, 03:14 PM
OcAirlines

I would really prefer a Forward, but if the BPA determined by our scouts is a Defensemen, and not just by a hair but by quite a margin, then that is who we should pick. I hope that somehow Draisaitl drops to the NYI-pick, even though that looks unlikely at the moment.

Old
11-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Keep an eye on Travis Dermott too.
He's a late 96 that played on the YSE teams with Bennett and McDavid and I think he has a shot at being drafted next year.
I tried to keep an eye on him when I could although I was pretty busy watching McDavid everytime he was on the ice along with Strome, Burakovsky who showed high end skill level at times. Dermott looked like a player who is a good skater and has a solid skill set but looked alittle undersized.

McDavid probably played his worst game of the season, he just wasn't engaged in anything on the ice besides the odd nice play or rush. I don't recall a single play where he competed for a puck or even went in a corner to get a puck, seemed like he wanted other guys to do the dirty work (specifically Brown who was a force all over the ice and looked like a player ready for pro). He was also terrible on face-offs but that's not a big deal for a 16 year old. In the same token I watched John Tavares and Steven Stamkos come to Niagara and put up points just like McDavid and be pretty unnoticeable as well, it's probably because the lack of neutral zone in that rink.

Although he didn't play very good it's very easy to see why he is the top prospect in a long, long time and going to be a franchise defining player like a Crosby. His skating is elite, his hockey IQ is elite, his passing is elite, he has good size and is a good shooter.

I also went to Barrie @ Niagara the night before and Aaron Ekblad is everything I expected he would be, such a well rounded player so seems to play 30+ minutes of mistake free hockey. It's pretty amazing how easily he wins puck battles. Having seen Pietrangelo, Bogosian, and Doughty all play live in their draft year he is right on par with them in terms of impact on the game.

Last edited by 1972: 11-03-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old
11-05-2013, 12:20 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

What about a goalie in the 2nd - if they are still around? Demko and Nedeljkovic are two highly rated guys to watch.

Old
11-05-2013, 12:29 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
What about a goalie in the 2nd - if they are still around? Demko and Nedeljkovic are two highly rated guys to watch.
Not a fan of spending early picks on goalies, I wouldn't be totally against it if someone who the team thinks has a lot of potential slips, but I think we have done well with drafting the obligatory goalie in the later rounds (Miller, maybe Ullmark could be one as well pretty soon or Hasek as a guy this franchise didn't draft but who was a very late pick) and relying on guys coming into the organisation on other ways (Hackett, Makarov, who both show quite some promise). I'd rather we keep stocking up on Skaters with our early picks and maybe add another Goalie after round four or five. I think this could be the first year in a while where we don't draft a goalie though, considering how many of them we already have in our pipeline at the moment (Enroth, Hackett, Lieuwen, Makarov, Knapp, Ullmark, that's a lot of young guys who we all have to find playing time for eventually).

Old
11-05-2013, 12:57 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
Not a fan of spending early picks on goalies, I wouldn't be totally against it if someone who the team thinks has a lot of potential slips, but I think we have done well with drafting the obligatory goalie in the later rounds (Miller, maybe Ullmark could be one as well pretty soon or Hasek as a guy this franchise didn't draft but who was a very late pick) and relying on guys coming into the organisation on other ways (Hackett, Makarov, who both show quite some promise). I'd rather we keep stocking up on Skaters with our early picks and maybe add another Goalie after round four or five. I think this could be the first year in a while where we don't draft a goalie though, considering how many of them we already have in our pipeline at the moment (Enroth, Hackett, Lieuwen, Makarov, Knapp, Ullmark, that's a lot of young guys who we all have to find playing time for eventually).
Don't forget Peterson. Another late round flier who at least in development camp looked pretty good.

But I still think you have to take a goalie. You just never know who is going to pan out. In a few years, will we still have Makarov, Lieuwen, Knapp, Ullmark in the system, or will they have flamed out? There was a time I was completely sold on Bradley Eidsness...

They can grab someone going the college route or a European if they don't want to overflow the professional level yet--gives them a couple extra years to make a decision. But you gotta stick with the late round goalie strategy. Plus, a good goalie prospect might be a nice asset to have in a few years when we're looking to make the trade to put us over the top.

Old
11-05-2013, 04:39 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
But I still think you have to take a goalie. You just never know who is going to pan out. In a few years, will we still have Makarov, Lieuwen, Knapp, Ullmark in the system, or will they have flamed out? There was a time I was completely sold on Bradley Eidsness...
Absolutely. When you look at how many reliable guys they have in the goalie pipeline (none really) and how many picks they'll have this year (a lot, most likely), there's absolutely no good reason not to pick a goalie at some point

Old
11-05-2013, 06:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
What if the same scenario plays out next year? Say we draft 3rd and it just so happens there's two players ranked around 3, with the edge to the defenseman. Stay the course with BPA always?
See if you can trade out of a spot if need be.

Closed Thread