HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CLB - TOR, James Wisniewski

Old
06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
MuchoMacho

vCash: 500
CLB - TOR, James Wisniewski

First of all I am not going to pretend I watch a lot of Blue Jacket hockey, so if this is way off I apologize. I have never seen a proposal like this on the boards, so if anything I thought it'd be a fresh topic.

According to this article, Wisniewski could be a potential buyout for CBJ:

Quote:
6) James Wisniewski, Columbus Blue Jackets: In the past, the only thing that might save Wisniewski’s job is the Columbus Blue Jackets’ need to hit the cap floor. However, there is relatively new management in Ohio. John Davidson proved that he can put together a financially stable business model, while guiding his team to improve the on-ice product. He and GM Jarmo Kekalainen have already made improvements, trading for Marian Gaborik at the deadline. This leaves Jimmy boy in the dust, considering he has not lived up to his massive contract.
Toronto could really use a right handed defensemen to play top pairing minutes with Phaneuf. Wisniewski is signed for another 4 years at 5.5 million cap hit, he's 29 years old and he's a right handed defensemen who has averaged 21+ minutes per night.

Could there be a fit here? I know Columbus isn't cash strapped and could afford the buy out if it was vital to the team's success, but I imagine getting something is better then nothing (while also saving the money)?

Maybe Wisniewski can turn it around on the Leafs? Worst case ontario, the Leafs could buy him out next off season.

Disclaimers:
- I don't watch CBJ hockey, if this writer is way off and he's your team's golden savor I'm not trying to get gold for garbage here. I am working on the assumption that if he's a speculated buy out candidate he's not a part of the team's core.
- I am basing my interest in him off of age, salary, ability to buy him out next year if it doesn't work out, right handed and ability to log minutes.
- I realize if he is bought out then the Leafs could just sign him as a free agent, but I assume if he was a free agent there would be a other suitors.
- I realize he has a NTC, it'd be subject to his willingness to wave.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Geese_Howard*

Decent player but not at that price. We're fine on defense. When Phanuef and Gunnar were put together they were solid and we have tonnes of prospects coming up.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

did i miss a proposal in there? I'd be open to trading Wiz for the right deal, some ppl say he's overpaid, and prob is by a little bit, but he was a market signing at the time...I doubt we buy him out this summer, no real reason to...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:13 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Decent player but not at that price. We're fine on defense. When Phanuef and Gunnar were put together they were solid and we have tonnes of prospects coming up.
Randy Carlyle really likes left and right handed defensemen paired, that's why we saw so much of Holzer and Kostka together and (in my opinion) Phanef playing better, because he was on his natural side. A guy with legit experience to pair with Phaneuf is not something we have in the pipe lines.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
letowskie

That would leave the RHD situation in CB desperate. Who's going to be the top pairing RHD now, Aucoin? Prout?

Seriously, Davidson still has not built enough depth and balance on the blue line. With his track record, it would be another several years before anything serious is done there. Maybe he could sign another Jay McKee or something.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:15 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
did i miss a proposal in there? I'd be open to trading Wiz for the right deal, some ppl say he's overpaid, and prob is by a little bit, but he was a market signing at the time...I doubt we buy him out this summer, no real reason to...
No, no proposal. I've seenw hat happens to Leafs fans who make proposals for teams/players they don't know well, so I made this thread a "value of" rather then a proposal, hopefully you can appreciate that

Can you think of something that would be equal value? Looking to buy low, but willing to trade decent players. Gunnarsson or Liles? Grabovski?

Old
06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Xoggz22

Not sure where the article came from but there is little to no chance Wiz gets bought out and my bet is on no chance. Between the suspension and the unlucky injuries Wiz has missed a fair amount of time in Columbus. However, he's been very good in all facets of the game since he and JJ were split up.

No need for Columbus to move him as a buyout. could he be traded? Sure but I don't think the CBJ woudl do it as a dump considering his RH shot and contribution to the offense.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
No, no proposal. I've seenw hat happens to Leafs fans who make proposals for teams/players they don't know well, so I made this thread a "value of" rather then a proposal, hopefully you can appreciate that

Can you think of something that would be equal value? Looking to buy low, but willing to trade decent players. Gunnarsson or Liles? Grabovski?
lol...i can...i'm not sure...Wiz' only issue since joining us has been a couple bouts with injuries...he's been solid on the ice and was good once the "controlled chaos" pairing was broken up. He was also typically paired with the AHL call ups a lot so his stats are a bit skewed...

Old
06-19-2013, 05:24 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
lol...i can...i'm not sure...Wiz' only issue since joining us has been a couple bouts with injuries...he's been solid on the ice and was good once the "controlled chaos" pairing was broken up. He was also typically paired with the AHL call ups a lot so his stats are a bit skewed...
Gotcha, if that's the general CBJ consensus then I guess the article I referenced - and based the entire idea around - is way off.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Not sure where the article came from but there is little to no chance Wiz gets bought out and my bet is on no chance. Between the suspension and the unlucky injuries Wiz has missed a fair amount of time in Columbus. However, he's been very good in all facets of the game since he and JJ were split up.

No need for Columbus to move him as a buyout. could he be traded? Sure but I don't think the CBJ woudl do it as a dump considering his RH shot and contribution to the offense.
what about for grbaovski? they have similar contracts cap wise and term wise. toronto gets someone to play with phaneuf, jackets get someone to play center on the second line?

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:

Thanks, makes sense. In case you missed it in the OP, this is the article:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...rn-conference/

Old
06-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Run705
The705Collection

Would love in as a pairing with Phanuef, wonder if a trade involving Grabo would work?

Worst case ontario, love that you used that phrase OP lol - TPB hasn't officially announced it yet, but they'll be a season 8 announcement in the next 2 months.

Run705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
burgess1978

J Wiz will not be bought out. If the Jackets wanted to get rid of him there would be a trade market.

I can't see them getting rid of him until at least one of Savard/Goulabef makes the team full-time.

He's not untouchable though ...go ahead and make some offers/

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
hersky77

I feel montreal would have interest, he did not want to leave the first time around but we chose markov over him, which I firmly believed was the wrong choice to make at the time.

what about something around desharnais plus.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
nazembiggs*

Wiz for Grabo if they want a center. Or wiz for JML if they still want a PMD for a cheaper price

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:24 PM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Wiz for Grabo if they want a center. Or wiz for JML if they still want a PMD for a cheaper price
This.
/thread.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

and neither are wanted by us...so yeah...

Old
06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
and neither are wanted by us...so yeah...
I figured so, what would you want? If you don't know in terms of the Leafs assets, what would you be looking for organizationally?

Old
06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Jax Teller

Not at all interested in Wiz from a Leafs perspective.

There is more than enough offense on the backend. It would make more sense to target someone who is more of a shutdown type.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:41 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run705 View Post
Would love in as a pairing with Phanuef, wonder if a trade involving Grabo would work?

Worst case ontario, love that you used that phrase OP lol - TPB hasn't officially announced it yet, but they'll be a season 8 announcement in the next 2 months.
that's awesome! I hope they never stop making shows, I could follow watching those guys right into old age.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
I figured so, what would you want? If you don't know in terms of the Leafs assets, what would you be looking for organizationally?
personally, only player i have any actual interest in is JVR...not saying there aren't good players on TOR...just from a CBJ organizational standpoint, Kessel's salary doesn't make sense, and Phaneuf is your captain...the rest are 2nd/3rd liners that we have a lot of already

Old
06-19-2013, 06:49 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Not at all interested in Wiz from a Leafs perspective.

There is more than enough offense on the backend. It would make more sense to target someone who is more of a shutdown type.
I used to think this way and by no means do I think you're completely wrong, but look at the NHL rosters from top to bottom. How many truly shut down dmen are there playing 21+ minutes a night? More often then not, if you're not producing points you're on the second or third pairing. If you go through the list of top pairing defensemen who are true shut down types, how many of them are available? How many of them are on teams that the Leafs are good trading partners with? And lastly, how many of them can the Leafs make a bid for that would be enough to get the trade done vs other teams in the league... every time I try and come up with something I turn up empty handed.

Seeing how well Phaneuf plays when he's on his natural side, I can only think he would get better if he was playing with someone else on their natural side and experienced enough where Phaneuf doesn't have to pull all the weight. If it isn't Wisnieski due to the Leafs/CBJ not being good trade partners, I'd still reckon that they should be looking at any kind of experienced, right handed defensemen aside from a purely offensive Mike Green type.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:

This. His first season he was on pace for 45 points and this past season he was a very big key to our PP.

So he has lived up to his contract when he played but he has been sidetracked with injuries and a shanaban.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Ricky Bobby

Not a chance Wiz gets bought out!

He's a good player, not even 30 and did everybody miss that Gonchar and Streit just signed contract around the same value.

The Blue Jackets have lots of cap space. Why would they pay him 2/3rd of his salary not to play for the team?

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Gardiner Expressway

vCash: 450
We're 1 for 2 on MTL reclamation projects (Grabo worked, Komi didn't)

Gardiner Expressway is offline   Reply With Quote