HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Some strange scouting reports.....For some, they claim Thomas is fast and speedy....others calls his skating slow and terrible....So which one is it? I always saw Thomas as a pretty speedy player...

Old
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Kristo never got a chance to prove himself in Montreal so find it weird. Adding that they made themselves smaller this is a weird move for the Habs all around.
He wouldn't have made the team. Not even close.

Old
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
My thoughts...

On Kristo:
Losing Kristo hurts. Not the team, but me. I liked Kristo. I thought he had the tools to be an impact player on the Habs. I always favor those type of forwards that shape a top nine instead of having a bottom six. I think De La Rose will fit that mold perfectly when he's ready. I thought Kristo would also be there. If reports are true that he didn't want to play in Montreal, why would he sign that contract? Doesn't make sense. He was a head-case -- getting drunk and walking home barefoot leading to frostbite -- which could have been a major problem, especially in Montreal. Yet, he has the tools to make you forget about his off-ice problems.

However, in the AHL, he failed to impress me. I watched guys who were just coming in from Juniors and much younger than him, performing at a higher level. Kristo did show flashes but at his age and skill-set, you'd expect to see more than just flashes at the AHL level. Perhaps "not wanting to be a Habs prospect" factored in, if it's even true to begin with. He was one of my favorite prospects up front and left me undecided once I saw him with Hamilton.

On Thomas:

Knew nothing about him so I took the time to research him and watch him play a bit, both in the OHL and the AHL. My God, this kid is pretty good. Hell of a shot, quick on his skates and he competes on every shift. I really like his character and his ex-coaches and GMs all mention his character being good and how he is a leader on and off the ice. Can't hate on that.

The bad? No, not his size (shut up, already) but his instinctive skills are a little questionable. Watching him, he opts to shoot the puck all the time. Once he finds an open lane, he'll fire the puck as soon as he can. While he has a rocket of a shot, he still needs to use his teammates more and create plays rather than kill the play with a shot that has little chance of going in. I think that's his major flaw he needs to fix. Other than that, I can see Thomas playing in the bottom six and some PP time on the second unit, due to his shot. Imagine setting him up in the slot, a la Cammalleri.

The trade:

I'll wait to announce a clear cut winner. As of right now, both prospects seem to have qualities to their games and both have their flaws. Kristo is ahead overall, but Thomas is younger and his shot is a better attribute than anything Kristo can offer. We'll see how each player progresses, both in the AHL and the NHL.

Good luck, Kristo.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Bleu Blanc Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
We just drafted McCaron and De la Rose. What's wrong with adding talent and character ? Kristo is small too. You need many pieces for a team to excell.
we are supposed to make this team bigger, not smaller. Kristo is 5'11, and he trades him for a 5'9, seriously ?

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well absolutely. We did get rid of Archambault who had some questions regarding his work ethic and "character". We also claimed that it was because he was small but CLEARLY that's not a problem. Then Kristo, though I would believe his character is overblown, though Montreal who has contacts says it is a real problem. And Beaulieu will have to be next if it's always about that. Though, you read of how great of a student he was in the AHL so the "character" issue might not be that big.
Beaulieu for the player with the highest character.

Old
Stive Morgan
What?! No way!

vCash: 631
Not impressed with Bergevin's recent moves. This is bringing back shades of Gauthier where we trade away someone good for someone I've never heard of.

Old
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The biggest issue is not Kristo.

The issue is that this trade does zero for the season that starts in a few months. Trading a pawn for a pawn is useless. We could have used that pawn to add to another piece to get a piece that we are missing on the team right now.

Bergevin sucks at chess.
It's not even a move for the season. It's a Hamilton move.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Some strange scouting reports.....For some, they claim Thomas is fast and speedy....others calls his skating slow and terrible....So which one is it? I always saw Thomas as a pretty speedy player...
I watched a couple of games during supper. He's speedy. The reports of him being "slow and terrible" are out to lunch.

"Up next at 11, P.K. Subban is a terrible coach. Her derrrr."

Old
le_sean

vCash: 612
Kristo was going to be passed by Collberg and Lehkonen anyways. Similar players, but both are character guys. Thomas is a pure sniper, something the Habs lacked in the system.

Old
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Would you be against using Kristo as an add on in a trade to get a crease clearing DMan who is playing in the NHL right now? For all we know, every single NHL GM probably thought Kristo is a prospect with good upside.

Is that emotional or is it a good way to manage assets?
Trading assets for better or more desired assets is always a good way to manage assets.......it isn't rocket science.

Old
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalock View Post
Not impressed with Bergevin's recent moves. This is bringing back shades of Gauthier where we trade away someone good for someone I've never heard of.
Delino DeShields for Pedro.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Bieber fever

Ahl career player vs ahl midget career player

No biggie

Old
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Maybe so but when you are watching a player develop in the organization for 5 years and all of a sudden he is ready to contribute...............BAM.........hes gone!!!

Disappoint...........as Michel Therrien would say.
Ready to contribute where?

Old
LeMAD

Quote:
Would you be against using Kristo as an add on in a trade to get a crease clearing DMan who is playing in the NHL right now? For all we know, every single NHL GM probably thought Kristo is a prospect with good upside.

EA Sports, it's in the game!

Old
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Blanc Rouge View Post
5'9 162lbs bro, enough said.
The epitome of everything wrong with this board, at the moment.

"I did my research... saw his height and his weight... I now feel comfortable giving my full opinion on said player and his progression."

Old
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
9 games, in the middle of the season, under the esteemed guidiance of Lefbreve... At least Kristo has a shot at the NHL now, unlike Leblanc. Something is very worng with this trade.
Dude, Kristo was outplayed by 19 year-old Hudon, playing under the same esteemed guidance of Lefevbre.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Erik Estrada
Pinotte

Watching video... This guy has really nice finishing abilities.

Old
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalock View Post
So we should have traded Kristo for someone that you heard of???? Do you know any players other than ones who are perennial all stars and ones who are currently on the Habs roster....they are both impossible trades to make with Kristo btw

Old
elsubz

Low ballin Subban, extending Desharnais, extending Drewsiski and now giving up Kristo for nothing...Bergevin's list of bad moves is building up pretty fast.

Old
TT1

from that 1 youtube fight he seems to have a pretty solid jaw. he got hit with a few good shots but didnt back down or turn away, he knew how to handle himself in a fight

Old
deandebean

Quote:

I guess you talked to a lot of gm's in your life.

Right?
Right?

Old
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Stive Morgan
What?! No way!

vCash: 631
Well, I'm hoping this becomes another one of those threads we look at in 5 years to laugh at, but my gut feeling is that this is the McDonagh trade 2.0

Old
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Who cares? He wont make the big club next season. Same for Kristo.

Cant believe this board is going nuts over career ahl'ers.
Career AHLers? The kid has 9 games of pro hockey under his belt and yet you think you know what his career is going to be? Must be nice to have such insight into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I thought the loophole closed before he could be in a position to use it.
the loophole never closed, still in place. Mark MacMillan is the next prospect that can go that route, next June 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Dominating, and even that is a big word, the NCAA at 23 is not a great feat. Just imagine pk last year in the NCAA, or even Lars Eller. What would it have looked like? Serious work ethics and flawed character seemed part of his pedigree. Having skills doesn't make you a pro. It's what comes after that does. Kristo is one of those internet legends that grow on websites like this one. Josef Balej anyone?
First Kristo just turned 23 a few days ago, and he was one of the top scorers in the NCAA last year too. I have no clue why you bring up PK or Eller, they are NHLers why we anyone care about how they would do in the NCAA?

Old
Playoff Beard

the obsession for size has gone to far... I don't really know thomas myself and I haven't seen Kristo play much either outside of the WJC, but so have most posters here. Yet, half of us are claiming we got screwed of this deal and that MB is the worst GM in history. And that's based on what? probably on the fact that Kristo is a towering 2 inches taller than Thomas. Calm down people. Kristo wasn't in our plans anymore and that seems clear to me. We got a dangerous scorer who has done very well statistically in his first year as a pro, which is very promising in itself. So before calling this trade the biggest steal in history, lets wait and see them play, so we can analyze this trade based on more than height.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Low ballin Subban, extending Desharnais, extending Drewsiski and now giving up Kristo for nothing...Bergevin's list of bad moves is building up pretty fast.
"Lowballin Subban" - Show me what you can do move. Lit a fire under his keister. It'll cost him but in the end, made him a better player for it.

Extending Desharnais - Agreed. Bad move.

Extending Drewiske - Oh no, a depth move!

Kristo trade - For nothing? Alright then. If Thomas is nothing, Kristo is nothing.

Closed Thread