HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
wha, no raging on about how we missed out on Clarkson yet? Haha

srsly, I think the moves he's NOT making (i.e. not overpaying for anything) speak just as much as the moves he IS making
Clarkson was set on TO, by the sounds of it the Oilers offered as much, if not more than what the leafs paid.

Not really a positive when the choice had nothing to do with Mact.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Mr.Prez
Hai Kids!

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so far, the Ference signing, and perhaps Belov, makes the team better. all other signing today meerly fill the roster. the forward corp is not better than last year.... yet.
...don't forget about the Dallas trade...

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Verdadero
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
addition by subtraction my friend... The main blocks are in place... just need fillers now..

Smid-Petry
Ference-Justin
Belov-Nick

seems balanced and solid enough... Klefbom kicking the tires is the icing on top.

Lots of open spots up front but nothing major... We got the core signed up..
No sometimes subtraction is just subtraction.

That's one of the worst top d pairs in the league but passable as a decent 2nd pair on a contender. Kick everyone down a slot and it's OK but this will be awful as is. Oilers have NO top pair.

At center you have a quality kid with a busted wing who had 2 goals last year, a small slow offensive guy who cheats for it with zero faceoff ability, an overpaid quality 4th liner who brings zero offense, and an overmatched Swedish kid with no bat. That's one of the worst groups of centers in the league in terms of two way ability. Only RNH falls into that category but he's young, had surgery and took a big step back in terms of goal scoring last season.

The wingers are skilled but small in the top 6 and no size has been added. The bottom 6 is still a mess.

Starting goalie is league average or a bit better but the GM has been publicly critical and tried to deal for an upgrade. He's UFA next season and is probably thinking about options. Backup is league average or a bit better.

Color me unimpressed by Mr Big Talk so far. Only positive moves required huge overpays in terms of term and/or price. Goaltending is the same, defense is only slightly better and center is worse as of right now. No added veteran size in top 6 or bottom 6.

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:24 PM
killercookie

When are the bold moves coming??

Sorry to say it boys, but the little soft Oilers still have no sand papper in their forwards!! I am so sad, another year of watching the Oilers getting their ***** handed to them!!

killercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercookie View Post
Sorry to say it boys, but the little soft Oilers still have no sand papper in their forwards!! I am so sad, another year of watching the Oilers getting their ***** handed to them!!
Pretty bad second post, it's 2:24 pm were 6.5 hours into free agency

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:27 PM
OilGuns

vCash: 200
The season doesn't start tomorrow. Let's Get some backbone and wait a little before we start flailing around how we are done.

OilGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Will Acton says hello.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Jordo2001

I vote brutal post and brutal thread, free agency just started. Plus, Mac T is still gonna deal Hemmer. You add a prospect and a draft pick to that and we got some teams interested!!! A lot of teams interested in Paajarvi

Jordo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:30 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
We have over two months until the pre-season even starts. Need to hold judgment until we actually see the opening day roster.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Beerfish

We will make bold moves at the draft! If not we will be concerned!

Draft comes around no big improvement.

We will make bold moves in FA! If not we will be concerned!

FA comes around s bit of improvement.

We will make bold moves the rest of the summer! If not we will be concerned!

Ferentz was a good move, we had to pay and term the guy to get him and though as an actual hockey player I feel he is just okay. We badly need a nasty bugger back in the line.

Gordon, looks like a good move. A desperate need filled with a face off guy who can play defense.

The rest of the moves are pretty blah. I hope they are not really expecting the finn, the two marlies and the goalie to be important pats of this team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Panda Bear

I like the moves being made today.

Ference and Gordon are proven NHL players that have great attitudes. Labarbera will be supportive of Dubnyk who gets to hold the reins--and I believe he deserves to as a full #1 at this point.

Joensuu remodeled his game entirely from a top-six prospect to a bottom-six crasher so that he could make the NHL.

Acton and Hamilton, whether they spend time in the NHL or AHL, are players who worked incredibly hard to even make it this far. They're another two players with fantastic attitudes and work ethic.

Great attitudes and work ethics are infectious. When you see someone working themselves to death, you can't justify to yourself why you're not doing the same.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Xoto86
The Professor

vCash: 50
Ference played some heavy minutes for Boston during the playoffs so I'm guessing we got a pretty good hockey playing d-man here Very nice MacT

Xoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:05 PM
dnicks17

Fire MacT!

The depth isn't bold enough!

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We will make bold moves at the draft! If not we will be concerned!

Draft comes around no big improvement.

We will make bold moves in FA! If not we will be concerned!

FA comes around s bit of improvement.

We will make bold moves the rest of the summer! If not we will be concerned!

Ferentz was a good move, we had to pay and term the guy to get him and though as an actual hockey player I feel he is just okay. We badly need a nasty bugger back in the line.

Gordon, looks like a good move. A desperate need filled with a face off guy who can play defense.

The rest of the moves are pretty blah. I hope they are not really expecting the finn, the two marlies and the goalie to be important pats of this team.
Strangely no mention of the trade...

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I think deep down, beerfish regrets trading Horcoff.

He's probably too upset to talk about it.

Needs some time.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
We have over two months until the pre-season even starts. Need to hold judgment until we actually see the opening day roster.
true. but another important day, and Oilers manager is out-performed by.. well, by pretty much everybody.

Andrew Ference is a plus, but this lineup is 15 poiints out of a playoff spot. Mact still has LOTS of work to do.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
So Mact sold us bold but gave us blah.

Predictably predictable.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I already mentioned the trade in another thread and said he did a great job. I expect nothing from Larsen but getting rid of Horcoff and all his contract was a great move.

I still find it baffling that on one hand everyone and their dog on this forum praises Horcoff for being a solid 3rd liner and then on the other hand are pleased we got rid of him for a 2075 7th rounder and a low end 7 or 8 dman. If Horcoff is as good of a player and person as this forum says their should be universal outrage at him being dealt for so little.

And 'He is great, but it was time to go.' doesn't cut it.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I think deep down, beerfish regrets trading Horcoff.

He's probably too upset to talk about it.

Needs some time.
I had to wait to see what the whole deal was before commenting. I also had to keep out of the 'in praise of horcoff thread'. It would have become a total derail.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sort of a Tambellini-esque free agency period so far. Picked up depth guys and gave too many years to a guy in his mid thirties.

Gordon looks good aside from being a slight overpay, but even Tambo managed to get Belanger.

The difference will be whether or not MacT is able to realize that his team is bad right now.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Lots of moves but the Oilers are worse at Center today then they were days ago. Plus now we know with guys like Gordon and Acton what the plan is.

sigh

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
No sometimes subtraction is just subtraction.

That's one of the worst top d pairs in the league but passable as a decent 2nd pair on a contender. Kick everyone down a slot and it's OK but this will be awful as is. Oilers have NO top pair.

At center you have a quality kid with a busted wing who had 2 goals last year, a small slow offensive guy who cheats for it with zero faceoff ability, an overpaid quality 4th liner who brings zero offense, and an overmatched Swedish kid with no bat. That's one of the worst groups of centers in the league in terms of two way ability. Only RNH falls into that category but he's young, had surgery and took a big step back in terms of goal scoring last season.

The wingers are skilled but small in the top 6 and no size has been added. The bottom 6 is still a mess.

Starting goalie is league average or a bit better but the GM has been publicly critical and tried to deal for an upgrade. He's UFA next season and is probably thinking about options. Backup is league average or a bit better.

Color me unimpressed by Mr Big Talk so far. Only positive moves required huge overpays in terms of term and/or price. Goaltending is the same, defense is only slightly better and center is worse as of right now. No added veteran size in top 6 or bottom 6.
Yeah we should have traded for Malkin and Chara......that would have been bold......

To many people live in a fantasy world where they think we can just go out and acquire top pairing d men and all star goalies like they are growing on trees.......

We paid too much, he is too old, he is related to a coach, term is to long etc......Christ I saw a post where a guy had wished we had signed Tom ****ing Gilbert over Ference..........

Mact has done a fine job today and can really finish it off with some smart trades!!

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Lots of moves but the Oilers are worse at Center today then they were days ago. Plus now we know with guys like Gordon and Acton what the plan is.

sigh
We knew what the plan was the second Mact fired a coach while making noises about coaching philosophies closer to his ideals.

Grinding defensive hockey all the way.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:37 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Gotta say so far I am impressed with Mac T.

- Got rid of Horcoff, not much return but frankly not using a compliance buyout on him is a win.

- Signed Ference the D-man I thought would be the best fit for the Oilers, longer term but quite a bit lower hit then I expected. great leadership should be a perfect pair for J Schultz.

- Signed Gordon who I thought would be a perfect bottom six forward for the Oilers.

- actually like the Joensuu signing think he will be a good 4th liner winger still young enough to grow a bit, has some size and not absolute stone hands.

- Labarbera is Meh but will be a semi - serviceable back up, hear he is good friends with Dubs which is good I guess.

- got rid of the plague known as Belanger

- Little Disappointed he didn't go harder after Stalberg.

STILL DO TO

- Get Gagner signed to a contract similar to Bozaks

- Get Pajaarvi signed to decent contract

- TRADE HEMSKY For a gritty player - still really like a deal with Hemsky to OTT and Smith coming back as a base.

OnTheBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
We knew what the plan was the second Mact fired a coach while making noises about coaching philosophies closer to his ideals.

Grinding defensive hockey all the way.
With a lineup poorly equipped to do it.

Should be interesting.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote