Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Ryan Button also stood out at development camp. We all know how that ended up.
Griffith and Camara outstanding in drills; Ferlin best player of camp to me

Old
07-14-2013, 02:03 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Ryan Button also stood out at development camp. We all know how that ended up.
Ryan Button was an oddball case, he was a guy who always looked better in shorts than a sweater. In the NFL they call it a workout warrior.

Button was a mediocre junior player who always had better tools than production. The Bruins took a shot on him, and as we saw in development camp his tools were really good, but he never developed at all as a hockey player

Camara has already had a much better season in juniors than Button ever did, he was a legitimate impact player this year

Ferlin really intrigues me. Had a fantastic Freshman year and flattened as a Soph. I suspect this will be his last year of school, as I think the Bruins will sign him at the end of the year.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
Haha they are part of the "etc" !

This is gonna be a good PB team
Definitely missed the "etc". Time for a new prescription Paulie!

Reading up on all the users comments on O'Gara and then reading his blog on the B's site really gives an idea of how mature this kid is and what kind of leadership the Bruins should have down the road. He seems to still be hungry even after the NCAA championship with Yale. Be interesting to see how he progresses on that team these next few years. Tommy Cross is another player that comes to mind.

Old
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
DKH

Fun camp lot of surprising players even without a first rounder Boston has some kids on the way- love the potential of Cehlarik; Ferlin had a fantastic week; Camara to me was overall best player; Griffith has sweet hands shifty dying to see in games just a pleasure to watch : the kids from Bowling Green (Carpenter) and Penn State (Bailey) were noticeable and the two that showed a lot of improvement from last year were Hargrove and Benning.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Definitely missed the "etc". Time for a new prescription Paulie!

Reading up on all the users comments on O'Gara and then reading his blog on the B's site really gives an idea of how mature this kid is and what kind of leadership the Bruins should have down the road. He seems to still be hungry even after the NCAA championship with Yale. Be interesting to see how he progresses on that team these next few years. Tommy Cross is another player that comes to mind.

News of contracts for Tardif, Hanson, Caron, etc. has been hard to find.

The poster may have referred to this comment by GM Chiarelli at the close of training camp.

"We’re done for now," said Chiarelli from Ristuccia Arena on Sunday, where the last day of on-ice workouts for the prospects at Development Camp had wrapped up.

"There’s some little things that you need to take care of but nothing significant."

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost....id=DL|BOS|home

Old
07-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

A few photos from today's camp

Ryan Fitzgerald (looks just like his dad. Boston College Freshman)

Brian Ferlin (He's ready for Providence but still has 2 years left at Cornell University)

Robbie O'Gara (#76, Yale University Sophomore) and Matt Grzelcyk (#88, Boston University Sophomore)

Colton Hargrove (one to watch, Western Michigan University Sophomore)

I am Boston Strong

Old
07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
4ORRBRUIN

My son's input from today's practices:

Casto: best player on the ice in my opinion. You can tell he's played a few pro games and has a few more years of development in comparison to most of the players on the ice. Great skater, good shot from the point, made numerous good decisions positionally and reactionary.

Sherman: RAW. Reminds me a little of what O'Gara looked like last year. Long term project, will be interesting to see what a year at Harvard will do for his development. He was beat quite a few times today pretty easily, was very surprised considering what has been said on these boards but an off day at development camp isn't the end of the world.

Grzelcyk: excellent skater and very comfortable with the puck, just so damn small. Was beat a couple times due his lack of size alone, but guys like him can easily make up for it when the puck is on his stick.

O'Gara: loved what I saw from this kid. Much improved in comaprison to last year. Showed improvements in puck skills and footspeed. Very underated pick last year could do big things when he turns pro.

Arnesson: Best footspeed and lateral movement of all the defensemen. He looked very solid on the one on one battles and wasn't beat often. Good pick-up at 60 will take 2 years before an impact over here in my opinion.

For the forwards:

Camara: If this kid continues on the path he has over the last two years, I think he's going to make a some noise on the Bruins sooner rather than later. Was the best forward on the ice in my opinion. Solid and strong on the puck and has very underrated skill and a heavy shot. Toe dragged a defender and went shelf on Subban for one of the better goals of the day.

Cehlarik: There's something about this guy. Big and silky smooth with the puck, I can see the Kopitar comparison I saw someone at the draft tweet based on the size and skill. I love the potential value in this pick considering where we got him and am really interested to watch his development. Could be a steal if he works in his foot speed like some have mentioned.

Fitzgerald: Everything you read about him is spot on. Smart player with an obvious head for the game. Makes up for his lack of size with skill and positioning. BC is a good spot for his development.

Blidh: Good skater and decent hands. Definately another project will need 2-3 years in Sweden.

Griffith: Was on another level skill and poise wise and it showed on the 3v3s and 4v4s. Difficult to take the puck away from and made a few Krejci like passes out of nowhere. Not the best skater but I think he has the skill to make a good pro in the A for now.

Ferlin: Reminds me of Craig Smith on Nashville. Similar skating style, was very comfortable in posession of the puck, decent shot. In my opinion would make a big impact in Providence if he went pro. In comparison to camp invites and college players Carpenter and Bailey, was just flat out better in every aspect despite being younger than both.

Goalies:

Subban: looks bigger and is incredibly athletic. Mechanics look a little better than last year. It's hard to judge a goalie based on these camps and constant drills ending in 1 on 0 shots. Easily manuevers and improves on angles when theres traffic around him (much more evident in the 3v3s and 4v4s).

Gothberg: just keeps getting better year after year. Time will tell with this kid after he hopefully takes over as number 1 at UND. We knew he would be a long project but I liked this pick a couple years ago and have no problem after seeing him over the course of three camps as a high schooler, USHL, and college goalie.

Few other notes: I like Carpenter who has good hands and shot and thought Bailey looked solid and backed up his PPG average in junior and college. I didn't get the Dempsey pick when they made it and still don't (even though it was a 7th). Has no skill, okay shot, and was a very choppy skater. Hargrove showed a bit of improvement in comparison to last year, good skater for a kid his size and heavy shot. Benning is another guy who is much improved and looked much more comfortable out there, solid commit for Northeastern. Looks like a solid, no nonsense type of d-man who keeps it simple and just gets the job done.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Ogrim

Very much appreciate your reports and the fact that Camara, Ferlin and O'Gara are coming along.

I'd like to request an opinion on Daniel Brodins performance though. Him being invited caught me off guard and I got all exited.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrim View Post
Very much appreciate your reports and the fact that Camara, Ferlin and O'Gara are coming along.

I'd like to request an opinion on Daniel Brodins performance though. Him being invited caught me off guard and I got all exited.
He was better today than yesterday. More confident. He has a good physical game and wasnt afraid of going into the boards with Ferlin. He got crunched a few times but got right back up.

He was consistent all camp. We shall see what happens now.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
He was better today than yesterday. More confident. He has a good physical game and wasnt afraid of going into the boards with Ferlin. He got crunched a few times but got right back up.

He was consistent all camp. We shall see what happens now.
It will be interesting to see. He was probably the only guy at the camp fighting for a contract. Sure the college kids will be looking for one in the future, but I think brodin is the only one who is hoping to get a chance at Providence this year

Old
07-14-2013, 07:52 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrim View Post

Brodin looked solid like Alicat said. Has good speed and protects the puck pretty well when attacking the net. Looks like he had a decent playoffs in SM-liiga which is probably a big reason why he got an invite, I can't comment on whether or not he did enough all camp to get a contract though.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Ogrim

Thank you guys.
I was afraid Brodin didn't bring it to camp but it seems like he did and that's enough for me but we'll see how it goes down.
Going to get the (awful quality) AHL live subscription this season. That Providence team will be something special.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:32 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Griffith and Camara outstanding in drills; Ferlin best player of camp to me

Quote:
Fun camp lot of surprising players even without a first rounder Boston has some kids on the way- love the potential of Cehlarik; Ferlin had a fantastic week; Camara to me was overall best player; Griffith has sweet hands shifty dying to see in games just a pleasure to watch : the kids from Bowling Green (Carpenter) and Penn State (Bailey) were noticeable and the two that showed a lot of improvement from last year were Hargrove and Benning.
Just curious was there anyone else, who was the best player?.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Ogrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis Trophy View Post
[/B]

Knight.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
DKH

Quote:
[/B]

I'm just trying to get it all out before I sign off

Old
07-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
I'm just trying to get it all out before I sign off
Too much sun

Old
07-14-2013, 10:13 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Too much sun
After a few days of Dev camp, I am thinking frostbite

Old
07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
After a few days of Dev camp, I am thinking frostbite
I love it as I HATE the HOT HUMID days !

07-15-2013, 12:31 PM
bede

Again, thanks for all the updates!

Old
07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Good read

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...ScK/story.html

Old
07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Saxon Eric

Quote:
[/B]

Everybody gets a trophy

Old
07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Richard Murray
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to Richard Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Ryan Button was an oddball case, he was a guy who always looked better in shorts than a sweater. In the NFL they call it a workout warrior.

Button was a mediocre junior player who always had better tools than production. The Bruins took a shot on him, and as we saw in development camp his tools were really good, but he never developed at all as a hockey player

Camara has already had a much better season in juniors than Button ever did, he was a legitimate impact player this year

Ferlin really intrigues me. Had a fantastic Freshman year and flattened as a Soph. I suspect this will be his last year of school, as I think the Bruins will sign him at the end of the year.
Wouldn't be shocked if Ferlin left early, but you don't go to an Ivy League school to leave early.

07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Richard Murray
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to Richard Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
My son's input from today's practices:

Casto: best player on the ice in my opinion. You can tell he's played a few pro games and has a few more years of development in comparison to most of the players on the ice. Great skater, good shot from the point, made numerous good decisions positionally and reactionary.

Sherman: RAW. Reminds me a little of what O'Gara looked like last year. Long term project, will be interesting to see what a year at Harvard will do for his development. He was beat quite a few times today pretty easily, was very surprised considering what has been said on these boards but an off day at development camp isn't the end of the world.

Grzelcyk: excellent skater and very comfortable with the puck, just so damn small. Was beat a couple times due his lack of size alone, but guys like him can easily make up for it when the puck is on his stick.

O'Gara: loved what I saw from this kid. Much improved in comaprison to last year. Showed improvements in puck skills and footspeed. Very underated pick last year could do big things when he turns pro.

Arnesson: Best footspeed and lateral movement of all the defensemen. He looked very solid on the one on one battles and wasn't beat often. Good pick-up at 60 will take 2 years before an impact over here in my opinion.

For the forwards:

Camara: If this kid continues on the path he has over the last two years, I think he's going to make a some noise on the Bruins sooner rather than later. Was the best forward on the ice in my opinion. Solid and strong on the puck and has very underrated skill and a heavy shot. Toe dragged a defender and went shelf on Subban for one of the better goals of the day.

Cehlarik: There's something about this guy. Big and silky smooth with the puck, I can see the Kopitar comparison I saw someone at the draft tweet based on the size and skill. I love the potential value in this pick considering where we got him and am really interested to watch his development. Could be a steal if he works in his foot speed like some have mentioned.

Fitzgerald: Everything you read about him is spot on. Smart player with an obvious head for the game. Makes up for his lack of size with skill and positioning. BC is a good spot for his development.

Blidh: Good skater and decent hands. Definately another project will need 2-3 years in Sweden.

Griffith: Was on another level skill and poise wise and it showed on the 3v3s and 4v4s. Difficult to take the puck away from and made a few Krejci like passes out of nowhere. Not the best skater but I think he has the skill to make a good pro in the A for now.

Ferlin: Reminds me of Craig Smith on Nashville. Similar skating style, was very comfortable in posession of the puck, decent shot. In my opinion would make a big impact in Providence if he went pro. In comparison to camp invites and college players Carpenter and Bailey, was just flat out better in every aspect despite being younger than both.

Goalies:

Subban: looks bigger and is incredibly athletic. Mechanics look a little better than last year. It's hard to judge a goalie based on these camps and constant drills ending in 1 on 0 shots. Easily manuevers and improves on angles when theres traffic around him (much more evident in the 3v3s and 4v4s).

Gothberg: just keeps getting better year after year. Time will tell with this kid after he hopefully takes over as number 1 at UND. We knew he would be a long project but I liked this pick a couple years ago and have no problem after seeing him over the course of three camps as a high schooler, USHL, and college goalie.

Few other notes: I like Carpenter who has good hands and shot and thought Bailey looked solid and backed up his PPG average in junior and college. I didn't get the Dempsey pick when they made it and still don't (even though it was a 7th). Has no skill, okay shot, and was a very choppy skater. Hargrove showed a bit of improvement in comparison to last year, good skater for a kid his size and heavy shot. Benning is another guy who is much improved and looked much more comfortable out there, solid commit for Northeastern. Looks like a solid, no nonsense type of d-man who keeps it simple and just gets the job done.
I thought Gothberg was the best goalie at the camp (performance wise). Almost makes me want to bump him up to a 7.5C considering first year at UND, but I'm going to hold off for now.

Closed Thread