HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The cost ($$) of youth hockey

Old
07-03-2013, 12:38 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
so still 7 times cheaper than the girl in the article?
Well, that's 10 years of hockey vs 1 year of soccer

Soccer is already a way bigger participation sport than hockey in both the US and Canada. Unfortunately, youth soccer (at least in Canada, can't really speak for the US) is a complete cluster**** of regional pettiness and coaches that care more about winning the U-9 East Thornhill House League Championship than developing talent, which is why Canada is pathetic on the world stage.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
Thank god for minnesota high school hockey. $70 registration fee

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:38 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Well.... that certainly makes me feel good about my decision to have my hypothetical future kids play hockey....
I have a kid..so expensive to play Hockey..

Was hoping my dude would play Hockey in the winter and lacrosse in the Spring. If seattle would have gotten an NHL team up here, could totally see the pro team giving scholarships etc to youth hockey so more kids could play. Without that now..

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:14 PM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I have a kid..so expensive to play Hockey..

Was hoping my dude would play Hockey in the winter and lacrosse in the Spring. If seattle would have gotten an NHL team up here, could totally see the pro team giving scholarships etc to youth hockey so more kids could play. Without that now..
I wouldn't count on it. The Jets run a hockey school for 425 kids (their parents aren't saving anything, there is no way these kids would play otherwise), but they also have 50/50 money 10x-2x most teams.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:47 PM
VOB

Costs for playing have risen almost exponentially over the past 10-15 years....what use to cost $85 per hour for ice rental now costs $160 and up. Cost of equipment increases far outpaces the rate of inflation....it is little wonder why youth hockey registrations are down across North America. Friends of mine in the iron range of Minnesota tell me registrations are half of what they use to be in the mid 90's. In the Detroit area, registrations are also down significantly from where they were in the early 2000's.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:41 PM
gammaraej

do the european club teams with their junior academies pay for their players equipment and such?

if so, maybe north american hockey should do something similar.

i can't see how a team like the leafs couldn't support something like that financially.

gammaraej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:03 PM
William Nylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaraej View Post
do the european club teams with their junior academies pay for their players equipment and such?

i can't see how a team like the leafs couldn't support something like that financially.
I play for the Toronto FC youth academy and they pay for our cleats and even cleaning, I don't know how that would work with NHL teams since they don't really have their own reserve teams to develop players

William Nylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Xelebes

My kids are going to take up cycling. Screw this.

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

And this is exactly why I couldnt play growing up with a single-mother. To play in NJ it wouldve been close to $2k just for year 1, with equipment and insurance which was required at the time (dunno if it still is), PLUS travel costs.

I dont really think there is an easy fix for the problem, either. Hockey requires a lot of gear, a place to play (rinks arent abundant like basketball courts here) and time. Lots and lots of time.

Im 30 and it kills me that Ive never played on ice.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:42 PM
gammaraej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol View Post
I play for the Toronto FC youth academy and they pay for our cleats and even cleaning, I don't know how that would work with NHL teams since they don't really have their own reserve teams to develop players
It would work if it existed. A program like the Toronto fc youth academy would be great for hockey. Toronto FC, Toronto BC, Toronto HC, bring it on.

gammaraej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
My future kids are playing rugby.

Hockey has become a total rich kid sport.
Hockey and Lacross both have the "adam banks stigma" in that theyre viewed as sports for rich white kids (cake eaters!). Thats really most of who played growing up in New Jersey, rich kids with moms who didnt have to work, drove $50,000 SUVs and had the time and money for all the travel. The kind of kids who growup never ever knowing what its like to worry about money.

If you dont live in one of the few towns that does have a public high school ice hockey program, youre boned.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Im 30 and it kills me that Ive never played on ice.
Beer league, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Hockey and Lacross both have the "adam banks stigma" in that theyre viewed as sports for rich white kids (cake eaters!). Thats really most of who played growing up in New Jersey, rich kids with moms who didnt have to work, drove $50,000 SUVs and had the time and money for all the travel. The kind of kids who growup never ever knowing what its like to worry about money.

If you dont live in one of the few towns that does have a public high school ice hockey program, youre boned.
How much is lacrosse in your area? I'm assuming you mean field.
Out my way, box lacrosse has a $125 registration fee, plus equipment, tournaments etc.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Yeah, I'm sure he means field lacrosse. The vast majority of lax in the US is field.

The rich kid stigma has less to do about cost than it does with how the game has grown. At least in the South from my perspective having been a part of it playing growing up in Virginia, and then now as a coach in North Carolina. Typically it starts in the private schools. Thus the view that it is a rich kid sport. Then you'll see public club teams (not school affiliated) pop up, finally followed by being in the public schools. You even see it at the university level that it tends to be easier for private schools to add teams than public ones.

The cost is a factor, though I know our local program is doing what they can with things like equipment exchanges and rentals, and even scholarships to help kids with the cost of playing. US Lacrosse is a great national governing board for the sport offering a lot of incentives like grants and stick donations to new programs to help promote the game, as well.

I'm not sure if there is much help like that for youth hockey players. It would go a long way to help get kids interested and involved, especially at the younger levels.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

This is why hockey is having a hard time in non-traditional markets.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Confucius

Kids that love the game will excell, even with little money. Guys would become rink rats and just hang around the arena, eventually get known and asked to participate in pickup games. Even not having to chip in because the other guys knew the kid had no money. I witnessed two kids share one broken stick one night. They taped the shaft and just held onto it at the break point. I've seen 12 year old kids walk to arenas at 6am carrying their own stick and bag. The bag no doubt containing equipment that was discarded by richer folk. As anything if you really love the game you'll play a lot get good and competitive coaches will get you on their team one way or another because they want to win and you're good.

Now if you just want to play house league, one game a week and maybe one practice, it's not that expensive. -if the kid doesn't really want to play and mom or dad are dragging him all over the country, I don't feel sorry for them.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaraej View Post

Well there's variance in Europe from country to country but in Finland, the kids pay for their equipment until the C-juniors stage (14-15 years old) where at least the SM-Liiga team's juniors get their equipment provided by the team.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontane Sirocco View Post
wow... I only ever played street hockey, being turned down by teams for being too small (something about being too small for a goalie)
I made a cup out of an elbow pad, no helmet... obstructed my vision... good times
Reminds me of the Gordie Howe quote. Asked why he wore a cup and no helmet? He replied I can always pay some guy to think for me...

Old
07-04-2013, 08:01 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Breaking down these costs yearly:

$1,050/year on Travel
$1,000/year on Camps/Clinics
$2,000/year on team dues
$835/year in equipment

This girl was not just kicking around the sport for fun. She was playing on multiple teams and spending $1,000/year in camps/clinics.

Sure it's interesting sticker shock, but it's far from the entry price to have a kid play hockey growing up.

07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Breaking down these costs yearly:

$1,050/year on Travel
$1,000/year on Camps/Clinics
$2,000/year on team dues
$835/year in equipment

This girl was not just kicking around the sport for fun. She was playing on multiple teams and spending $1,000/year in camps/clinics.

Sure it's interesting sticker shock, but it's far from the entry price to have a kid play hockey growing up.
If you want to spend, the sky is the limit. NHL players are always running camps, you want 2hr daily private instruction? Afterall only the poor lineup for drills.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

I have a Cousin in Toronto, 3 boys, all of them were AAA, averaged $10K per kid per season including camp, 7 days in the summer, excluding his own & his wifes time, travel, driving all over the GTA... of course, he also sent the 3 of them to a private school, loaded & could afford it but still. One got a full scholarship to a Div 1 NCAA College, another after College playing semi-pro, the youngest in Jr. Insane money compared to what it was when he & I played in the late 60's on at the then same level. When I asked him if he hadnt lost his mind or what, he figured it was a good investment because first they just loved the game and it built character, and secondly, theyd get at least an education out of it and on a full ride scholarship and it looks like he was right after all.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
senorchang

I refuse to believe that this equipment actually costs that much to manufacture. Theres like a ridiculous mark up for everything. hundreds of dollars for padding that looks like the materials itself cost less than a fraction of that.

I've noticed it applies to most athletic things actually. Its like the new apple tax or something.

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
I refuse to believe that this equipment actually costs that much to manufacture. Theres like a ridiculous mark up for everything. hundreds of dollars for padding that looks like the materials itself cost less than a fraction of that. I've noticed it applies to most athletic things actually. Its like the new apple tax or something.
A lot of its the manufacturing process & the materials used, then theres the import, export duties & tariffs, but ya, $300+ for a stick? $600 for a pair of skates? Your looking at $1500 for a forward (X's however many sticks they bust @$300 a whack) $3000+ for a goalie. Now, if your budget conscious, I guess you can do the sports equipment exchange route, Kijiji or Craigslist. There are ways to acquire equipment for like a 1/10th of its retail value new if you live in an area where the games popular and a lot of stuffs being bought & burned through. Its ridiculous though. More expensive than snowboarding & skiing competitively, and that aint cheap.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:22 AM
DyerMaker66

I have never purchased a stick that cost more than $150 (usually used an Easton Syngergy with the Lidstrom curve), nor have I ever purchased skates that cost more than $300 {before tax} (Current ones are similar to CCM Vector U+ 08 Hockey Skates Senior, but green). I guess I could've spent double that amount on equipment, but in reality I regularly had new equipment without bankrupting myself.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

It's so expensive to play hockey as a child. Yet, hockey is where the superstars make the least money compared to the superstars in the NFL, MLB, and especially NBA (and basketball is the cheapest sport to play).

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
It's so expensive to play hockey as a child. Yet, hockey is where the superstars make the least money compared to the superstars in the NFL, MLB, and especially NBA (and basketball is the cheapest sport to play).
Tennis can be expensive. Coaching, clinics, camps. Mind you, your good enough, all sponsored. But ya, hockey certainly in many parts of Canada, the US, Europe & Russia, pricing itself right out of reach. Most US and a huge % of Canadian draftee's are from upper middle class families, have ben for over 25yrs now whereas back in the day, the opposite was the case. Mostly kids from blue collar backgrounds, hard scrabble mining towns etc.