HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NBCSports Special on Derek Sanderson

Old
06-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

vCash: 500
Awards:
NBCSports Special on Derek Sanderson

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/wat...rek-sanderson/

This was a helluva time to be a Bruins fan.

He was an unreal character.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Awesome. Thanks for posting that Wally. Be sure to watch it. One of my favorites, just an excellent defensive forward. Damn shame he burned it both ends & in the middle but... boys will be boys. Guess he bought into the better to burn out than fade away Neil Young meme huh?. Nice recovery though post hockey career. Orr instrumental in lending a hand up and out of the ditch. Met him a few times. Hip replacements. Seemed very odd, incongruous in comparison to his Hell Bent for Leather Kamikaze No Fear playing style, seeing him sort of awkwardly ambulate around as is the case with people who undergo that.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Doctor No
HFB Partner

vCash: 50
I ended up catching it last night, and it's really well done.

06-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ Awesome. Thanks for posting that Wally. Be sure to watch it. One of my favorites, just an excellent defensive forward. Damn shame he burned it both ends & in the middle but... boys will be boys. Guess he bought into the better to burn out than fade away Neil Young meme huh?. Nice recovery though post hockey career. Orr instrumental in lending a hand up and out of the ditch. Met him a few times. Hip replacements. Seemed very odd, incongruous in comparison to his Hell Bent for Leather Kamikaze No Fear playing style, seeing him sort of awkwardly ambulate around as is the case with people who undergo that.
Its amazing. I've had the luck to 'see' him in and around town the whole time. I was at that 1970 parade (72 too) and they were bigger than the Beatles. As a young teen we all wanted to be Orr on the ice and Turk off the ice. Ahh...............to be young and stupid.

But I met him at Daisys when a friend got me in. Legal age was 18 back then. You never knew who was going to be in there. As a matter of fact singer Jimmy Buffet used to hang there with Derek when he was in town. They'd get hammered together and inspired him to write 'Boat Drinks'

Twenty degrees and the hockey games on
Nobody cares; they are way too far gone
Screamin' "Boat drinks," somethin'
To keep them all warm
This morning I shot six holes in my freezer
I think I got cabin fever

Then I got to meet Derek a few times later in life after Orr helped him gain sobriety. The documentary really portrays the transformation. When he does public speaking its powerful. Not about preaching or holier than thou and not I know it all either. He simply and clearly talks about life's journeys and how choices one makes leads to different things. That sounds so simplistic but to this day he still shows up and gets the attention of not only school kids but rookies in all the major sports teams here in Boston. Quite a legacy.

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Fenway

vCash: 525
I could write a book about Daisy's.

Thank goodness social media didn't exist then

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I could write a book about Daisy's.
.... this be the place: http://www.boston.com/sports/other/2...6jK/story.html

Old
06-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Wrigley
Texas Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I could write a book about Daisy's. Thank goodness social media didn't exist then
I dvred the special. Yeah, no internet or video cameras everywhere, 18 drinking age, and no HIV when we were in college. Our generation was really the last free people.

She's my sweet little thang, She's my pride and joy, She's my sweet little baby, I'm her little lover boy
Wrigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2015, 06:36 PM
skeena1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
The Lyndon Byers clip is awesome.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2015, 08:10 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/wat...rek-sanderson/

This was a helluva time to be a Bruins fan.

He was an unreal character.
cool I can watch it here in England

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Ando
Keyboard Warrior

Very good program on Derek. That was probably a hell of a time to be a Bruins fan.

Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Finally watched this. Very well done. Thanks again for drawing our attention to it including the link.

Old
06-16-2015, 10:13 PM
phxroadrunner

I remember as kid I saw him on the Today Show shortly after signing with the WHA. He sat down for an awkward and tense interview with Joe Garagiola, wearing the customary mod suit from that era and taking drags from his cigarette. Joe, who's always been an anti-tobacco crusader, scolded Derek for smoking and after an uncomfortable exchange about the evils of smoking, he in effect said, "Fine! OK! I Quit!" and angrily put out his cig. Joe, reflecting on his MLB earnings, probably had a hard time accepting this 3rd line center becoming the highest paid athlete in sports, which could have contributed to the tension between the two.
The best part of the show for me was seeing the rare footage of him in action with the Blazers. Those burnt orange and gold uniforms, especially the orange pants, are still my favorites of all time.

phxroadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote