HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun: "Habs may circle back on Daniel Briere, had already shown interest.."

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 12:23 AM
FinnHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
@Eklund: Montreal may be inching to the front for Briere. But nothing is done yet.

I dont understand why he come and play for Habs now, last time we were after him, he refused.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Wouldn't be surprised if the habs are simply throwing this out there for the media and certain portion of the fanbase. Id be really surprised if they are genuinely interested

Old
07-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Beendair Donedat

Awesome. Now maybe Theo Fleury, Mats Naslund and Oleg Petrov could take a shot at making the team.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:36 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
You can't only blame DD for losing in the playoffs, I agree we need to add grit but I don't think most ppl on here can evaluate talent. Briere has regressed and is now useless, trading DD for scraps to make room for him would be almost idiotic.

It's not easy to get 60 points in the NHL so when you find someone that can you don't give him away because he is small. Really hope moving him to the wing is being strongly considered, I don't think Gionta will return next year so that would leave DD and Gallagher and we can add more size.
It is not just DD's size. It is mainly his lack of commitment to defensive play and aversion to play in the tough areas all over the ice. He is the proverbial "floater". Guys who play this way at any level of hockey never garner respect from their teammates. How does a player who cannot be on the ice late in games with a lead because he is a defensive liability not buy in to trying to play a team game? That is why I and many others cannot support the DD extension let alone his one dimensional offering. He and his contract are huge liabilities to this team. MB was very short sighted with the move to extend him as he did. He was invisible for the latter part of the season and playoffs.

I will agree with you in that he was not alone in contributing to the subpar play the last few weeks of the season.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:38 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Get rid of DD. and then sign briere
Yea please

Old
07-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Awesome. Now maybe Theo Fleury, Mats Naslund and Oleg Petrov could take a shot at making the team.
Don't forget Nathan Gerbe. I'm not high on bringing Brière, but he's one the best from this corp of UFA's no frenzy. All matters on the terms he'll sign. Bergevin will have to get rid of one or both smurfs (DD or Gionta) My bet would be Gionta. Will see.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:42 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
meh, Eklund only goes by popularity, doesnt matter if there's sources or not... a frenchie to the Habs ? sure, we'll get a lot of hits on our website.

He's only legit here cause of his 12$.
Don't think it even matters if the guy is French or not. Habs rumors = traffic. Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that others have reported that we have interest in Briere.

Last edited by andy28: 07-04-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old
07-04-2013, 12:47 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
You can't only blame DD for losing in the playoffs, I agree we need to add grit but I don't think most ppl on here can evaluate talent.
It's hard not to be concerned about him though. David Desharnais could turn things around, for sure. He only started to drop off halfway through this season, after his contract. Despite his size, I always kinda thought he was a bit tenacious and bulldoggish around the net. What concerns me about him now though is not only did his production drop off, but he really started to look so much easier to shove off the puck. Like I mean opponents were dropping him with one handed shoves. I really wish Bergevin had not been in such a hurry to extend him.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
meh, Eklund only goes by popularity, doesnt matter if there's sources or not... a frenchie to the Habs ? sure, we'll get a lot of hits on our website.

He's only legit here cause of his 12$.
Not true, rumour is, he has revealing pics of some of our very own Habs mods.

Actually he's been vetted. Which means the people high up have approved that he be allowed to be considered as a "credible" source.

Sorry mods, old habit

Old
07-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Kill me now.

MB is dumb if he gets him. It's Gauthier-esque.

Old
07-04-2013, 03:38 AM
FinnHab

Luckily there is 0% chance that Briere is coming to Montreal. No way.

Old
07-04-2013, 03:45 AM
TT1

if this happens i will personally egg mb's car

Old
07-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Avim86

Well people will change their minds when they are older and have less options.
Would you really want to end your career with a non-playoff team or suck it up be a professional and sign with the Habs?

That being said I hope we stay away from him , this kind of patchwork (signing players in the final stages of their careers) is not something the Habs have had success with.

Forget Briere , pick up Gerbe on waivers ....Gerbe-DD-Gionta toughness problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Maybe I should PM Brian Savage see if he wants to put the 49 back on.

Old
07-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Avim86

edit...Double post (sorry).

Old
07-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Price My Man Crush

If Brière has little common sense left, he won't come here.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
if this happens i will personally egg mb's car
Well at least that's something.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the habs are simply throwing this out there for the media and certain portion of the fanbase. Id be really surprised if they are genuinely interested
I hope you're right. There are better places to spend money than Briere. As much as Clarkson will end up overpaid at least he can play physical and fight on top of scoring garbage goals. Big time pass on Briere for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
It's hard not to be concerned about him though. David Desharnais could turn things around, for sure. He only started to drop off halfway through this season, after his contract. Despite his size, I always kinda thought he was a bit tenacious and bulldoggish around the net. What concerns me about him now though is not only did his production drop off, but he really started to look so much easier to shove off the puck. Like I mean opponents were dropping him with one handed shoves. I really wish Bergevin had not been in such a hurry to extend him.
DD's play was fine even after the contract, not great but didn't drop off much if at all. Go look at the numbers.

His playoffs were not great, but part of that is Pacioretty not producing and playing with a separated shoulder. I would keep DD for another year he seems to have something to prove, then move him in 6 to 12 months if Galchenyuk keeps developing.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
If Briere signs with us, this is it for me. I love the habs and always will, but I'm sick of being terribly disapointed for more than 2 decades.

Folks, I present you some of our top 6, who this team think we can go deep in the playoffs with:

Desharnais
Gionta
Plekanec
Gallagher
Briere

No way in hell I will go through this some more.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Erik Estrada
Pinotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Folks, I present you some of our top 6, who this team think we can go deep in the playoffs with:

Desharnais
Gionta
Plekanec
Gallagher
Briere

Top-6 offensive callups from Hamilton

Thomas
Andrighetto

....Any of those players is great, but hoarding them to such unsustainable levels is a different story. There needs to be a Fire Sale for small players.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 07-04-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old
07-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

For anyone discrediting Eklund, remember:

He's the only one who kept talking about Philly as frontrunners for Lecavalier. He's been doing great in the last year or so.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:28 AM
e46330ivs*

I dont want to pretend like I know Danny personally but we play golf at the same course in Gatineau during the summer and I play with a couple guys who are friends with him and can tell you with 100% certainty Briere will never sign in Montreal, he might use us for leverage but he wont sign with us.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:32 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
For anyone discrediting Eklund, remember:

He's the only one who kept talking about Philly as frontrunners for Lecavalier. He's been doing great in the last year or so.
yah..that is true....he may actually be right about this one.

For the people who are complaining about bringing in this guy, i thought that way as well before...i know he's old..i know he's small....but there's no reason to not take advantage of the fact that he could still very well come in and light it up in the playoffs. on a one or two year deal that will come pretty cheap and not handcuff us from doing other things, potentially giving us a 20 goal scorer if he refinds his game..and post season clutch scoring.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Somehow though, Bergevin will have to respond. You can't go at draft day and said that you might have passed on greater talent to address a GLARING need and then continuously go after smaller players in Thomas, Brière and so on.....He can CHANGE the small player we have with BETTER small players...but needs to surround them somehow. It won't work if not. And now it's not only a question of Bergevin...Dudley is there too, Carrière...I mean we have the front office to make it work. If it doesn't happen...well I have no idea what will change all of that. Yet, you hear how size and toughness are glaring needs so let's hope he remembers it from now on....

Old
07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
If Briere signs with us, this is it for me. I love the habs and always will, but I'm sick of being terribly disapointed for more than 2 decades.

Desharnais
Gionta
Plekanec
Gallagher
Briere

No way in hell I will go through this some more.
I agree, we need another Bourque or Patches build in the lineup. I don't know why we just don't target Clarkson or Clowe and leave it at that. Don't spend the money on free agents, keep your spending flexibity. Hopefully you can make a move at the deadline or even next summer when the cap should go up and guys like Markov, Gionta and Boullion come off the books.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
If they do get him we truly deserve to be called the smurfs and will go nowhere fast when Chara (aka Gargamel) runs over our little guys.

I would rather have them bring up one of the kids and try and develop them than bring in this punk. A kid would probably look older than him as well.

Closed Thread