HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Sign Fredric St-Denis

Old
07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

vCash: 500
CBJ Sign Fredric St-Denis

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 1m

NEWS: #CBJ have signed defenseman Frederic St. Denis to a one-year contract

CBJWennberg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 3m
#CBJ have also added free agent defenseman Frederic St. Denis on a two-way deal, formerly of the Hamilton Bulldogs (MTL).

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

I think he could surprise and find himself as a 6th/7th defenseman
Solid pickup by CBJ

Marc BargainBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

good to hear...i fully believe in Murray starting in springy so anyone that can play up here is welcomed

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Stive Morgan
What?! No way!

vCash: 631
You're gonna like this guy. We loved him in Montreal but he never really had a spot for our organization. Solid pickup.

Stive Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:05 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

This is the kind of pickup our past GM's never

would have made. I like this Jarmo guy, lets play some hockey!

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
would have made. I like this Jarmo guy, lets play some hockey!

Alexandre Giroux a few years ago is a pretty good comparable to this.

CBJWennberg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

Alexandre Giroux a few years ago is a pretty good comparable to this.
There are a handful of good examples to counter that post.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

He's a depth signing, let's not read too much into this ... my gut says it's just to allow some of the guys in Springfield to further develop their game in more sheltered minutes.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Kurtis5939

I really like what JK is doing... He is really getting us some depth.

Kurtis5939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Really?

Pointed towards DSL's comment about many examples of potential NHL quality dmen signed to two way contracts: I think you may have thinking about forwards, but puck moving defenders are pretty frickin scarce in our system:

I can think of Hainsey claimed off waivers who also came from the Hamilton Bulldogs and was also a puck moving defenseman, and Holden that was a defenseman but he and Ruth were acquired via trade.

Drafted Russell, Goloubef, Savard, Prout, traded Russell for Nikitin (drafted Methot & Aaron Johnson too but I wouldn't consider either of those guys puck movers)

Am I missing some (FA) puck moving defensemen that were signed to two way contracts?

I know MacLean didn't get any, and if Howson did I'm not remembering.

Sure Dougie signed Richardson, LaChance, Sydor & Foote out of free agency.. but I was really only considering the depth guys that given the chance might just make someone else expendable. Quint? Aucoin? they were one way contracts, Stralman was gotten for a 3rd round pick

Maybe the Cuse or Springfield fans could give me some examples, but I'm not remembering us getting too many Fredrick St-Denis like players. Dude is 27, his time is now. Jarmo also signed Patrick O'Neill & Ilari Milart, so he is rebuilding the whole organization

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 07-08-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old
07-07-2013, 09:08 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
He's a depth signing, let's not read too much into this ... my gut says it's just to allow some of the guys in Springfield to further develop their game in more sheltered minutes.
... and get them used to having the burden of expectations (of winning).

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
General Jacket70

Quote:
Pointed towards DSL's comment about many examples of potential NHL quality dmen signed to two way contracts: I think you may have thinking about forwards, but puck moving defenders are pretty frickin scarce in our system:

I can think of Hainsey claimed off waivers who also came from the Hamilton Bulldogs and was also a puck moving defenseman, and Holden that was a defenseman but he and Ruth were acquired via trade.

Drafted Russell, Goloubef, Savard, Prout, traded Russell for Nikitin (drafted Methot & Aaron Johnson too but I wouldn't consider either of those guys puck movers)

Am I missing some (FA) puck moving defensemen that were signed to two way contracts?

Sure Dougie signed Richardson, LaChance, Sydor & Foote out of free agency.. but I was really only considering the depth guys that given the chance might just make someone else expendable. Quint? Aucoin? they were one way contracts, Stralman was gotten for a 3rd round pick

Maybe the Cuse or Springfield fans could give me some examples, but I'm not remembering us getting too many Fredrick St-Denis like players. Dude is 27, his time is now. Jarmo also signed Patrick O'Neill & a finnish defender that I can't recall the name of, so he is rebuilding the whole organization
I think you're missing François Beauchemin, picked up by the GMDM on waivers from Montreal in 2004 and then the following year sent to Anaheim for . . . .oh I forget . . .eh, it wasn't that notable of a trade anyway. . . .

General Jacket70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:42 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Yes, because everyone reads too much into a two-way deal like this.

JK is a busy guy these days.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Maybe the Cuse or Springfield fans could give me some examples, but I'm not remembering us getting too many Fredrick St-Denis like players. Dude is 27, his time is now. Jarmo also signed Patrick O'Neill & a finnish defender that I can't recall the name of, so he is rebuilding the whole organization
Howson liked to do this via minor-league trades - for example, guys like Jonathan Sigalet, Mike Ratchuk, and Brendan Bell.

