HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TJ Galiardi Traded To Calgary For 2015 4th Draft Pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
  #251
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 47,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
im not really letting is slide, but i cant grade him until the season starts.

and actually until we see what hertl is all about.

he still needs to sign pavs to an extension as well.

too many unknowns early in this offseason. but right now it looks like we just shuffled some players out for crappy draft picks.
I can grade him on this trade mostly because of the things that were given up to get him in the first place. We've essentially dumped McGinn and a decent prospect for a 4th round pick at this point...and what did we get out of Winnik and Galiardi? Nothing that warranted the cost to get them.

I'm sure Hertl will compete and be a contributor but this trade was not needed because of his potential emergence. Whoever they decide to bring in, and I have to believe this move was done for that purpose only, will determine if dumping Galiardi was worth it. But it'll be pretty tough unless it's someone like Lecavalier to show it was worth dumping Galiardi and McGinn and Sgarbossa.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
  #252
Evincar
I have found the way
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
Who knows. The Hawks aren't as deep of a team as they were this year after having to trade Bolland, Frolik and likely losing Stalberg.
Those players are replaceable. The Hawks arent afraid of playing their young players. Saad and Shaw will continue to get better.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:34 PM
  #253
Sandisfan
Registered User
 
Sandisfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
Who knows. The Hawks aren't as deep of a team as they were this year after having to trade Bolland, Frolik and likely losing Stalberg.
The Hawks have a better set of assets to either bring up or trade for, not so much for the Sharks.

Sandisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
  #254
SJSharks42
Registered User
 
SJSharks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
He has proven chemistry with Brent Burns and Joe Thornton. Thornton praised how play before game 6, saying he was unlucky and the bounces would start going his way eventually. He played great near the end of the year and we were all praising his puck retrieval. He was a big reason why the 21-19-88 line was so dominant.
Oh please. TJ was only good at retrieving ppucks on that line. His hands suck, he can't stay on his skates, and the only thing he was great at was diving to get PP's. We have no idea who will be playing with Thornton and Burns next season so we can't really discuss chemistry yet. No way of knowing how TK will fit on the team but it's great you've already decided to cry over the loss of a replaceable player.

SJSharks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:36 PM
  #255
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm not seeing any evidence of Galiardi being better than Kennedy in here...
Galiardi had proven chemistry with Burns and Thornton. He looked great with them but was very unlucky. I don't know what more to say. He was great and worth much more than a 4th.

I'm sick of the organization doing the classy thing too, if they could have gotten a 2nd for him by sending him to The team with the worst GM and bleakest future a bad team not in his hometown, it's a stupider move. It's not like free agenda sign here anyway.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:36 PM
  #256
Evincar
I have found the way
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Kennedy is a pretty big upgrade. Hes suited for a third line role and has produced in that role in the regular season and playoffs. T.J. hasn't produced anything unless its with big time offensive players. T.J. is useful and does a lot of good things but TK can do those things but also pop 15 goals year.
Yep he has but the problem is that he's probably going to play in the top 6 on this team.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM
  #257
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm not seeing any evidence of Galiardi being better than Kennedy in here...
You just have to take his word for it. He is the Great 88 after all.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
  #258
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Kennedy is a pretty big upgrade. Hes suited for a third line role and has produced in that role in the regular season and playoffs. T.J. hasn't produced anything unless its with big time offensive players. T.J. is useful and does a lot of good things but TK can do those things but also pop 15 goals year.
This. TJ fit OK (but not great) in a very unique role in the top 6 with Burns and Thornton, but Kennedy is a proven scoring 3rd liner which is what we need. In terms of scoring (reg. season & PO) Kennedy scored at a career .45/.36 PPG pace, whereas TJ was at a .39/.20 PPG pace.

Mattb124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
  #259
Sandisfan
Registered User
 
Sandisfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
Honestly, I think this trade points to one of 2 things:

1) Havlat is going to really be out most of the year, so we have a fair amount of cap room to work with, and DW is going to sign some kind of FA or trade for someone. (hell, maybe he really WILL do that Demers for Seto trade)

2) Havlat's recovery time is going to be better than anticipated, and we'll have a (hopefully HEALTHY for a change) Havlat for most of the year.

Now, I realize those are utterly mutually exclusive, but I can't see a different scenario that makes sense. I would expect it's been long enough by now for DW to get a decent recovery estimate from the doctors, so he may well be planning his top-9 based on information we simply don't have.

Still, this was a bit of a head scratcher.
I agree that you're speculation is possible but there is also a history that says he could come back 20 or 30 games into the season and get hurt for another 10 or so games. Heck he could even miss most of the season and push to get in games before the playoffs and get hurt again. Havlat's an enigma wrapped in a riddle stuffed in a cast..


Last edited by Sandisfan: 07-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Sandisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
  #260
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 68,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Yep he has but the problem is that he's probably going to play in the top 6 on this team.
I think DW wants to run Torres-Pavs-TK. Wingels could do T.J's job on Jumbo's line. I think Hertl will slot in with Marleau/Cooch. At least its how I envision it.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
  #261
Evincar
I have found the way
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I think DW wants to run Torres-Pavs-TK. Wingels could do T.J's job on Jumbo's line. I think Hertl will slot in with Marleau/Cooch. At least its how I envision it.
Only because Havlat's out. A guy like Wingels should not be in the top 6.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
  #262
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 47,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I think DW wants to run Torres-Pavs-TK. Wingels could do T.J's job on Jumbo's line. I think Hertl will slot in with Marleau/Cooch. At least its how I envision it.
Wingels can't do what T.J. could. He's not quick enough to force turnovers. Likely, either they make a move for someone else or Burns goes to F1 and Pavelski moves up to Thornton's wing.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
  #263
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 10,107
vCash: 500
Let's assume DW does sign one of MacArthur / Stalberg / Filppula for $3.5-4m. Then the question is at what point can Havlat be brought back with cap issues? I'll need to crunch the numbers but around the half way point of the season?

I'm sure DW will use the LTIR route. It's set up for him to do so...

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:47 PM
  #264
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 47,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Let's assume DW does sign one of MacArthur / Stalberg / Filppula for $3.5-4m. Then the question is at what point can Havlat be brought back with cap issues? I'll need to crunch the numbers but around the half way point of the season?

I'm sure DW will use the LTIR route. It's set up for him to do so...
He'd have to be injured at least through the regular season to use the bulk of that LTIR. There's no banked savings through the LTIR. It's only when you go over the upper limit that it helps.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
  #265
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 34,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Those players are replaceable. The Hawks arent afraid of playing their young players. Saad and Shaw will continue to get better.
Those three players are also better than Galiardi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Let's assume DW does sign one of MacArthur / Stalberg / Filppula for $3.5-4m. Then the question is at what point can Havlat be brought back with cap issues? I'll need to crunch the numbers but around the half way point of the season?

I'm sure DW will use the LTIR route. It's set up for him to do so...
Trade deadline, no?

And @88: you haven't even made an argument for Galiardi being better than Kennedy still. I agree that TJ had chemistry with JT/Burns, but he's a replaceable player.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
  #266
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Let's assume DW does sign one of MacArthur / Stalberg / Filppula for $3.5-4m. Then the question is at what point can Havlat be brought back with cap issues? I'll need to crunch the numbers but around the half way point of the season?

I'm sure DW will use the LTIR route. It's set up for him to do so...
I'm curious about this too. Seems like the logical path to take as the line up has a serious hole without him.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
  #267
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 68,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Only because Havlat's out. A guy like Wingels should not be in the top 6.
obviously. If Havlat was healthy it'd be a different line up.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
  #268
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: sv/ca
Country: United States
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks42 View Post
Oh please. TJ was only good at retrieving ppucks on that line. His hands suck, he can't stay on his skates, and the only thing he was great at was diving to get PP's. We have no idea who will be playing with Thornton and Burns next season so we can't really discuss chemistry yet. No way of knowing how TK will fit on the team but it's great you've already decided to cry over the loss of a replaceable player.
This. I don't know why people were so high on TJ. I'm happy we get to see someone else with JT and Burns (assuming they stay together).

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
  #269
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 47,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I'm curious about this too. Seems like the logical path to take as the line up has a serious hole without him.
If they expect him back healthy prior to the regular season ending, they will only go over the amount that the easiest roster player that can be moved out makes...likely someone like Tomas Hertl and his 1.3 mil cap hit.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
  #270
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 68,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Wingels can't do what T.J. could. He's not quick enough to force turnovers. Likely, either they make a move for someone else or Burns goes to F1 and Pavelski moves up to Thornton's wing.
We'll agree to disagree on Wingels. I thought he was pretty effective forechecking on the Pavs/Torres line

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:53 PM
  #271
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I can grade him on this trade mostly because of the things that were given up to get him in the first place. We've essentially dumped McGinn and a decent prospect for a 4th round pick at this point...and what did we get out of Winnik and Galiardi? Nothing that warranted the cost to get them.

I'm sure Hertl will compete and be a contributor but this trade was not needed because of his potential emergence. Whoever they decide to bring in, and I have to believe this move was done for that purpose only, will determine if dumping Galiardi was worth it. But it'll be pretty tough unless it's someone like Lecavalier to show it was worth dumping Galiardi and McGinn and Sgarbossa.
i agree with the top, i dont think mcginn wouldve made the difference personally though. losing sgarbossa/connolly could bite us, though

that 2011/12 team was garbage, i think DW lacked foresight that year in general on what the team was capable of. i was hopefuly of getting past the first round, but i know a lot of people predicted a first round exit.

if hertl gets 20 points he already was worth more than galiardi. but yea it sucks that we didnt get more long term value out of that trade with the avs. winnik is a good player.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
  #272
vilpertti
Registered User
 
vilpertti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
He has proven chemistry with Brent Burns and Joe Thornton.
Grant Stevenson had great chemistry with Joe Thornton.

I'm sure you have to google now.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
  #273
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,499
vCash: 1040
He re-signed already for 1.25m...

Wtf? Either the Sharks really didn't like him, or he really didn't want to be here.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
  #274
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,991
vCash: 500
I'm happy we got rid of TJ, he'll get a chance to play and find his real NHL game and some constancy. DP had it right as he just did not appear to fit in well with the team, and he wanted bigger bucks than our cap and team could take. Best of luck to him.

With all due respect, i'm amazed at so many of you that think so highly of him as a player in the NHL. While I like him as a player, i consider him somewhat of a project player.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
  #275
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 68,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
He re-signed already for 1.25m...

Wtf? Either the Sharks really didn't like him, or he really didn't want to be here.
DW told him there would be no room in the top 9 for him but traded him where he wanted to go.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.