HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mario on a different Team?

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Mario on a different Team?

There are rumors that the Pens may be sold. For arguments sake lets assume they are sold and relocated to a new city and Mario is not part of the new ownership group and severs ties with the Pens. Since Mario plays on only 1 year contracts and would be a F/A what team do you think he would want to play for in his final years and try to win another cup or two? What team could he get over the hump?

Old
06-08-2005, 12:39 PM
yannick

mTl

Old
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I don't think something like this will happen. But if it does, I would say he would be interrested in playing for his childhood dream and favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens. He alrerady has 2 stanley up and altough you never spit on a chance to get it, he wound't go to a certain team just for this. Now would Montreal(or any team for that matter) want him at maybe 6mil$ for maybe only 20 games is another question, alot of restriction would be neened in his contract espacialy with a cap.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL
I don't think something like this will happen. But if it does, I would say he would be interrested in playing for his childhood dream and favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens. He alrerady has 2 stanley up and altough you never spit on a chance to get it, he wound't go to a certain team just for this. Now would Montreal(or any team for that matter) want him at maybe 6mil$ for maybe only 20 games is another question, alot of restriction would be neened in his contract espacialy with a cap.
I think he would go to a certain team to win, he will get his money because someone who is close will without a doubt pay him. His workload wouldn't be as great on a contending team and would be more refreshed. Also some of the injuries he had IMO if the Pens were contending I think he would have been back a lot sooner but why rush when your team is going nowhere

Old
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
London Knights

I'm pretty sure every team would want him. I would imagine that if he left the Penguins, he would either go to a young team that is on the verge of contention to progress some young stars, or he would go the team that offered him a shot at another Cup. Frankly I don't see how he leaves the Pens as he has devoted his entire career, and financial status to a leaky boat, so if the franchise remains in Pittsburgh I can't see him leaving.

However, if they relocate he may up and leave. Then again, the way he has been treated by the city in arena negotiations may make him a little more than ticked off.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:

I think you're being overly optimistic about the power of childhood dreams. If Mario doesn't play for the Pens he's going to want to play to win and I just don't think Montreal is a realistic place to do that right now...

Old
06-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
I don't think something like this will happen. But if it does, I would say he would be interrested in playing for his childhood dream and favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens.
You guys are almost as bad as the Leafs.

Mario's heart is in Pittsburgh and I can never ever see him playing in a different uniform even if he does sell the team. He spent his best years in the city and won the fans two (could be wrong about that one) cup that will never be forgotten.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
I think you're being overly optimistic about the power of childhood dreams. If Mario doesn't play for the Pens he's going to want to play to win and I just don't think Montreal is a realistic place to do that right now...
It's so tough to predict who will win the cup now, I mean Kariya and Selanne went to Colorado to win the cup and it's Calgary who end up in the finals. What I meant was that Mario won't go to a team that are necessarely the Favorite like TB or NJ or COL, he would go to the team he would feel the most conforteble with and of course like every other players, try to win. You guys seems to right off Montreal really fast. I know that if I get started I will start a fight but Montreal beat Boston twice in there last two apperences in playoff when Boston were largely favorite and got beat by Carolina(went to finals) and TB(won the cup) in those years. With Bonk coming and Theodore in nets, Montreal can beat anyone in the league just has much has they can get beat by anyone(except by Boston ). Montreal is a young up and coming team with solid veteran, and with Kovalev possibly around.......and Crosby .

Old
06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Mario would go to a team that has a few weapons he can work with. I actually think Ottawa would be the best fit. Has Hossa, Havlat, Alfi on the wing with Hasek in nets.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
You guys are almost as bad as the Leafs.

Mario's heart is in Pittsburgh and I can never ever see him playing in a different uniform even if he does sell the team. He spent his best years in the city and won the fans two (could be wrong about that one) cup that will never be forgotten.
And you just as bad as anyone who loves picking on Habs fan for nothing.

I never said he would APSOLUTELY want to play for the Habs, I even said that the habs might not be that interrested in him. AND I said that I didn't think it would happen But IF it were to happen, that I tought he would select or atleast have interrest in coming to MTL.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:15 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Mario would go to a team that has a few weapons he can work with. I actually think Ottawa would be the best fit. Has Hossa, Havlat, Alfi on the wing with Hasek in nets.
Not a bad choice, why not play for one of your most hated rivals-the Flyers, they are as close as close can get and we all know how in the playoffs our scoring seems to dry up just a little, good mix of young and old players, not that far form Pittsburgh were he lives.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
That offence would be deadly and excactly what the league needs. But I think Hasek is done tought...Ottawa would be high on his list IMO.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
David Draiman

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
There are rumors that the Pens may be sold. For arguments sake lets assume they are sold and relocated to a new city and Mario is not part of the new ownership group and severs ties with the Pens. Since Mario plays on only 1 year contracts and would be a F/A what team do you think he would want to play for in his final years and try to win another cup or two? What team could he get over the hump?
First of all, that's a lot of assumptions to be making, but seeing as we have a lockout, we might as well have some fun speculating, right? If all you're suggesting comes true, then I think Mario might go to Montreal mainly because he's from there, but also because they're a team on the rise. With Mario it doesn't seem to be all about winning because he's stuck with Pittsburgh through their recent rough patch, so I don't think it's a slam dunk he'd go to a contender. Mario seems to be a pretty loyal guy, so it makes perfect sense if things fall apart in Pittsburgh for him to go to Montreal, where he is from and to try to help his hometown team get over the hump.

With that said, Mario is damaged goods. He is skilled, but his presence may intimidate some of the young players in Montreal, though it doesn't seem it has affected the atmosphere in Pittsburgh. He might command a hefty salary and is constantly injured. It's not guaranteed that Montreal would be interested in him, though considering the fact they got Kovalev at the deadline, which seems to show that they are willing to spend to compete now and that he is from there, just as previous free agent additions such as Perreault or Juneau were. I'd conclude that they'd probably be interested, but not at too hefty of a salary and they'd plan around him missing 20-30 games at least.

The thing to remember is that Mario is loyal, as I said. A lot of things would have to happen to make Mario leave Pittsburgh. He has played his whole career for them and has had windows of opportunity to try and get out before. Every time he has deferred and stayed with the Pens. I think there is a good chance he'd stay even if he wasn't owner... But still, it makes for an interesting conversation.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
There are rumors that the Pens may be sold. For arguments sake lets assume they are sold and relocated to a new city and Mario is not part of the new ownership group and severs ties with the Pens.
Mario will call it a carrer.

Old
06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
habfan4

If the Pens are sold and remain in Pittsburgh - Mario ends his career as a Penguin, socks away his ownership interest money and buys an island to retire on.

If the Pens are sold and moved (and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen) - Mario finishes out his contract, socks away his ownership interest money and buys an island to retire on.

Either way seeing Lemieux in anything other than a Penguins jersey would be on par with having watched Lafleur in a Rangers jersey (no offence Rags fans) or a Nordiques jersey (screw you Nords fans).

Old
06-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Sens4Cup

I'm gonna to agree with some previous posts, if Mario were available, Ottawa would make a huge play to get him. As he's been playing mostly LW these days, he could step in and play the LW, on a line with Spezza and Hossa, creating an unimaginable scoring force. Ottawa is also a team that will likely have a good bit of cap room, unless they go out and get an expensive d-man or if Hasek retires for good and they make a play for Khabibulin or someone of that sort.

A healthy Mario in Ottawa, and it wouldn't matter too much if Ottawa had Prusek/Hasek or Emery in nets, as they could probably score 300-350 goals as a team. As Ottawa is the only team last season to score 3 goals per game, it would be awesome if with Mario they could do even better.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:03 PM
craig1

He's not playing anywhere but Pittburgh.....

.....Even if the team were moved...which it is not going to be.....That would still be a few years off. The Pens have a lease with Mellon Arena for 2 more seasons. He would be 42/43 years old for the start of the first possible season of the Pens being somewhere else....give up the dream.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Grave77digger

Old
06-08-2005, 08:12 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
II would say he would be interrested in playing for his childhood dream and favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens.
Hate to be the one to tell you (well, not really), but his favourite team is the Pittsburgh Penguins. I think he's pretty well gotten over the fact he was a Canadiens fan 22 years ago.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:34 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Hate to be the one to tell you (well, not really), but his favourite team is the Pittsburgh Penguins. I think he's pretty well gotten over the fact he was a Canadiens fan 22 years ago.
Well the question was IF he would go to a new team because he would sell the team, the team I think he would chose is MTL. That would be the team I think he would chose IF he ever decided to left Pitsburgh. Montreal Canadiens will always have a special place in his hart trust me. Anyway it wound't be for more than one year anyway. IF Bourque played somewhere else, Mario could, altough the situation was different with him, I think you get the point. And again, like I said in my frist sentence of my first post of this threat, I don't expect Mario to leave either and would be Happy to see him hang them up with Pitsburgh when ever he wants too. Of course seeing him with a Habs jersey would be just great....but it won't happen.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

I really can't imagine Mario playing for anyone but the Penguins. If playing for the Pens is not plausible, I'd think that he'd just retire.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:14 PM
machine_head_2002

he would play for toronto no doubt. every player really really wants to be a leaf......just ask their fans.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Til the End of Time

I've heard he really wants to play for Carolina.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Shareefruck

Lemieux retiring this early is a waste. IMO, he's still capable of 100 points right now and probably around point-per-game for a couple of years.. He's just that good.

Old
06-09-2005, 05:07 AM
arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannick
mTl
Not this again. Montreal is the very last place he would be willing to play. The man absolutetely hates publicity and scrutintuy and guards his privacy. He would never be be willing to expose himself to the Montreal media. Never.

Closed Thread