HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Prospect developmental camp

Old
07-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

vCash: 500
Laughton made the decision hard for them with his play last year, I don't have any doubt that he makes the team this year. And I think he ends up getting top 9 minutes not too long into the season.

Straka is another guy to keep an eye on, but I just can't see both he and Laughton making the team.. Laughton is the 1st rd pick, and also the one the staff is familiar with... I think he'd have to play like hammered **** to lose a spot to Straka. That being said, a forward like Talbot could be moved out if Straka forces the team to keep him because of his play.

Should be interesting, I cannot wait.

Calderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
Laughton made the decision hard for them with his play last year, I don't have any doubt that he makes the team this year. And I think he ends up getting top 9 minutes not too long into the season.

Straka is another guy to keep an eye on, but I just can't see both he and Laughton making the team.. Laughton is the 1st rd pick, and also the one the staff is familiar with... I think he'd have to play like hammered **** to lose a spot to Straka. That being said, a forward like Talbot could be moved out if Straka forces the team to keep him because of his play.

Should be interesting, I cannot wait.
I wouldn't move Talbot just to fit Straka in the bottom 6. With Talbot, Couturier, Read, & Laughton in the fold you could possibly move Giroux off the PK giving him more offensive opportunities.

Straka still needs to work on developing a defensive game so going to Adirondack with Terry Murray for the year wouldn't be the worst thing.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
sa cyred
No Tanking for #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I wouldn't move Talbot just to fit Straka in the bottom 6. With Talbot, Couturier, Read, & Laughton in the fold you could possibly move Giroux off the PK giving him more offensive opportunities.

Straka still needs to work on developing a defensive game so going to Adirondack with Terry Murray for the year wouldn't be the worst thing.
Well if they really wanted too they could make room for Straka. Showed they give rookie forwards a chance if they show themselves. Also we don't know for sure if they feel comfortable with Laughton on the wing.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well if they really wanted too they could make room for Straka. Showed they give rookie forwards a chance if they show themselves. Also we don't know for sure if they feel comfortable with Laughton on the wing.
Laughton could still play 4C. I don't think it's totally out of the question just because we re-signed Hall.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
For the first time in awhile, there is no need to rush anybody into the lineup. With Terry Murray coaching the phantoms, these players will benefit greatly by spending some time in Adirondack.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:49 AM
sa cyred
No Tanking for #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
For the first time in awhile, there is no need to rush anybody into the lineup. With Terry Murray coaching the phantoms, these players will benefit greatly by spending some time in Adirondack.
I'm not a big fan of Terry Murray. Didn't like how he coached the team last season. Had a better roster than Patterson did and did worse. His defensive system barely, if anything, didn't work. Hoping he changes things up a bit because the kids had no idea what they were doing.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Hiesenberg

I was having a discussion on twitter that Straka's push may cause a Read trade. That's really the only spot Straka could fit. Not saying that they want to trade Read and put Straka there, but its the only likely scenario.

It's risky because Read is such a good two-way forward, but lets face it, its unlikely he's resigned here next year.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:00 AM
sa cyred
No Tanking for #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I was having a discussion on twitter that Straka's push may cause a Read trade. That's really the only spot Straka could fit. Not saying that they want to trade Read and put Straka there, but its the only likely scenario.

It's risky because Read is such a good two-way forward, but lets face it, its unlikely he's resigned here next year.
I do think its better to see how Straka does not against kids. Like play him against Grossmann or L. Schenn. If he does well there and in the scrimmages (which he will play in a few), then I agree. MIT be too risky to get rid of Read just yet. Straka has looked great but so want to wait a little more. In the end I do think he pushes hard for a roster spot.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Hiesenberg

From the writers that have watched this guy from Columbus and now, they said its a 180 and the Flyers might have gotten a steal here. He admitted his head wasn't in the game for Columbus. Now he's completely different.

For a team that needs to work on D, trading one of the better defensive forwards and replacing him with a guy who is not known to play D well, might just be way too risky.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Terry Murray. Didn't like how he coached the team last season. Had a better roster than Patterson did and did worse. His defensive system barely, if anything, didn't work. Hoping he changes things up a bit because the kids had no idea what they were doing.
Murray had a terrible record on the phantoms but he knows what it takes for players to make at the NHL level, i.e. play defense. The defensemen that were brought up played well. Akeson even improved his defensive awareness. I think Murray is the perfect coach to have with Laviolette in the NHL since Lavy is not one to stress defensive awareness. The prospects should learn it somewhere.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Murray had a terrible record on the phantoms but he knows what it takes for players to make at the NHL level, i.e. play defense. The defensemen that were brought up played well. Akeson even improved his defensive awareness. I think Murray is the perfect coach to have with Laviolette in the NHL since Lavy is not one to stress defensive awareness. The prospects should learn it somewhere.
Eh, I'm a bit torn on this one. I like the fact that Murray is teaching them to be responsible defensive players, but the huge difference in sytems used between the teams can be detrimental. Gus admitted last year that it was hard to adjust going from Murray's conservative gameplan to Lavy's uptempo system. That makes a mid-season transition even more difficult than it already is.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:10 AM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Eh, I'm a bit torn on this one. I like the fact that Murray is teaching them to be responsible defensive players, but the huge difference in sytems used between the teams can be detrimental. Gus admitted last year that it was hard to adjust going from Murray's conservative gameplan to Lavy's uptempo system. That makes a mid-season transition even more difficult than it already is.
I feel the same way. If they played similar systems, it would make the adjustment much easier for a call up and they wouldn't have to learn to play Lavys system right before a game started

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Hiesenberg

I like Lavy's system, I hate the boring defensive crap

Old
07-10-2013, 08:22 AM
JoeFlyer

I wouldn't be so sure that Read will be gone next year just yet, not that it would be easy to keep him but there are several possibilities.

There's $12.5m spare next season, that chould resign B. Schenn, Couturier and Gustavsson for about $9.5. Tops for two goalies I'd say $5.5m (Mason is still RFA so I wouldn't expect him so suddenly get mega bucks even on a year of stella performances). The cap probably goes up (has to? - seeing as the minimum salary does?) by a bit, I saw $6m as a figure somewhere but that seems rather a lot to me. Say just half that, $3m, add in Prongers $4.9m and you're at about $20m to sign everyone with and about $5m to sign Read in.

But a lot can happen in a year so I guess we'll see...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:24 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
I like Lavy's system, I hate the boring defensive crap
Like it or not though, that seems to be the way to win lately. Teams are figuring out ways to clog the neutral zone and work a counter-attack system. We're not quite at dead puck era levels, but the wide open systems are being exploited by teams working those systems. It's why the Flyers constantly struggle against teams like the Lightning, Rangers, and Devils.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:27 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
I wouldn't be so sure that Read will be gone next year just yet, not that it would be easy to keep him but there are several possibilities.

There's $12.5m spare next season, that chould resign B. Schenn, Couturier and Gustavsson for about $9.5. Tops for two goalies I'd say $5.5m (Mason is still RFA so I wouldn't expect him so suddenly get mega bucks even on a year of stella performances). The cap probably goes up (has to? - seeing as the minimum salary does?) by a bit, I saw $6m as a figure somewhere but that seems rather a lot to me. Say just half that, $3m, add in Prongers $4.9m and you're at about $20m to sign everyone with and about $5m to sign Read in.

But a lot can happen in a year so I guess we'll see...
I have a feeling someone is going to throw 4-5 million at him, and Read's not worth that hit. I wouldn't hate him for taking the most money though. It's likely to be the only big money deal he sees in his NHL career.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Like it or not though, that seems to be the way to win lately. Teams are figuring out ways to clog the neutral zone and work a counter-attack system. We're not quite at dead puck era levels, but the wide open systems are being exploited by teams working those systems. It's why the Flyers constantly struggle against teams like the Lightning, Rangers, and Devils.
I agree 100%, but its boring and I like to be entertained. However a Cup would entertain that crap out of me.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Anyone going to the trial on the Isle?

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

straka is signed to a 3 year deal correct? i dont see a reason to rush him if we have a competent forward corps

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
straka is signed to a 3 year deal correct? i dont see a reason to rush him if we have a competent forward corps
Correct, I think the only reason he would make it is if they feel he is better suited than another player on the roster and right now. I don't think he is.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:06 PM
sa cyred
No Tanking for #2

Quote:
Correct, I think the only reason he would make it is if they feel he is better suited than another player on the roster and right now. I don't think he is.
They could look at Laughton and feel like they wanna give him another season in the OHL. Nothing is set in stone. They buy another year of Laughton to get better offensively. I think at the moment, offensively talent wise Straka is better but Laughton is easily better defensively. Depends on what they are looking for.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:09 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
if a deal cant be worked out for gagne and they find no suitors for mez, possible chance he is on the roster?

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
They could look at Laughton and feel like they wanna give him another season in the OHL. Nothing is set in stone. They buy another year of Laughton to get better offensively. I think at the moment, offensively talent wise Straka is better but Laughton is easily better defensively. Depends on what they are looking for.
I agree, all things that will be determined in a few months I'm sure. All I know is that Laughton and Straka (and to a degree Hagg) have been mentioned the most so far in camp.

But we all know Hagg is going back.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Stizzle

Wow, this Straka hype is a bit much. I honestly think he has no chance to make the team. Any of the fringe forwards who get in the lineup will need to play some D. Going by reputation, Raffl and Mcginn seem to be well ahead of the rest. Even Holmstrom would likely be ahead of Straka.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:17 PM
sa cyred
No Tanking for #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Wow, this Straka hype is a bit much. I honestly think he has no chance to make the team. Any of the fringe forwards who get in the lineup will need to play some D. Going by reputation, Raffl and Mcginn seem to be well ahead of the rest. Even Holmstrom would likely be ahead of Straka.
Really? Team said he had a good chance, and so far has been the best player at prospect camp. Guys like Bill M and such also stated he has a chance.

Why do you think he doesnt? Saying he has a chance to play doesnt mean he has alot of hype. Finally got a forward who plays a game where he can score goals and pass the puck (other than Schenn/Couturier two years ago)