HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

QC/SEA Expansion With Happy DET/CBJ (Alignment Options)

Old
07-03-2013, 03:57 AM
KevFu

vCash: 500
QC/SEA Expansion With Happy DET/CBJ (Alignment Options)

With 32 teams, you create eight divisions of four.
Since no one wants to go to the Western Conference, eliminate the Western Conference. Put a Western Division in each conference.

6 vs division team (18)
4 vs rest of conference (48)
4 vs "rival" division (16). A vs A, B vs B, C vs C, D vs D

MODEL 1
CAMPBELL
A- MON, TOR, QUE, OTT
B- NYI, NYR, NJD, BOS
C- WIN, MIN, COL, DAL
D- EDM, CAL, VAN, SEA

WALES
A- WAS, DET, CAR, NAS
B- PHI, PIT, CBJ, BUF
C- FLA, TB, CHI, STL
D- LA, ANA, SJ, PHX

MODEL 2:
CAMPBELL
A- MON, BOS, QUE, OTT
B- NYI, NYR, NJD, WAS
C- WIN, MIN, COL, DAL
D- EDM, CAL, VAN, SEA

WALES
A- TOR, DET, CHI, STL
B- PHI, PIT, CBJ, BUF
C- CAR, FLA, TB, NAS
D- LA, ANA, SJ, PHX

MODEL 3
CAMPBELL
A- MON, BOS, QUE, OTT
B- NYI, NYR, NJD, WAS
C- WIN, MIN, COL, DAL
D- EDM, CAL, VAN, SEA

WALES
A- TOR, DET, CAR, NAS
B- PHI, PIT, CBJ, BUF
C- FLA, TB, CHI, STL
D- LA, ANA, SJ, PHX

In Model 1 & Model 3
DET: 26 ETZ road games, 8 MT/PT games.
CBJ: 27 ETZ road games, 8 MT/PT games.

In Model 2:
DET: 25 ETZ road games, 8 MT/PT games.
CBJ: 27 ETZ road games, 8 MT/PT games.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I think it's QC & a 2nd Toronto team sliding into the Central Division with Colorado

Colorado, San Jose, Phoenix, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Kings & Ducks
Nashville, Toronto 2, Quebec, Dallas, St Louis, Minnesota, Chicago & Winnepeg
Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa, Florida & Tampa
New Jersey, NYR, NYI, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Carolina & CBJ

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:58 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I think it's QC & a 2nd Toronto team sliding into the Central Division with Colorado

Well, that one was easy, we did it weeks ago:

WALES
A- MON, BOS, OTT, QUE
B- NYI, NYR, NJD, WAS
C- WIN, MIN, CHI, STL
D- EDM, CAL, VAN, COL

CAMPBELL
A- TOR, MARK, DET, BUF
B- PHI, PIT, CAR, CBJ
C- FLA, TB, NASH, DAL
D- ANA, LA, SJ, PHX

Last edited by KevFu: 07-03-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Well, that one was so easy, we did it weeks ago.
I had no idea, I just don't want/like the idea of "NFL-ing" the NHL

4 divisions >>>>>>>>>>> 8 .... jmo though

Old
07-03-2013, 05:17 AM
KevFu

Quote:
I had no idea, I just don't want/like the idea of "NFL-ing" the NHL

4 divisions >>>>>>>>>>> 8 .... jmo though
That's 100% true if we have 8 Mountain/Pacific time zones, 8 central, and 16 eastern time zone teams...

But it's Quebec and either Seattle or Markham/Hamilton that need teams; not Seattle and Houston (and COL playing nice and going Central).

The key part of the 8 divisions is the A vs A, B vs B, C vs C, D vs D being the ONLY games teams play out of conference.

For the PT/MT teams, it's virtually the same thing: They are going to have 4 or 5 games vs each other in the new alignment, and would play 6 vs three teams and 4 vs four teams in this model.

For the CTZ/ETZ teams, you mix up CTZ and ETZ so that no one or two ETZ team (CBJ, DET, MARK, etc) isn't stuck playing only a few road games in their time zones.

Each team basically has 19 opponents in their conference, playing 3 teams 6 times and 16 teams four times.
Instead of 15 teams in their conference, playing 7/8 each 4-5 times, and 7/8 only 2-3 times, and 2 vs everyone in the other conference.

It just replaces HALF games that "don't matter" (like VAN vs Carolina, Florida and Tampa) with more games that DO matter (like DET, CBJ vs Eastern Time Zone teams).

Old
07-03-2013, 05:27 AM
KevFu

Of course, the way for balance, Quebec and a Southern Ontario team joining is to add them and FOUR Western teams (like Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Houston)

East (All ETZ)
MON, BOS, OTT, QUE, TOR, DET
NYI, NYR, NJD, WAS, PHI, PIT
WAS, CAR, TB, FLA, CBJ, HAM

West
MIN, CHI, STL, NASH, DAL, HOU
EDM, CAL, VAN, SEA, PORT, WIN
ANA, LA, SJ, PHX, COL, SLC

Old
07-03-2013, 07:34 AM
gstommylee

Quote:

Its not going to be a 2dn Tor team. No way they go witn 2 Canadian teams with seattle still available.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Its not going to be a 2dn Tor team. No way they go witn 2 Canadian teams with seattle still available.
NYC area has 3 (45 minutes from Newark to Brooklyn), why doesn't the ACC have a 2nd team or 3rd team for that matter ? Staples has 3 Sports teams playing inside ... makes no sense to me and everyone else that's a fan of this sport ... LA has 2 teams (Anaheim is a 30.5 mile drive) from Staples to Honda... just my $ .02

Old
07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I don't think you're going to see "mixed conferences". It works in the NFL because you only play one game a week, and it works in baseball because you stay in a city for 3-4 days, but with one off leagues like the NHL and NBA you sort of need that split otherwise the travel is going to be burdensome.

Based on the breakdown now, I think you'd be more likely to see expansion to two Western cities (Seattle, Portland, Houston, KC, etc.) than adding another team from the Northeast.

I only really see QC and Markham getting back in the league through a relocation of another Eastern Conference team. With Detroit and CBJ coming back to the Eastern Conference, the league is so East heavy at this point. Given Detroit's clout in the league, they arent going back West anytime soon either.

Last edited by IceAce: 07-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.
IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
If it's SEA and QC added, I can see the league going back to 4 conference format that was approved in Dec 2011 and then shot down by the PA

Conf A: Van, Edm, Cgy, Phx, Sea, SJ, Ana, LA
Conf B: Wpg, Min, Chi, Stl, Dal, Nsh, Det, Col
Conf C: Tor, Ott, Mtl, QC, Buf, Bos, TB, Fla
Conf D: NYR, NYI, NJ, Phl, Pit, Was, Car, Cbj

Top 4 make the playoffs per conference - the PA won't have an issue since it will be balanced this time.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Crayton

Easy, if a 14-16 split is no problem, then a 15-17 split should be even easier. Just add Seattle to the Pacific/West and Quebec to the (North)East. At least then the wild-card system we are getting will have practical value with different sized divisions within the same conference.

But really, this is my vote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
If it's SEA and QC added, I can see the league going back to 4 conference format that was approved in Dec 2011 and then shot down by the PA

Conf A: Van, Edm, Cgy, Phx, Sea, SJ, Ana, LA
Conf B: Wpg, Min, Chi, Stl, Dal, Nsh, Det, Col
Conf C: Tor, Ott, Mtl, QC, Buf, Bos, TB, Fla
Conf D: NYR, NYI, NJ, Phl, Pit, Was, Car, Cbj

Top 4 make the playoffs per conference - the PA won't have an issue since it will be balanced this time.

Crayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:05 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Seen how Quebec was pushed aside as soon as Seattle installed a telephone...I doubt it's going to be Quebec anyway. Toronto has the money.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:37 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

It wouldn't be NFL-izing the NHL... it's just math. I'll repost what I put here before.

