HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Impact on Crosby's legacy

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2014, 05:34 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 500
Impact on Crosby's legacy

I'm curious how you guys would see the impact on Crosby's (and possible Malkin's) legacy if for exemple they were both beaten by say a Tyler Seguin type of player in the scoring race this year with no serious injuries to speak of.Let's assume Seguin doesn't become a massively dominant player in the next years, racking up awards and so on.It could be another player than Seguin , like say Giroux or Voracek.

Crosby is sitting at 27 years old, which if I recall correctly has been shown to be the peak of a hockey player in general.Malkin is 28 years old.

Am I foolish to think this actually hurts their legacy quite a bit, especially in Crosby's case (since Malkin did have "bad" seasons before)? Obviously here I'm talking about the conversations we might have in 15 years when we compare Crosby to other greats and so on.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 12-28-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old
12-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I'm curious how you guys would see the impact on Crosby's (and possible Malkin's) legacy if for exemple they were both beaten by say a Tyler Seguin type of player in the scoring race this year with no serious injuries to speak of.Let's assume Seguin doesn't become a massively dominant player in the next years, racking up awards and so on.It could be another player than Seguin , like say Giroux or Voracek.

Crosby is sitting at 27 years old, which if I recall correctly has been shown to be the peak of a hockey player in general.Malkin is 28 years old.

Am I foolish to think this actually hurts their legacy quite a bit, especially in Crosby's case (Malkin has had "bad" seasons before)? Obviously here I'm talking about the conversations we might have in 15 years when we compare Crosby to other greats and so on.

What are your thoughts on this?
I would call that an anomaly until Seguin was consistently doing it.

Old
12-28-2014, 05:44 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I would call that an anomaly until Seguin was consistently doing it.
My point is not about Seguin though.

This has already happened with Sedin beating both Ovechkin and Crosby.Is this an era's phenomenon , or just a testament that today's top players are not as strong as those in other eras, and by that I'm really aiming at Jagr and Lafleur moreso than Lemieux or Gretzky.

Old
12-28-2014, 05:50 PM
MS

Quote:

This has already happened with Sedin beating both Ovechkin and Crosby.Is this an era's phenomenon , or just a testament that today's top players are not as strong as those in other eras, and by that I'm really aiming at Jagr and Lafleur moreso than Lemieux or Gretzky.
Lemieux and Gretzky are the only two guys ever who were pretty much guaranteed to win scoring titles (or finish 2nd to the other guy) if healthy.

Howe and Beliveau once finished behind Bronco Horvath in scoring. Didn't hurt their legacy.

Old
12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:

Well I think Cheechoo's grow like bean sprouts every year before December and that happens every year..

I don't think any guy challenging Crosby would damper his legacy unless it was on a consistent basis.

Legacy is certainly consistency - so what if a guy beats him in scoring one year and the next is obscure?

One dude that has always been consistent is Joe Thronton - a player we never talk about....

Old
12-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

This isn't really relevant to the History forum.

Closed Thread