HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 09:40 PM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
This is allot easier said then done
Every team is in the same boat
a lot of teams are in the same boat... a lot of teams have also made the playoffs recently... far more recently than us

i agree with those that are scared. if we do spend close to the cap, and dont make the playoffs. there are some serious questions to be answered.

yes we have a few exciting prospects coming up... but so does every team. remember our prospect pool is still relatively thin compared to a lot of teams... esp with high end prospects that may be close to nhl ready/make an nhl impact

its not the end of the world if we dont make the playoffs this year, im not saying chevy is an idiot or that this team is terrible. but i think being concerned at this point is justified.

i also think we overvalue too many players because they are our beloved jets... but in reality there are a lot of replaceable pieces on this team.. and guys that either need to up their game a lot or be upgraded before we are a contender

Old
07-03-2013, 10:14 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Are Schiefele, Trouba, Frolik and O'Dell good enough to push us into contention for the top 8 this season?

Is Kulda staying in North America?

Kind of scary to me that our roster as currently constituted is that close to the cap, because it is likely not good enough to make the playoffs. Guess we have room to add one second-tier forward or defenceman, then we'll be right at the cap.
OK, here's my attempt at being coach, with the lineup Chevy gives me. Assume worst-case that Jokinen's high-ankle injury prevents us doing a compliance buyout, but that he comes back in time for the season, to burn up $4.5 million cap space...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

LEFTCENTRERIGHT
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m)Bryan Little ($3.750m)Blake Wheeler ($4.750m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m)Mark Scheifele ($1.563m)Alexander Burmistrov ($2.000m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.900m)Eric O'Dell ($0.900m)Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Adam Lowry ($0.925m)James Wright ($0.650m)Anthony Peluso ($0.750m)
 Jim Slater ($1.600m)  
 Olli Jokinen ($4.500m)  

LEFTRIGHT
Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m)Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.067m)Jacob Trouba ($1.828m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m)Zach Bogosian ($5.500m)
Zach Redmond ($0.900m) 

Goalies
Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,716,833; BONUSES: $1,407,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,990,667

I plan to have Meech, Postma, and Thorburn in St. John's. If we get really desparate for a roster spot and/or $900K of capspace, send Jokinen down to St John's. I'd also be asking Chevy to move one or more of Slater/Stuart/Wright for draft choices or prospects.

Last edited by knorthern knight: 07-04-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Update to reflect Montoya signing
Old
07-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Waldo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
As much as they say that missing the playoffs is unacceptable, it seems the way the team has been built - with very low risk moves, no big UFA signings, no huge trades at the deadline or any involving core players, etc - is that they are planning on building their own team and keeping around a few key guys they like. Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Kane. These guys should all be useful 3-4 years from now when TNSE's own brand of the team is a stronger part of its identity. If they miss the playoffs along the way of this team coming together...I think mayyybe they'd let go Noel if expectations of being in the hunt aren't met. But I woudn't count on Chevy getting turfed unless we miss the playoffs 6-7 years in a row as long as we are drafting well. This could take a while. lol
To me it seems like the Jets are reaching a threshold where any additions or maturation of players will make a bigger difference. The trades for Tangradi and the waiver pickups of Wright, Santorelli and Peluso have really helped this team more than they are given credit. What they provided was the ability to roll 4 lines.
At one point during the later parts of the season, I thought Noel really overplayed our big 4 almost to the point of exhaustion, during which time they went on the losing streak that cost us the division lead and our playoffs. Shortly thereafter, there was a break where they players were able to recover and went on to play excellent hockey down the stretch.

Now, we will be retaining these players (minus Santorelli it seems) We also will end up becoming a much faster team without Welly and Antro. We've also added Frolik who is a considerable upgrade and will be a very useful player. Now that our prospects passed the point wherre they are now waiver eligible, it's swim or sink time. I'm hopeful that O'Dell finds his way onto the team and maybe Cormier takes a 4th line spot over Thorburn. If Sheifele shows anything, he will stay in the Bigs with Trouba. And who knows if there will be a surprise showing by some other prospect.

There's also a possibility that Chevy picks up another body somewhere and a second line that can score would really boost this team into the playoffs. The only thing that may hinder us is Joki. I don't see where he fits. I don't think he can come back and add anything. For one thing, his ankle injury will prevent him from training properly for part of the summer and at 36 I think he's done. Noel may be obsessive compulsive enough to force him onto the 2nd line and drag it down. However, it's time to use the Caps and if the players get sent down and claimed off waivers, then so be it because it is unlikely that they will develop further.

If the Jets play hard and we see some improvement but don't make the playoffs then maybe it's a coaching change and a higher draft pick in 2014. I hopeful that they will be better and I can't wait till prospects camp.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:23 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
I plan to have Meech, Postma, and Thorburn in St. John's. If we get really desparate for a roster spot and/or $900K of capspace, send Jokinen down to St John's. I'd also be asking Chevy to move one or more of Slater/Stuart/Wright for draft choices or prospects.
Postma would be claimed on waivers, what do you plan to do with Cormier and Kulda? Both are subject to waivers as well. The likely scenario is we trade some RFA rights away for a good vet that can fill one of our needs. Postma is most likely.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Postma would be claimed on waivers, what do you plan to do with Cormier and Kulda? Both are subject to waivers as well. The likely scenario is we trade some RFA rights away for a good vet that can fill one of our needs. Postma is most likely.
I believe you can send a player down to the minors up to a certain point in training camp before anyone has to be subject to waivers. So you could send those guys down, but you would basically be leaving them there all year because you couldn't bring them up.

Unless I am totally misremembering that. Someone else may need to confirm / deny.

But I agree. It would look like even if they don't bring in anymore D, that the plan is to have a competition in TC and see what shakes out. At that point, maybe they move a D to another team for a comparable forward, or a draft pick. That's if Kulda is even in the mix anymore. If Kulda is out, I guess they could always keep them all and have two in the pressbox.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I believe you can send a player down to the minors up to a certain point in training camp before anyone has to be subject to waivers. So you could send those guys down, but you would basically be leaving them there all year because you couldn't bring them up.

Unless I am totally misremembering that. Someone else may need to confirm / deny.

But I agree. It would look like even if they don't bring in anymore D, that the plan is to have a competition in TC and see what shakes out. At that point, maybe they move a D to another team for a comparable forward, or a draft pick. That's if Kulda is even in the mix anymore. If Kulda is out, I guess they could always keep them all and have two in the pressbox.
I think that's only in EA's NHL games.

@Knorthern Knight: Way too many NHL rookies getting significant time on the team in that lineup. As poor as Jokinen looked at times last year he's not the sixth centerman on the team...I definitely expect him and Scheifele to be getting rotated at the #2 and #3 spots next year.

The lineup as a whole just screams "what have you done for me lately", not really accounting for actual hockey skill and player development. Nor the fact that Postma would assuredly get claimed on waivers.

Last edited by Sweech: 07-03-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 10:59 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I still have Postma ahead of Redmond (although the PK will help Redmond).

I don't think either guy will be sent down. It is more likely that one will be traded. I wouldn't have an issue with them keeping both up and putting Trouba on the Rock either.

Cormier doesn't concern me. He is a 4th line centre at best and we hace slater locked up. Finding a new one in two years wouldn't be that difficult. I think he may even clear waivers if they try it.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I keep getting the scary feeling that they'll try and test O'Dell through waivers. Not because Thorburn, Wright, Tangradi, etc. are better players, but because they feel he needs more development time - after losing so much to injury. It will be interesting to see what truly happens, I think if O'Dell has a good training camp it might alleviate those concerns.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I think we're pretty close to a playoff team already, and I like the way this team is moving. It seems we're building our team through low risk high reward asset movement (eg FA, Waivers, Draft, trades) and I like that. I have confidence we can build our team into a playoff contender. We're adressing our needs pretty well, the only criticism I really have is that we aren't cutting dead weight fast enough (like Jokinen) but that's more a nitpick then anything else.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
This is allot easier said then done
Every team is in the same boat
yah I'd say with a 10 mil cap drop, essentially any team that was over the floor last season is close to hitting the cap.

it's not unusual.

all will be well

it's after this season that i'll start to worry

edit: i also really don't quite get the "cutting the dead weight" or Jokinen hate here. Yes he was bad. But he was way worse then he's ever been before. meaning it's highly unlikely he's that bad again. See "Brad Richards in NYR". or Any player in a career worst year. it happens. making hastey decisions like that would be are what would be building a culture of instability and setting this franchise back. if he still sucks halfway through this season i'll admit maybe we should drop him, but i think that's highly unlikely.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:52 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I think that's only in EA's NHL games.

@Knorthern Knight: Way too many NHL rookies getting significant time on the team in that lineup. As poor as Jokinen looked at times last year he's not the sixth centerman on the team...I definitely expect him and Scheifele to be getting rotated at the #2 and #3 spots next year.

The lineup as a whole just screams "what have you done for me lately", not really accounting for actual hockey skill and player development. Nor the fact that Postma would assuredly get claimed on waivers.
In Jokinen's case, "lately" was all season long.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
In Jokinen's case, "lately" was all season long.
If I can't encourage you to look at things objectively than we have no argument.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Boreal

Just curious, what does everyone here think Mason Raymond will command on the open market. He is a player I would not be upset to have in a Winnipeg uniform? Providing our doctors gave the thumbs up.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:20 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Just curious, what does everyone here think Mason Raymond will command on the open market. He is a player I would not be upset to have in a Winnipeg uniform? Providing our doctors gave the thumbs up.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1460655

Did you see this?

Old
07-04-2013, 01:50 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Anyone else think P-M Bouchard would be a good gamble to play on the 2nd like with Kane? He's got speed, creativity and great hands. Seems like he'd have instant chemistry with Kane if he still plays center. The Wild site has him as a LW, but he was a center.

Only concern is the injury history. I'd still do it. Likely not to find anyone as skilled in free agency and trading for someone with his skill set won't be cheap either.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Sweech
COYS!

I wonder what Vancouver could bribe us with to take David Booth of their hands. When healthy I think he could compliment Kane perfectly and I think Vancouver would love to get his salary of off their cap roll.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:05 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
I wonder what Vancouver could bribe us with to take David Booth of their hands. When healthy I think he could compliment Kane perfectly and I think Vancouver would love to get his salary of off their cap roll.
The "when healthy" thing worries me - he's on a bit of a downward trend. Not sure if this is just injury related, usage, or general play, but 4.25 for 2 more years is fairly substantial. I'm not sure I'd take a flyer on him - these things tend to not turn out that well.

Jets send a pick their way, they send a higher pick and Booth back? What are your thoughts?

Old
07-04-2013, 06:17 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Completely and utterly untrue.

Not sure what you mean by the 2nd comment though, since also re-entry waivers (waivers going from AHL to NHL) are completely gone as well.

So none of that would work.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:35 AM
poltRgYst

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Are Schiefele, Trouba, Frolik and O'Dell good enough to push us into contention for the top 8 this season?

Is Kulda staying in North America?

Kind of scary to me that our roster as currently constituted is that close to the cap, because it is likely not good enough to make the playoffs. Guess we have room to add one second-tier forward or defenceman, then we'll be right at the cap.
Completely agree. Its not...we need that one more top six forward.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:52 AM
PaperRockChamp

It seems like some/many are giving Scheif a roster spot this year. My opinion is probably unpopular but I see him in the AHL this year with Lowry, O'Dell, Trouba, and Redmond.

Also, when has Derek Roy played right wing? Was it for more than one game?

Old
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
TrentSteele

As it stands now without any trades or FA signings, and assuming Burmi stays in Wpg, it will be very difficult for Lowry and O'Dell to crack the lineup.

Ladd/Little/Wheeler
Kane/Jokinen(Scheifele)/Frolik
Tangradi/Scheifele(Jokinen)/Burmistrov
Wright/Slater/Thorburn
Puluso

Enstrom/Bogo
Clitsome/Buff (I think this is how they will end up being paired)
Stuart/One of Trouba, Redmond, Postma (extras will be healthy scratched)

Pavelec
Montoya or other

Odd men out
Kulda (no room for him)
Lowry (sent back to St.John's)
O'Dell (May beat out Puluso for extra Fwd spot)

Old
07-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
The "when healthy" thing worries me - he's on a bit of a downward trend. Not sure if this is just injury related, usage, or general play, but 4.25 for 2 more years is fairly substantial. I'm not sure I'd take a flyer on him - these things tend to not turn out that well.

Jets send a pick their way, they send a higher pick and Booth back? What are your thoughts?
Exactly. Likely a high pick or a decent prospect to take him off their hands and I agree it's most definitely a risk considering injury history, but it's something to look at that could give us assets and really turn out in our favour.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Would rather see if we could pry Burrows off their hands.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Completely and utterly untrue.

Not sure what you mean by the 2nd comment though, since also re-entry waivers (waivers going from AHL to NHL) are completely gone as well.

So none of that would work.
Cool.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Would rather see if we could pry Burrows off their hands.
Then we'd be paying @ value. The whole point to Booth is not only do you not, you accept a bribe to take him.

Closed Thread