HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie as good as gone - Brownlee

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2003, 05:47 PM
  #1
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Comrie as good as gone - Brownlee

If you like reading mindless nonsense check out this article by Robin Brownlee.
http://canoe.ca/Slam030926/col_brownlee-sun.html
Brownlee seems to have decided that no matter what Comrie can't play for the Oilers and that everyone (Lowe, Winter) is lying about contract talks and trades.
This article contains no facts and appears to have been written as a filler because Brownlee has nothing of interest to report from Jasper. The headline, while attention grabbing, is unsubstantiated by any facts within the article. The lack of facts raises the question as to how this article ever got printed.
Or maybe the article is editorial comment, after all you don't need any facts to put forward an opinion - all you need to do is take a position, hopefully one that sells paper, and print whatever you want. The editorial board probably read the article, declared in nonsense, and sent it back to sports. After all, they appear to have no standards.
I'm not taking a position on Comrie playing or not. What I am saying is that people like Brownlee are a problem for fans and the Oilers. If only the Oilers would take a stand with the Sun and have his access to the Oilers revoked.

 
Old
09-26-2003, 05:54 PM
  #2
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,385
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
If you like reading mindless nonsense check out this article by Robin Brownlee.
http://canoe.ca/Slam030926/col_brownlee-sun.html
Brownlee seems to have decided that no matter what Comrie can't play for the Oilers and that everyone (Lowe, Winter) is lying about contract talks and trades.
This article contains no facts and appears to have been written as a filler because Brownlee has nothing of interest to report from Jasper. The headline, while attention grabbing, is unsubstantiated by any facts within the article. The lack of facts raises the question as to how this article ever got printed.
Or maybe the article is editorial comment, after all you don't need any facts to put forward an opinion - all you need to do is take a position, hopefully one that sells paper, and print whatever you want. The editorial board probably read the article, declared in nonsense, and sent it back to sports. After all, they appear to have no standards.
I'm not taking a position on Comrie playing or not. What I am saying is that people like Brownlee are a problem for fans and the Oilers. If only the Oilers would take a stand with the Sun and have his access to the Oilers revoked.
Brownlee probably knows a few details more about the situation than we do, and the majority of posters here believe Mike is on the move. In my opinion, Lowe just loves this kind of stuff because it makes trading Comrie easier for the organization - it eliminates the backlash.

Betcha Lowe likes the article as much as you hate it.

Yosemite Sam is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:00 PM
  #3
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Talk at the end of last season was Comrie was so unhappy about being criticized publicly after the Oilers were eliminated from the playoffs by the Dallas Stars, he was questioning his desire to play in Edmonton. He spent all summer in Los Angeles.
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Don't bother telling us that he went there to see one of the fitness trainers in North America.

Quote:
Betcha Lowe likes the article as much as you hate it.


You could be right, Brownlee would be all but locking himself out of the Oilers lockerroom if MC was to come back now. He needs Lowe in his corner bigtime to go on a limb like this.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:41 PM
  #4
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Brownlee is free to voice his opinion, and he does so with words to back up his personal theories. He's on the inside, or at least a lot more on the inside than the fan is. Who's to say he doesn't have some insight that he just can't go public with without jeoporadizing his relationships with people inside the organization.

Put it this way, I spent two periods of the UofA game in a booth with two other media guys, talking with Kevin Lowe and I haven't heard more than 5% of those conversations come out in the news.

Things are said that don't get reported and many times, those things are reported but credited to "sources".

If I have "sources" already and material in my possession that I haven't released publicly... don't you think Brownlee would have a bazillion times more info than I do???

If there's one thing I'm learning it's not to judge or criticize anyone else in the media for what they say because that spotlight could just as easily be shone on me next time.

I'm the guy who's stuck his neck out first for Ty Conklin, and now for Peter Sarno and Alexei Mikhnov. Am I on crack now too?

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:43 PM
  #5
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
The way I see it, Brownlee's a thoroughly average hockey reporter but he's no fool either. IMO he doesn't come out with an article as brazen as this without knowing there's a 99% chance Comrie's not coming back.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:50 PM
  #6
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
...he's no fool either. IMO he doesn't come out with an article as brazen as this without knowing there's a 99% chance Comrie's not coming back.
And BINGO was his name-o!

(that means I agree.)

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:08 PM
  #7
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
And BINGO was his name-o!

(that means I agree.)
I'm a fan of your work, Guy, but if you're going to be a media bigshot, you'll need a cooler catch-phrase than that.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:11 PM
  #8
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
And BINGO was his name-o!

(that means I agree.)
It also means that you're a grade-A SQUARE!

j/k, of course.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:24 PM
  #9
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Brownlee is free to voice his opinion, and he does so with words to back up his personal theories. He's on the inside, or at least a lot more on the inside than the fan is. Who's to say he doesn't have some insight that he just can't go public with without jeoporadizing his relationships with people inside the organization.

Put it this way, I spent two periods of the UofA game in a booth with two other media guys, talking with Kevin Lowe and I haven't heard more than 5% of those conversations come out in the news.

Things are said that don't get reported and many times, those things are reported but credited to "sources".

If I have "sources" already and material in my possession that I haven't released publicly... don't you think Brownlee would have a bazillion times more info than I do???

If there's one thing I'm learning it's not to judge or criticize anyone else in the media for what they say because that spotlight could just as easily be shone on me next time.

I'm the guy who's stuck his neck out first for Ty Conklin, and now for Peter Sarno and Alexei Mikhnov. Am I on crack now too?
With all due respect guy, you know what side your bread is buttered on. You're not an impartial observer in this at all.

Brownlee's spouting crap like "That was just pure spin on Winter's part" and the last time I checked he wasn't god, so he can't possibly know what is inside of Rich Winter's head. Now he is twisting Mike Comrie's trip to LA into something sinister when Sean Horcoff made the exact same trip for the past two seasons. Is he trying to get out of here too?

I'm not guaranteeing that Comrie doesn't want out, but Brownlee is making ridiculous and irresponsible statements and skewing the information he lets out in his worthless articles to paint a very ugly picture of Mike Comrie.


And now why would you go and claim that you were the first person here on Peter Sarno's bandwagon?

Not one other person on these boards had Sarno's name on any of their depth charts over the summer including yours guy, that's just plain wrong of you to say that.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:37 PM
  #10
Malmo_Mike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Some times I punch and rap
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
I personally don't want to see Comrie go...but I'm really starting to think that there is a very good chance of that happening. Even if he does sign we're going to see the exact same thing that we saw with Poti and Arnott. Unless he comes back and starts racking up the points he is not going to a very popular guy here in Edmonton.

Malmo_Mike is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 08:46 PM
  #11
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
The commentary in the Journal today sounded very opposite of the Brownlee article, and seemed to just hint at fairly normal negotiation proceedings in a tough contract. How many times before has "we're talking and continue to talk" been the answer from this kind of thing? All the time. I really think Brownlee overstepped his bounds with this one. I'm alot more inclined to put weight in what Matheson said before, and has not altered from.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 08:59 PM
  #12
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The commentary in the Journal today sounded very opposite of the Brownlee article, and seemed to just hint at fairly normal negotiation proceedings in a tough contract. How many times before has "we're talking and continue to talk" been the answer from this kind of thing? All the time. I really think Brownlee overstepped his bounds with this one. I'm alot more inclined to put weight in what Matheson said before, and has not altered from.
Brownlee is an embarassment to reporters everywhere. I have a problem with his early criticism of Hemsky last season when Chimera nailed him. He essentially said Hemsky wasn't ready for the physical play of the NHL. Clearly, he was way off. I would really love to see Mike resigned, just to make Brownlee look like an even bigger putz than he already does!

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:00 PM
  #13
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Put it this way, I spent two periods of the UofA game in a booth with two other media guys, talking with Kevin Lowe and I haven't heard more than 5% of those conversations come out in the news.
Hey wait, I think I've got it figured out.

GuyF is Robin Brownlee.

how does your average Oiler fan gain access to media booths, sports directors, and players???

mmm...interesting

I say Comrie stays and we trade Brownlee ("and/or GuyF") to Toronto for a hot pretzel with mustard.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:02 PM
  #14
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Yosemite Sam]Brownlee probably knows a few details more about the situation than we do...QUOTE]

are you kidding? he gets his material from message boards like this...he says so in the article.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:07 PM
  #15
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The way I see it, Brownlee's a thoroughly average hockey reporter but he's no fool either. IMO he doesn't come out with an article as brazen as this without knowing there's a 99% chance Comrie's not coming back.
Exactly and I think he mentions in that article that it will happen sooner rather than later.

I believe he does know something but as Guy says has to be careful how he reports it.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:56 PM
  #16
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,385
vCash: 1050
[QUOTE=Joe Oilfan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Brownlee probably knows a few details more about the situation than we do...QUOTE]

are you kidding? he gets his material from message boards like this...he says so in the article.
Dude. I'm sure he must get ideas from the brainiacs around here, but I'm also sure he knows a little bit more about what's going on in the organization than you and me know.

But feel free to share all the inside knowledge you have, my friend. That's what this board is for.

Yosemite Sam is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:41 PM
  #17
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
And now why would you go and claim that you were the first person here on Peter Sarno's bandwagon?

Not one other person on these boards had Sarno's name on any of their depth charts over the summer including yours guy, that's just plain wrong of you to say that.
Sorry, I should have specified what I meant. Me being the first guy to stick his neck out for Sarno was... as a media guy. I haven't heard or read anywhere else that Sarno has a shot of making this team from any other media people. I said it on the radio yesterday and Jason Gregor was really surprised.

And you're right over the summer I didn't really give him much chance. It wasn't until the Prendergast interview (the 1st one) that I even considered him. But since camp opened I have been, even wrote about him (and Henrich and Horacek) early on in camp.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:45 PM
  #18
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
Hey wait, I think I've got it figured out.

GuyF is Robin Brownlee.

how does your average Oiler fan gain access to media booths, sports directors, and players???

mmm...interesting

I say Comrie stays and we trade Brownlee ("and/or GuyF") to Toronto for a hot pretzel with mustard.

I know you were kidding... right?

The only reason you might not see me and Robin in the same room is... we might not both fit .

As for how I get into media booths etc... persistence and the backing of HF. I'll be in the box againon Saturday and hopefully to 99% of the games this year.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 03:37 AM
  #19
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
I guess I'm missing something here...Reporters like Guy and Brownlee have jobs because they print what they can and keep anything else "else the record"...My question is: Why the hell would they do anything to jeopordize their relationships with the team they cover...

I mean, here in Ottawa, our Sun reporter is Bruce "Bou-Bou" Garioch...Although I take his trade rumors for what they are, I think his coverage of the Sens is very accurate...I think we have to take a step back and actually read what is being written...Brownlee's been covering the Oilers for how long now...Guy and Brownlee have access to info and a perspective that us fans don't (unless you're slats and actually call the tv station or whatever to get to the bottom of it )...

Guy, correct me if I'm wrong because I am really speculating myself - I have no idea how the media work...

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:24 AM
  #20
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
My bad guy, thx for clearing that up.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 06:17 AM
  #21
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Sorry, I should have specified what I meant. Me being the first guy to stick his neck out for Sarno was... as a media guy. I haven't heard or read anywhere else that Sarno has a shot of making this team from any other media people. I said it on the radio yesterday and Jason Gregor was really surprised.

And you're right over the summer I didn't really give him much chance. It wasn't until the Prendergast interview (the 1st one) that I even considered him. But since camp opened I have been, even wrote about him (and Henrich and Horacek) early on in camp.
Of course, now that you have said that, Joanne Ireland has done it too.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...D-C280B5FA71C4

Maybe Guy isn't Brownlee. Admit it - you're Joanne Ireland in a bald wig!:p

Allan is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 06:31 AM
  #22
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I know you were kidding... right?

The only reason you might not see me and Robin in the same room is... we might not both fit .

As for how I get into media booths etc... persistence and the backing of HF. I'll be in the box againon Saturday and hopefully to 99% of the games this year.

ya I'm kidding...I'm just jealous.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 06:49 AM
  #23
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,677
vCash: 500
I sometimes question Brownlee's hockey sense and grasp of the "big picture" (wasn't he the guy who was suggesting the Oilers target Kasparaitis as the return for Tom Poti?) ...but after how many years he's been in this business, he has to have made some useful contacts, even if just by accident. Credit where credit is due- he said the Oilers were after Isbister, and they were. He said the Oilers were planning to move Niinimaa, and as much as we scoffed at the idea at the time, he was right. I don't think you can dismiss this just because it's Robin Brownlee.

ps- I'm saying that Sarno's being kept around just to keep Stoll honest.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:33 AM
  #24
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Maybe Guy isn't Brownlee. Admit it - you're Joanne Ireland in a bald wig!:p
Now THAT is some funny stuff.

They play against Minneosta tonight byt the way, not Vancouver as the artcile that link sent me too says.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:37 PM
  #25
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Now THAT is some funny stuff.

They play against Minneosta tonight byt the way, not Vancouver as the artcile that link sent me too says.
Just so you guys know...

Robin Brownlee is an occasional reader of these baords and the site in general. He told me he has HF bookmarked.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.