But FAs weren't exactly nonexistent. Examples: Nick Holden, Nate Guenin, Matthieu Roy.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:52 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Like I said in another post, he is stocking Springfield with serviceable guys that can fill the roll in Columbus of holding down the fort when they are needed due to injuries.

Good idea in my book.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:37 AM
jore

Another body to AHL. Move along.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:56 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

General is right Francois Beauchemin, ding ding ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Howson liked to do this via minor-league trades - for example, guys like Jonathan Sigalet, Mike Ratchuk, and Brendan Bell.

But FAs weren't exactly nonexistent. Examples: Nick Holden, Nate Guenin, Matthieu Roy.
a seasoned puck moving defenseman - we gave Frankie a cup of coffee before sending him off not realizing how good he was.

Thanks Viqsi (Holden was an undrafted free agent), Guenin & Roy those guys work too.

So in ten years there have been four: Jarmo signs three puckmoving dmen in one off season. As mentioned in my earlier post, I like this Jarmo guy.

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 07-08-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

This looks like a good depth signing. Has a lot of experience in the AHL and could be a fill in for injuries. CBJ is still looking for a 7th on the big club too. Between Goloubef, Savard, St. Denis, Milart, Murray and I'm sure I'm missing someone, that's pretty decent options for call ups and a 7/8 on the big club. Keep in mind, Prout only has a partial NHL season under his belt so there could be some regression.

My only concern with the number of two way, experienced guys is that several will have to clear waivers once cut from camp.

Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
a seasoned puck moving defenseman - we gave Frankie a cup of coffee before sending him off not realizing how good he was.

Thanks Viqsi (Holden was an undrafted free agent), Guenin & Roy those guys work too.

So in ten years there have been four: Jarmo signs three puckmoving dmen in one off season. As mentioned in my earlier post, I like this Jarmo guy.
There's been much more than four. Those are just the names that first came to mind, and those only because they're the ones that managed to be on the NHL roster for brief periods. If you want me to do actual research, I'm quite certain I could find more.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

You're forgetting something. When Howson arrived, the entire system was rife with puck-moving defensemen whose ability to cover in their own zone was notably deficient. So his signings of FA defensemen wasn't going to be of offensively-inclined guys, but of defensive ones. His first week in free agency brought Sheldon Brookbank and Jan Hejda into the fold.

With MacLean, the idea was just to get guys who could play into the system. For whatever reason, he gravitated toward offensive defensemen even though the conditions of the game weren't good for it. But to say that there were "four in 10 years" is woefully inaccurate. Hell, does no one remember the five-year callup cycle of Derrick Walser? How about claiming Andy Delmore off waivers? (Also known as "Any Elmore, because there's no D in Andy Delmore".)

This is off the top of my head. If I start researching this to any actual extent, it'll be a much different story.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Cyclones Rock

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23512

Good organizational depth signing. Played 17 games for a poor Montreal team of 2011-12, but was one of their best defencemen for a few of those games.

Solid, unspectacular, and smooth skating. Small and doesn't bring much to the physical side of things. Upside is as a 6/7 NHL defenceman.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Do the research..

if you go to HockeyDB and look at our history of defensemen we have not signed many free agent guys like Freddie St-Denis as two way puck moving defensemen. Hedja was a one way contract.. Walzer was traded for. Delmore? WhoTFIT? I like the way Jarmo is adding depth to all phases of the organization.

St-Denis has played for the Habs, he is a pretty talented 27 year old. The two other best examples of signing guys for free were Beauchemin and Hainsey, both signed off waivers from the Habs.

I wasn't saying we didn't have any defense/ though that point could probably be argued effectively - I just said we hadn't been able to scarf up very many quality defenders for free. That is what has set Jarmo apart in my mind, he is not missing any opportunities to make our organization better. O'Neill, St-Denis and Milart all in one free agency period. All puck movers, and Milart can play rough when needed.

In answer to that I get posters bringing up the names of forwards. PS WhoTFIT? is short form for "who the **** is that?"

Old
07-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
In answer to that I get posters bringing up the names of forwards. PS WhoTFIT? is short form for "who the **** is that?"
Except you didn't specifically qualify your original point. "This is the kind of move..." you said. That's it. Then later you qualified it, and we have no way of knowing you didn't change what you meant after the fact.

"I meant French-Canadian defensemen with a three-part name who used to be in the Montreal organization who were signed on a Sunday" you boneheads! Then you could have added the shakehead smilie for the full effect.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Hainsey is french?

I suppose I could have been more specific.. I am glad Jarmo has signed three dmen to two way contracts out of free agency.

I'm not sure how we rank vs other NHL clubs but over the past decade we haven't picked up many d men when candidly we needed all the help we could get.

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 07-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.