HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Canucks qualify Weise, Tanev, Schroeder, Lain, Sweatt, Archibald, Rodin, and Sauve

Old
07-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Doobie Dubois

vCash: 500
Weise sucks.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Arbitration over what, 50K-100K maybe? There's no way a guy like Weise should be earning more than 1M.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:55 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
My first impression on that was he meant Weise is about to be humbled during the arbitration process.

/Weises' agent queues up highlight reel
/gatorade spilling .gif
/accepts minimum salary

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Pseudonymous*

1m? i have no problem with the guy but i dont want to see him being paid more than 750-800k .. AT THE VERY MOST!

I think hes worth about 700k

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Wisp

Maybe his agent is thinking if they can stretch the arbitration money by just a hair the Canucks will be forced to walk away and leave him a free agent.

I dunno, he's a useful player but I don't like him and I don't think he cares much for his role here.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Orca Smash

I would let weise walk if we still can, but unless I am mistaken were stuck with him after the arbitration ruling?

I cant recall all the facts around arbitration.

A 4th line journeyman trying to stay in the nhl taking the club to arbitration in a cap crunch season, he may have burnt a bridge.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:19 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Maybe his agent is thinking if they can stretch the arbitration money by just a hair the Canucks will be forced to walk away and leave him a free agent.

I dunno, he's a useful player but I don't like him and I don't think he cares much for his role here.
Under the new rules the team can't walk away from anything under $3.5M a year. Given that, I can't imagine why any player in his situation wouldn't file for arbitration. Once the Canucks gave him a qualifying offer there was nothing they could do. They can either come to terms with him prior to arbitration or they have to live with what he's awarded.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Tiranis

What's the big deal? He's using the tools at his disposal to get what he considers fair for his client. Same way I don't hold it against the Canucks when they take players to arbitration.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:26 PM
arsmaster*

vCash:
What do people expect out of a 4th liner.

Most dzone starts in the league and still drove play the other way.

Has talent (scored 28 AHL goals....we've verbally felated our prospects for less), plays hard, can play PK, has speed, consistently physical, fights outside his weight class etc etc

Walk away?

Arbitration is the only leverage a player has...my guess is he's looking for a multi year deal.

Give him 3 years at $800k....I expect him to continue developing.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Derp Kassian

Weise sucks on the PK and is nowhere near consistently physical.. has some decent speed and gets his ass kicked for the team though.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Doobie Dubois

Let him walk.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Weise sucks on the PK and is nowhere near consistently physical.. has some decent speed and gets his ass kicked for the team though.
What do you have to back this up? He was up there in hits this season and his PK stats are better than a lot of our other players. Small sample size, of course, but there's nothing to back up that he sucks on the PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Let him walk.
Yes, let one of the better 4th liners we've had in the past 10 years walk for no good reason. The expectations for the 4th line around here are ridiculous.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:39 PM
arsmaster*

vCash:
Shows you people just like flash and not substance.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Weise is a good bottom 6 player, I don't know why this arbitration thing has gotten so many people riled up. You would do the same thing if you had the chance to.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I would let weise walk if we still can, but unless I am mistaken were stuck with him after the arbitration ruling?

I cant recall all the facts around arbitration.

A 4th line journeyman trying to stay in the nhl taking the club to arbitration in a cap crunch season, he may have burnt a bridge.
I think the team is trying to set an example with Dale. He is replaceable, yet is valuable to this team. They need their fringe 4th liners on good salaries. They can't afford to tie up more than 2.75 million on the 4th line in this day and age.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:42 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

Isn't it usually a good sign when a player files for arbitration? It means he wants to get a deal done with his current team, how is that a bad thing? Few of these ever make it to a hearing anyway, it's just used as a catalyst to get a deal done.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Shows you people just like flash and not substance.
Flash? You think thats what people in here are looking for on their 4th line. Hes good. I think most people are fine with him being there, but at much of an increase of salary, hes suddenly not worth it, it doesnt' take much of an increase for a player on the 4th line to not make sense.

There are alot of people in the league to fill that type of role. If you can save 200k, you do it.

Anyway this is all pointless because i doubt he'll receive much more and he's decent and the canucks cannot walk away.

Was just sayin'

One problem i do have with him is that he could hit a little more, i think the fact that he has decent hands outside the nhl that he might be able to bring more offense and that keeps him away from focusing on what he needs to do to provide the best shift possible.

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Fictional Realism
What is going on?

It can't be anywhere near $1 million ... I mean look at the UFA market for depth wingers ... there isn't one. If Weise was on the open market he'd be signing for even less then he is as a RFA most likely ... or be looking at a ton of two-way contracts. I like Weise as a player, but let's be honest ... nobody would be clamoring to get this guy ... well maybe for their AHL team.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Tiranis

If the Canucks are offering $700k and he wants $750, it's worth going to arbitration for that. That $50k makes a big difference to a player like Weise.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Spectrefire

They probably tried offering him less money Sestito. In which case, I can understand why he'd be offended.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Jack Tripper
Vey Falls Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If the Canucks are offering $700k and he wants $750, it's worth going to arbitration for that. That $50k makes a big difference to a player like Weise.
absolutely...if i was a player i'd exercise every tool at my disposal under the cba

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What do you have to back this up? He was up there in hits this season and his PK stats are better than a lot of our other players. Small sample size, of course, but there's nothing to back up that he sucks on the PK.
Yeah my eyes, those PK"s with Raymond and Weise were laughable. Not to say he can't improve under Torts but to suggest that he's some steal bot6er just because he's young and scored in the A is wrong.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Yeah my eyes, those PK"s with Raymond and Weise were laughable. Not to say he can't improve under Torts but to suggest that he's some steal bot6er just because he's young and scored in the A is wrong.
why does he need to be a steal? he needs to be better than his replacement at a salary that doesnt hurt the team

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What do people expect out of a 4th liner.

Most dzone starts in the league and still drove play the other way.

Has talent (scored 28 AHL goals....we've verbally felated our prospects for less), plays hard, can play PK, has speed, consistently physical, fights outside his weight class etc etc

Walk away?

Arbitration is the only leverage a player has...my guess is he's looking for a multi year deal.

Give him 3 years at $800k....I expect him to continue developing.
Yup.

Guy is an excellent 4th line player and still improving. The comments here about him are a joke.

No reason for him not to use the leverage he has to get the best deal possible for himself.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

are there any better replacements for Weise under 900K?

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote