HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun: "Habs may circle back on Daniel Briere, had already shown interest.."

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
I'll breathe easier when Briere signs with the Sabres, where he'll be the OLD OLD/new Derek Roy.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Briere was once placed on waivers

That's shows a lot of character from him, he's a Bergevin type of player

Old
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'll breathe easier when Briere signs with the Sabres, where he'll be the OLD OLD/new Derek Roy.
I'm hoping he heads out west so he can stop scoring against us!

Old
07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
hockeyfan2k11

He won't sign.

Every time I hear a rumor of a player and the Habs...99.9% of the time nothing happens. We will build through the draft and HOPE to God it works or else we will be in big trouble...because we can't attract worthwhile free agents unless grossly overpaid.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
i would take him over DD

Old
07-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I'm done ever getting my hopes up for a UFA. Ever again. And in this case, I have no interest in seeing him here unless he signs a stupidly cheap/1-year deal.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
i would take him over DD
Most of us would, the problem is what to do with DD, not sure many teams would want him

Old
07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
If Gionta or DD is out. Brière is welcome!

Old
07-03-2013, 10:10 AM
De Montreal
help

Why everybody is saying our only need is size? We also lack skills.

We still need to replace Ryder's 25 goals

Gionta, Desharnais, Gallagher,... arent exactly big points producers...

Don't like Briere at all but we shouldnt be too quick to close the door

Old
07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
AllanMTL46

Not this mother****er please

Old
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I'm done ever getting my hopes up for a UFA. Ever again. And in this case, I have no interest in seeing him here unless he signs a stupidly cheap/1-year deal.
Re read your post, you are contradicting yourself.

Not a chance Briere signs in Montreal. Desharnais is a better player.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
windycity

I'd offer him one year at $600K

just to troll him

Old
07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Most of us would, the problem is what to do with DD, not sure many teams would want him
You have no idea how wrong you are here.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:39 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
Not a chance Briere signs in Montreal. Desharnais is a better player.
Based on what?

Old
07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Based on what?
Height.

oh wait...

Old
07-03-2013, 12:50 PM
dunner

Quote:
Based on what?
Last year and year before.

Briere is not the same as the last time he was a FA. Better career then DD but presently No he is not better.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

We're signing Iginla for 7 mill over 2 years and Komisarek for 1 year 1 mill...

Old
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Based on what?
Everything, including injuries.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

I see nothing wrong with bringing in a playoff performer for one year. Hell, just to not have him scoring on us would be worth it.

we got all kinds of cap space so yah...**** it.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Bob b smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
If Gionta or DD is out. Brière is welcome!
Slight edit: If Gionta and DD (are) out. Brière is welcome!

Old
07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
gusfring

How about Iginla, Hendricks and Fistric?

Old
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
How about Iginla, Hendricks and Fistric?
Yes. Yes. No.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
His draft picks were off the board for who? For HF's Habs board? Funny how you mention it's a bad draft after 3 days, and fault this one on Bergevin, still, when comes the time to talk about the draft we had in 2012, it's all great and solely on Timmins' shoulders.

I didn't know you were aware of the contract offered to Lecavalier neither.

You complain about losing in a completely whiney/dirty way in the playoffs, still, you're the first one to defend Josh Gorges, the guy who probably was the most pathetic of them all, not being able to even outplay a rookie Tinordi, and shooting pucks at his opponents.

Yet again, you criticize the GM for putting Bouillon on the PP (a coach's move), signing an ordinary player to a 1 year, 1M contract, letting Ryder go, when the goal from the VERY beginning was to get rid of Cole's contract, and choosing to keep his draft picks instead of adding a piece which might not even have made a difference (we lost to the team who lost to the team who lost to the team who lost in the Cup finals after all)?!...

You're completely incoherent. This offseason might say a lot about Bergevin and the crew supporting him... Judging him after Lecavalier got a RIDICULOUS contract at Philly, and some rumours about him kicking the tires on Briere though? And that, before free agency even opens up?

That's a new low, even for this board.
Firstly, I never said his draft as "bad" just unconventional and off the board. Nearly everyone in the media and everyone who followed the draft said something along those lines. On one hand, I don't really mind the change as the previous "BPA" approach clearly didn't bear as much fruit as it could have - but on the other hand I think it supports my argument that Bergevin is clearly arrogant in his approach. Unconventional cuts both ways, after all.

Additionally, it's pretty much common knowledge that a GM who comes in just before the draft doesn't really interfere with that years' scouting and approach. Timmins was following his own/Gauthier's/Gainey's model last year and it was pretty evident.

Regarding Lecavalier - he's a player that fit many needs at once and he was available for free. For a team that's lacking in talent AND size in its top6, whose top young players (except Gallagher) wilted under pressure toward the end of the season and who direly needed a talented puck-possession man - Bergevin should have offered MORE than Philly. Yes, more.

He ultimately signed for a really fair free-market price and there are many, many comparables. From Handzus to Leino to B.Richards to Hossa and etc. Some signings are busts, some are home-runs but a good player is expensive and Lecavalier for all intents and purposes is a good player and he fit the Habs' needs very well. They should have targeted him aggressively and got him here. Don't tell me his contract is "ridiculous" - it's a perfectly fair free-agent deal. We had cap-space and Gionta+Markov coming off the books too. What Bergevin shouldn't have done was extend Price to the term and cap hit he did and extend Desharnais to the contract he did. Lecavalier at 4.5 is a steal. Gaustad got 4.

Now, I think you get incoherent. You say that playing that scrub Bouillon on the PP is the coach's decision but then blame Gorges for his play when the entire defensive scheme (coaching) was in shambles for every pairing. Which is it?

Because where I'm sitting I see a that Bergevin installed a mediocre coach who couldn't adjust his tactics as soon as he got figured out and got thoroughly whomped in 5 games to a team full of rookies. So yes, I blame Bergevin and Therrien for Bouillon and for the entire defense looking like they belong in the Estonian 2nd league. Not only did they lose, they played filthy dirty as a collective. I'm not going to blame Gorges and Subban when I think the entire team played like losers.

And don't tell me it was "part of the plan" to jettison Cole when he got first line minutes all the way until his trade. That's looking backwards. Looking forwards I see a glaring hole in the top6 and Gionta on the PP. My point with the Armstrong/Bouillon signings was that they were insignificant. They were classic Gainey moves. They were little nudges when this team needed much more than that.

My point with this entire rant is that SO FAR it seems like the new boss is the same as the old one. Arrogant yet timid - a toxic combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Letrs start with Holmgren who just signed Vinny and spent over the cap while he has no #1 goalie and a really bad defense... better than Bergevin, really ?
If the benchmark for Bergevin is Holmgren, I think it says all that needs to be said about Bergevin.

Quote:
Halas, that's not the case. Some things might have been done differently, in the end though, it's FAR to soon to come to any kind of conclusion with this GM and the supporting cast around him.
So you're saying that we can't comment on any move until five years later? I think so far BErgevin has failed to impress. From the Subban contract to his choice of coach to Price to Desharnais to Bouillon to trading for Drewiskie to failing to get Lecavalier. So far he has failed to impress me. So far he reminds me of Gainey.

Maybe come July 5th he pulls a coup and lands a big-fish and takes us to the next level. Maybe, however, he's going to keep stressing that it's best to develop through the draft and we keep middling and our prospects keep getting overrated in the meanwhile. Like what happened during Gainey's tenure.

Quote:
Yeah, we should definitely trust you and all of your wisdom before trusting his agent who said: "It's about a bunch of factors that concern Canadian teams...", clearly hinting it's, once again, all about the income taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
He came right out and said he didn't choose Montreal for external factors that weren't related to $ or term. Read between the lines.
Montreal was an option for Lecavalier. Montreal should have offered more than they did if they wanted him, and they should have wanted him because he fit so many needs at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Actually, I'd say it's the fans who are not paying attention. Countless times MB has said that you build winning teams through the draft and he hasn't been here long enough for that to play out.

People might not like it but it's not MB's fault what Gainey or Gauthier did before him. It's not MB's fault Montreal fans don't have the patience to let him do a job. Everyone wants things now, now, now but he hasn't even been with the team for two years yet. I know it's easy to make a million deals on NHL 13 but this is reality and it takes time to rebuild a team and fix whatever mistakes were made before you.
I think the whole "patience, patience" mantra is a bit played out. We have cap-space and a rich owner, there's no excuse why Desharnais is playing with our best winger and Bouillon is on the 2nd wave PP. Not a single excuse.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
dunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Firstly, I never said his draft as "bad" just unconventional and off the board. Nearly everyone in the media and everyone who followed the draft said something along those lines. On one hand, I don't really mind the change as the previous "BPA" approach clearly didn't bear as much fruit as it could have - but on the other hand I think it supports my argument that Bergevin is clearly arrogant in his approach. Unconventional cuts both ways, after all.

Additionally, it's pretty much common knowledge that a GM who comes in just before the draft doesn't really interfere with that years' scouting and approach. Timmins was following his own/Gauthier's/Gainey's model last year and it was pretty evident.

Regarding Lecavalier - he's a player that fit many needs at once and he was available for free. For a team that's lacking in talent AND size in its top6, whose top young players (except Gallagher) wilted under pressure toward the end of the season and who direly needed a talented puck-possession man - Bergevin should have offered MORE than Philly. Yes, more.

He ultimately signed for a really fair free-market price and there are many, many comparables. From Handzus to Leino to B.Richards to Hossa and etc. Some signings are busts, some are home-runs but a good player is expensive and Lecavalier for all intents and purposes is a good player and he fit the Habs' needs very well. They should have targeted him aggressively and got him here. Don't tell me his contract is "ridiculous" - it's a perfectly fair free-agent deal. We had cap-space and Gionta+Markov coming off the books too. What Bergevin shouldn't have done was extend Price to the term and cap hit he did and extend Desharnais to the contract he did. Lecavalier at 4.5 is a steal. Gaustad got 4.

Now, I think you get incoherent. You say that playing that scrub Bouillon on the PP is the coach's decision but then blame Gorges for his play when the entire defensive scheme (coaching) was in shambles for every pairing. Which is it?

Because where I'm sitting I see a that Bergevin installed a mediocre coach who couldn't adjust his tactics as soon as he got figured out and got thoroughly whomped in 5 games to a team full of rookies. So yes, I blame Bergevin and Therrien for Bouillon and for the entire defense looking like they belong in the Estonian 2nd league. Not only did they lose, they played filthy dirty as a collective. I'm not going to blame Gorges and Subban when I think the entire team played like losers.

And don't tell me it was "part of the plan" to jettison Cole when he got first line minutes all the way until his trade. That's looking backwards. Looking forwards I see a glaring hole in the top6 and Gionta on the PP. My point with the Armstrong/Bouillon signings was that they were insignificant. They were classic Gainey moves. They were little nudges when this team needed much more than that.

My point with this entire rant is that SO FAR it seems like the new boss is the same as the old one. Arrogant yet timid - a toxic combination.

If the benchmark for Bergevin is Holmgren, I think it says all that needs to be said about Bergevin.

So you're saying that we can't comment on any move until five years later? I think so far BErgevin has failed to impress. From the Subban contract to his choice of coach to Price to Desharnais to Bouillon to trading for Drewiskie to failing to get Lecavalier. So far he has failed to impress me. So far he reminds me of Gainey.

Maybe come July 5th he pulls a coup and lands a big-fish and takes us to the next level. Maybe, however, he's going to keep stressing that it's best to develop through the draft and we keep middling and our prospects keep getting overrated in the meanwhile. Like what happened during Gainey's tenure.

Montreal was an option for Lecavalier. Montreal should have offered more than they did if they wanted him, and they should have wanted him because he fit so many needs at once.

I think the whole "patience, patience" mantra is a bit played out. We have cap-space and a rich owner, there's no excuse why Desharnais is playing with our best winger and Bouillon is on the 2nd wave PP. Not a single excuse.

Sorry but I disagree with your theory, the time window for this team to win is just beginning to open it is not the time to over pay. The core of this team is established for the next 7+ years it is now Bergevin's job to add complimentary pieces for the right price. It is just as hard for a gm to remain patient as spend, maybe harder when you run the Habs.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
You have no idea how wrong you are here.
agree to disagree I guess. I'd take Briere over DD any day of the week!

Closed Thread