HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Stars re-sign Jordie Benn (3 years)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2013, 04:52 PM
  #51
RastaRockett
Registered User
 
RastaRockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Kenya
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Oh my.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:22 PM
  #52
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
LOLLLLLLLLLL it's a 1-way the final 2 years.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:25 PM
  #53
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Well that's... fun... I guess...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
  #54
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 28,522
vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I don't know if this is ridiculous, dramatic, or both. Going with both ....
It's neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This is what I was expecting minus the extra one way year. 2 years with Rome potentially as a 7, then Jordie replaces him in the 3rd year of his contract.

You need to have a guy you don't care about sitting for huge stretches to serve as a 7th. Benn and Rome are perfect for that, and both when used properly proved they could be dependable for a few games at a time.
You need a guy who can play in the NHL as your 7th D. That is not Jordie Benn. He is not dependable for any length of time.

3 years is absurd. 1 way is absurd.

I also don't believe in having brothers in the same organization.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
  #55
RastaRockett
Registered User
 
RastaRockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Kenya
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It's neither.

You need a guy who can play in the NHL as your 7th D. That is not Jordie Benn. He is not dependable for any length of time.

3 years is absurd. 1 way is absurd.

I also don't believe in having brothers in the same organization.
Except the Sedin twins.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
  #56
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,404
vCash: 500
I don't know what you people think a 7th defenceman should play like. Every single one of them is a guy that teams don't want in their lineup on a night to night basis. Jordie Benn is an adequate fill in at 15 minutes a night every now and then, there's nothing wrong with that deal.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #57
Sports
Registered User
 
Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,227
vCash: 500
Whether you think he deserves NHL time or not, I think we can all agree that he hasn't earned a one-way contract.
3 years is a lot for someone in that position as well.
Bleh.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
  #58
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
I think (as already said) the only question that should be asked is: Would he be on this team if Jamie wasn't? We know the answer, and we know why people aren't happy (for a lack of a better word) about this.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
  #59
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems
 
Nemeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
LOLLLLLLLLLL it's a 1-way the final 2 years.
My reaction:


Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
  #60
Troy McClure
BPA is a lie
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ShouldveDraftedDomi
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 36,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Larry View Post
Whether you think he deserves NHL time or not, I think we can all agree that he hasn't earned a one-way contract.
3 years is a lot for someone in that position as well.
Bleh.
This gives him another year of AHL experience before he's the full time #6/7. I don't mind it. He's nothing special, but neither are the team's current guys in that role. For what it's worth, in his limited time, he's shown himself to have a better offensive game than Rome or Larsen. Might as well see what a year adds to his game.

This is two regimes that seem to like him a lot. They certainly see more in him than fans do. Maybe it is worth waiting another year.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:56 PM
  #61
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
It's possible what we're seeing is that our owner is ok with paying an insurance policy player NHL money even if he ends up playing most of that time in the AHL.

I agree with the sentiment though that if he had a different last name I doubt he signs this exact same deal.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:44 AM
  #62
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,905
vCash: 500
per Cap Geek ....$700K Cap Hit; Confirmed Y1 2-way, Y2-3 1-way

Based on new rules, He can be assigned to the AHL in Y2-3, and Dallas wouldn't have to carry a cap hit.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
  #63
UpGoesRupp
Registered User
 
UpGoesRupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Dmen can't get written off at 25. Benn has a lot of potential to make a case for top 6 duty. Also, makes it so the young players are more competitive in camp... The hate for him as a dman is sad on these boards. Dallas has defensive defender in robidas. Literally every other dman on the team looked foolish out there against opposing top lines. Benn won't be a super star but he will make a niche in the NHL. To say all he'll ever be is a serviceable 7th after one year in the league is hilarious.

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:03 PM
  #64
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpGoesRupp View Post
Dmen can't get written off at 25. Benn has a lot of potential to make a case for top 6 duty. Also, makes it so the young players are more competitive in camp... The hate for him as a dman is sad on these boards. Dallas has defensive defender in robidas. Literally every other dman on the team looked foolish out there against opposing top lines. Benn won't be a super star but he will make a niche in the NHL. To say all he'll ever be is a serviceable 7th after one year in the league is hilarious.
I guess I missed all the time Dillon was looking foolish when I was looking up what icing was again.

