HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Value of Jovo

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2005, 03:51 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
If we're dealing Jovo, I'd offer him to any team in the East that could give us the best player/pkg of youth/future prospects... the obvious teams to target here are Florida, Philly, Boston, possible NYI, depending on their situation in replacing the 3 possibly outgoing dmen...

Jovo also couldn't really be dealt until FA is over - or the top dmen are already signed... until then, no team is going to want to give up any decent value - even in terms of futures - if they feel they can address their need on defense through FA.

).
on June 26,2005 Jovo turns 29 yrs old.

I'd want to know what the ufa age will be under the new cba.If it's lowered to 30,then the team aquiring Jovo has his rights for 1 yr.

The only Wang would ok giving up cheap youngsters would be if the isles had an extension in place before a trade was agreed upon.He nixed Carney and Witt trades because they were short term fixes.

Old
06-08-2005, 03:53 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
on June 26,2005 Jovo turns 29 yrs old.

I'd want to know what the ufa age will be under the new cba.If it's lowered to 30,then the team aquiring Jovo has his rights for 1 yr.

The only Wang would ok giving up cheap youngsters would be if the isles had an extension in place before a trade was agreed upon.He nixed Carney and Witt trades because they were short term fixes.
Jovo is signed for the next 2 yrs as well, so UFA age isn't really a factor.

Come to think about it, I don't know if the Isles would be a good target... they don't really have a lot of youngsters that they could move for Jovo, and with Yashin's salary, and Peca's in place, it might be better for them to find cheaper replacements for their 3 outgoing guys than a $5mill Jovo.

Old
06-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
As for his value, I don't think his value is all that high right now considering the CBA market... but if the canucks move him there's really only ONE reason to move him - a salary dump. And in that case they can't expect much in return, and the deal would be made more so to get him as far away from Vancouver as possible. As PG said, the only reason that it makes sense to move him is if the canucks get Niedermayer on defense, making it necessary to move Jovo's contract (while not able to cut payroll elsewhere).
I don't think you will see the Canucks sign Neids just so they have to trade Jovo as a salary dump. I think you would see the the Canucks do a little constructive rostering instead. Actually I think you will a few teams caught in a salary cap squeeze do similar changes.

There is no reason, other than it is allowed & no problem without a salary cap for any NHL team to carry a 23 man roster or have 4 forward lines. Rather than dump Jovo if Neids is signed, I could see the Canucks shorten their roster to fit the cap.
Not re-signing Malik $1.55 mil, May $0.9 mil, Ruutu $0.6 mil and keeping Kesler $0.8 mil down on the farm frees up almost $4 million alone while leaving open roster spots that allows minors to be brought up to cover for injury.

Old
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Mr Sakich

jovo signed a 3 year extension on Jan 25, 2003. Assuming the extension kicked in at the end of that season, then the 03/04 is the first year, the 04/05 season is the 2nd (assumming the reports about it counting are correct), and the 05/06 would be the last year. He would then be 30 years old and a potentail UFA.

Basically, the value of Jovo is a 1 year rental unless a team can convince him to sign long term.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Shareefruck

I actually think Jovo's starting to get underrated around the board ( especially after the world championships ). He SHOULD be worth quite a bit of return, but right now, you're not getting proper value for him. If you did, I would seriously consider trading him if we were getting Niedermeiyers ( waaayy too much salary if you keep them both. Niedermeiyer is more for less ). I'd probably trade Sopel instead. He'll get decent value and IMO, shouldn't be making 2 mill yet..

I'd also like to keep Salo.

Old
06-09-2005, 12:19 AM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

To Atlanta:
Ed Jovanovski

To Vancouver:
Garnet Exelby + 3rd rounder

Old
06-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule
To Atlanta:
Ed Jovanovski

To Vancouver:
Garnet Exelby + 3rd rounder
Not enough for Vancouver to pull the trigger.

Closed Thread