HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Coburn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 07:13 PM
  #1
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger
 
WingsOverAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Trade for Coburn

With the Vinny signing, PHI has backed themselves in to a corner. Perhaps this is the perect opportunity for DET to strengthen its top 4 defense by adding Coburn? Might come relatively cheap too with 9 dmen signed.....thoughts?

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:16 PM
  #2
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
They're fine with cap space. They just have to place Pronger on IR...

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  #3
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger
 
WingsOverAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
They're fine with cap space. They just have to place Pronger on IR...
Which I believe they cant do until the season starts. And it still leaves them without a goalie and 7 dmen making 3m+

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  #4
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
They're fine with cap space. They just have to place Pronger on IR...
Hasn't Pronger already been on LTIR for years?

I do suspect Philly will have to move some significant salary, but surely they'd prefer to move someone other than Coburn. I'd take him in a second though.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
  #5
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play
 
Neon Phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Coburn is garbage.

Neon Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
  #6
SportsballChic
Rookie User
 
SportsballChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Hasn't Pronger already been on LTIR for years?

I do suspect Philly will have to move some significant salary, but surely they'd prefer to move someone other than Coburn. I'd take him in a second though.
Nope, it's an NHL dirty little secret afaik.

Pronger is done, but he won't retire and keeps talking about working to come back because it's better for Philly's financial situation that way. Almost 100% certain he's got a job waiting in return.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ference-flyers

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:24 PM
  #7
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger
 
WingsOverAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Hasn't Pronger already been on LTIR for years?

I do suspect Philly will have to move some significant salary, but surely they'd prefer to move someone other than Coburn. I'd take him in a second though.
Philly was shopping him heavy to EDM during the draft....and that was before Vinny...

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
  #8
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger
 
WingsOverAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorncog View Post
Coburn is garbage.
Im so glad we could have such a constructive conversation. Many thanks for this deeply intellectual contribution

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  #9
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play
 
Neon Phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOverAvs View Post
Im so glad we could have such a constructive conversation. Many thanks for this deeply intellectual contribution
Well, there's really not much to say about the guy. He is a pylon. Ask any Flyers fan how they feel about him. They will spew Quincey-like hate.

Neon Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
  #10
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,089
vCash: 420
If anything it will be Mez going, and Pronger will be on LTIR, that is ~$8.9M.

They will then be able to sign Thomas to play net and maybe sign a MA Bergeron type of dman (3rd pairing puck mover)

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
  #11
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,402
vCash: 500
I wonder if Nashville is looking to move another D since they drafted Seth Jones. I know they just dumped Gill, but before the draft Preds fans were thinking they were going to have to get rid of one of Ellis or Blum with the stockpile of dmen they have. I would make a serious offer for a guy like Blum.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
  #12
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,589
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
If anything it will be Mez going, and Pronger will be on LTIR, that is ~$8.9M.

They will then be able to sign Thomas to play net and maybe sign a MA Bergeron type of dman (3rd pairing puck mover)

I would probably take Andrej Meszaros over Coburn, at least that guy has an outlet pass. Don't really want either, but I will say that if we are going after one of the overpaid Flyers I would rather it be him, better fit for our system.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  #13
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,589
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I wonder if Nashville is looking to move another D since they drafted Seth Jones. I know they just dumped Gill, but before the draft Preds fans were thinking they were going to have to get rid of one of Ellis or Blum with the stockpile of dmen they have. I would make a serious offer for a guy like Blum.
They didn't qualify Blum, he is a free agent, would be interested in him, think about that guy over Lashoff.....

Guys that were kind of surprisingly not qualified as RFA

Halischuk also in Nashville
Mueller in Florida

There are a couple other ones that escape me is over on the main trade board threads.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:18 PM
  #14
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
They didn't qualify Blum, he is a free agent, would be interested in him, think about that guy over Lashoff.....

Guys that were kind of surprisingly not qualified as RFA

Halischuk also in Nashville
Mueller in Florida

There are a couple other ones that escape me is over on the main trade board threads.
So we could potentially sign him, but we would have to give Nashville draft picks as compensation right?

I think it is something we should pursue.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
  #15
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger
 
WingsOverAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
DET wanted a dman that could fit top 3.....thats why they inquired about Edler. They arent looking for a > Lashoff option

And I didnt mention Mez because he wasnt the one PHI was shopping

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
  #16
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
thru his actions KH has publicly stated he is not allowed to make any trades for players

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
  #17
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
thru his actions KH has publicly stated he is not allowed to make any trades for players
He traded for Quincey

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
  #18
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOverAvs View Post
Which I believe they cant do until the season starts. And it still leaves them without a goalie and 7 dmen making 3m+
you can go 10% over the cap in the offseason though

or at least that was the case during the last CBA not sure what the number is now

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:07 PM
  #19
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
He traded for Quincey
by trading a pick only

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:22 PM
  #20
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
They didn't qualify Blum, he is a free agent, would be interested in him, think about that guy over Lashoff.....

Guys that were kind of surprisingly not qualified as RFA

Halischuk also in Nashville
Mueller in Florida

There are a couple other ones that escape me is over on the main trade board threads.
I'd take a flier on Mueller. Big, cheap, young, skilled...he either puts it together and you get yourself a nice piece for the future, or he bombs and you're not out much of anything.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
  #21
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger
 
WingsOverAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
you can go 10% over the cap in the offseason though

or at least that was the case during the last CBA not sure what the number is now
You still can... but you have to be below by opening day.....and LTIR (I believe) doesnt kick in until after. So PHI has to be under the cap ceiling before Pronger's hit is discounted

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
  #22
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'd take a flier on Mueller. Big, cheap, young, skilled...he either puts it together and you get yourself a nice piece for the future, or he bombs and you're not out much of anything.
Wanted to take a chance on him a couple years ago

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:32 PM
  #23
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOverAvs View Post
With the Vinny signing, PHI has backed themselves in to a corner. Perhaps this is the perect opportunity for DET to strengthen its top 4 defense by adding Coburn? Might come relatively cheap too with 9 dmen signed.....thoughts?
A 6'5 d-man that plays like 5'11 and makes 4.5 million for the next 3 years? No thanks, I see no value in that. We're better off developing our young talent. If we're in need for a d-man, we'll do it during the deadline, but in the meantime, I would like to see what our d-core can do for a full season.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:25 PM
  #24
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,015
vCash: 500
No. I'm not a Coburn fan at all. And I see a lot of him living in Philly.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:59 AM
  #25
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOverAvs View Post
With the Vinny signing, PHI has backed themselves in to a corner. Perhaps this is the perect opportunity for DET to strengthen its top 4 defense by adding Coburn? Might come relatively cheap too with 9 dmen signed.....thoughts?
Coburn really is no better than Kindl, Dekeyser or Smith and each one of them by the end of next season will probably be a better player. Coburn is sneaking into that top 5 of overrated status on HF.. If Philly fan thinks Coburn was worth a 1st then Ericsson should be worth 2 number ones.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.