You might be right about him still improving, but he doesn't have the ceiling of Oleksiak, Morrow, or Bystrom and is probably going to be in the way of Connaughton, Gaunce, and Nemeth getting important minutes in the AHL. Blocking guys who could be something with a guy whose upside is about a 6 doesn't make a ton of sense.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
  #65
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I guess I missed all the time Dillon was looking foolish when I was looking up what icing was again.

You might be right about him still improving, but he doesn't have the ceiling of Oleksiak, Morrow, or Bystrom and is probably going to be in the way of Connaughton, Gaunce, and Nemeth getting important minutes in the AHL. Blocking guys who could be something with a guy whose upside is about a 6 doesn't make a ton of sense.
Nill's already said they believe Connauton will be in the NHL, and we've already talked about him "blocking" people. That's silly. Desjardins is still the coach, and unless he totally revamps his coaching style, that dude religiously rotates his lines and D pair. You rarely see him deviate from who going to 1 pair to the next in the same order.

Worse case scenario, he pushes Labrie to the ECHL who has even less potential than Benn. I'm no Benn fan, but I've yet to see a reasonable argument that he is so bad he can't be a reliable veteran D in the AHL (you can't have a roster of 1st and 2nd year AHL players on D) or depth D in the NHL. If he's the reason a better player is on the bench in the future ... I'll lend you my torch for the mob.The dramatic response to this contract though is premature and silly.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  #66
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,866
vCash: 500
The big concern here is the fact that a few of you seem to think he'll just stay in that #7 role. You know damn well with whoever is coaching the team, that he'll be a 'great guy, with good character' and will grab important minutes from a kid with an actual future in the NHL.

I don't know where you guys have been watching hockey, but Benn is nowhere near NHL calibre.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
  #67
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
The big concern here is the fact that a few of you seem to think he'll just stay in that #7 role. You know damn well with whoever is coaching the team, that he'll be a 'great guy, with good character' and will grab important minutes from a kid with an actual future in the NHL.

I don't know where you guys have been watching hockey, but Benn is nowhere near NHL calibre.
You're guaranteeing something that's impossible to say for sure. Call me crazy, but I'm a little sick of just assuming things are going to suck. More annoyingly though is assuming we're right 100% of the time.

I'm just choosing to see that this isn't definitely a bad thing. There's just clearly more to this than an absolutely terrible contract signifying the downfall of an organization. Some people's reactions are that silly.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
  #68
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
You're guaranteeing something that's impossible to say for sure. Call me crazy, but I'm a little sick of just assuming things are going to suck. More annoyingly though is assuming we're right 100% of the time.

I'm just choosing to see that this isn't definitely a bad thing. There's just clearly more to this than an absolutely terrible contract signifying the downfall of an organization. Some people's reactions are that silly.
No G, THIS IS THE END!!!!!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  #69
Ambassador Of Fun
Registered User
 
Ambassador Of Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It's neither.

You need a guy who can play in the NHL as your 7th D. That is not Jordie Benn. He is not dependable for any length of time.

3 years is absurd. 1 way is absurd.

I also don't believe in having brothers in the same organization.
The real reason we traded James Neal finally emerges. So long Jamie Benn.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:43 PM
  #70
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?
 
Stevonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
3 year extension for Jordie Benn per his agent Rich Evans.

@Hockeyagent


https://twitter.com/Hockeyagent/stat...39993256820736

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 08:21 PM
  #71
MB94
Registered User
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,571
vCash: 500
I think it's safe to say he has been one of our better D's so far. Now who saw that coming..

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 08:31 PM
  #72
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,866
vCash: 500
God dammit. I knew this thread would surface again.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
  #73
MB94
Registered User
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,571
vCash: 500
It had to happen lol!

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  #74
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
I think it's safe to say he has been one of our better D's so far. Now who saw that coming..
I defended the deal, does that count?

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 11:08 PM
  #75
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,840
vCash: 500
I'm happily surprised with Jordie so far.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.