HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

D Martin Marincin and C Roman Horak called up.

Old
12-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Lindo

vCash: 500
D Martin Marincin and C Roman Horak called up.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m
#Oilers recall defenceman Martin Marincin and forward Roman Horak from the @OKCBarons.

Marincin up again and Horak's first look, hmm.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Spawn

Interested to see Horak in an Oilers jersey. First game in against the Flames too will be interesting.

Hopefully he lights them up for 2 or 3 goals.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m
#Oilers recall defenceman Martin Marincin and forward Roman Horak from the @OKCBarons.

Marincin up again and Horak's first look, hmm.

Are we assigning Lander back to OKC? Did we suffer and additional injuries after WPG? I don't get these call ups.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Lindo

I think Arcobello might be injured but not sure about Marincin being called up. Maybe sending Potter down?

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:31 PM
dnicks17

Should be interesting to see Horak.

I watched a couple OKC games lately and I'm pretty sure he graduated from the Ryan Smyth Academy of Half-Board Clappers at the top of his class.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Staghorn

vCash: 298
Marincin isn't ready - and may never be - but there is no doubt Potter isn't an NHL DMan... Smid wasn't great, but he at least was a solid NHL contributor. One has to seriously ask, "WTF" when you look at that Smid trade and see the current state of DMen in this organization... Utterly pathetic.

Staghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:37 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Are we assigning Lander back to OKC? Did we suffer and additional injuries after WPG? I don't get these call ups.
Some of the guys ate too much turkey.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
BleedingOil

lol smids a dime n dozen dman

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
I sense sarcasm.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:58 PM
yukoner88

Im excited to see Horak play, one of my best friends is a Flames fan, and he was pretty high on Horak. He may pan out and make us forget about Smid

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
...and the Flames have lots of dime a dozen, gritty forwards that are NHLers that we lack. We could have gotten a decent player. I'm not sure two prospects are what we need at this point. We need contributors.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 06:27 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Im excited to see Horak play, one of my best friends is a Flames fan, and he was pretty high on Horak. He may pan out and make us forget about Smid
I agree. Good two way prospect.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Aerchon

Maracin is a highly touted defensive prospect. If the damn kid could only start putting on some serious weight he would of been fighting for a roster spot right out of camp.

As it is, I expect him to either be a bust or take a long time to fill out and make the NHL as a regular. Most likely with another team other than the Oilers.

These call ups for him are just for him to get his feet wet and keep him hungry. If the rest of our defense was playing even remotely well and we were in a better position in the standing he doesn't get called up. Also Klefboms stinker of a year has moved him up the depth chart.

Horak... I know nothing about him. I would think he has a one in a million shot at ever making 100 games in the NHL no matter which team has him. He should be so far below someone like Anton Lander it isn't even funny but...

... Lander has completely failed to date in the NHL. Appears lost in the big show and has unacceptable defensive lapses. To boot what little offense he has completely disappears in the nhl.

Its still a bit early but Lander is not showing good signs to reach the 100 game mark in the NHL either.

Both call ups are signs of a desperate organization just praying for lightning in a bottle. I honestly don't know if the Oilers organization is terrible at drafting, developing prospects, or just unlucky. Guys like Maracin and Lander really should be knocking on the door but clearly are just standing on the doorstep.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staghorn View Post
Smid wasn't great, but he at least was a solid NHL contributor.
My only qualm is that he didn't fight couldn't make break out passes, had no shot from the point and rarely scored. Sure he made some nice hits, (though he was no Scott Stevens), and he blocked alot of shots, (He was no Ulanov blocking shots with his face).. but he just wasn't mobile enough for this team, and was on a downward trend.
Either way, I'm excited to see Horak.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Horak... I know nothing about him. I would think he has a one in a million shot at ever making 100 games in the NHL no matter which team has him. He should be so far below someone like Anton Lander it isn't even funny but...
Horak has already played 82 games in the NHL.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 07:15 PM
spOiler

Smid so over rated just because he is a good guy

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 07:36 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
...and the Flames have lots of dime a dozen, gritty forwards that are NHLers that we lack. We could have gotten a decent player. I'mpl not sure two prospects are what we need at this point. We need contributors.
Horak is a pretty "decent" 2 way guy and hes only getting better too. Smids on a downhill slope and can easily be replaced in the offseason.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 07:59 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm excited to see how Horak can do. I don't see a place for him moving forward, but who knows

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Maracin is a highly touted defensive prospect. If the damn kid could only start putting on some serious weight he would of been fighting for a roster spot right out of camp.

As it is, I expect him to either be a bust or take a long time to fill out and make the NHL as a regular. Most likely with another team other than the Oilers.

These call ups for him are just for him to get his feet wet and keep him hungry. If the rest of our defense was playing even remotely well and we were in a better position in the standing he doesn't get called up. Also Klefboms stinker of a year has moved him up the depth chart.

... Lander has completely failed to date in the NHL. Appears lost in the big show and has unacceptable defensive lapses. To boot what little offense he has completely disappears in the nhl.

Its still a bit early but Lander is not showing good signs to reach the 100 game mark in the NHL either.

Both call ups are signs of a desperate organization just praying for lightning in a bottle. I honestly don't know if the Oilers organization is terrible at drafting, developing prospects, or just unlucky. Guys like Maracin and Lander really should be knocking on the door but clearly are just standing on the doorstep.
Horak and Lander are 18 and 25 games away from the 100 game mark respectively. If you'd said 300 games or something, then maybe not, but they could very well both hit that mark this year.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:52 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm excited to see how Horak can do. I don't see a place for him moving forward, but who knows
That 4th line C spot is just begging to be claimed by someone. Don't know if Horak is the guy but he can't be any worse than Lander or Acton.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Interested to see Horak in an Oilers jersey. First game in against the Flames too will be interesting.

Hopefully he lights them up for 2 or 3 goals.
even a point would be sweet.

better Horak than Acton, anyway.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1546
Quote:

you should have stopped when you admitted you know nothing of Horak.

a one in a million shot at ever making 100 games?
let's make that a bet. Tell you what, I'll make it cheap for you and only bet one dollar.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:33 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Lander hasn't been that bad this year when you consider how useless Action and Belanger have been over the past few years.

Wonder how long till Acrobello is back and why TSN's injury list is so messed up.

Steve MacIntyre 2013-09-28 on injured reserve knee
Ryan Hamilton 2013-10-08 on injured reserve knee
Tyler Pitlick 2013-10-27 on injured reserve sprained left knee
Richard Bachman 2013-11-03 on injured reserve strained groin

That's all TSN has listed for injured Oilers. Goes to show that they don't care about us one bit. If I'm not mistaken, Hamilton, Pitlick and Machman have played multiple games with the Barrons and therefore should not be considered injured anymore.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Horak is a pretty "decent" 2 way guy and hes only getting better too. Smids on a downhill slope and can easily be replaced in the offseason.
I know all about him. I have him in my keeper draft. I think he has a decent shot at becoming a useful player someday. My point is that we do not need projects at this stage. We received two guys that MAY become useful guys some day.

Smid was no world beater but he was known to have value around the league. Calgary has a lot of bottom six guys already proven to be NHLers. I would have preferred a guy like Bouma or a similar player, which should have been a very fair trade to get in return and I think accomidated. Heck, even Max Reinhart would have filled need better IMHO. Who knows who all was available but surely a one for one could have been done with a player type we lack?

Horak has played games in the last few seasons for the Flames. Maybe this last half is his break in period, but that is not assured. Bouma hits like a truck, kills penalties and is gritty. We will soon all hate him like we did Clutterbuck. We should have aimed higher. Just my personal preference for helping the team now instead of maybe some say.

MacT said we don't need any more prospects or picks and he trades away roster players that could be used to fill need with......prospects. Brilliant. I truly hope they turn out, but man it sure looks like a missed opportunity to me and that is just looking at the Flames roster and not the rest of the league. We'll never know what other teams would have inquired. That opportunity may have been even better but MacT decided to not let anyone know that Smid was available. How does that slide? Bush league.

Anyway, I selfishly hope Horak does well. I will be rooting for him in any case.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 03:04 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Lander is a perfect example of how this organization just can NOT develop it's prospects. Somehow I think if Lander was drafted by Detroit he would be a great 3rd or at least 4th line centre by now. This was a guy who by some experts (at least those that I remember that I heard from) said that although his high-end talent was somewhat limited, and that he wouldn't likely ever be a top-6 NHL, that he was pretty much a sure-fire bottom-6 guy within a few years after the draft. Well we are, after 4 years since he was drafted, and his development has been slow, at best.

In fact, here's Stu MacGregor about Lander on draft day (he better be considered an "expert"--he's the freaking director of Oiler scouting): “Very excited about Anton. He’s a player we look at as a potential second-line centre with for sure third-line ability."

Well what the hell went wrong? When is there going to be some accountability for failed prospect development across the board? At this point I'm starting to think that it wasn't player selection--even if they were just randomly selecting players past the 2nd round for the past 8 years (or so) you're going to get lucky on at least someone. But no--nothing; no one. Tells me it's more to do with development than draft choices, but I'm going out on a limb with this one, as I'm admittedly not a prospects guru.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote