HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Buffalo-Vancouver

Old
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Dixon

vCash: 500
Classic Hockey's Futrure pissing contest. Clearly this is not enough to get Edler but it is not crap either. Ennis and probably a high 2nd ain't to bad. If Vancouver were looking to move him, another nice piece would probably get it done.

Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
DJN21

Again not trying to say Edler is worse etc but I think they are incredibly close players and find Canuck's fans reactions to be a little more armchair coach-ish than stat driven...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Fictional Realism
What is going on?

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Again not trying to say Edler is worse etc but I think they are incredibly close players and find Canuck's fans reactions to be a little more armchair coach-ish than stat driven...
No we have an absolute, direct comparison. These guys played on the same team and same pairing for an entire year. Trust us, we've seen a lot of both and how they play together. And they are both pretty much the same players they are now as they were in 2011.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Look it up...we've had both, you've only had one.

Most Canucks fans loathed (and still do) losing Ehrhoff. We like him ALOT.

Stat driven...I've provided you stats. Maybe it's about usage? Maybe Ehrhoff was better than Edler defensively, but NHL coaches who had both, thought using Edler against tougher matchups was better for the team, while allowing the smoother skater with IMO less defensive ability to matchup and thus exploit easier matchups.

Like I said before, you want Edler, see what Brent Burns went for (as a UFA received) and better it, because a 27 year old signed to below market value through his prime (dman's prime generally is the 27-33 yr age) is worth a helluva lot.

So young top 9 forward (Setoguchi had 30 goal seasons under his belt...equivalent to Ennis I guess) + top prospect (Charlie Coyle) + 1st. All that for one year of Brent Burns (not 6).

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ehrhoff's 1st year in Vancouver he was played almost solely on the 3rd pairing in sheltered circumstances....look it up. His most frequent partner 5 on 5 was Shane O'Brien.

Edler had to face better competition, he was asked to face tougher competition....why? Because the coaching staff thought he was significantly better than Ehrhoff in that role.

*I'm not trying to slight Ehrhoff either, because I'd love to have him back.

Just defensively he isn't as good as Edler. 2010-2011 playoffs, Edler was asked to play almost 2 minutes more per game. Ehrhoff -13, Edler -4.

In terms of skating the puck and moving it, I'd actually say Ehrhoff has more natural skills, but Edler is better and has the potential to be even better.
Are you referring to the year that Ehrhoff recorded a +36 to Edler's 0(even)?? Inferring chrsitian is indeed worse defensively and playing with your #6 dman this seems a poor season to try and prove much of a point with...

Old
07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Are you referring to the year that Ehrhoff recorded a +36 to Edler's 0(even)?? Inferring chrsitian is indeed worse defensively and playing with your #6 dman this seems a poor season to try and prove much of a point with...
I'm out. Conversation is going nowhere.

You don't even want Edler, so what's the point.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm out. Conversation is going nowhere.

You don't even want Edler, so what's the point.
Lol Id love Edler I disagree with the OP on value idt thats near what Edler would fetch.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Ron C.

vCash: 370
Edler is a good player. He would upgrade us in the interim. I would not trade future assets for him. I guess end of thread.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Nuke

Sabres offer Vanek for Edler.

Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Looking past the fact that Edler has played the last 2 years(his best) in a sheltered Nucks environment compared to Ehrhoff's in Buffalo I would like to point out that

a. Ehrhoff is by far superior defensively even with edler having the physical edge.

b. Their Points per game for their careers is nearly identical .02 difference? Hmmm much better?

c. Their shooting percentages are also nearly identical (.6 difference) even with Christian having a much better slapshot.

d. Edler's worth as a scorer has come nearly solely as a PP shooter in fact he averages like 60% of his goals on the PP

not trying to nitpick as I think they are neck and neck as players as Edler is a special player but anyoneclaiming edler is light years away from Ehrhoff is being a homer. Age is the only thing separating these two. That and the fact that Ehrhoff's contract is slightly better as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Sabres offer Vanek for Edler.
If Edler is being traded is likely for younger assets, we would be looking for a similar package to what Brent Burns & Jordan Staal returned.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Oh yeah and this proposal is terrible for Vancouver, easily declined.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:48 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Oh yeah and this proposal is terrible for Vancouver, easily declined.
thats fine Buffalo passes too...

Old
07-03-2013, 01:59 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

If Edler is being traded is likely for younger assets, we would be looking for a similar package to what Brent Burns & Jordan Staal returned.
another among the masses who doesn't wanna show stats to why the 2 dmen are equal? OP's trade is wayyyy off as a Sabres fan but really?

Old
07-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
Quote:
another among the masses who doesn't wanna show stats to why the 2 dmen are equal? OP's trade is wayyyy off as a Sabres fan but really?
Again go read the Canucks board from 2009-2011, Edler was and is regarded as the Canucks #1 while Ehrhoff was 3/4 with Bieksa. If we take fellow fans opinions Edler was ranked #13 D-Man on the HFBoards list while Ehrhoff was around 30th. Canucks fans have watched both players play much more than you have are judgement is likely better in the situation. No point is arguing with a guy who thinks Ennis+Prospect+2nd is more valuable than Edler though, you clearly have failed to watch him play.

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:04 AM
eklunds source

Ehrhoff is quietly terrific and probably better than Edler at this point, though Edler brings a very different toolset to the table and can do things that impact the game in ways Ehrhoff can't - example:

This trade is awful; Edler is by far the best piece and Ennis is pretty overrated. Count me among the group that was not surprised his shooting percentage was cut in half from his "breakout" year; he managed an extra 26 shots in 1 game less this year so you can't say there isn't progress but I doubt he scores more than 55 points next year. Edler may reach that himself.

Last edited by eklunds source: 07-03-2013 at 02:33 AM.
eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Yup, we aren't looking to get rid of him, we might be willing to move him if an offer entices us enough to do so, but otherwise we will happily keep him.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:16 AM
YouCantYandleThis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Given that Gillis seems to be making trades simply to avoid buyouts (Luongo, now Ballard) this is probably far too much than Gillis would get in a trade.

Regier would bend him over, just as Lams did.
The ******** is hard to see through.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote