HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bobby Ryan for Ehrhoff

Old
07-01-2013, 10:03 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan for Ehrhoff

What do the two fan bases think about a deal revolving around Ryan for Ehrhoff?

I really like the idea of getting younger, especially if that player coming back is a great winger like BR. This trade gives the Ducks a prime-age, minute-munching, top pairing defenseman on a good contract for many more years.

I know some Buffalo fans are going to balk at this for moving our best current D-man, but with our draft yesterday, Defense is a serious position of strength for us now, while wing is very weak. Need for need. Just seems like a good hockey trade to me.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:19 AM
idiroft

Can he play right side?

As a Ducks fan I'd say yes to that deal.

But how about we give you a stop-gap defenseman with a booming shot in Souray (signed for two more years)? Would you add an forward to this deal?

idiroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiroft View Post
Can he play right side?

But how about we give you a stop-gap defenseman with a booming shot in Souray (signed for two more years)? Would you add an forward to this deal?
You might be able to snag Stafford, but I don't know if we'd give him up for Souray. Although you could easily get Luke Adam or Nathan Gerbe added to this for very little. Unless we're improving the team by trading Stafford, I'm content to keep him.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Can he play right side?

It'd be a miracle if they took Souray off our hands. The term and everything involved seems like a big no-go. I will say I think Souray is more than capable of managing second-pair minutes even at this point in his career. He just needs a solid mobile defenseman alongside him.

Losing Ryan would be hard to swallow, especially if we're not getting anything back on the forward front, but Ehrhoff would be incredibly enticing to Anaheim. He's got a bit of size, he adds much needed offense, and his contract is incredible.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
It'd be a miracle if they took Souray off our hands. The term and everything involved seems like a big no-go. I will say I think Souray is more than capable of managing second-pair minutes even at this point in his career. He just needs a solid mobile defenseman alongside him.

Losing Ryan would be hard to swallow, especially if we're not getting anything back on the forward front, but Ehrhoff would be incredibly enticing to Anaheim. He's got a bit of size, he adds much needed offense, and his contract is incredible.
I would do something like Ehrhoff + Stafford + for Ryan + Sbisa

Old
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
What do the two fan bases think about a deal revolving around Ryan for Ehrhoff?

I really like the idea of getting younger, especially if that player coming back is a great winger like BR. This trade gives the Ducks a prime-age, minute-munching, top pairing defenseman on a good contract for many more years.

I know some Buffalo fans are going to balk at this for moving our best current D-man, but with our draft yesterday, Defense is a serious position of strength for us now, while wing is very weak. Need for need. Just seems like a good hockey trade to me.
The defensive pipeline just became a strength. Neither Risto nor Zadarov are NHLers yet.

Quote:
Can he play right side?

Yes he can play RD, in fact he has said he prefers it. The priority in Buffalo is the rebuild, so becoming worse next year to commit to the 2014/15 tank is a priority. Not sure if we are better or worse next year after the deal. Ryan is younger but is signed for significantly less time. If we could resign him he would probably be more useful 4-5 years down the road when the rebuild is bearing fruit. If not we would be better keeping Ehrhoff. I'd think about it. I don't think Souray helps the rebuild very much so I wouldn't add Stafford if that is what you were thinking.

Last edited by SoFFacet: 07-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.
SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Force951

vCash: 128
I want nothing to do with Ehrhoff, not sure why others seem to. He doesn't solve our issue of getting Fowler a partner.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
Ristolainen and zadorov are years away, plus we traded sekera, defense is not an NHL level strength, this would be stupid on all fronts.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
voxel
Are we legit yet?

Quote:
I would do something like Ehrhoff + Stafford + for Ryan + Sbisa
That's awful for the Ducks. Where is Vanek in that?

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
NYVanfan

huh. seemed like the Duckfan consensus was that Edler was not enough for Ryan ...but now Erhoff is?

if i was a duck fan id would think id want Hodgson added in to balance this

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

How the heck does Ehrhoff carry that kind of value? Talk about the shenanigans an obscure franchise can pull...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ZeroPT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
That's awful for the Ducks. Where is Vanek in that?
Are you kidding me? Why would buffalo even consider this?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
voxel
Are we legit yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Are you kidding me? Why would buffalo even consider this?
"Errorhoff" and Stafford are lesser players than Ryan and Sbsia. Sabres need to sweeten the pot or take negative value like Souray.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
Ristolainen and zadorov are years away, plus we traded sekera, defense is not an NHL level strength, this would be stupid on all fronts.
Yeah but we are not building to be good next year, we are building for the future, and in the organization, D is a strength when it comes to value. You trade from positions of strength for areas of weakness, aka, scorers.

Also, Ristolainen will likely be here next year, either in Buff or Rochester. Zadorov probably one more year in London.

Why do you think acquiring Bobby Ryan would be stupid? Are you trying to win the cup next year with Ehrhoff on the team?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:42 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
"Errorhoff" and Stafford are lesser players than Ryan and Sbsia. Sabres need to sweeten the pot or take negative value like Souray.
Well its obvious that you don't value Ehrhoff as much as nearly everyone else does. He's a top pairing, minute eating, all around D. And you're saying he's a lesser player than Ryan and Sbisa? LOL

Old
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
Yeah but we are not building to be good next year, we are building for the future, and in the organization, D is a strength when it comes to value. You trade from positions of strength for areas of weakness, aka, scorers.

Also, Ristolainen will likely be here next year, either in Buff or Rochester. Zadorov probably one more year in London.

Why do you think acquiring Bobby Ryan would be stupid? Are you trying to win the cup next year with Ehrhoff on the team?
No, right now he is our best D, Ryan is really inconsistent, the difference between stafford and Ryan is not erhoff, plus I want. Nothing to do with Sbisa, he was a mess in his own zone whenever I saw him play. I don't think Ryan is a first liner, he's a border line first liner /very good second liner.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Well its obvious that you don't value Ehrhoff as much as nearly everyone else does. He's a top pairing, minute eating, all around D. And you're saying he's a lesser player than Ryan and Sbisa? LOL
He's not as good as you think.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
No, right now he is our best D, Ryan is really inconsistent, the difference between stafford and Ryan is not erhoff, plus I want. Nothing to do with Sbisa, he was a mess in his own zone whenever I saw him play. I don't think Ryan is a first liner, he's a border line first liner /very good second liner.
4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons for a 26yr old isn't consistency to you? I'd like to see what is then...

Yeah, right now Ehrhoff is our best D, you got that right. But who cares? In 4-5 years when our prospects are coming to fruition, he would be 35 and Myers, Risto, Zad, Pysyk, McNabb, and McCabe will be entering their prime years. I don't see us needing him at that point. So who cares if we get rid of him and suck this year? I sure as hell don't see us a icing a competitive playoff team.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How the heck does Ehrhoff carry that kind of value? Talk about the shenanigans an obscure franchise can pull...
Because he's a top pairing d-man? He's been hands-down Buffalo's top defender since coming here. He plays ~25 minutes a night, all situations, and his possession numbers are fantastic, despite playing for the league's worst possession team. Plus, he's obviously a huge asset for any team's PP.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He's not as good as you think.
Okay, great fact finding dude.

22 pts, +6, led Sabres in blocked shots, ice time, and quality of competition this year. He had a plus rating on one of the very worst defensive teams in the NHL. Buy yeah, you're totally right I'm sure, he's just not as good as I think.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons for a 26yr old isn't consistency to you? I'd like to see what is then...

Yeah, right now Ehrhoff is our best D, you got that right. But who cares? In 4-5 years when our prospects are coming to fruition, he would be 35 and Myers, Risto, Zad, Pysyk, McNabb, and McCabe will be entering their prime years. I don't see us needing him at that point. So who cares if we get rid of him and suck this year? I sure as hell don't see us a icing a competitive playoff team.
I was mostly talking about this year and last. I don't see why Ryan would help this team in any manner, sure we could use a young goalscoring winger but our offensive options are solid right now: Stafford,Vanek,Leino,Ennis,CoHo. We don't need Ryan, it doesn't help our rebuild in any way shape or form. Erhoff will help mature our young D-men, if we trade away Erhoff our oldest D-man will be Weber/McBain and that doesn't cut it for me.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
buffalocupcrazy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post

sabres fans would say the same about stafford

so deal!

but personally, I'm not really interested in moving ehrhoff. he's too valuable to us

buffalocupcrazy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
CraniumCram
cram it

Quote:
I was mostly talking about this year and last. I don't see why Ryan would help this team in any manner, sure we could use a young goalscoring winger but our offensive options are solid right now: Stafford,Vanek,Leino,Ennis,CoHo. We don't need Ryan, it doesn't help our rebuild in any way shape or form. Erhoff will help mature our young D-men, if we trade away Erhoff our oldest D-man will be Weber/McBain and that doesn't cut it for me.
I completely disagree with the bolded. He helps our team in a myriad of ways.
1. He's physical, something we're lacking on the front end.
2. Stafford is very unreliable, and Vanek may not be around for much longer, especially considering he's 30 and would be 35 and a 3rd liner by the time we could compete. Leino, meh.

I think you're way off in your assessment of our scoring talent. Its the most obvious future need on our team by far. From everything you're saying, it appears that you're not looking to the future at all, because there is a very high chance that both Stafford and Vanek are gone very soon. Ask literally any Sabres fan what this team needs over the next few years, and 99/100 will tell you that need is scoring.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:25 AM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
I completely disagree with the bolded. He helps our team in a myriad of ways.
1. He's physical, something we're lacking on the front end.
2. Stafford is very unreliable, and Vanek may not be around for much longer, especially considering he's 30 and would be 35 and a 3rd liner by the time we could compete. Leino, meh.

I think you're way off in your assessment of our scoring talent. Its the most obvious future need on our team by far. From everything you're saying, it appears that you're not looking to the future at all, because there is a very high chance that both Stafford and Vanek are gone very soon. Ask literally any Sabres fan what this team needs over the next few years, and 99/100 will tell you that need is scoring.
Yes scoring is a need BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR BEST GOD DAMN DEFENSEMAN!! Let's say we trade Erhoff for ryan, Sekera is gone, meaning our best D is Myers, no way jose never. Erhoff has more value to us than any other NHL team right now, We're rebuilding, and he is a veteran defensman capable of playing huge minutes,signed longterm on a very good contract VS S good scorer (who wouldn't even be our best offensive player since Vanek is still a Sabre and might even resign for all we know) with 2 years left who probably wouldn't stick around afterward? I would keep Erhoff and not tjink twice about it.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:25 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Sorry, you're saying that Ryan is inconsistent but using Stafford and Leino as examples of why the Sabres offensive options are 'solid'

Vanek is either gone this summer or at the deadline

Granted I agree that a guy like Ehrhoff would be great for teaching the younger guys. He's not a flashy player, but he does a lot of little things right and can be a stable presence for an otherwise very unstable d core.