HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hejduk

Old
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

vCash: 500
It would be one thing if we had a wing spot open and Tanguay was coming back....but only one of those things is true...

He wont do well in a checking and PK only role. Love you Duke but hang them up. Congrats on a great career. Some of the best hands in the business but the rest just isnt there anymore.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:47 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Only way I see Duke back is if Roy/Sakic & co. decide to go all offense with their forwards, in which case I could see him back on the 4th line

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 2000
I don't see him as an effective 4th line player. But a trade could open up a spot in the top 9.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Colorado Avalanche

I love Hejduk, hes good hockey player, but I dont see where he would fit in our current roster. Hopefully iam wrong. Selanne kind of come back would be awesome.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar View Post
I'd love to see Hejduk give it another go, maybe even pull a Forsberg and jump in and play a half a season. Even though he has had two terrible seasons, I think he was just fed up with Sacco, plus wasn't getting many opportunity's.

At the very least, and I know it's crazy but have him come in for training camp and see how he does with Tangs, if they could possibly reunite some old chemistry or it looks like he's got a new fire lit under him then sign him to a one year, if still looks lost then at least he was given a shot if that's even what he wants.
That sounds like a good idea. I dont want to see Hejduk playing for another nhl team.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:25 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Hang his Jersey from the rafters and let him enjoy being a retired Dad. If he wants, I'd think he's a good fit for a front office job, perhaps even being part of developing our Euro scouting to a higher level (just not being the one who travels everywhere).

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Yipperfan
NWOBHM forever \m/

He's done.

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
He wants to keep playing but the Avs don't want him.

Quote:
"He wants to keep playing," Hejduk's agent, Jiri Crha said Monday in a phone interview. "If there is any team that really wants to use him for his offensive skills, he still believes he could do it."

The Avs, however, don't appear to be interested. Hejduk, 37, is an unrestricted free agent and Crha said the Avs have informed him he is not in their plans.

"They are very honest about their different plans. They don't believe he can play in their top six of forwards," Crha said. "We just saw a player (Daniel Alfredsson in Ottawa) who left after 17 years with the same team. That's the reality of the hockey life."
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...l-team-besides

Best of luck to him if he signs with another team. There's just no room for him on the Avs and I'm glad Sakic isn't going to bring him back just because they're friends. Would have been nice to see him retire with the Avs (it could still happen) but it's time to move on.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I could see someone like the New York Rangers taking him based off of his name.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Dutchy09*

Sad to see him go, a part of me hopes he retires just so he only played with the Avs.

Dutchy09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
I don't see him as an effective 4th line player. But a trade could open up a spot in the top 9.
He really wouldn't be an upgrade over anybody in the top 9 really.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Gotta give Sakic and Roy credit. That was probably not a fun phone call to make. I really appreciate everything the Duke did in Colorado though and will root for him even if he goes to another team but his time here was up.

On a side note, I can't blame players for not knowing when to quit or hanging on a little to long since playing hockey has been their whole life for so long it's gotta be a little scary not knowing what to do afterwards.

Oh yeah...Drury also robbed the Calder from the Duke. It should've been Milan's.

expatriated_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
Bet he scores 20 goals if he plays next season. Being away from Sacco will do wonders.

Joe Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Drury_Sakic

How do try-out contracts work? Can Hejduk come to camp on any type of temporary contract? If so, and he was willing to do so, that would be the best choice for both parties, as Hejduk can try to show what he can do under a new staff and with a full summer to prepare and both sides can walk away if its not going to work out without Hejduk having to suffer a season on the 4th line and in and out of the roster.

Another alternative that I would fully support is Hejduk sitting out the first 1/2 of the season, giving him time to rest, re-condition himself, and come in for the stretch run of the season at 100%. You either add an experienced Hejduk to a team that is pushing towards the playoffs, adding a vet player without giving up anything...or you create some buzz around a non-playoff team to sell tickets and again add some veteran leadership.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:36 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Hard to say but he really does look like he's done. Not a 4th liner, and really doubt he wants to go out playing 8 minutes a night and spot powerplay time. Tough choice to make, but a good one. Even his shot doesn't look the same anymore.

Hope he hangs 'em up, wish him the best if he doesn't. Time for the Avs to move on, wouldn't have been upset if we kept him around but think there making the right choice.

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
How do try-out contracts work? Can Hejduk come to camp on any type of temporary contract? If so, and he was willing to do so, that would be the best choice for both parties, as Hejduk can try to show what he can do under a new staff and with a full summer to prepare and both sides can walk away if its not going to work out without Hejduk having to suffer a season on the 4th line and in and out of the roster.

Another alternative that I would fully support is Hejduk sitting out the first 1/2 of the season, giving him time to rest, re-condition himself, and come in for the stretch run of the season at 100%. You either add an experienced Hejduk to a team that is pushing towards the playoffs, adding a vet player without giving up anything...or you create some buzz around a non-playoff team to sell tickets and again add some veteran leadership.
I like the alternative option. Never know what injuries might hit and if Hejduk comes in at 100% and actually wants to play for the coach then he could get hot enough to help us with the push. Still though I believe he should retire but join management so when can keep the 2001 Stanley Cup team reunion going on.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:30 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Duke...

I don't want to see him in anything but burgundy and blue.
Would just feel gutwrenchingly wrong.
Hopefully he reconsiders and hangs it up or atleast signs a cheap contract (maybe with bonuses) and competes in camp. We could always cut him if he can't make our top9.

Just sad. I understand that he does not want to retire prematurely but he has completely broken down over the last 2 years.
Very sad..

Last edited by JoemAvs: 07-08-2013 at 07:39 PM.
JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:52 PM
tucker3434

Oh, that's awkward. I hate it for Hejduk, but he just doesn't have it anymore. If we hadn't made the Jones-Tanguay trade, I could see him beating Jones for a spot, but I don't see him beating Tangs. I guess I wouldn't be upset if we signed him for another year at $2m, but I highly doubt he'd be happy with his role here anymore.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
AvsWraith

Could've at least let him come to camp and compete if that's what he really wants. After all the money he left on the table to stay an Av, I don't think it would be too much to ask. Plus, it would've been cool to see him with Tangs one more time.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
First alfie and now hejduk? ??? What are they trying to do to me???

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy09 View Post
Sad to see him go, a part of me hopes he retires just so he only played with the Avs.
Yeah i think we were all hoping that he would retires as an Avs . If Dukes really wants to play another years and we are not open to the idea , there's not much Duke can do about it . He must look at his options ... At least he didnt pull an "Alfredsson" on us .

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Sheet

Huge props to sakic and co. That was extremely unnepotistical... that had to of been very hard.

He needs to be done imo. Maybe theres some left in the tank but im not seeing it.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Very sad. He should retire as Avalanche. Really really horrible.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
Huge props to sakic and co. That was extremely unnepotistical... that had to of been very hard.

He needs to be done imo. Maybe theres some left in the tank but im not seeing it.
If we weren't so deep offensively he would fit in, but we have so good top-9, that no way Hejduk fits in. At best he would be playing in fourth line with no powerplay time. Only shorthanded, at max. Not really for Hejduk..

Old
07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
foppagirl21

Aw, I was pretty excited having 2/3s of the AMP line back (...if only Peter was here...)!

On a serious note, it will be quite difficult watching Hejduk in a different jersey, if that is what ends up happening. He is one of the most loyal and dedicated Avs players of all-time. I will really miss him, but at the end of the day, he will always be burgundy and blue.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote