HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 162: Silva vs Weidman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2013, 04:49 PM
  #451
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I missed that. A few months ago I remember him going on about how great it would be to have a UFC event on Fox on Saturday and then the Super Bowl on Fox the following day.

I think it was during the media scrum after this past event. Someone mentioned the superbowl card potentially being a Fox event and Dana said it would be a PPV, although he may have been just talking about the Silva/Weidman rematch being PPV which would make sense why he'd be looking to have it in the December PPV slot and not during the superbowl if that card is to be a Fox card.


Last edited by Peter Griffin: 07-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
  #452
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 48,374
vCash: 500
Yeah I think he was referring to Silva/Weidman only. With the amount of money he brings to UFC, it'd b stupid to release the fight for free.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  #453
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,846
vCash: 500
Anderson's video blog....


Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:33 PM
  #454
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,872
vCash: 500
^

Lol at taking advice from Usher. Who's next, Steven Seagal? Oh, right.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
  #455
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
^

Lol at taking advice from Usher. Who's next, Steven Seagal? Oh, right.
That part made me laugh. Of all people, Usher?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:35 PM
  #456
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 50
I'm pretty sure Usher has been training at Blackhouse for awhile, and the two of them are friends. So while kind of dumb, it's not random or anything.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
  #457
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 50
If you wanna idolize and fight like Roy Jones, then you're gonna get knocked out like Roy Jones.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:33 PM
  #458
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I'm pretty sure Usher has been training at Blackhouse for awhile, and the two of them are friends. So while kind of dumb, it's not random or anything.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. Still doesn't change how ridiculous it is to see him try and give a pep talk to possibly the greatest MMA fighter of all-time.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:45 AM
  #459
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 48,374
vCash: 500
It's not that he was giving a pep talk, it's that it was absolute horse **** What was he even saying?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:47 AM
  #460
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,404
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Oh, I'm well aware of that. Still doesn't change how ridiculous it is to see him try and give a pep talk to possibly the greatest MMA fighter of all-time.
It's like the Beibs giving a pep talk to Phil Kessel because he had that skate with the Leafs.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:13 AM
  #461
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
It's not that he was giving a pep talk, it's that it was absolute horse **** What was he even saying?
From the way Anderson kept saying "ya" and nodding I don't think he knew either.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  #462
Suxnet
Registered User
 
Suxnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
^

Lol at taking advice from Usher. Who's next, Steven Seagal? Oh, right.
Seagal is a 7th degree black belt in Aikido so he probably knows a thing or two about martial arts. Just sayin'.

Suxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:49 PM
  #463
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work
 
yada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: watching happy pony
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Yeah I think he was referring to Silva/Weidman only. With the amount of money he brings to UFC, it'd b stupid to release the fight for free.
Saying free fights is a bad idea is dumb. You should always promote having big fights for free. I can't wait til theres no more ppv.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:42 PM
  #464
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 48,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
Saying free fights is a bad idea is dumb. You should always promote having big fights for free.
Right. Always. GSP's and Silva's fights should always be free. The organization should totally throw away their biggest sources of revenue for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
I can't wait til theres no more ppv.
You can't wait to get something for free? Shocker.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:36 PM
  #465
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work
 
yada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: watching happy pony
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Right. Always. GSP's and Silva's fights should always be free. The organization should totally throw away their biggest sources of revenue for nothing.


You can't wait to get something for free? Shocker.
would you rather pay 65 to watch ufc like currently constructed or watch all ufc for free same as you watch the nhl, nba, mlb, nfl, nascar, indycar, f1 or even soccer which is all televised for free. for me i will be happy when ufc is bigger then boxing and fix the stupid ppv thing. ufc gives good free fights and free title fights which is why it can eclipse boxing. once they can charge enough for advertising they can up their bid and possibly try and get an exclusive contract for all ufc content meaning no ppv.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:51 PM
  #466
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
would you rather pay 65 to watch ufc like currently constructed or watch all ufc for free same as you watch the nhl, nba, mlb, nfl, nascar, indycar, f1 or even soccer which is all televised for free. for me i will be happy when ufc is bigger then boxing and fix the stupid ppv thing. ufc gives good free fights and free title fights which is why it can eclipse boxing. once they can charge enough for advertising they can up their bid and possibly try and get an exclusive contract for all ufc content meaning no ppv.
Boxing gives good free fights too, on both ESPN and HBO After Dark.

And you're dreaming if you think UFC can eclipse boxing. Boxing pays their fighters millions of dollars. The top fighters are always among Forbes' highest paid athletes. UFC has a LONG way to go before they can contend with that.

As for UFC no longer being PPV, that's also never gonna happen.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
  #467
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work
 
yada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: watching happy pony
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Boxing gives good free fights too, on both ESPN and HBO After Dark.

And you're dreaming if you think UFC can eclipse boxing. Boxing pays their fighters millions of dollars. The top fighters are always among Forbes' highest paid athletes. UFC has a LONG way to go before they can contend with that.

As for UFC no longer being PPV, that's also never gonna happen.
im not saying that the ufc is bigger then boxing. what ufc has going for it is big fights happen between the best fighters. if floyd mayweather and manny paquio would have been in the ufc that fight would have happened, but as currently constructed there is nothing that makes boxing matches happen. the best fighters can duck each other to protect their pro records all they want like happened with that match.

when the ufc gets a big enough contract offer from network television ppv will go by the wayside. i certainly dont expect it to be in 6 years when this current fox deal is up. think about if ufc avg 400,000n tv buys at 65 thats 312 mil a year in ppv revenue, think if fox bid 750 mil a year for exclusive ufc content you think that ufc would say naw wed rather keep our ppvs and take 100 mil a year for current contract and make our ppv money.

edit
not hard numbers just using an example


Last edited by yada: 07-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:48 PM
  #468
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
im not saying that the ufc is bigger then boxing. what ufc has going for it is big fights happen between the best fighters. if floyd mayweather and manny paquio would have been in the ufc that fight would have happened, but as currently constructed there is nothing that makes boxing matches happen. the best fighters can duck each other to protect their pro records all they want like happened with that match.

when the ufc gets a big enough contract offer from network television ppv will go by the wayside. i certainly dont expect it to be in 6 years when this current fox deal is up. think about if ufc avg 400,000n tv buys at 65 thats 312 mil a year in ppv revenue, think if fox bid 750 mil a year for exclusive ufc content you think that ufc would say naw wed rather keep our ppvs and take 100 mil a year for current contract and make our ppv money.
If they can get an offer like that they'll get rid of PPV but that's very unrealistic. That's close to what Fox pays for the NFL's rights. I think the NBA gets around $900 million combined from ESPN/ABC/TNT.

I don't think the UFC will ever get a contract like that but if they keep getting bigger and are able to get a TV contract that pays them around $300M/yr, they could go away from PPV. Maybe have four big PPVs a year and have the rest on free TV.

I wouldn't even mind a NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Center Ice type of subscription for UFC events.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:19 AM
  #469
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 14,652
vCash: 500

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
  #470
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Made me smile.

OttawaRoughRiderFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
  #471
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work
 
yada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: watching happy pony
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
too bad the ufc pulled weidmans punchout. that **** was hilarious

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.