HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas

Old
07-02-2013, 12:58 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
While I deplore his political slant and I do believe he would not be distraction free..I think he has way more character to back it up on the ice although there is a risk.

What is ironic is that when Thomas was being shopped the offseason prior to him winning the cup I started a thread vouching that the Flyers sign him and also noted how Meltzer thought the idea of signing Thomas was intriguing. The howls about how he was a medical basket case and old were pretty pronounced by a lot of fans. My argument was that the risk was no greater than going with Leighton and Boucher. Now things have come full circle and he's older and had a year off and still won't be cheap in years and cash yet there is more interest..go figure.
Wasn't there a Gagne for Thomas rumour out there?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostradamus View Post
Well he wouldn't necessarily be the starter here. We don't know how his level of play is for the time being, for all we know Mason could be better at this point. I realize what he thinks he is worth but I would pass and let some other team pay $4 Mill a year to find out he doesn't have it anymore.
So we can get some mediocre talent in here instead? This team is starving for superior goaltending. Why settle on average? Based on what we do know about Mason, he's not a good goalie. Based on what we do know about Thomas, he's an outstanding goalie. If you choose Mason over Thomas, you're investing the decision entirely in "unknown" factors.

I also don't think you would bring in Tim Thomas without the expectation that he is starter material.

Edit: He's also not a guy who you expect to ride for 65+ starts a year going on 40, so the org still gets games to evaluate Steve Mason (yippee).

Last edited by Damaged Goods: 07-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Wasn't there a Gagne for Thomas rumour out there?

Yeah..thread is locked but here it is. There was a lot of back and forth

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=788575

Here is Meltzer's post..mine was right under it

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...8&postcount=30

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

pass.
we dont need another goalie circus.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Fresh34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
So we can get some mediocre talent in here instead? This team is starving for superior goaltending. Why settle on average? Based on what we do know about Mason, he's not a good goalie. Based on what we do know about Thomas, he's an outstanding goalie. If you choose Mason over Thomas, you're investing the decision entirely in "unknown" factors.

I also don't think you would bring in Tim Thomas without the expectation that he is starter material.
Based on what we know about 39 year old goaltenders who just took a year off from playing we know....

Nothing.

That's why people don't want Thomas. What's so hard to understand? I'd say that's a legit gripe over this idea. Thomas being almost 40 and coming off of not playing for a year is arguably a bigger "unknown factor" than Steve Mason.

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
poneill27

Do Not Want! Mason and anyone else for me please!

poneill27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
pass.
we dont need another goalie circus.
We already have one.

07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Rather have Thomas then trade away prospects.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
captainpaxil

Thomas on a short term deal im very interested. tho mas as the answer to our goaltending woes not so much. if Holmgren sticks to what he said before about getting somebody to push mason for 30-40 games then im all for giving Thomas a look, otherwise theres cheaper options

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh34 View Post
Based on what we know about 39 year old goaltenders who just took a year off from playing we know....

Nothing.

That's why people don't want Thomas. What's so hard to understand? I'd say that's a legit gripe over this idea. Thomas being almost 40 and coming off of not playing for a year is arguably a bigger "unknown factor" than Steve Mason.
Hasaek says "sup"

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger Danger View Post
Hasaek says "sup"
I think using one of the best goalies of all time as your example would be more of the exception than the rule. Tim Thomas is good, but I don't think you can use Hasek as a comparable. Also, people were concerned with Hasek coming back. He proved them wrong to a certain extent, but I imagine the concerns were there for him, just like there are here.

If he wants a one year short deal, I'd take him. If he wants $4mil or something, get out of here and let someone else risk it. Could turn out great for them. Could backfire.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think using one of the best goalies of all time as your example would be more of the exception than the rule. Tim Thomas is good, but I don't think you can use Hasek as a comparable. Also, people were concerned with Hasek coming back. He proved them wrong to a certain extent, but I imagine the concerns were there for him, just like there are here.

If he wants a one year short deal, I'd take him. If he wants $4mil or something, get out of here and let someone else risk it. Could turn out great for them. Could backfire.
I'll give you he may be the exception, but it isn't like Thomas sucked before he left. And he asked what we knew about goalies who took off a year, and I gave him an example.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Fresh34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger Danger View Post
I'll give you he may be the exception, but it isn't like Thomas sucked before he left. And he asked what we knew about goalies who took off a year, and I gave him an example.
Right, Dominik Hasek. One of the best goalies of all time. I guess if he can do it, anyone can.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:

Nothing.
You said this, and I corrected you. Thats all.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Even if Thomas has stopped being elite and has been downgraded to "good," that'll do. As long as he hasn't been downgraded to "awful."

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
blinds

Quote:
Right, Dominik Hasek. One of the best goalies of all time. I guess if he can do it, anyone can.
Don't discredit Tim Thomas.. he won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago and has 2 Vezina's under his belt.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Even if Thomas has stopped being elite and has been downgraded to "good," that'll do. As long as he hasn't been downgraded to "awful."
This guy is a pretty intelligent man. Who knows, he still even might be elite. You never know, that year off could have helped his body get back to 100%. Timmy winning a Vezina in Philly would be hilarious.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I agree (though not at $4 million). The problem is this: there really is no way of knowing because he hasn't been playing for the past year. He may still be in good shape, and I am sure he is, but that doesn't mean he's still able to compete at an NHL level.

Is that a risk you are willing to take? I'm not at $4 million. If that is fine, I understand your willingness to take said risk, I just wouldn't take it. At a lesser price, probably anything $2 million or below, I would take the risk. Or if it is $4 million on a one year deal and it doesn't stop the Flyers from signing someone else this season I guess I really wouldn't care either. But if it is $4 million instead of another UFA or trade, no dice. Or if it is $4 million a year for 2+ years, no dice.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree (though not at $4 million). The problem is this: there really is no way of knowing because he hasn't been playing for the past year. He may still be in good shape, and I am sure he is, but that doesn't mean he's still able to compete at an NHL level.

Is that a risk you are willing to take? I'm not at $4 million. If that is fine, I understand your willingness to take said risk, I just wouldn't take it. At a lesser price, probably anything $2 million or below, I would take the risk. Or if it is $4 million on a one year deal and it doesn't stop the Flyers from signing someone else this season I guess I really wouldn't care either. But if it is $4 million instead of another UFA or trade, no dice. Or if it is $4 million a year for 2+ years, no dice.
If it's 4 mil for a year I can live with it. It's no worse than some of Homer's goalie experiments. And, it's not like he'd be skating up and down the ice trying to keep up with guys half his age. I'd be most concerned about his reflexes. I also assume he wouldn't be able to shoulder a heavy load.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Fresh34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Don't discredit Tim Thomas.. he won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago and has 2 Vezina's under his belt.
And

is

thirty

nine

years

old

Old
07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
And

is

thirty

nine

years

old
How did he look the last time he played? Oh, Conn Smythe you say? hrmm clearly too old....

Old
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Damaged Goods

Dominik Hasek career SV% -- .923
Tim Thomas career SV% - .923
(Playoffs included for both).

Obviously Hasek had more longevity and his numbers were watered down a little bit by post-prime seasons, but Thomas still earns the comparison based on the quality of his play. Thomas has a .927 SV% over his last 5 seasons, which is staggering. The peak of Haskek's career was 1993-1999 when he led the NHL in SV% 6 seasons in a row (age 29-34). Hasek had a .930 SV% over that 6 year span.

Hasek peaked younger than Thomas and slightly higher, and turned in good seasons at ages 41 and 42 after a couple absences from the NHL. It would not be unprecedented for Thomas to perform well, and if there's any team that should take a calculated gamble on him, it's the Flyers.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Damaged Goods

Welp, looks like it might be a squeeze to offer TT $4 M a year now...

Old
07-02-2013, 06:47 PM
deftones1986

I'd like to ask 2 questions of all the people who would not like Tim Thomas to sign with the Flyers:

What are the possible downsides of signing Tim Thomas?

What are the possible upsides of signing Tim Thomas?

Seems like the upsides win, and I haven't even posted this yet....

deftones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Dominik Hasek career SV% -- .923
Tim Thomas career SV% - .923
(Playoffs included for both).

Obviously Hasek had more longevity and his numbers were watered down a little bit by post-prime seasons, but Thomas still earns the comparison based on the quality of his play. Thomas has a .927 SV% over his last 5 seasons, which is staggering. The peak of Haskek's career was 1993-1999 when he led the NHL in SV% 6 seasons in a row (age 29-34). Hasek had a .930 SV% over that 6 year span.

Hasek peaked younger than Thomas and slightly higher, and turned in good seasons at ages 41 and 42 after a couple absences from the NHL. It would not be unprecedented for Thomas to perform well, and if there's any team that should take a calculated gamble on him, it's the Flyers.
Hasek had the longevity over Thomas but when both were at their peaks it's pretty damn close.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote