HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Impact on Crosby's legacy

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2014, 05:34 PM
  #1
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Impact on Crosby's legacy

I'm curious how you guys would see the impact on Crosby's (and possible Malkin's) legacy if for exemple they were both beaten by say a Tyler Seguin type of player in the scoring race this year with no serious injuries to speak of.Let's assume Seguin doesn't become a massively dominant player in the next years, racking up awards and so on.It could be another player than Seguin , like say Giroux or Voracek.

Crosby is sitting at 27 years old, which if I recall correctly has been shown to be the peak of a hockey player in general.Malkin is 28 years old.

Am I foolish to think this actually hurts their legacy quite a bit, especially in Crosby's case (since Malkin did have "bad" seasons before)? Obviously here I'm talking about the conversations we might have in 15 years when we compare Crosby to other greats and so on.

What are your thoughts on this?


Last edited by BenchBrawl: 12-28-2014 at 05:39 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
12-28-2014, 05:38 PM
  #2
Hawksfan2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 8,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I'm curious how you guys would see the impact on Crosby's (and possible Malkin's) legacy if for exemple they were both beaten by say a Tyler Seguin type of player in the scoring race this year with no serious injuries to speak of.Let's assume Seguin doesn't become a massively dominant player in the next years, racking up awards and so on.It could be another player than Seguin , like say Giroux or Voracek.

Crosby is sitting at 27 years old, which if I recall correctly has been shown to be the peak of a hockey player in general.Malkin is 28 years old.

Am I foolish to think this actually hurts their legacy quite a bit, especially in Crosby's case (Malkin has had "bad" seasons before)? Obviously here I'm talking about the conversations we might have in 15 years when we compare Crosby to other greats and so on.

What are your thoughts on this?
I would call that an anomaly until Seguin was consistently doing it.

Hawksfan2828 is offline  
Old
12-28-2014, 05:44 PM
  #3
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I would call that an anomaly until Seguin was consistently doing it.
My point is not about Seguin though.

This has already happened with Sedin beating both Ovechkin and Crosby.Is this an era's phenomenon , or just a testament that today's top players are not as strong as those in other eras, and by that I'm really aiming at Jagr and Lafleur moreso than Lemieux or Gretzky.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
12-28-2014, 05:50 PM
  #4
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
My point is not about Seguin though.

This has already happened with Sedin beating both Ovechkin and Crosby.Is this an era's phenomenon , or just a testament that today's top players are not as strong as those in other eras, and by that I'm really aiming at Jagr and Lafleur moreso than Lemieux or Gretzky.
Lemieux and Gretzky are the only two guys ever who were pretty much guaranteed to win scoring titles (or finish 2nd to the other guy) if healthy.

Howe and Beliveau once finished behind Bronco Horvath in scoring. Didn't hurt their legacy.

MS is offline  
Old
12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
  #5
Hawksfan2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 8,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
My point is not about Seguin though.

This has already happened with Sedin beating both Ovechkin and Crosby.Is this an era's phenomenon , or just a testament that today's top players are not as strong as those in other eras, and by that I'm really aiming at Jagr and Lafleur moreso than Lemieux or Gretzky.
Well I think Cheechoo's grow like bean sprouts every year before December and that happens every year..

I don't think any guy challenging Crosby would damper his legacy unless it was on a consistent basis.

Legacy is certainly consistency - so what if a guy beats him in scoring one year and the next is obscure?

One dude that has always been consistent is Joe Thronton - a player we never talk about....

Hawksfan2828 is offline  
Old
12-28-2014, 06:06 PM
  #6
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 25,180
vCash: 500
This isn't really relevant to the History forum.

Doctor No is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.