HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your rating of Canucks local youth development programs

Old
08-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Ziostilon

vCash: 500
Your rating of Canucks local youth development programs

Not even sure what type of programs the Vancouver Canucks organization currently partake in, in the province of BC.

There is Coaching Day in BC. Anybody been to the event, and was it worthwhile?

Generally, do you think the Canucks do enough with the resources they have at their disposal to grow hockey at the grassroots level in the province of British Columbia. Consequently, one-day developing this top tier talent for the NHL

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:25 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Short answer... No

Actual answer... No. Why should they spend money and resources developing local talent if other teams gain to benefit from it? Now if the Canucks had exclusive rights to X number of BC bred players then it would make some sense. Otherwise they would just be developing players for other teams.

settinguptheplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:33 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
Short answer... No

Actual answer... No. Why should they spend money and resources developing local talent if other teams gain to benefit from it? Now if the Canucks had exclusive rights to X number of BC bred players then it would make some sense. Otherwise they would just be developing players for other teams.
Well if we're talking about growing hockey in BC at the grassroots level as the OP mentioned, then maybe they take it on as a charitable thing, as the Canucks do in many areas. A way of building hockey in communities around Greater Vancouver and BC that couldn't necessarily afford it otherwise.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Well if we're talking about growing hockey in BC at the grassroots level as the OP mentioned, then maybe they take it on as a charitable thing, as the Canucks do in many areas. A way of building hockey in communities around Greater Vancouver and BC that couldn't necessarily afford it otherwise.
At the expense of the other charities they are involved in or support?

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Wisp

Canucks Hockey School

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Ziostilon

Why do the Edmonton Oilers have the Oil Kings develop players like Mark Pysk only to have Buffalo draft them.

This is North America not Europe. The Canucks are a franchise of the NHL. It's for the greater good.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:53 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Lets be honest here. The NHL is business first. Infact it is big business. If the Canucks are doing charity work I am sure they would choose something other than helping develop players whom may never play for them. And in many cases end up playing against them. Doing something for the "greater good" rarely fits into a capitalist agenda. Unless the greater good is for their own benefit. It is a cold hard reality.

I ask this not to be a smart azz but because I really don't know the answer.... But what do the Oilers have to do with the Oil Kings? Do the Oilers directly fund them? Are they owned by the same person? What assets do the Oilers give the Oil Kings to further develop their players?

But to answer the question. The Oil Kings develop a player like Pysk because it helps them. The Oil Kings want to win too.

settinguptheplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Ziostilon

Yes the Oil Kings are also owned by Darryl Katz

How is this charity work. Dallas Stars started a hockey movement in Texas. Think Sena Acolatse, also came up from the San Jose Sharks youth programs. The Nashville Predators have their own local youth programs.

Actually one of the statements in the constitution of the NHL (if i remember correctly) was about growing the game.

Old
08-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Doobie Dubois

What's the point. There's so many good programs and coaching out there it would barely make a difference even if they were more involved. Kinda stupid to be complaining about a lack of involvement.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Yes the Oil Kings are also owned by Darryl Katz

How is this charity work. Dallas Stars started a hockey movement in Texas. Think Sena Acolatse, also came up from the San Jose Sharks youth programs. The Nashville Predators have their own local youth programs.

Actually one of the statements in the constitution of the NHL (if i remember correctly) was about growing the game.
Lol come on man lets get serious here. We're talking about Canada vs America here. Does the game need to be grown any more in Canada? This is insane. Ya I understand Nashville doing it because they're trying to create more predators fans in a non hockey market, but Canada? Quit wasting your time on this subject. This isn't making any sense.

Old
08-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Ziostilon

^^ i see where you're coming from.

maybe one thing they could do, and think they have done is provide kids with opportunities to play hockey where otherwise their family could not afford to.

Old
08-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
^^ i see where you're coming from.

maybe one thing they could do, and think they have done is provide kids with opportunities to play hockey where otherwise their family could not afford to.
Ya they could do something similar to right to play, but they also put a lot of time and money into the Canucks for kids fund, which is a lot more important.

Old
08-19-2013, 10:48 PM
dc

During the lockout of 05/06 I saw Marc Crawford in my hometown on the North Island leaving the rink when some of the staff were doing a coaching tour for minor hockey all over B.C. It's not really developmental when it's at the recreational level, but it's a good way to give back to the communities that support the organization. I'd like to see more of that.

A lot of local players in small towns in B.C. hold hockey camps for charity. I think that helps grow the game for a great cause.

dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:09 AM
PG Canuck
Thatcher DemkGOAT

vCash: 53
I see no problem with it. Programs like this help keep kids in the game of hockey/sports and out of trouble on the streets etc. Canada is hockey-first, but there are still ways to expand hockey growth across BC IMO, and these programs do that. It's more about the kids and getting them into the game of hockey, than developing local talent so NHL teams can pounce on them, but then again money is involved.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Win One Before I Die
Cautious Optimism

There are a lot of good systems already in place without the Canucks.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote