HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny looking at Buffalo (Signs with Montreal)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
  #101
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Boy, for someone who said he's no longer going to post on here three weeks ago, you sure are posting a lot!

Foot in mouth? What changed your mind? Let me guess, you missed our warm and fuzzy personalities.
I decided to punch in on draft day and I had more than a couple PM's talking about "please don't go Karate".

So I give the people what they want. How is it fair to let a few bad eggs ruin it for everyone? That's not what I'm about.

Karate Johnson is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:11 AM
  #102
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Pierre LeBrun just tweeted briere is down to 3 teams but did not name the teams
@EricEngels: Three teams remaining on #briere are believed to be Nashville, New Jersey, Montreal


Phew!

Karate Johnson is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
  #103
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
@EricEngels: Three teams remaining on #briere are believed to be Nashville, New Jersey, Montreal


Phew!
No way Montreal is there. He already has expressed not wanting to play there in the past.

BloFan4Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:25 AM
  #104
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
LeBrun disagrees

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Daniel Briere cut his list down to 3 teams late last night before sleeping on it...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: And I believe that Montreal is one of those 3 teams still in on Briere...

Karate Johnson is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  #105
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
LeBrun disagrees

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Daniel Briere cut his list down to 3 teams late last night before sleeping on it...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: And I believe that Montreal is one of those 3 teams still in on Briere...
Doesn't mean much.

BloFan4Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
  #106
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
It means a guy way more dialed in than you or I believes it. It means more than a old rumor about how Briere doesn't want to play there.

Karate Johnson is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  #107
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m
I believe the final 3 on Daniel Briere are the Devils, Predators and Habs
Put your 48 jersey's back in the closet.

TehDoak is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
  #108
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Put your 48 jersey's back in the closet.
That sounds completely speculative to me.

And I don't expect Briere to sign back in Buffalo.

gallagt01 is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:13 AM
  #109
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
@EricEngels: Three teams remaining on #briere are believed to be Nashville, New Jersey, Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
That sounds completely speculative to me.

And I don't expect Briere to sign back in Buffalo.
I understand why he'd have reservations about the Buffalo situation and that he'd have interest in NJ & Montreal - but I have no clue why he'd be keen on Nashville - they're neither a serious Cup contender nor geographically close to south Jersey where Briere's home and kids are. IIRC, the Preds don't have any former teammates of Briere's in their lineup.

Did someone forget to tell Danny that JP Dumont left Nashville several years ago?

Sabretip is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  #110
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I understand why he'd have reservations about the Buffalo situation and that he'd have interest in NJ & Montreal - but I have no clue why he'd be keen on Nashville - they're neither a serious Cup contender nor geographically close to south Jersey where Briere's home and kids are. IIRC, the Preds don't have any former teammates of Briere's in their lineup.

Did someone forget to tell Danny that JP Dumont left Nashville several years ago?
Paul Gaustad.

I agree, though. Perhaps the Preds are throwing some serious coin Danny's way?

gallagt01 is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
  #111
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I understand why he'd have reservations about the Buffalo situation and that he'd have interest in NJ & Montreal - but I have no clue why he'd be keen on Nashville - they're neither a serious Cup contender nor geographically close to south Jersey where Briere's home and kids are. IIRC, the Preds don't have any former teammates of Briere's in their lineup.

Did someone forget to tell Danny that JP Dumont left Nashville several years ago?
Maybe Danny thought last year was an aberration for Nashville. With Seth Jones now in the fold, Josi a year older, and an expected return to form by Rinne, they're no less of a playoff contender than Jersey.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 11:45 AM
  #112
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Paul Gaustad.
Geez, how did I forget that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Maybe Danny thought last year was an aberration for Nashville. With Seth Jones now in the fold, Josi a year older, and an expected return to form by Rinne, they're no less of a playoff contender than Jersey.
While the Preds and Devils do appear comparable on paper in terms of roster strengths/weaknesses, it's not like Nashville has anywhere the kind of playoff track record NJ does to suggest a Cup run in the near future.

If he does sign with Nashville, I'll be curious to hear his reasons. The NJ situation seems more logical in the context of Briere wanting a short-term and planning to likely live in south Jersey after retiring.

Sabretip is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:11 PM
  #113
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While the Preds and Devils do appear comparable on paper in terms of roster strengths/weaknesses, it's not like Nashville has anywhere the kind of playoff track record NJ does to suggest a Cup run in the near future.
The Devils have missed the playoffs the last two times they've had to play a season without Parise. There's a reason for that. Add in the likely loss of Clarkson, and that roster is going in the wrong direction. Nashville will be better than the Devils next season, barring major injury, with or without Danny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If he does sign with Nashville, I'll be curious to hear his reasons. The NJ situation seems more logical in the context of Briere wanting a short-term and planning to likely live in south Jersey after retiring.
Nashville can give him a short-term deal, as well, and nothing about playing a year or two in Nashville will keep him from retiring in south Jersey.

Of his "final three," I think the Devils are the worst choice.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
  #114
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
The only problem I have with signing Briere is he's not a typical 3rd line center. If we move Vanek, then I understand the need for scoring, but if Briere is counted on to take the tough defensive minutes that Grigs and Hodgson can't handle...

Hell...he might not even be used as a center which I would argue is this teams biggest need; a defensive minded top-9 center. (And a veteran D-man)


If he's one of a few moves made this offseason I'm fine with it, but if he's the only veteran added up front I'd be disappointed.

Dubi Doo is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
  #115
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The Devils have missed the playoffs the last two times they've had to play a season without Parise. There's a reason for that. Add in the likely loss of Clarkson, and that roster is going in the wrong direction. Nashville will be better than the Devils next season, barring major injury, with or without Danny.



Nashville can give him a short-term deal, as well, and nothing about playing a year or two in Nashville will keep him from retiring in south Jersey.

Of his "final three," I think the Devils are the worst choice.
For who? Danny? or the Devils?

joshjull is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  #116
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,672
vCash: 500
As the rosters stand at the current moment, with Vanek and Miller the Sabres are better then either the Preds (no scoring) and Devils (no talent outside Kovy,Elias, Larsson.Zajac is no better then Stafford)

It'll be sad if Briere truly picks Nashville over Buffalo.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:49 PM
  #117
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
As the rosters stand at the current moment, with Vanek and Miller the Sabres are better then either the Preds (no scoring) and Devils (no talent outside Kovy,Elias, Larsson.Zajac is no better then Stafford)

It'll be sad if Briere truly picks Nashville over Buffalo.
Nashville has better goaltending and defense so a much better chance at winning, as its not like Buffalo is an offensive juggernaut. Briere even at his age and reduced talent level is on a par with Buffalo's best offensive players.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:49 PM
  #118
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Maybe Danny thought last year was an aberration for Nashville. With Seth Jones now in the fold, Josi a year older, and an expected return to form by Rinne, they're no less of a playoff contender than Jersey.
Last year Nashville had a ton of injuries to key players. At one point about 6-8 players were call ups.

The teams core are 24-27 range...players in their prime.

Remember last year they were in on the playoff hunt sitting around 7-10 then the injuries hit and then they go on that losing streak.

They will be a playoff team next year.

Djp is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
  #119
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Nashville has better goaltending and defense so a much better chance at winning, as its not like Buffalo is an offensive juggernaut. Briere even at his age and reduced talent level is on a par with Buffalo's best offensive players.
I would take Vanek easily over Briere and Ennis and Hodgson too.The preds have made it how many times out of the first round in 15 years, once ?

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 01:19 PM
  #120
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I would take Vanek easily over Briere and Ennis and Hodgson too.The preds have made it how many times out of the first round in 15 years, once ?
And the Sabres have missed the playoffs more times than Nashville in the last 15 years. Of course you would as you think Vanek is "ELITE" instead of a 25-35 goal scorer like he's shown the last few seasons and you're hoping Ennis and Hodgson continue to improve.

I just think (notice I said I think) that a healthy Briere will out-produce Ennis and Hodgson and put up more points than Vanek as last year for him was a fluke, as the condensed schedule didn't show his usual 5 - 10 game disappearing acts.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  #121
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons
 
Sean McG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Sounds like the Devils are the favorites.That sucks.I would have thought Pegula would pressure Darcy into making a big play and I could definitely see Terry doing the Robyn Regehr treatment to him.I mean wasn't one of the reasons we traded and then signed Ehrhoff because Pegula's daughter liked him in the playoffs?

Pegula pretty much said the door is open to any former Sabre to be involved, so how about a former Sabre still playing
I'm pretty sure there was someone who reported on twitter that Terry liked what he saw from Ehrhoff, and his daughter was just the one to confirm that.



Pierre LeBrun says the final 3 teams he's deciding on are New Jersey, Nashville and Montreal... but he also tweeted these were the finalists for Lecavalier a couple hours before he signed in Philly, so...

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2 Jul
I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No... but guessing...


Last edited by Sean McG: 07-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Sean McG is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 03:26 PM
  #122
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,517
vCash: 500
It's us, Montreal and NJ. Trust me

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 03:39 PM
  #123
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
And the Sabres have missed the playoffs more times than Nashville in the last 15 years. Of course you would as you think Vanek is "ELITE" instead of a 25-35 goal scorer like he's shown the last few seasons and you're hoping Ennis and Hodgson continue to improve.

I just think (notice I said I think) that a healthy Briere will out-produce Ennis and Hodgson and put up more points than Vanek as last year for him was a fluke, as the condensed schedule didn't show his usual 5 - 10 game disappearing acts.
Yeah ok. Your a known Vanek hater. First off Vanek averages 35 goals a season. Last year wasnt a fluke it was called Vanek actually got legit 1st line ice time and was dominant. Briere was dominant 2 years which were in Buffalo on a stacked team.

Yeah Vanek was a fluke last year and Briere will outproduced him?? the same Briere who had 4 less points then Vanek had goals? Hodgson doubled Brieres output last year but somehow Briere will outscore them

Since Briere left for Philly..

Briere - 364 games, 124 goals, 159 assists, 283 points .78 ppg

Vanek - 422 games, 182 goals, 174 assists, 356 points, .84 ppg

So yeah take your obvious Vanek vendetta away. Briere is inferior to Vanek in every way. Vanek is elite goal scorer Briere is small often injured 2nd liner. Since Briere left Vanek has more games, goals, assists, points and a better ppg and all of that in similar ice time. Vanek also has more career gpg then Briere despite being 7 years younger.


Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 07-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 03:46 PM
  #124
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
It'll be sad if Briere truly picks Nashville over Buffalo.
Nashville is a great place.

Karate Johnson is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 03:47 PM
  #125
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Yeah ok. Your a known Vanek hater. First off Vanek averages 35 goals a season. Last year wasnt a fluke it was called Vanek actually got legit 1st line ice time and was dominant. Briere was dominant 2 years which were in Buffalo on a stacked team.

Yeah Vanek was a fluke last year and Briere will outproduced him?? the same Briere who had 4 less points then Vanek had goals? Hodgson doubled Brieres output last year but somehow Briere will outscore them

Since Briere left for Philly..

Briere - 364 games, 124 goals, 159 assists, 283 points .78 ppg

Vanek - 422 games, 182 goals, 174 assists, 356 points, .84 ppg

So yeah take your obvious Vanek vendetta away. Briere is inferior to Vanek in every way. Vanek is elite goal scorer Briere is small often injured 2nd liner. Since Briere left Vanek has more games, goals, assists, points and a better ppg and all of that in similar ice time.
I don't hate Vanek, I just think you're crazy to call him an elite 35 goal scorer as he's only hit that 3 times in his entire career (43,40 and 36). The rest of his 7 years in the league he's in the upper 20s / low 30s. Excluding last year's shortened season he's scored 230 goals in 7 years or slightly more than 34 on average.

I see 3 seasons above 35, I see 3 seasons below 28 and 1 32 goal season tossed in for flavor, so lets just say you can figure on about 30 goals from him.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.