HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun: "Habs may circle back on Daniel Briere, had already shown interest.."

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Kid Dynomite

vCash: 500
The high drama continues:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m
No decision should be made tonight by Daniel Brière. List of teams is now down to 6 teams. #RDS

Old
07-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Cedream

Please no...

Hope this is just a front

Old
07-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If only Gionta's regular-season heart and character could be blended with Briere's post-season heart and character and Bouillon's year-round tenacity.
,,, and Blunden's size, perhaps?

I still wouldn't want Briere.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
AllanMTL46

Yep, Karma's a *****. GTFO Brière, you're not welcome here anymore.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
The high drama continues:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m
No decision should be made tonight by Daniel Brière. List of teams is now down to 6 teams. #RDS
pray the Jesus that we are not one of them!!!!

Old
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
As soon as the Philly news broke I had to head out on a date. I come home this crap now?

Rest of league >>> Bergevin (so far)

We'll see how July 5th fares but I'm sticking to it.

Extend Moen to a bad contract
Extend Price to an overpaid, undeserved contract (and I'm a Price fan!)
Play hardball with Subban in a risky and dangerous way
Sign Armstrong to zero affect
Sign Bouillon and stick him on the powerplay
Extend Bouillon
Extend Desharnais, who had very little leverage as an undrafted RFA, for 4 years at 3.5
Draft completely off the board for all but one or two picks
Trade for Ryder and then let him go
Trade for Drewiskie when the playoff-bound team required more acquisitions
Extend Drewiskie for no reason, when the guy was squeezed out of an already depleted lineup by raw-as-hell rookies
Crash and burn out of the playoffs in the most pathetic, dirty and whiney of ways

I had a text-debate about this with my buddy while on my date, I'm seriously not convinced that the new boss is any different than the old bosses.

Remember 8 years ago? Wait till Kostitsyn breaks out! Wait till Grabovski tears it up! Chipchura, future captain! Price is going to kill the league, the next Roy! etc. etc.

Five year plans, but still somehow always ending up second fiddle in major trades and acquisitions. Shanahan, Sundin, Hossa, Briere, Lecavalier, etc. Size issues. Poor team image. Weirdly intense emphasis on character and using it as an excuse to jettison talented players.

Yeah it's been a little over a year but the new boss smells like the old one, acts like the old one, gives excuses like the old one... but looks much sharper in a suit.

I don't trust in Bergevin, I think his moves have been arrogant but also lacking in foresight and creativity. It's like he has an idea of a plan but is too rigid or stubborn to really do anything with it.

Offering 9/3yrs to Lecavalier is absolutely bonkers. Which 50-60pt 6'4" centre on the UFA market would settle for that? Handzus, previously, got 16/4!!
I think Bergevin has the potential to be much worse than PG//Gainey, but not because he didn't offer the moon for vinny, your list is pretty accurate btw, I think he's been pretty terrible.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:56 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think Bergevin has the potential to be much worse than PG//Gainey, but not because he didn't offer the moon for vinny, your list is pretty accurate btw, I think he's been pretty terrible.
Anyone who is new would have the potential to be much worse than PG/Gainey. He could be the worst GM in the history of professional sports for all we know. But he has only been here for one year. Let's chill out.

Last edited by andy28: 07-03-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Marc-E-

Jeez guys calm down! So far, I really like what Bergevin management have done. This team's gonna start to turn the corner at the next trade deadline when we'll be out of the playoffs race. I think we'll fall short for the next season, but Bergevin will trade our UFA's for assets. I expect guys like Markov, Gionta will be trade. And at next summer, bring some interesting new key pieces. I think we should all suck it up and take a deep breath here. Wait and see. I'm confident with our management.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:02 PM
AntonCH

From a different perspective:

Extend Moen to a bad contract - $1.85 mill bad for a guy that was plugged into every line in our line-up and did what was asked of him? 1 bad year and he's fodder? let the contract play out before passing judgement
Extend Price to an overpaid, undeserved contract (and I'm a Price fan!) ok i'll give you this one - too high a cap hit
Play hardball with Subban in a risky and dangerous way - look to detroit and how they manage salaries, If MB is trying to impose a similar set of guidelines, lets see where it goes. At least he's extending and re-signing people mid-season
Sign Armstrong to zero affect - 4th line fill in and you're complaining? really?
Sign Bouillon and stick him on the powerplay - signing is MB, powerplay is Therrien
Extend Bouillon - Don't get this one, maybe a Therrien thing? not sure
Extend Desharnais, who had very little leverage as an undrafted RFA, for 4 years at 3.5 - one bad season, pass judgement at the end of the upcoming campaign
Draft completely off the board for all but one or two picks - when you become a scout let me know, until then I believe you address concerns to TT
Trade for Ryder and then let him go - addition by subtraction or did someone miss the memo?
Trade for Drewiskie when the playoff-bound team required more acquisitions - Management must have concluded that we were not in a position or place to go all in, smart move if you ask me
Extend Drewiskie for no reason, when the guy was squeezed out of an already depleted lineup by raw-as-hell rookies - Dman depth is a good thing
Crash and burn out of the playoffs in the most pathetic, dirty and whiney of ways - Yup Bergevin logged heavy minutes here, its all on him! emo much?

Old
07-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Apoplectic Habs Fan

Dont really have any interest in Briere because he brings nothing to Montreal that they dont have. If Monteal had size on the wings and down the middle, and were trying to find someone to go along with this type of core, then fine but to add Briere to Gallagher, Gionta, Desharnais, Pleks lacks any sort of logic.

Its a terrible move by MB in my opinion unless he plans on dumping 2 of 3 between Gionta, Pleks and Desharnais.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:15 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 622
It feels like just a while ago Bergevin was pretty loved around here. Looks like that mood is gone

Old
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
It feels like just a while ago Bergevin was pretty loved around here. Looks like that mood is gone
Wouldn't you love to be GM of the Habs?

Old
07-03-2013, 06:18 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Amazing what not signing Lecavalier and trading a prospect can do to someone's reputation.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:20 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Haven't you heard? The signings of 4th line forwards and #6/7 defensemen are literally the worst moves in the history of our franchise and have set us back decades!

After one year where we won the division title I can conclusively say he's the worst GM in the history of our franchise.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:31 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Dont really have any interest in Briere because he brings nothing to Montreal that they dont have. If Monteal had size on the wings and down the middle, and were trying to find someone to go along with this type of core, then fine but to add Briere to Gallagher, Gionta, Desharnais, Pleks lacks any sort of logic.

Its a terrible move by MB in my opinion unless he plans on dumping 2 of 3 between Gionta, Pleks and Desharnais.
I'm indifferent as to what happens with Briere, but we most definitely lack TALENT on the wings. And that's why we can't score, not the size thing. Size is needed to wear the other team down, keep them honest while playing the puck, and to defend our net. We could totally use a skilled forward, whether it be Elias, Briere or whoever. We lack vision and playmaking in this forward crop big time.

For example, replacing Armstrong and Ryder with Clowe and Briere is a giant upgrade to this hockey team.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:34 PM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

I highly doubt we get Briere, whether we want him or not, but if we did in this scenario how would you feel?

Sign Briere to 3 years @ 3.5 million per year.
Trade Desharnais. I won't even speculate as to what we can get for him, I have no clue. Does he have positive or negative value?
Essentially this is swapping Desharnais (Center) for Briere (Winger) instead of trying to play Desharnais out of his natural position, in order to make room for Galchenyuk at C.

Possible Top 6;

Gionta - Plek- Bourque
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

At the same time, if we can hypothetically trade Desharnais, why replace him with another small winger? I guess the same scenario could work with any Winger coming in.

Do you think it's at all possible?
Would you rather have Briere or a different UFA winger, expected contracts considered.
Do you think Galchenyuk is ready for full time C role?

Old
07-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
pray the Jesus that we are not one of them!!!!

Don't worry, we were not even in his original list of 28 teams.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Every year I get impressed by how overly emotional some fans are.

I don't particularly like Briere, he's had two bad seasons back to back so I'm not convinced he'll have much left in the tank as a 36yo. Depending on the contract, I could like or dislike the move.
Signed to a relative cheap deal to play on the 3rd line as a depth winger, I'm all for it. Him playing along side Galchenyuk-Eller could be very interesting. He's also clutch in the POs.
It all depends on the contract. But depth on the wings is a must.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
From a different perspective:

Extend Moen to a bad contract - $1.85 mill bad for a guy that was plugged into every line in our line-up and did what was asked of him? 1 bad year and he's fodder? let the contract play out before passing judgement
Extend Price to an overpaid, undeserved contract (and I'm a Price fan!) ok i'll give you this one - too high a cap hit
Play hardball with Subban in a risky and dangerous way - look to detroit and how they manage salaries, If MB is trying to impose a similar set of guidelines, lets see where it goes. At least he's extending and re-signing people mid-season
Sign Armstrong to zero affect - 4th line fill in and you're complaining? really?
Sign Bouillon and stick him on the powerplay - signing is MB, powerplay is Therrien
Extend Bouillon - Don't get this one, maybe a Therrien thing? not sure
Extend Desharnais, who had very little leverage as an undrafted RFA, for 4 years at 3.5 - one bad season, pass judgement at the end of the upcoming campaign
Draft completely off the board for all but one or two picks - when you become a scout let me know, until then I believe you address concerns to TT
Trade for Ryder and then let him go - addition by subtraction or did someone miss the memo?
Trade for Drewiskie when the playoff-bound team required more acquisitions - Management must have concluded that we were not in a position or place to go all in, smart move if you ask me
Extend Drewiskie for no reason, when the guy was squeezed out of an already depleted lineup by raw-as-hell rookies - Dman depth is a good thing
Crash and burn out of the playoffs in the most pathetic, dirty and whiney of ways - Yup Bergevin logged heavy minutes here, its all on him! emo much?
Stop trying to bring some sense in this conversation, man. Really, really not nice.

I mean, isn't it obvious that after one year with our team we can judge our GM's moves that will take effect in a few years?

Old
07-03-2013, 06:51 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Stop trying to bring some sense in this conversation, man. Really, really not nice.

I mean, isn't it obvious that after one year with our team we can judge our GM's moves that will take effect in a few years?
think you quoted the wrong guy!

Old
07-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
think you quoted the wrong guy!
Well, to be fair I usually don't agree with this guy but he brings some good points and, more importantly, doesn't act like a know-it-all that can predict the future

Old
07-03-2013, 07:18 PM
teh doors
ice hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Haven't you heard? The signings of 4th line forwards and #6/7 defensemen are literally the worst moves in the history of our franchise and have set us back decades!

After one year where we won the division title I can conclusively say he's the worst GM in the history of our franchise.
Hey man four years at 3.5 is too much

Old
07-03-2013, 07:28 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Hey man four years at 3.5 is too much
You're right, I mean, he takes up 5.4% of our cap! That's way too much

Old
07-03-2013, 07:29 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

So adding depth and winning is a bad thing. I understand now

Old
07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Man I can't wait until DD becomes on pace for another 50-60 pt season and gets traded for a 2nd rounder and a prospect at the deadline to shut all you whining b**ches. He had one bad season in a lockout shortened season. Bad seasons happen to all players. This guy was on our first line 60 games ago.
Do actors only make good movies 100% of the time? Is Obama perfect? Does your partner orgasm each time you take your pants off? Best hockey city in the world my @ss.

Closed Thread