6 games vs. division rivals = 18
4 games vs. conference rivals = 16
home-and-home against other conference teams = 48

18 + 16 + 48 = 82

Conference playoffs - Two division winners take 1/2 seeds, with the next two best records in the conference grabbing wild cards. (can be from same division). Top division winner plays bottom wild card based on record.

Four conference playoff winners reseeded based on record. Stanley Cup semifinal is 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Winners go onto the Final.

Some issues it solves, and some issues where it is not as bad as it seems.

-It restores a number of rivalry games. Chicago and Detroit meet 6 times. NJD/NYI/NYR play each other 6 times. LA/ANA, EDM/CAL, etc. Currently (2013-14 realignment), the larger division grouping means only 4 meetings between many strong rivals.

-PHI and PIT split up? Doesn't matter. Under the current system they will play 4 times most years. Same with this. Since playoffs are based within conferences, possibly of meeting in the playoffs is not squandered.

-Detroit will ultimately only see a few more CTZ games than they see now. They will have 57 ETZ games, 15 CTZ games, and 10 MTZ/PTZ games.

-Nashville, Chicago, and St. Louis all regain their biggest and most important rival.

-Creates a stronger two-level rivalry. 1998-2013, you had 4 division rivals and 14 conference rivals. You would now have 3 divisional opponents and 7 conference opponents. Rivalry games would mean more and become more heated.

-Smaller conference playoffs (from 8 to 4 participants) means continuing playoff rivalries are likely to develop.

-Creates balance throughout the league, as opposed to the current 14 West/16 East crap.

-the Florida teams are better served with Philly, Pitt, and NYC-area fans coming down the interstate, and attracting the former Northeasterners that live there already.

If the Red Wings throw such a fit over it that the whole thing is a non-starter, then shift Columbus back and keep Detroit in the NE. Either way... one of them is going to have to go eventually.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:39 AM
King_Stannis

The only blessing to come out of the Glendale fiasco is that now I don't have to choose one city over the other. Hopefully expansion will come soon to both Seattle and Quebec City, two cities that are actuallly deserving of a team.

King_Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:45 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Stannis View Post
The only blessing to come out of the Glendale fiasco is that now I don't have to choose one city over the other. Hopefully expansion will come soon to both Seattle and Quebec City, two cities that are actuallly deserving of a team.
Plus, I honestly think it would be strange if the Winnipeg Jets (1972-1996) and the Quebec Nordiques (2013- ) were the same franchise.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I think the best thing that could happen to the NHL is if the two Florida franchises are sold to Seattle and Quebec, rather than having to start from scratch and ruining the league via expansion. It will be the only way to keep Detroit and Columbus happy while guaranteeing Seattle gets bonafide talent to actually attract fans into seeing what this hockey thing is.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:55 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I think the best thing that could happen to the NHL is if the two Florida franchises are sold to Seattle and Quebec, rather than having to start from scratch and ruining the league via expansion. It will be the only way to keep Detroit and Columbus happy while guaranteeing Seattle gets bonafide talent to actually attract fans into seeing what this hockey thing is.
Florida is not moving. Maybe Tampa will go to Quebec eventually, but I don't think it's in the foreseeable future.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:07 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Florida is not moving. Maybe Tampa will go to Quebec eventually, but I don't think it's in the foreseeable future.
It's just an opinion of mine. Every time I go through realignment, it's always the Florida teams that mess things up, and neither of them really contribute much to the NHL in ways of revenue. It would be better if they were put in actual hockey markets. That way, you avoid expanding yourselves to death as well as the period where your team sucks because it's full of rejects and AHLers after the expansion draft.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Crayton

Quote:
It wouldn't be NFL-izing the NHL... it's just math. I'll repost what I put here before.

18 + 16 + 48 = 82

Conference playoffs - Two division winners take 1/2 seeds, with the next two best records in the conference grabbing wild cards. (can be from same division). Top division winner plays bottom wild card based on record.

Four conference playoff winners reseeded based on record. Stanley Cup semifinal is 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Winners go onto the Final.

Some issues it solves, and some issues where it is not as bad as it seems.

-It restores a number of rivalry games. Chicago and Detroit meet 6 times. NJD/NYI/NYR play each other 6 times. LA/ANA, EDM/CAL, etc. Currently (2013-14 realignment), the larger division grouping means only 4 meetings between many strong rivals.

-PHI and PIT split up? Doesn't matter. Under the current system they will play 4 times most years. Same with this. Since playoffs are based within conferences, possibly of meeting in the playoffs is not squandered.

-Detroit will ultimately only see a few more CTZ games than they see now. They will have 57 ETZ games, 15 CTZ games, and 10 MTZ/PTZ games.

-Nashville, Chicago, and St. Louis all regain their biggest and most important rival.

-Creates a stronger two-level rivalry. 1998-2013, you had 4 division rivals and 14 conference rivals. You would now have 3 divisional opponents and 7 conference opponents. Rivalry games would mean more and become more heated.

-Smaller conference playoffs (from 8 to 4 participants) means continuing playoff rivalries are likely to develop.

-Creates balance throughout the league, as opposed to the current 14 West/16 East crap.

-the Florida teams are better served with Philly, Pitt, and NYC-area fans coming down the interstate, and attracting the former Northeasterners that live there already.

If the Red Wings throw such a fit over it that the whole thing is a non-starter, then shift Columbus back and keep Detroit in the NE. Either way... one of them is going to have to go eventually.
BINGO! Especially like your point about PIT-PHI only playing 4 times most years in the new alignment anyway.

Crayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:39 AM
gstommylee

NHL wants seattle cause tv market.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:51 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 869
Quote:

18 + 16 + 48 = 82
I'd actually be very much in favor of something along these lines.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
NYC area has 3 (45 minutes from Newark to Brooklyn), why doesn't the ACC have a 2nd team or 3rd team for that matter ? Staples has 3 Sports teams playing inside ... makes no sense to me and everyone else that's a fan of this sport ... LA has 2 teams (Anaheim is a 30.5 mile drive) from Staples to Honda... just my $ .02
North West America has 0. There is a lot of potential to be tapped into there.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Here is my less travel version:

Div 1: Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Quebec City
Div 2: Brooklyn - NYR - New Jersey - Boston
Div 3: Pittsburgh - Philadelphia - Columbus - Buffalo
Div 4: Washington - Carolina - Tampa Bay - Florida
Div 5: Nashville - St.Louis - Dallas - Colorado
Div 6: Detroit - Chicago - Minnesota - Winnipeg
Div 7: Seattle - Calgary - Edmonton - Vancouver
Div 8 : Phoenix - San Jose - Los Angeles - Anaheim

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Here is my less travel version:

Div 1: Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Quebec City
Div 2: Brooklyn - NYR - New Jersey - Boston
Div 3: Pittsburgh - Philadelphia - Columbus - Buffalo
Div 4: Washington - Carolina - Tampa Bay - Florida
Div 5: Nashville - St.Louis - Dallas - Colorado
Div 6: Detroit - Chicago - Minnesota - Winnipeg
Div 7: Seattle - Calgary - Edmonton - Vancouver
Div 8 : Phoenix - San Jose - Los Angeles - Anaheim
I like the premise here, but you separated 2 of the NHL's closest franchises in Buffalo and Toronto. With the prices at ACC, it's probably for the best that Toronto's more blue collar hockey fans have every opportunity to get down to watch a game in Buffalo as often as possible. It's a relationship that really helps both clubs.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:26 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
I don't see Detroit or Columbus agreeing to go back to the Western conference or a version of it. They've paid their dues in that conference & I don't see why they would move back for 1 or 2 expansion cities to have an easier time. I think it's more likely that Seattle/QC/Toronto 2 are in the Western conference. Depending on who gets in it could be both move into the central or 1 moves into the central & one is in the Pacific division.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote