HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Is Valeri Nichushkin our next Anze Kopitar?

Old
07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Sarke

vCash: 500
Is Valeri Nichushkin our next Anze Kopitar?

In the vein of "Is Eddie Lack our next Corey Schneider?", do you think Valeri Nichushkin is our next Anze Kopitar?

I remember watching that draft and thinking "Yes, we got Kopitar!" after Ottawa passed on him as well.

Lots of people are saying we should have drafted Nichushkin instead. Will it bite us?

P.S. Yes I am aware that we don't know how Bourdon would have turned out, but that's besides the point. Kopitar turned out to be a great player, and many people at that time thought we should have drafted him as well.

Sarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Nichushkin is a riskier pick, I am fine with us picking Horvat. IIRC Kopitar fell because of a lack of scouting and questions about the Slovenian league he played in. Nichushkin has more question marks about his commitment to the NHL and such imo. Would he of made our team next year? I'm not so sure. Would of been scary to see him go back to the KHL for a unknown amount of time if he didn't make our roster this season.

Horvat is a great player in his own right as well.

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

No.

He could be our next Jagr.

People passed on Jagr because they had a reason too (possible military service) Pittsburgh took a gamble and won.

People passed on Nichushkin for reasons too. Dallas took a gamble and time will tell if they won too.

Gillis was in tight enough of a spot as it was yesterday. Do you think it would be reasonable to trade Schneider for a guy who has already said he'll play in the KHL if he doesn't make the NHL? And even if those words have been mis-translated somewhat... there would always be a KHL threat with him.

And to Horvat... No motorcycles until your 35!

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Golden Boy
The Spy in Beantown

vCash: 300
Kopitar wanted to come to the NHL, he was intent on working his way up in the system ASFAIK.

Nichushkin thinks he's the next coming of Bure and thinks that he deserves a top 6 spot and regular ice time, or he bolts it back to the KHL a la Alexander Radulov etc...

There's a difference between him and Kopitar.

TL;DR : The kid thinks hes entitled to a top 6 spot in the NHL as a rookie, and given the recent Canucks history with rookies, a top 6 spot for him wouldn't be easy to come by. Simple.

Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Passthedonuts

Big difference is Kopitar was from an obscure country with no track record of developing NHL talent. He was more of an "unknown" than a legitimate flight risk.

Nichushkin is from a country where a high percentage of players stay, or return to the KHL early in their careers.

Bo Horvat is a stud, a playoff MVP, and a future captain - he's the type of guy you go to war with and the type of player this team lacks. I sleep much easier at night knowing we didn't trade Schneider for a potential flight risk, even if there is a chance he becomes a slightly better player.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HFBoards Sponsor

No. Could just be another Filatov I would have probably taken Nichushkin at the time but now knowing we got Shinkaruk I'm happier with the safer pick in Horvat.

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethesis View Post
Kopitar wanted to come to the NHL, he was intent on working his way up in the system ASFAIK.

Nichushkin thinks he's the next coming of Bure and thinks that he deserves a top 6 spot and regular ice time, or he bolts it back to the KHL a la Alexander Radulov etc...

There's a difference between him and Kopitar.

TL;DR : The kid thinks hes entitled to a top 6 spot in the NHL as a rookie, and given the recent Canucks history with rookies, a top 6 spot for him wouldn't be easy to come by. Simple.
Proof? Link? Anything? From the sounds of it, it's an NHL spot period or the KHL; not a "top-6 spot".

Will add that I think Horvat over Nichuskin is the right move the Canucks. Apparently, Carolina debated taking him at 5 over Lindholm. This is a guy who was HIGHLY coveted by many NHL teams.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Nash

A better title might be "Is Nichushkin Dallas' Kuznetsov?"

Totally different circumstances and reasons for being passed over.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
HFBoards Sponsor

Kopitar is also one of the best two-way forwards in hockey, his compete level is on another planet compared to Nichushkin.

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Tim Calhoun
Genius

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Nichushkin is a riskier pick, I am fine with us picking Horvat. IIRC Kopitar fell because of a lack of scouting and questions about the Slovenian league he played in. Nichushkin has more question marks about his commitment to the NHL and such imo. Would he of made our team next year? I'm not so sure. Would of been scary to see him go back to the KHL for a unknown amount of time if he didn't make our roster this season.

Horvat is a great player in his own right as well.
Anze Kopitar was playing in the Swedish Jr. League, probably the heaviest scouted junior league in Europe.

Tim Calhoun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM
WhiteCurse

I dont see it, Barkov would have needed to be the forward to fall to get Kop comparison.

WhiteCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Wisp

I'd rather they not gamble Corey Schneider on a KHLer who is less than enthusiastic about the NHL. And even if he was committed, negotiating his contract in 3 years in going to be brutal with the KHL used as leverage. Plus the Russian government and national team is known to interfere...

No thanks.

On top of all that, we have no infrastructure on the team to make Vancouver an easy transition for a Russian players.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:55 PM
canuck4life16
Anti-tank campaign

no Russian please......Canadian player win cups

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Anze Kopitar was playing in the Swedish Jr. League, probably the heaviest scouted junior league in Europe.
ah my mistake. Thank you for correcting me

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
iFan

No, didn't Nichshkin put KHL as his favourite nhl team? Hasn't he already threat to go to the KHL if he's not playing in the NHL this season? I don't want that headache, I'm glad we took Bo Horvat TSN reported a team had him as high as 4th overall. Our system also needs a center like him in the worse way over a winger like Nishuskin. Gillis made the right pick, even if we had the Oilers pick this is who you pick, I would have a hard time deciding between Horvat, Lindholm and Monahan all very solid centers.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

He hasn't even started playing on a team yet and is already using the KHL as leverage. This is only a taste of things to come.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Peter Griffin

The difference between Horvat and Bourdon IMO is that Bourdon was a bit of an "off the board" pick when he was selected. From what I remember, most pundits had him in the later round if you were going with a defenseman Marc Staal was generally higher rated. Horvat's ranking has been trending upward all season and as mentioned, some teams's had them in their top 5, one apparently in their top 4.

Bourdon/Kopitar were both somewhat risks, whereas Horvat appears to be pretty much a lock to be a solid contributing NHL'er. Whether he's the impat of a Patrice Bergeron, only time will tell.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
even if we had the Oilers pick
I don't believe for a second the Oilers offered their pick for Schneider. Forget what MacT said, Dubnyk put up VERY solid numbers in front of a VERY bad team. Sure, I feel Schneider is better than Dubnyk; but alone he isn't enough of an upgrade to make a meaningful difference on the end for that team (they have much larger priorities to correct to consider dealing a high 1st rounder).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Canadian Gold X3
Linden Era!

He would've been Russian over to the KHL.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
YogiCanucks

To me he's a pick al la Jordan Staal or JVR. He's got all the tools so to speak to be a dominant player and it's a question on whether or not he can develop into that type of player. We have a youngish prospect like that. I think the fact he's Russian didn't factor that strongly into the discussion.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
iFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I don't believe for a second the Oilers offered their pick for Schneider. Forget what MacT said, Dubnyk put up VERY solid numbers in front of a VERY bad team. Sure, I feel Schneider is better than Dubnyk; but alone he isn't enough of an upgrade to make a meaningful difference on the end for that team (they have much larger priorities to correct to consider dealing a high 1st rounder).
It was heavily report Oilers were after Schneider hard, TSN was also saying when the trade was made the Oilers table was in disbelief cause they had a better offer on the table.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Nuck This

Three things.

1. It's NHL or KHL
2. He quit during the combine and he'd most likely quit on Tortz
3. We just traded a star goalie for that pick, we weren't going to take on a risk like him and have him bolt in two years and lose Schneider for nohting. Come on guys let's get freaking serious here. Happy we got Bo.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
the Oilers table was in disbelief cause they had a better offer on the table.
Then their management team is as dumb as ever (which is hardly surprising given what they've done in the past several years ) offering that much to upgrade a position that wasn't really a weakness.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Bo Knows

Yeah, this guy would have been gone in minutes if he didn't make the top six. We have no Russians to accommodate players of his ilk and make them feel welcome (ex. Gonchar with Malkin.)

Radulov v2.0 IMO

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
tc23
Also Mr. Playoffs

vCash: 1636
Nichushkin is a great player. Horvat is also a great player. I think many of us would have preferred Nichushkin but have no issues with taking Horvat instead. Gillis picked Horvat over Nichushkin because, as a person and player, Horvat fits better with our team going forward. While Nichushkin may end up being the better player, Horvat is one of those guys you win with. He's a hard working team-first guy who plays strong two-way hockey that our organization raves about. Also, as Nichushkin is a Russian, the KHL will continue to be a factor, not because of risks of losing him to the KHL (though that's certainly a possibility) but because of complications during salary negotiations. In today's salary cap world, you need guys who are willing to take discounts to give the team a better chance to win. That's what Gillis has done with all of our core guys (Sedins, Kesler, Edler, etc) and that's what our organization is looking to continue to do with the foreseeable future.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote