HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sauer still experiencing concussion symptoms (RUMOR: Retiring? No Link)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2013, 12:04 AM
  #51
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Not debating that. My beef is with Phaneuf and how the Leafs organization celebrated and bragged about the hit. I find it to be in very poor taste.
Shouldn't you have a beef with the Leafs and their fans instead of the player then?

On Sauer this is not a shock to me at all. He has been injured at every level of play and has never been able to stay healthy, just another wasted 2nd rounder under Sather.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:07 AM
  #52
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
agreed. Phaneuf is a helluva player and one of the top defensemen in the league. But I'm still extremely bitter at the result of that hit since Sauer was an integral part of this roster. **** Faneuf
Phaneuf is one of the top defensemen in the league? Dion Phaneuf?

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:25 AM
  #53
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Shouldn't you have a beef with the Leafs and their fans instead of the player then?

On Sauer this is not a shock to me at all. He has been injured at every level of play and has never been able to stay healthy, just another wasted 2nd rounder under Sather.
If I recall correctly, Phaneuf was far from apologetic after the fact. He should have kept his mouth shut.

Why am I being picked apart anyway? I can't be upset that a promising (albeit injury prone) player's career is coming to an early end?

So yeah, **** Phaneuf. Guy has a questionable history at best of crossing the line between physical and dirty and reckless.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:31 AM
  #54
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,367
vCash: 500
Aww damn
Best of luck to him, hope he can life a normal life. I miss him.

nyrpassion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:23 AM
  #55
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Phaneuf is one of the top defensemen in the league? Dion Phaneuf?
Yeah dude didn't you hear? His corgi is through da roof

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:23 AM
  #56
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Phaneuf is one of the top defensemen in the league? Dion Phaneuf?
Absolutely. He does everything for the Leafs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:55 AM
  #57
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,229
vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Shouldn't you have a beef with the Leafs and their fans instead of the player then?

On Sauer this is not a shock to me at all. He has been injured at every level of play and has never been able to stay healthy, just another wasted 2nd rounder under Sather.
Is this a joke? It's not like Sather could have possibly predicted this to happen.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:06 AM
  #58
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
i am pretty quick to call a hit dirty and a player disrespectful of his fellow professional. but in this case, the hit was fine. phaneuf was hitting the puck holder. not late and not particularly high. didnt hit sauer's head into the glass or anything. just very bad luck here.
the father's reaction was cheap and angering. but he's probably an uneducated dull man. and if you asked him now, he'd probably feel bad about it. i don't know about phaneuf's reaction at the time, but if his father is anything to go-by, i'd expect it was poor as well.
but, as for the hit, i'd say it was ok. and as for the injury, it was sad bad luck and i hope sauer gets better soon.


Last edited by egelband: 07-13-2013 at 02:11 AM.
egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:07 AM
  #59
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
agreed. Phaneuf is a helluva player and one of the top defensemen in the league. But I'm still extremely bitter at the result of that hit since Sauer was an integral part of this roster. **** Faneuf
I'm bitter too and Sauer was definitely an integral part of our future, but with all due respect everything else with your statement is wrong.

I live in Calgary, watched Phaneuf live many, many nights. Very overrated. Very.

Would never want him on our team, if he were, maybe bottom 2. Watch him as much as I have, and you'll know why.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:59 AM
  #60
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Phaneuf is one of the top defensemen in the league? Dion Phaneuf?
He has the hottest wife in the league though

__________________
There are two types of people in this world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data;
Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:44 AM
  #61
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
The guy is an excellent defenseman with a ton of potential. however, i'm happy he's walking away from the game while he still can.

I have a ton of respect for the guy - I've always been a fan and i'll always continue to question -- 'what if.'

I havn't posted on here a lot lately buy a guy like Sauer was just a stand up guy and I wish him the best whatever he does and where ever he goes.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:02 AM
  #62
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,278
vCash: 500
Besides Phaneuf, Sauer deserves some blame. He didn't have his helmet on tightly. Straps were loose.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:16 PM
  #63
JoeGarelli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Besides Phaneuf, Sauer deserves some blame. He didn't have his helmet on tightly. Straps were loose.


i want to say, ive seen this posted around.. and its wrong, i believe sauer was asked about this and the strap broke .. the strap was on tightly.. players helmets are always coming off.. look at pictures of sauer playing, his chin strap is fine.. they are held on by small pieces of plastic..

this was not dirty or cheap, just the worst possible condition for a hit.. helmet off, hits dasher, hits ice.. sauer was a stud...

and phanuef is quite a bit of a joke.. clown..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71FqkDMV1c

JoeGarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
  #64
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
I also remember that it was mentioned that the strap on Sauer's helmut broke.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:03 PM
  #65
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGarelli View Post
i want to say, ive seen this posted around.. and its wrong, i believe sauer was asked about this and the strap broke .. the strap was on tightly.. players helmets are always coming off.. look at pictures of sauer playing, his chin strap is fine.. they are held on by small pieces of plastic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71FqkDMV1c
Exactly - if anything the helmet is worn by most NHLers a bit looser than it should be. Instead of being snugged up they have it adjusted to slide on like an old worn hat.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
  #66
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Is this a joke? It's not like Sather could have possibly predicted this to happen.
Stop defending the guy that wasted the first on Staal. Staal's stupid eye retroactively made that pick horrendous.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:30 PM
  #67
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Is this a joke? It's not like Sather could have possibly predicted this to happen.
I remember when we used to rank Sauer in the prospect lists I would say lets trade this guy before something like this happened. He was a walking injury his whole career, I'm no NHL GM or scout yet I somehow knew this was more likely to happen at some point in his career......too bad for the Rangers it happened so early.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
  #68
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Stop defending the guy that wasted the first on Staal. Staal's stupid eye retroactively made that pick horrendous.
Did Staal have a laundry list of injuries coming into the draft? Were his brothers retired early from hockey because of injuries? Stop making it sound like there were zero warning signs about Sauer and his injury problems.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:21 AM
  #69
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Did Staal have a laundry list of injuries coming into the draft? Were his brothers retired early from hockey because of injuries? Stop making it sound like there were zero warning signs about Sauer and his injury problems.
Having a list of various injuries coming in is not predictive that the guy would have a career ending concussion at age 23.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
  #70
SauceCheese91
Registered User
 
SauceCheese91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Absolutely. He does everything for the Leafs.
LOL, Phaneuf is one of the most over rated players in the league. I take it you don't watch alot of Leaf games, there is a reason most Leaf fans want nothing to do with the guy. Can't skate, low hockey IQ, which are 2 terrible things for a D man.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:20 PM
  #71
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
Ugh, I got a minor concussion playing roller hockey with some friends about a week ago. Only just getting back to work at my retail job in a couple of days, and even then with many restrictions. I can only imagine what Sauer is going through. Hope he can get better and at least lead a normal life.
OT, but where do you play? I play as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Phaneuf is one of the top defensemen in the league? Dion Phaneuf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceCheese91 View Post
LOL, Phaneuf is one of the most over rated players in the league. I take it you don't watch alot of Leaf games, there is a reason most Leaf fans want nothing to do with the guy. Can't skate, low hockey IQ, which are 2 terrible things for a D man.
Classic Kershaw.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
  #72
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I'm bitter too and Sauer was definitely an integral part of our future, but with all due respect everything else with your statement is wrong.

I live in Calgary, watched Phaneuf live many, many nights. Very overrated. Very.

Would never want him on our team, if he were, maybe bottom 2. Watch him as much as I have, and you'll know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceCheese91 View Post
LOL, Phaneuf is one of the most over rated players in the league. I take it you don't watch alot of Leaf games, there is a reason most Leaf fans want nothing to do with the guy. Can't skate, low hockey IQ, which are 2 terrible things for a D man.
considering he leads their team in total TOI/PG, SH TOI/PG, PP TOI/PG and plays the toughest oppoisition in the league, I'd say Leafs fans would be legitimately scared if anything happened to him.

Phaneuf is greatly under appreciated.

There isn't a player in the league that is mostly relied upon by its team than Phaneuf is with the Leafs. He is their thoroughbred and probably a lottery team without him holding up that garbage defense.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  #73
SauceCheese91
Registered User
 
SauceCheese91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
considering he leads their team in total TOI/PG, SH TOI/PG, PP TOI/PG and plays the toughest oppoisition in the league, I'd say Leafs fans would be legitimately scared if anything happened to him.

Phaneuf is greatly under appreciated.

There isn't a player in the league that is mostly relied upon by its team than Phaneuf is with the Leafs. He is their thoroughbred and probably a lottery team without him holding up that garbage defense.
You are clearly a stats guy, like I said, watch some games and you will see how "good" Phaneuf is. The guy is an absolute pylon and so over rated. I've been to a number of Leaf games (7 last year) and all of my friends are Leaf fans, trust me, he is a bum. Your posts get funnier by the day I swear.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:35 PM
  #74
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
considering he leads their team in total TOI/PG, SH TOI/PG, PP TOI/PG and plays the toughest oppoisition in the league, I'd say Leafs fans would be legitimately scared if anything happened to him.

Phaneuf is greatly under appreciated.

There isn't a player in the league that is mostly relied upon by its team than Phaneuf is with the Leafs. He is their thoroughbred and probably a lottery team without him holding up that garbage defense.
He's asked to do everything because he's the best defenseman on the team. He would be a 2 or 3 on almost every good team in the league. Can't fault him for being the best player on a mediocre defense.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.