Old
05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
FHL to hold junior/college draft 6/20/13

From emailed press release:
Quote:
The Federal Hockey League is proud to announce that on Thursday, June 20th at 7:30 PM the league will be holding its Inaugural College / Junior Hockey Draft. Each member club will be holding their own draft day event in their city with team's reporting picks via phone call to the league office.

Fans can also follow the team's draft picks on their official facebook page.

The draft is slated for 4 rounds.

Players eligible for the draft include all collegiate and junior players who have completed their eligibility.

Teams drafting a player will retain that player's signing rights regardless of whether that player signs with the member team.

It is believed that the Federal Hockey League is the first minor league professional hockey league to conduct a rookie draft for players.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

1000 Islands Privateers select from Halifax of the QMJHL Nathan MacKinnon...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
CrazyEddie20

This is absolutely hilarious.

They claim to pay out $2M in salaries every year to players and coaches, yet players and coaches are still owed piles of money.

Now, they want to have a draft - which will undoubtedly mean teams rifling through the bargain bin of bottom-tier junior and college hockey to secure "rights" to players stupid/desperate enough to show up. What a joke.

Class-A hockey needs to just go away, both the Sorta Pro Hockey League and the FHL.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

The draft has already been re-scheduled from May 31 to June 20. Does that mean more teams to be announced soon? Or less teams?

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Kanka

The original Federal Hockey League in Canada circa 2004 held a draft. However the league never played a game.

This is just another feeble marketing ploy from the FHL. It is quite pointless to have a draft if these teams plan on being affiliated with AA teams. If a player is with a AA team and gets sent down to the FHL farm team, he can't report because he was drafted by a another FHL team.

Kanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:22 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The league hardly ever follows their own rules, why start now?

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:18 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

FHL Completes Inaugural Draft

The FHL completed its inaugural entry-draft on Thursday with all four the member teams participating. Here are the results..

1st Round
1. Anthony Chigisola, Franklin Pearce (D3) - Danville Dashers
2. Colin de Jersey, SUNY Geneseo (D3) - 1000 Islands Privateers
3. Brett Wall, Lake Superior State (D1) - Dayton Demonz
4. John Vazzano, University of Vermont (D1) - Danbury Whalers

2nd Round
1. Daniel Dworak, Youngstown State (ACHA D1) - Danville Dashers
2. Lucas Romero, Westfield State (D3) - 1000 Isands Privateers
3. Len Pelletier, Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL) - Dayton Demonz
4. Tim Richter, UMass-Boston (D3) - Danbury Whalers

3rd Round
1. Greg Benz, Indiana University (ACHA D1) - Danville Dashers
2. Connor Moore, University of Delaware (ACHA D1) - 1000 Islands Privateers
3. Jared Hicks, Yarmouth Mariners (MHL) - Dayton Demonz
4. Ben Schoeneberger, Castleton State (D3) - Danbury Whalers

4th Round
1. Mitch Kriz, Marian University (D3) - Danville Dashers
2. Michael Rivers, El Paso Rhinos (WSHL) - 1000 Islands Privateers
3. Roger Tagoona, OCN Blizzard (MJHL) - Dayton Demonz
4. Kyle Verbeek, Sacred Heart (D1) - Danbury Whalers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting picks. Of all the mess the FHL has created, this was actually operated pretty professionally and respectably. Let's see if these guys sign with the clubs later this summer.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:43 PM
SenorChifles

Better yet, lets see if the league finishes the upcoming season.

SenorChifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:40 PM
IceFlyersRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post

They claim to pay out $2M in salaries every year to players and coaches, yet players and coaches are still owed piles of money.

Now, they want to have a draft - which will undoubtedly mean teams rifling through the bargain bin of bottom-tier junior and college hockey to secure "rights" to players stupid/desperate enough to show up. What a joke.

Class-A hockey needs to just go away, both the Sorta Pro Hockey League and the FHL.
Please enlighten me how the ''sorta pro hockey league'' is bad hockey? im all ears. have you ever even been to an SPHL game?

IceFlyersRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:09 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFlyersRule View Post
Please enlighten me how the ''sorta pro hockey league'' is bad hockey? im all ears. have you ever even been to an SPHL game?
I can't say that I have, but I can tell you this: The SPHL isn't the punchline to a bad joke the way the FHL is.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:09 AM
IceFlyersRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
I can't say that I have, but I can tell you this: The SPHL isn't the punchline to a bad joke the way the FHL is.
I agree with that. And the SPHL is beginning to grow with players and coaches and even refs moving on to other leagues. What has the FHL done since then? The exact opposite

Old
06-24-2013, 09:31 AM
jabberoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanka View Post
This is just another feeble marketing ploy from the FHL. It is quite pointless to have a draft if these teams plan on being affiliated with AA teams. If a player is with a AA team and gets sent down to the FHL farm team, he can't report because he was drafted by a another FHL team.
Speaking of marketing ploys, that is exacltly what the FHL is doing with "affiliations." ECHL contracted players cannot be directly sent down to a lower league. Their contracts are only valid in the ECHL. Now, the player can be released and "encouraged" to sign with an FHL team, but the contract cannot be assigned to a team in another league.

jabberoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:41 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
I've been to plenty of SPHL games.

First of all, there's a severe talent gap in the league. Of the ten forwards dressed for a team in a given game, only the top line has any real skill. The next seven are severely flawed players - either they are bad skaters, bad passers, have bad hands, are one-dimensional, are physically weak or too small, or don't backcheck. The same goes for defenseman - a top defenseman in the SPHL is miles away from the guy taking the next shift on the blueline. The goaltending can be decent, but really, there aren't many goalies in the SPHL that are going to be anything more than an emergency back-up at a higher level. Basically, the SPHL is a league for the underdeveloped, the problem children (Mike Brown anyone?), and the hangers-on.

On the business side, the league is controlled by two owners who have basically rigged the league over the past five seasons. Several of the teams are incompetently run and propped up by other owners to keep the league alive.

It's bad on the ice and it's bad on the balance sheet.

Old
06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
IceFlyersRule

Quote:

First of all, there's a severe talent gap in the league. Of the ten forwards dressed for a team in a given game, only the top line has any real skill. The next seven are severely flawed players - either they are bad skaters, bad passers, have bad hands, are one-dimensional, are physically weak or too small, or don't backcheck. The same goes for defenseman - a top defenseman in the SPHL is miles away from the guy taking the next shift on the blueline. The goaltending can be decent, but really, there aren't many goalies in the SPHL that are going to be anything more than an emergency back-up at a higher level. Basically, the SPHL is a league for the underdeveloped, the problem children (Mike Brown anyone?), and the hangers-on.

On the business side, the league is controlled by two owners who have basically rigged the league over the past five seasons. Several of the teams are incompetently run and propped up by other owners to keep the league alive.

well you can believe what you want too but i know thats not true.

Last edited by Bob Richards: 06-25-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old
06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
The FHL completed its inaugural entry-draft on Thursday with all four the member teams participating. Here are the results..

1st Round
1. Anthony Chigisola, Franklin Pearce (D3) - Danville Dashers
2. Colin de Jersey, SUNY Geneseo (D3) - 1000 Islands Privateers
3. Brett Wall, Lake Superior State (D1) - Dayton Demonz
4. John Vazzano, University of Vermont (D1) - Danbury Whalers

2nd Round
1. Daniel Dworak, Youngstown State (ACHA D1) - Danville Dashers
2. Lucas Romero, Westfield State (D3) - 1000 Isands Privateers
3. Len Pelletier, Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL) - Dayton Demonz
4. Tim Richter, UMass-Boston (D3) - Danbury Whalers

3rd Round
1. Greg Benz, Indiana University (ACHA D1) - Danville Dashers
2. Connor Moore, University of Delaware (ACHA D1) - 1000 Islands Privateers
3. Jared Hicks, Yarmouth Mariners (MHL) - Dayton Demonz
4. Ben Schoeneberger, Castleton State (D3) - Danbury Whalers

4th Round
1. Mitch Kriz, Marian University (D3) - Danville Dashers
2. Michael Rivers, El Paso Rhinos (WSHL) - 1000 Islands Privateers
3. Roger Tagoona, OCN Blizzard (MJHL) - Dayton Demonz
4. Kyle Verbeek, Sacred Heart (D1) - Danbury Whalers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting picks. Of all the mess the FHL has created, this was actually operated pretty professionally and respectably. Let's see if these guys sign with the clubs later this summer.
Hilarious - we have people claiming that the level of play in Class-A hockey is better than the ECHL, yet this is who gets selected in a "draft?" Wow.

Old
06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Cyclones Rock

I think that this "draft" is a PR exercise designed to convince prospective sponsors and season ticket holders that the league is on much more stable ground than it actually is.

Was the 16 player "draft" done by teleconference or e-mail? Or were the players drawn by lots and assigned to the teams?

The notion of a league which pays many of its players under $200 per week having a "draft" is farcical.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Congrats to all those players drafted!

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I think that this "draft" is a PR exercise designed to convince prospective sponsors and season ticket holders that the league is on much more stable ground than it actually is.

Was the 16 player "draft" done by teleconference or e-mail? Or were the players drawn by lots and assigned to the teams?

The notion of a league which pays many of its players under $200 per week having a "draft" is farcical.
I believe all the teams had draft parties either at the arena or local restaurant. It was done by telephone as the coach would call in his pick at the draft party.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
I believe all the teams had draft parties either at the arena or local restaurant. It was done by telephone as the coach would call in his pick at the draft party.
Really? In all seriousness??? The top pick was from Division 3 for crying out loud! Who would celebrate that? The player himself probably doesn't even care since he has the potential for a higher income drawing unemployment...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
Really? In all seriousness??? The top pick was from Division 3 for crying out loud! Who would celebrate that? The player himself probably doesn't even care since he has the potential for a higher income drawing unemployment...
The top pick was at the draft party. I'm not defending the league but it's broke kids coming out of college with bills who would like to still player hockey other than mens league.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:37 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Quote:

Explain why the SPHL should "go away."

It's a good growing league that is about to overtake the CHL while it dwindles to nothing. I don't care if you like it or not but you have no right to tell our league to go away, There is no reason for it to go away. It's a good thriving league people enjoy. players get paid, fans get what they want. Nobody is getting screwed here.

CShuckWangGoAway* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:39 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Quote:
Amen, brother. Go Ice Flyers.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:48 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Quote:

First of all, there's a severe talent gap in the league. Of the ten forwards dressed for a team in a given game, only the top line has any real skill. The next seven are severely flawed players - either they are bad skaters, bad passers, have bad hands, are one-dimensional, are physically weak or too small, or don't backcheck. The same goes for defenseman - a top defenseman in the SPHL is miles away from the guy taking the next shift on the blueline. The goaltending can be decent, but really, Basically, the SPHL is a league for the underdeveloped, the problem children (Mike Brown anyone?), and the hangers-on.

On the business side, the league is controlled

Several of the teams are incompetently run and propped up by other owners to keep the league alive.

2 owners have rigged it so 5 different teams have won the cups the last 5 seasons?

Oh, and Riley Gill went up to the ECHL from the SPHL and won the playoff MVP. So much for your "won't be more than an emergency backup" take. I also love how you hate the league but have seen "plenty of games." Why would you watch something so much that you hate?

Last edited by CShuckWangGoAway*: 07-01-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old
07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShuckWangGoAway View Post
2 owners have rigged it so 5 different teams have won the cups the last 5 seasons?

Oh, and Riley Gill went up to the ECHL from the SPHL and won the playoff MVP. So much for your "won't be more than an emergency backup" take. I also love how you hate the league but have seen "plenty of games." Why would you watch something so much that you hate?
So a guy who had two full, successful seasons of ECHL/AHL experience that goes back to the ECHL as soon as a job opens up is what you point to as "development?"

Riley Gill never should have appeared in a single game in the SPHL - he's far too good for that league.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Quote:
So a guy who had two full, successful seasons of ECHL/AHL experience that goes back to the ECHL as soon as a job opens up is what you point to as "development?"

Riley Gill never should have appeared in a single game in the SPHL - he's far too good for that league.
"He shouldn't have been in that league." He chose to start there. He likes the league. he also still proves your emergency backup take wrong, whether he was supposed to be in the Southie or not.

What about Ross MacKinnon, Shane Maldora, Brian Hince and Steve Christie? All these guys have been called up the last couple of seasons, and none of them were emergency backups. And these guys are just the ones i named off the top of my head. I could find more if i went looking.

It's obvious you know nothing about this league and tried to sound like you did. That's all fine, but please don't tell our league to go away. it's the only hockey anywhere near me and i enjoy it.

Last edited by slocal: 07-01-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: respond to the post, not the poster.