HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sauer still experiencing concussion symptoms (RUMOR: Retiring? No Link)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
  #26
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sauer has bad genes. Both of his brothers saw their careers cut short with injuries. 2010-11 was the only season Sauer stayed healthy. Injuries in junior. Concussions. Hip surgeries. ACL and shoulder surgeries in the AHL. The Rangers selected him in 2005 coming off having surgeries on both hips. A birth defect and a torn labrum.
whatever his next career is, I hope it's indoors to the sound of jazz music with a pitcher of peach ice tea. I've always been weirdly positive in that we're not going to see Sauer again ever since the end of his last season of healthy hockey. In this day and age of hockey, can anyone ever recover from a concussion like this and come back and play? It's virtually requiring a medium sized miracle.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:54 PM
  #27
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Really need to get some better treatments for concussions. This "rest" thing is all they have, and it doesn't work all that well
Medicinal marijuana, supposedly the NHL is the only one of the four sports to look into it's values as treatment for head injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sauer has bad genes. Both of his brothers saw their careers cut short with injuries. 2010-11 was the only season Sauer stayed healthy. Injuries in junior. Concussions. Hip surgeries. ACL and shoulder surgeries in the AHL. The Rangers selected him in 2005 coming off having surgeries on both hips. A birth defect and a torn labrum.
Exactly why we should have never selected him. The cupboard was bare when he was selected, we had no place taking him.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  #28
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris
 
Kris Chreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC/Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,751
vCash: 500
Wait, are you serious about the wacky tobaccy being used for NHL players?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
  #29
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Wait, are you serious about the wacky tobaccy being used for NHL players?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eybPn6cLU

About 50 minutes into this doc the NHL logo is flashed as one of the groups looking into the medicinal values of marijuana.

Political controversy has harmed the actual research and good that could come from testing. I see how it benefits other head and nervous system trauma, no reason not to think it could be of help when nothing else seems to be working.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:30 PM
  #30
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
Poor guy. I suffered from post concussion symptoms for nearly 2 years when I was a teenager, sometimes it really does just take a long time to recover from.

Does he continue to receive medical services/cost coverage from the Rangers since the injury occurred while he was under contract in a game? I don't really know how that works in the NHL.
By Contract, the Rangers are obligated to pay all medical costs of the injury incured while under contract.

We all know you cant work with PCS. Will Sauer get some kind of Disablity payment from the league?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:06 PM
  #31
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
So terrible for Sauer to lose everything that he spend a lifetime working towards at such a young age with so much talent onhand & even more talent untapped.

I hope he can make it back someday, but if he can't I hope he can find peace in his life.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  #32
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eybPn6cLU

About 50 minutes into this doc the NHL logo is flashed as one of the groups looking into the medicinal values of marijuana.

Political controversy has harmed the actual research and good that could come from testing. I see how it benefits other head and nervous system trauma, no reason not to think it could be of help when nothing else seems to be working.
well I have never had a concussion so.......

ya ya causation / correlation

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
  #33
EpicDing
rongos pls
 
EpicDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Ugh, I got a minor concussion playing roller hockey with some friends about a week ago. Only just getting back to work at my retail job in a couple of days, and even then with many restrictions. I can only imagine what Sauer is going through. Hope he can get better and at least lead a normal life.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
  #34
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Medicinal marijuana, supposedly the NHL is the only one of the four sports to look into it's values as treatment for head injuries.
Yea I can tell you right now, it's not a treatment for concussions. It's a pain killer that has little to no dependency rates.

It has no potential as a treatment, but can be used to manage the symptoms. And there is nothing politically that is harming/slowing research done on it. It's just not all that effective as a pain killer

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  #35
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Yea I can tell you right now, it's not a treatment for concussions. It's a pain killer that has little to no dependency rates.

It has no potential as a treatment, but can be used to manage the symptoms. And there is nothing politically that is harming/slowing research done on it. It's just not all that effective as a pain killer
Not talking about the THC here though, talking cannabinoids. They treat the trauma, in so many words, they neutralize the 'tumour necrosis' and 'intermediates' that cause neuronal damage.

IMO, The cannabinoid-based drugs for brain trauma will be introduced into clinical treatment in the near future, once they start breaking down the silly laws that restrict the usage.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
  #36
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not talking about the THC here though, talking cannabinoids. They treat the trauma, in so many words, they neutralize the 'tumour necrosis' and 'intermediates' that cause neuronal damage.

IMO, The cannabinoid-based drugs for brain trauma will be introduced into clinical treatment in the near future, once they start breaking down the silly laws that restrict the usage.
It's not laws preventing it. It's the fact that it is far from proven clinically

What they have found is a thc like drug can help reduce swelling and improve blood flow, but only at very small incredibly difficult to control levels, and it has to be administered right after the incident( a couple hour window) to have much effect.

In other words, will likely do nothing for Sauer


Last edited by slipknottin: 07-02-2013 at 05:21 PM.
slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
  #37
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 566
Sad when you think that both brothers had solid defensive blueliner skill and size for the NHL. Both have shortened careers with injuries. Rangers have bad luck. That said, Sauer would have gone in the 1st round had he not had injury issues when being drafted.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:42 PM
  #38
The Undertaker
Registered User
 
The Undertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
He was really rounding out to be a good player, but that's way besides the point.

Hope he is able to lead a normal life and finds himself a role in the organization if a comeback can't take place.

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
  #39
Zamboner
Your move, creep.
 
Zamboner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
I loved the Sauer/McDonaugh combo. Thought both of them would improve on offense and they'd eventually split to Girardi/Mac & Sauer/Staal. What a shame. I'm actually optimistic Sauer will get to 100% again, and live a normal life, but coming back to be the player he was, or coming back at all, doesn't seem likely.

Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:57 PM
  #40
The Undertaker
Registered User
 
The Undertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner View Post
I loved the Sauer/McDonaugh combo. Thought both of them would improve on offense and they'd eventually split to Girardi/Mac & Sauer/Staal. What a shame. I'm actually optimistic Sauer will get to 100% again, and live a normal life, but coming back to be the player he was, or coming back at all, doesn't seem likely.
Geez I forgot about that.

Was really exciting to see the two kids play well together.

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:12 PM
  #41
King Henrik
Registered User
 
King Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Sauer retiring? (no link yet)

Friend said this on fb...Idk if it's true.

King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:14 PM
  #42
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,680
vCash: 300
All indications point to Sauer retiring. It's all but official.

Still holding out hope that he can make a miraculous recovery.

__________________

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  #43
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,289
vCash: 500
Sad. Really solid player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:27 PM
  #44
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,680
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sad. Really solid player.
Yup. Extremely underrated. I thought he was well on his way to becoming a high-end shutdown defender. Big, strong, willing to do anything to protect his teammates, fluid skater, efficient breakout pass, and by all accounts just a great, great guy.

All I can say is, **** you Dion Phaneuf. I don't care if it was a clean hit.

BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:36 PM
  #45
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,957
vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Yup. Extremely underrated. I thought he was well on his way to becoming a high-end shutdown defender. Big, strong, willing to do anything to protect his teammates, fluid skater, efficient breakout pass, and by all accounts just a great, great guy.

All I can say is, **** you Dion Phaneuf. I don't care if it was a clean hit.
It really was Sauer's fault, though. He should have had his helmet strap tighter, instead of trying to be cool, or whatever dumb reasons players have not to tighten it.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:38 PM
  #46
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Phaneuf will get his in the end. He plays for the Leafs.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:39 PM
  #47
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Yup. Extremely underrated. I thought he was well on his way to becoming a high-end shutdown defender. Big, strong, willing to do anything to protect his teammates, fluid skater, efficient breakout pass, and by all accounts just a great, great guy.

All I can say is, **** you Dion Phaneuf. I don't care if it was a clean hit.
agreed. Phaneuf is a helluva player and one of the top defensemen in the league. But I'm still extremely bitter at the result of that hit since Sauer was an integral part of this roster. **** Faneuf

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
  #48
Green Blob*
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Phaneuf will get his in the end. He plays for the Leafs.
Clean hit all the way. He did nothing wrong and doesnt deserve anything. It was completely unfortunate for Sauer and the team.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
  #49
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Clean hit all the way. He did nothing wrong and doesnt deserve anything. It was completely unfortunate for Sauer and the team.
Not debating that. My beef is with Phaneuf and how the Leafs organization celebrated and bragged about the hit. I find it to be in very poor taste.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:03 PM
  #50
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,086
vCash: 500
Another notch on the belt of this cursed franchise.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.