HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:43 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With a lineup poorly equipped to do it.

Should be interesting.
I was going to say... I could live with the third and fourth lines being built in the shape of MacTavish hockey given what the team has on lines one and two... but they aren't. All I see in the bottom six are names that will go out and get murdered again on a nightly basis, outside of Paajarvi and Gordon.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With a lineup poorly equipped to do it.

Should be interesting.
Mact was always fond of trying to stuff his irregular shaped pegs into the square hole as a coach.

At least when things aren't very successful, he won't be able to blame anyone else for it this time around now that he's the GM.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:47 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
I like some of the moves MacT has made thus far. Obviously he has more in mind - will be interesting to see what the line-up looks like in October.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I already mentioned the trade in another thread and said he did a great job. I expect nothing from Larsen but getting rid of Horcoff and all his contract was a great move.

I still find it baffling that on one hand everyone and their dog on this forum praises Horcoff for being a solid 3rd liner and then on the other hand are pleased we got rid of him for a 2075 7th rounder and a low end 7 or 8 dman. If Horcoff is as good of a player and person as this forum says their should be universal outrage at him being dealt for so little.

And 'He is great, but it was time to go.' doesn't cut it.
Its been years but you can't still tell the difference between player and contract.

3rd line player. 1st line contract. Getting rid of the contract means cap space. Getting rid of the player means we need to replace him.

Does Toronto waiving Grabovski means Grabovski is a bad player?

Does Tampa Bay buying out Lecavalier mean he's washed up and a terrible player?

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 1729
I wanted MacT to go after lower key signings and leave the stupid paying to the overzealous GMs.

I hope he adds more but so far I'm satisfied.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Parch

-Replaced Khabby with Labarbara. meh.
-Replaced Horcoff with Gordon. OK, I'll buy that this is an improvement, maybe.
-Replaced Whitney with Ference. Yay! A legit improvement.
-The rest of the pickups might not even make the team.

Is this "improvement" good enough? Don't plan the parade.

I'm perfectly willing to cling onto the "thus far" part as well, but with the biggest movement days (Draft Day and First FA Day) now over and done with, thus far, I would say that MacTavish has done a piss poor job at improving this team.

Parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Arpeggio

He's going to need to do more.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Man, I am so pumped for the Barons! They are going to be a great team this year. Once MacT has that team squared away, BOOM, the "WOW" moves for the Oil will be next.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Signed a bunch of guys. Still have the rest of free agency to sign players. Let's hope they're the right players!

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
GMofOilers

Sounds like he has a lot to learn, and this job is not as easy as he thought it was going to be.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Everyone still can act like this is NHL 13, where if you try and sign a guy, he just signs with you.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parch View Post
-Replaced Khabby with Labarbara. meh.
-Replaced Horcoff with Gordon. OK, I'll buy that this is an improvement, maybe.
-Replaced Whitney with Ference. Yay! A legit improvement.
-The rest of the pickups might not even make the team.

Is this "improvement" good enough? Don't plan the parade.

I'm perfectly willing to cling onto the "thus far" part as well, but with the biggest movement days (Draft Day and First FA Day) now over and done with, thus far, I would say that MacTavish has done a piss poor job at improving this team.
There are a lot of spots to fill and not a lot of talent available. Major blockbusters have come and gone. If he doesn't swing a major trade, say with Philly, we are in trouble. I am happy enough so far but something more substantial is obviously needed.

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:40 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

By the sounds of MacTs interview we were pretty certain we were getting Clarkson going into today.

If we ended the day with Clarkson signed the make-up of the team would look a lot better. Regardless of whether we dodged a bullet there or not, that's a big hole that we now need to move on to plan B to fill.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:41 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
There are a lot of spots to fill and not a lot of talent available. Major blockbusters have come and gone. If he doesn't swing a major trade, say with Philly, we are in trouble. I am happy enough so far but something more substantial is obviously needed.
How major?

Do you mean swing something for Coburn or are we talking Couturier?

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Verdadero
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Seven years and counting without even one solitary playoff appearance is more than any fan should have to bear, without significant change, and that means cleaning house, top to bottom. Its time for real change. Not picking out a scapegoat at the end of the year and sacrificing him on the Gretzky statue and pretending that's good enough.

In the end we get what we deserve. If we keep buying what these guys are selling then we arent going to see real change. Im not buying what they are selling.

Realistically that housecleaning should have taken place when Katz bought the team, but instead the inbreeding and nepotism only got worse. Shame because the Oilers now look like the Harrold Ballard Leafs and will probably have the same kind of success.

Today was typical with an overpay on term and/or dollars for an aging player (Ference) and 4th liner (Gordon) as the major success talking points. The bloom will come off the rose for those contracts awfully fast when Gordon doesn't score for a month and Ference fades to useless in a year or two. Add on hiring a family member (Acton) and the day is complete. The rest of the signings are pretty much irrelevant.

Mactavish was part of the mgmt team last summer and the results are not much different. High end UFA still do not want to sign in Edmonton even for overpays (Clarkson) but people always fail to lay the blame on Oiler management which is widely seen as one of the worst in the NHL. UFA know all about Lowe and Co and want nothing to do with those guys. Oilers need to upgrade the character of the team that's for sure, but the place they need to start is in the management offices. Until then they will be running in place which sucks because that means lottery again next year.

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
How major?

Do you mean swing something for Coburn or are we talking Couturier?
Both. Exactly who I was thinking.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

I like that he has not done anything too "bold". Our top 6 is quite fine and by the looks of it, he is improving our bottom 6.

Now if he will make even one real upgrade on our top6/def, things will be looking really good.

Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
By the sounds of MacTs interview we were pretty certain we were getting Clarkson going into today.

If we ended the day with Clarkson signed the make-up of the team would look a lot better. Regardless of whether we dodged a bullet there or not, that's a big hole that we now need to move on to plan B to fill.
From TSN it sounds like we may have offered more for Clarkson than the leafs.

Edit: dodged a bullet for sure

Old
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
aleshemsky83

And MacT offered Clarkson more than Toronto did? Wow, I was wondering if I should put that in all caps but I didn't want to seem like a donkey, that's just crazy though.

Is this guy a loon or what?

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Sheikyerbouti

So far it seems the two things MacT wanted the most, Schneider and Clarkson, were beyond stupid.

After the draft and FA I think it's becoming fair to assess what he's done and I think it's going to take a really nice trade to balance this roster and will probably be at the expense of youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IATL
Seven years and counting without even one solitary playoff appearance is more than any fan should have to bear, without significant change, and that means cleaning house, top to bottom. Its time for real change. Not picking out a scapegoat at the end of the year and sacrificing him on the Gretzky statue and pretending that's good enough.

In the end we get what we deserve. If we keep buying what these guys are selling then we arent going to see real change. Im not buying what they are selling.
That pretty much sums it up, as a fanbase we have to quit swallowing it eventually.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Brewster

As of now he hasn't done enough. It's a solid start, but he needs to grab at least one (preferably two) more quality bottom six guy and another top 6 winger. IMO he should have overpaid for Nystrom, but that ship has sailed and the best guy available at this point has to be Cleary.

However, I'll reserve judgement until the beginning of the season.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

I think that MacTavish has done a good job with the UFAs. He hasn't acquired any big fish, but I think that the big fish usually cost too much. I'm sure he's going to work out some deals. Trades will be made once free agency is played out. Teams will have to relieve cap space. That's the time to add to the roster. He's improved the team today, without subtracting from the roster, which I like.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Verdadero
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
So far it seems the two things MacT wanted the most, Schneider and Clarkson, were beyond stupid.
Whale hunting.........they never change

Owner may not let Mr 6 Rings out in public much any more but he is still calling the shots from behind the curtain. Mactavish is no more in control than Tambellini but gives better PC.

So far Joe Fan has swallowed the fantasy that Mactavish represents change and some unknown factor is stopping UFA from signing here. It's not weather or distance or the city - it's primarily how poorly Oiler management is thought of by players and agents. Character players with options simply don't want to be associated with those guys. So that leaves the old, lame and greedy seeking an overpay (describes 90% of Oiler UFA signings the past decade).

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Pointteen

Larsen and Belov in
Peckham out

At the base level that's 2 in and 1 out so there is more competition.

Now there's no Horcoff, which means this is now Hall's team.

Boyd Gordon, who lots of teams were interested in. Ference who solidifies the team's defense and adds veteran leadership. A player who was important on a winning team.

Plus other depth forwards. At the least this will drive internal competition. It will keep players on their toes and busting their *****.

Couple that with Eakins being a fitness freak and having no attachment to our veteran players.

MacTavish is doing well so far. He held on tight and now we have Darnell Nurse and a ton of other interesting prospects. I just hope he can handle trades well.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Its been years but you can't still tell the difference between player and contract.

3rd line player. 1st line contract. Getting rid of the contract means cap space. Getting rid of the player means we need to replace him.

Does Toronto waiving Grabovski means Grabovski is a bad player?

Does Tampa Bay buying out Lecavalier mean he's washed up and a terrible player?
Makes wayyyy too much sense for this board. Hmmmm?

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote