HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Veterans

View Poll Results: Which of these vets you d like to see replaced by a younger player?
Jim Dowd 3 15.00%
Richard Park 0 0%
Jeremy Stevenson 1 5.00%
Brad Brown 1 5.00%
Jason Marshall 5 25.00%
Antti Laaksonen 0 0%
Bill Muckalt 0 0%
Matt Johnson 2 10.00%
Darby Hendrickson 8 40.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 07:17 AM
aylib
User and abuser

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Veterans

Which of these vets you d like to be replaced by a younger player?

Old
09-25-2003, 07:37 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
i am all for replacing some of the vets, but who would you be replacing the vet with? Our vets lead us to the conference finals, improved our numbers ever year, provide leadership for the youngsters and are proven over an 82 game season. Stevens and Brown are the only two i would replace, they are scratched often. The other vets are better than any young player in the system at this point.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:44 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
i am all for replacing some of the vets, but who would you be replacing the vet with? Our vets lead us to the conference finals, improved our numbers ever year, provide leadership for the youngsters and are proven over an 82 game season. Stevens and Brown are the only two i would replace, they are scratched often. The other vets are better than any young player in the system at this point.
At this point-maybe. But what if you let a player stick and develop? I am sure there were better veterans on Bruins roster than a 7 point Thornton. I guess it depends on what the Wilds goal is-trying to reach the playoffs loaded with vets, or trying to develop younger players (two extremes). By the way, I am not suggesting replacing all or even majority of those vets. Somewhere around 2.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:09 AM
MN_Gopher

well gaborik, Schultz, PM all made the team to devolp, Burns is... well who knows, Veilliex, Wanvig, Wallin got a look last year. Ronning, Roest, Gavey, Sekeras, Hnat, Benysek,Bordeleu are out Traded Pellerin, lechyseian(know idea) Krivo, Odonnell, Bloin, Sutton. Soon it will be.... Other than Koivu all of our first rounders play for the wild, Gab, PM, Burns, Schultz is a second rounder. I think we are doing just fine. O'Sullivan sounds like he is ready to rip juniors a new one. And for every Thorton there is a Lecavilier. Vince is finally coming in to his own but he could of benifitted from less spot light.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Dan-o

I went with Darby, but I'd give a close second to Laaksonen. We've got 1/2 a dozen guys who can do his job. We've seen what Laaksonen has to offer; the guy has no upside anymore and what we're seeing isn't that special. He's got wheels and grit, but I'm gonna wretch if I watch him blow one more breakaway.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I'll break this down on why I chose Darby Hendrickson...

I want to choose Jim Dowd also because like Hendrickson, he has no real big upside anymore and can be easily replaceable.

Richard Park is going to be the third guy cut when our rookies starting hitting stride but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Good teams need clutch players like these that turn it up in the post-season and Park really came through in the post-season and should be rewarded for that. He needs to stay consistant. He has speed, he has the ability but he doesn't have the consistancy to be a regular NHL player. He is a solid 3rd line/4th line guy for now but once guys like Hannula, Berzins (if ever him!), Cavosie, Cullen start really hitting stride and starting push Park will be the first one out to make room for these guys.

Stevenson is going to be one of the guys I don't think cut until Wanvig absolutely, positively proves that he can take over for Stevenson. Stevenson is one of those guys you don't immediately replace when a guy like Wanvig starts really showing some skills. It takes time. Stevenson is no means a power forward but he does add a lot of grit, size, and heart to the front lines. To me he is irreplaceble until Wanvig really, really pushes Stevenson hard for his spot or Stevenson has to retire. Stevenson maybe slow, and maybe one of the 'worst' players on the Wild goal wise but he adds a lot of characteristics to the front.

Brown from what I hear has greatly improved over the summer. He might be pushed into number 5 or 6 defensemen and I rather see Marshall and Bombardir go before he does. He is a fighter, which is good, and a tough guy. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he finally has hit his stride. He's only 29 and has a couple more years before he leaves.

Jason Marshall I want him to go but there is no one really to replace him on the defensive corp that I see ready. Michalek, Reitz, Heid, and Roche still need time in the minors to really hit their consistancy and to gain confidence. For now Marshall will be a scratch but when needed he adds a little added grit to the blueline but he doesn't add a lot. He will be the first to be cut I believe once our defensemen really prove that they are ready.

Laaksonen, I think the only real person that is going to challenge Laaksonen for his position is Hannula. They are basically one in the same. Both are solid two-way players but Hannula needs to prove himself in Houston. Laaksonen also has a one year contract, making his release a little easier to swallow. He's getting up there in age, but I don't think that's a factor. I see him gone when Hannula shows he is ready.

Bill Mucklat, give him another year. He's old yes, but his season last year was cut short because of a very cheap hit. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll thrive under the Wild's leadership and guidance and will have another solid season.

Matt Johnson, we basically don't have any enforcers to replace Johnson, so he sticks. He is also a very reputable goon/enforcer, so he sticks indefinitely.

Darby Hendrickson is the one I would replace. He is off-injured a lot, and we got his replacement in Choiunard and Wallin. Shouldn't be hard since he is getting up there in age.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:27 PM
vitogor

Jimmy Dowd gets my vote. His one and only move (skate the puck into the zone, behind the net, back to the point, then pass or shoot) is starting to really get on my nerves. Sure, he has GREAT wheels, I'm sure he is a good leader in the room, but... Sorry, he has to go IMO.

EDIT: BTW, did you guys hear Lemaire talking about Dowd after the Chicago game? It's hilarious Here's the link:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/wild...-23-03_56k.wvx

Old
09-25-2003, 01:48 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
That's really interesting, he says the PP is really frustrating.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:37 PM
MN_Gopher

Do people realize that Dowd wears an A, He is a leader, has speed, will do anything that LeMaaire asks of him. He is certiny not flashy but lets just lose Jimmy and Darby. We will still have a solid checking center in.. well there is.. oh yeah bring up Wallin and Foy. lots more offense now, yeah. But wait our defense is getting worse and we are losing more face offs lately. And the kids are looking frusterated in the locker romm... i know lets look to the guys that one a cup and some veteran forwards. Walz got hurt, why. He had to double shift against Detroit, Toronto, Colorado, Dallas because we have one else on our team that can win a face off and play D. who else can we play at center, well give PM increased playing time he is what 19 now, ready to be a man by hockey standards. I ll stop now.

I now those two are not gods, They are actually just OK. They provide a role. They do their job well. They take loads of pressure of the youngsters, they do all the little things that u can not exept guys like PM, Schultz to even know about on and off the ice. This is a team game, we have great chemisitry going right now. Take away a vet or two and bring in a kid. Lets not over haul here. Dowd, Darby, Antii, Muckalt, Bombadir, Marshall will be gone in a year or two. Foy, Wanvig, Wallin Veilliex will still be there. Honestly has Wanvig or Vellieux inpressed you from what did when they got called up. If i remember Wanvig was an early cut but didnt Vellieux have a great pre season last year almost made the team, and wow he really tore it up with that call up, right? We are not hurting the kids by making them work harder and earn a spot and earn respect.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Dan-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Do people realize that Dowd wears an A, He is a leader, has speed, will do anything that LeMaaire asks of him. He is certiny not flashy but lets just lose Jimmy and Darby. We will still have a solid checking center in.. well there is.. oh yeah bring up Wallin and Foy. lots more offense now, yeah. But wait our defense is getting worse and we are losing more face offs lately. And the kids are looking frusterated in the locker romm... i know lets look to the guys that one a cup and some veteran forwards. Walz got hurt, why. He had to double shift against Detroit, Toronto, Colorado, Dallas because we have one else on our team that can win a face off and play D. who else can we play at center, well give PM increased playing time he is what 19 now, ready to be a man by hockey standards. I ll stop now.

I now those two are not gods, They are actually just OK. They provide a role. They do their job well. They take loads of pressure of the youngsters, they do all the little things that u can not exept guys like PM, Schultz to even know about on and off the ice. This is a team game, we have great chemisitry going right now. Take away a vet or two and bring in a kid. Lets not over haul here. Dowd, Darby, Antii, Muckalt, Bombadir, Marshall will be gone in a year or two. Foy, Wanvig, Wallin Veilliex will still be there. Honestly has Wanvig or Vellieux inpressed you from what did when they got called up. If i remember Wanvig was an early cut but didnt Vellieux have a great pre season last year almost made the team, and wow he really tore it up with that call up, right? We are not hurting the kids by making them work harder and earn a spot and earn respect.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to Dowd quite yet. If we booted Hendrickson, we'd still have Walz, Laaksonen, Park, Dowd, Muckalt, etc. to handle the defensive responsibilities. That would be fine.

And I know it sounds cheesy, but I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. That sentence pretty much epitomizes the thread I started about bringing up 4-5 prospects. I want these youngsters to EARN their roster spot, not have it given to them. This team, and the players themselves, will be better in the long run if they have to fight and claw for their spot instead of getting it because they're young and more talented than Dowd, Park, etc. It might hurt mentally to get demoted now, but it'll make them hungrier and better. If they can't handle the demotion mentally, they're probably not strong enough to be real NHL contributors anyway.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Wild Thing

I understand what you guys are saying - and I respect it - but at some point in the team's development, the Wild are no longer going to be able to rotate only 1 or 2 guys out each year. There are just too many guys in their early 30s, and too many guys right around 20, and no solid prospects in between. The 30-somethings are going to reach a point where we have to shed 3 or 4 a year, if not 4 or 5, and the 20-somethings are going to reach a point in their development where they're going to have to take the next step, warts or no warts.

I'm not necessarily saying the team is at that point yet, but with each passing year, we're a year closer to it - and who knows? This may be the year. At some point, the kids are going to have to learn how to do the stuff that Dowd and Darby do - and the only way they're going to be able to learn it is by having to do it. That's how Darby and Dowd learned it, you know. If Lemaire and Risebrough decide that this is the year - that it's time for Wallin, Wanvig, Veilleux, Roche, and who knows who else to either sink or swim - then I trust them to make that decision.

We'll know in a week and a half!

Old
09-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Dan-o

Wild Thing, where in the world did you get almost 2,000 posts? I know it hasn't all been in the Wild forum. It's off topic but I'm just curious.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:31 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
Wild Thing, where in the world did you get almost 2,000 posts? I know it hasn't all been in the Wild forum. It's off topic but I'm just curious.
He's an elusive board hopper! Hehe, I'm willing to bet mostly the Lounge. The Lounge is a quiet posters nightmare, just sucks you right in if you're not too careful.

Old
09-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
I used to post on a lot of hockey boards, and Theo is right - I spend a lot of time in the Lounge now, too.

I'm not sure why... perhaps I ought to see a professional about that!

Closed Thread