HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan Miller (Sabres) <---> (Canucks) Roberto Luongo - TRADE = "Solve the issue"

Old
07-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Are you guys so beaten down and upset about this situation that we are just resorting to delusions? Get it together Nuck fans.
Uh, bro? From 2006/7-2012 Miller has only beaten Luongo statistically once. Twice if we count this year where Lu was essentially a backup. Miller still had a worse SV%, which is saying something since Lu got shelled a few times.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:12 PM
YouCantYandleThis*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Are you guys so beaten down and upset about this situation that we are just resorting to delusions? Get it together Nuck fans.
Besides one outlying season where he won the Vezina (thanks Lindy!) Ryan Miller has been statistically outplayed by Luongo virtually every season.

Miller has NOT been good lately.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
VanNucks

Quote:
I will admit that, despite what I posted, I'd take Miller over Loungo in a heartbeat because of the contract - so implying that I'd rather have Luongo all things considered might be a bit delusional...but I still think that he's a better goalie and gives the team a better chance to win the next few years.

There really isn't that much between them...but Luongo's reputation has been skewed based on a few high profile blowups against Chicago and one against Boston. People seem to forget the game 7 win's, the OT wins, the Olympics, the years of consistency...

Loungo has came closer to winning a cup than Miller and (probably?) won more game 7's and playoff overtimes too.

Either way, the whole conversation is pointless because this trade idea is more delusional than any opinions on Luongo or Miller. Never gonna happen.

VanNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Ho Borvat

In all honest (I know his value is low to other teams) but I take having a guaranteed Luongo for the next 5 years over 1 year of any goalie.

I would much rather have the guarantee of Luongo in net for me for the next 5 years than go through what teams like Philly/Edmonton/Tampa Bay/NYI* have gone through the last few years goaltending-wise.

*Not try to offend any fanbases, just saying I take comfort in knowing we won't have to worry about acquiring a quality starting goaltender for the foreseeable future.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Elum

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Besides one outlying season where he won the Vezina (thanks Lindy!) Ryan Miller has been statistically outplayed by Luongo virtually every season.

Miller has NOT been good lately.
This kind of stuff really does amuse me. It's obvious you don't watch the Sabres with that last comment.

Miller was playing behind the worst defensive team this year, obviously his numbers aren't going to be great. If he wasn't playing behind a team that didn't know what defense was for most of the year, his numbers would easily have been in the top 10 this year.

Last year in which he suffered a concussion early in the season, his GAA was under 2.00 in his last 30 games.

Elum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:28 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
They've actually split who's had a better save % over the last 4 years, each being better twice. Miller was clearly more significant this year, facing by far the most shots in the league and putting up very good numbers behind the worst possession team in the league. You are being dishonest if you actually think Luongo is a clearly superior goalie. They are pretty well equals, and anybody who isn't being a homer can see that.

Here are the last 5 year's save %s for each goalie.

.920. .918
.913. .929
.928. .916
.919. .916
.907. .915

One seems to have slightly higher highs, but also has the lowest lows. You are trying too hard if you think one is better than the other.

Last edited by stokes84: 07-02-2013 at 01:42 PM.
stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Kershaw

Luongo >>> Miller player wise

But

Miller's contract >>>>> Luongo's contract

Therfore

Miller > Luongo value wise

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
sensfan44
peacetowersens

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaney View Post
The "issue" is solved. It got solved when Schneider got traded.
Tell that to Lu....who has still yet only responded with one comment that pretty much says "Im pissed, and still cant get out of Vancouver"

sensfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
BowieSabresFan

I would like to apologize for any issues I created by possibly suggesting that Miller was the equal of Luongo talent-wise.

I will now drown myself in pints of Guinness and/or really good single malt.

p.s. This deal is not worth it for either side.

BowieSabresFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Luongo has the worst contract in the league which makes his value nil. Nothing. He'll being an ineffective player five years before contract is up. That's the bottom line. Basically, Hedberg or any backup is worth more than him because he ain't worth anything. If they waived him, I doubt he'd get claimed. He's a good goalie but...contract. He said it himself.
Gillis should be fired for not buying him out. He's protecting he's own butt because he knows the guy would have been good elsewhere but he's hamstrung his team forever.
In what world would the Sabres want this?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:10 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Makes no sense for Buffalo. They're going to be not very good and that's why they're dumping an aging, expensive Miller who likely won't resign. Getting back essentially a more expensive version of him defeats the purpose of making the trade to begin with.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Buffalo already has one potential cap recapture situation with Ehrhoff, they won't be adding a 2nd with Luongo.
r.
How so? $4 million cap hit. Front loaded. Way younger than Luongo at end. Let me ask you this could Ehrhoff get eight years now at $4 million cap hit per year if he were a UFA.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:24 PM
stuffradio

vCash: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Any chances of seeing a trade involving Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo?

Would it be a straight up trade, or would someone had to add?

Would it solve the "issue" for both teams?
Why would we want Ryan Miller? Luongo is better than him.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
CrazyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Luongo has the worst contract in the league which makes his value nil. Nothing. He'll being an ineffective player five years before contract is up. That's the bottom line. Basically, Hedberg or any backup is worth more than him because he ain't worth anything. If they waived him, I doubt he'd get claimed. He's a good goalie but...contract. He said it himself.
Gillis should be fired for not buying him out. He's protecting he's own butt because he knows the guy would have been good elsewhere but he's hamstrung his team forever.
In what world would the Sabres want this?
I don't think Gillis has $27,000,000 to buy him out, and his boss said he wasn't going to do it....

He also has a lot of value to Vancouver, just not to other teams. There is no reason to think he won't show up at training camp with a smile on his face and play his heart out next year, and there are 35,000,000 reasons why he will

I don't know why this is a thread other than that we have been talking about Luongo for so long we don't know how to not talk about him

Note: edited to add the zeros, I don't think people quite grasp how much money is being talked about without them...

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
Alright, let's compare Luongo and Miller's difference in team:
Miller in the Olympics had a defense wich consisted of:
Gleason,Rafalski,Orpik,Suter,JJ,EJ,Whitney.
VS
Doughty,Pronger,Weber,Niedermayer,Boyle,Keith,Seab rook.

now let's look at the teams Defenses in both's most successful season
Miller's Defense:
Myers,Montador,Butler,Lydman,Tallinder,Rivet,Seker a,Paetsch
Luongo's:
Ballard,Bieksa,Haamhuis,Erhoff,Edler,Alberts,Salo, Rome,Oreskovich

Luongo's best year in terms of achievement was 2010, Olympic gold plus a Stanley cup final appearance, is hard to top.
As for Miller, he carried USA to the final with outstanding play, won the Vezina and Olympic Silver.

Luongo's all time stats:
747/348-289-33=.465

Miller's all time stats
500/269-164-1=.538
Miller has a better win percentage, as for GAA+SV%:
Miller:
GAA:2.59
SV%:.915
Luongo:
GAA:2.52
SV%:.919

Although Luongo wins the last category, I think it's safe to say Miller>Luongo.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
I don't think Gillis has $27,000,000 to buy him out, and his boss said he wasn't going to do it....

He also has a lot of value to Vancouver, just not to other teams. There is no reason to think he won't show up at training camp with a smile on his face and play his heart out next year, and there are 35,000,000 reasons why he will

I don't know why this is a thread other than that we have been talking about Luongo for so long we don't know how to not talk about him

Note: edited to add the zeros, I don't think people quite grasp how much money is being talked about without them...
I think we grasp it. I don't think Vancouver grasps how it will impair this franchise one day. Plus, if Vancouver is profitable it will lower tax owed, so hit isn't as high you think.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
VS

Miller's Defense:
Luongo's:

Luongo's best year in terms of achievement was 2010, Olympic gold plus a Stanley cup final appearance, is hard to top.
As for Miller, he carried USA to the final with outstanding play, won the Vezina and Olympic Silver.

Luongo's all time stats:
747/348-289-33=.465

Miller's all time stats
500/269-164-1=.538
Miller:
Luongo:

To be honest I think they both have very comparable numbers. One could argue he D skill in front of each goalie, sabres run n fun style Miller had a lot more 2 on 1s to defend, etc.

To me they are similar in skill (and I think age?). The contract is to me what puts miller above Lou.

Selanne00008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Rasmus Reichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
VS

Miller's Defense:
Luongo's:

Luongo's all time stats:
747/348-289-33=.465

Miller's all time stats
500/269-164-1=.538
Miller:
Luongo:

Pshhh forget stats I'd rather have the guy signed until 3017

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote