HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Vanek being a baby??

Old
07-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I was thinking along the lines of him being openly disruptive and vocal about being traded, e.g., saying he won't show up at camp if he gets moved, etc.

Just reaffirming Vanek's right to put his skills to work for a winner while Buffalo banks additional prospects/picks.

I agree...can't blame the guy if he decides to go.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:24 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

None of us know exactly what he's thinking right now or what the situation is in detail (how happy he is with the city, community, teammates, organization, how his kids and wife are doing in Buffalo etc.)...

But, from a competitive point of view, I could certainly understand him wanting to go to a contending team in his prime years and not be a part of a re-build that could take 5-6 years in all likeliness (Pens, Oilers, even Caps and Hawks... all took years and years of sucking... Well, Oilers are still sucking).

God I hate the silly reward-you-for-sucking draft system.
I've been watching NA pro sports since 1989, I could never get comfortable with the whole system.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Jim Carr's Rug

I'll preface this all by saying I'm a Thomas Vanek fan. For my own selfish reasons, I want him to remain a Buffalo Sabre. I love his game, and I hope I continue to watch it in the context of the Buffalo Sabres.

So that being said, I only want him here if he wants to be here. However, I'm still not exactly certain of his level of his unhappiness.

Can someone point towards his quotes and interviews in which he expresses his frustrations? Obviously I know Darcy and Pegulla have openly stated that they're exploring options with Miller and Vanek's contracts coming up, but I think I missed some of these Vanek quotes from which people have derived his unhappiness.

Just trying to separate fact and the negative Sabrenation speculation for my own edification.

Thanks.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
thekenneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
1. Boo frickin who
2. That shouldn't matter seeing Lindy isn't even here.
3. What does that have to do with anything about him not staying?
4. New staff, move on.
5. He is supposed to be that superstar player. He was drafted top 5 and got a contract at the time that paid him like a superstar. He has also had some pretty good centers to work with in the past.

when he had better centres he produced really well though.

thekenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:04 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I don't get how Vanek can be viewed as being a baby.

I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to be a part of a lengthy rebuild. And given Regier's poor track record of surrounding Vanek with talent that allows this team to be competitive, I would question Vanek's competitive drive if he was open to a fat paycheck to stay here.

Vanek has been my favorite Sabre for a while. But, I have no issue if he feels the best thing for himself is to move on.

That speaks more to me about Regier than Vanek.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I don't get how Vanek can be viewed as being a baby.

I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to be a part of a lengthy rebuild. And given Regier's poor track record of surrounding Vanek with talent that allows this team to be competitive, I would question Vanek's competitive drive if he was open to a fat paycheck to stay here.

Vanek has been my favorite Sabre for a while. But, I have no issue if he feels the best thing for himself is to move on.

That speaks more to me about Regier than Vanek.
Not sure how reliable it is but Hamilton said recently that Vanek's hesitation in re-committing to the Sabres is not because of any promoted "rebuild" but because he has lost faith and trust in Regier being the man tasked with making the decisions. He's seen the team go from a top 4 conference finalist to one missing the playoffs in 4 of the 6 seasons since. Now he hears Regier talk about taking a step backwards with a rebuild and probably is even less optimistic of success in the future.

If this is the case, it'd be a bizarre irony where Pegula would have to use his own personality/powers of persuasion on Vanek to overcome the negativity Vanek associates with the GM Pegula so highly endorses.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:33 PM
LGBuffalo

I don't think he's being a baby at all. I don't think he's turning his back on anyone either. He didn't hold his own press conference to announce he didn't really want to be a part of a rebuild. He was asked that question, and he answered it honestly. That's how a man handles himself, with honesty and sincerity. He's coming into a point where he can choose where he wants to go. If that happens to be Buffalo, excellent. If that happens to be Chicago to win a Stanley Cup, he's within his rights, and it would be understandable. I understand the loyalty question, and I would enjoy seeing loyalty from all professional athletes. However, Vanek has given a lot to the the Sabres organization and their fans without doing much complaining during these lean times. He'll be a Sabre to me no matter where he is in his career, and he's earned that respect, IMO.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Imlach a cup

Vanek owes the Sabres loyalty, as in playing through the rest of his contract. At that point its 2 distinct business entities and each has to do whats best. He could be throwing a tantrum in the media demanding that the team try to build a playoff contender immediately. He could be shouting about how Miller is abandoning the team and his farewell wave off after the last game was a childish move. He could be dragging Darcy through mud for not drafting skilled forwards, for moving Sekera for a pick that won't see the NHL for 3-4 years, or not aggressively pursuing Skinner. But he hasn't done any of that. He's acted like an adult and been very forward with what his plans are. He hasn't left his team in the dark nor demanded anything.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:49 AM
braindead

Is Vanek trade bait at this point? I think the Preds might overpay and run the risk of not re-signing him. We have the cap space. Would the Sabres rather keep him, though, and hope to re-sign him or trade at the deadline/ make a playoff run.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:56 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Lets see, aside from a two year fluke the team has sucked every year,he is an elite goal scorer yet the idiot coach gave him second line minutes and in the 8 seasons here Regier has added 0 1st line forwards to help Vanek. Why would he stay here? Hope the fans get ready for ten seasons of no star players coming here, no good player wants to play here.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
It is no secret Vanek doesn't want to be on this team anymore. I question whether his time with the Sabres has even been that bad to the point where he gets the right to sit here and just turn his back on the franchise. I can understand why a player like Nash wanted out of Columbus, but during Vanek's time with the Sabres he has won the President's Trophy, made it to the conference finals twice, 1st place in the NE three times, made the playoffs four times, and made a ton of money. He isn't that old and wouldn't he understand where this team is going and embrace being a leader. When I see a guy like Briere talking to the Sabres, I start to question why Vanek wouldn't be open to being a teacher and understand that in a couple years, things will be better. I just think Vanek is being a bit of a baby to a franchise that has been so good to him.

I know the responses I will already get, it's his right to walk at the end of next year, etc., but I guess I just feel like there should be more loyalty and understandability from Vanek.

A guy like Ott is another one who is embracing what is happening, why can't Vanek??
I disagree with the very premise of your entire post. Nowhere did he say he doesn't want to be on this team, he just said he wouldn't re-sign with the team if they were going to be enduring a longer rebuild.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Is Vanek trade bait at this point? I think the Preds might overpay and run the risk of not re-signing him. We have the cap space. Would the Sabres rather keep him, though, and hope to re-sign him or trade at the deadline/ make a playoff run.
We consider him to be but we can't honestly say we know what's in the heads of management + Vanek. All direct indications are that if Vanek wants to sign an extension then the team will go that route if the contract makes sense. It does seem unlikely to me that he'd want to, and Darcy has been adamant that he will not risk losing either Vanek or Miller for nothing the way he did Drury and Briere.

I think keeping him until the deadline is an option but not for the purposes of trying to extend him. If Darcy thinks the return right now is crap he might wait until the deadline and see how the market changes. I don't think he wants to do that, though.

Darcy is openly fielding offers on both players and in all likelihood (in mine and most others' opinion) will be moved. Nashville is one of the quality destinations we've discussed here but many thought it wasn't really their style to bring in a guy like Vanek. Personally, I see it as a great fit.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote