HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[CGY] Flames sign G Karri Ramo (2 years, $2.75M AAV)

Old
07-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
If it's more than $3 mil annually I will be one of them.
To lure him out of the KHL, they might have had to offer that much, I'm just hoping its not too much more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
assuming they will sing another Goalie to go with Ramo?
Joey MacDonald and Reto Berra are both under contract for next season.

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:20 PM
The Instigator

vCash: 500
Really, really hope he brings back the brain mask.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Maitz

vCash: 1175
Really like the fact that the 2nd round pick in that Ramo trade turned out to be Fucale.

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:30 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
Really like the fact that the 2nd round pick in that Ramo trade turned out to be Fucale.
that could turn out to be hilarious.

like when ottawa traded vermette for leclaire and a 2nd. We lost that big time....until the 2nd turned out to be Robin Lehner.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:36 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
not trying to be rude, but thats a pretty gross competition...are they bringing in a starting goalie or going to go with 2 backups?
It really is. We already know MacDonald is confirmed backup for life, and I'd be surprised if Berra is even a passable NHL goalie. It's all on Ramo (luckily I think he'll be alright as a starter).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Analyzer*

Ramo was probably promised to start a lot of the games.

I don't see Berra wanting to play in the AHL (insert Calgary fan linking an article saying he'd have no problem)

Berra and Ramo seem like guys who only want to be in NHL, or stay in Europe.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

I don't see Berra wanting to play in the AHL (insert Calgary fan linking an article saying he'd have no problem)

What ever gave you that opinion of Berra, Ramo I understand, he has stated several times he wants to start in the NHL, but Berra seems to take whatever situation is thrown at him in stride - see WHC having to split time despite being the superior of the two goalies.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
It really is. We already know MacDonald is confirmed backup for life, and I'd be surprised if Berra is even a passable NHL goalie. It's all on Ramo (luckily I think he'll be alright as a starter).
Berra has given every reason to hope he will be a starter in the NHL, his time against NHLers during the lockout in the Swiss league, his play in the WHC, nothing in his game shows inability to perform at high levels. I believe Ramo will be a good starting goalie in the NHL, but I'm really curious to see what Berra brings, he's big, athletic, quick, and sees the game extremely well, from what I gathered during my small sample size of him. I know Ramo a lot more, watching every single one of his KHL games, he is a gamer. He will be solid for the Flames. Hopefully he's spending his summer here to adjust to the rink, and angles and whatnot.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
DJB

vCash: 150
Battle of the backups!

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:46 PM
tempest2i
Fitter Happier

I expect something along the lines of ~4M AAV for 4 years.

Feaster and co think he's the best goalie outside of the NHL, so they'll probably pay him like it.

tempest2i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Good wild card that could make the Cammalleri trade look better for Calgary too. Curious to see him next year, always liked his potential.
Yeah true, and with the 2013 2nd rounder sent to Montreal in this trade, they picked Fucale...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:47 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Yeah true, and with the 2013 2nd rounder sent to Montreal in this trade, they picked Fucale...
I forgot he was a lock for the HOF

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:00 AM
DJ Breadman

I would think Ramo was promised some amount of games, he had no interest in coming to North America when the habs owned his rights because Carey Price was in net and he had no chance at being a starter

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:14 AM
blankall

Quote:

If both Ramo and Berra show they are NHL ready at camp, Joey Mac can be moved. Joey is a stop gap.

Seriously though, I would be ecstatic, but having too many NHL calibre starters is unlikely to be a major problem for us.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:

Berra signed a contract without a European out clause. So he is willing to go to the AHL. Whether you like to believe it or not.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:37 AM
janecky

Rämö had some very good games in the NHL too. He just wasn't consistent enough back then, and Tampa Bay had a leaky defense.

The Bolts (almost) fixed the goaltending position when Mike Smith was lights out in his second season in Tampa Bay, but he then got concussed, became a sieve, and his lifeless corpse was dragged behind the Tampa Bay caravan for a couple of years before the Coyotes ate him. When Smith first joined the team, Rämö actually had a better save percentage (also better than Holmqvist and Denis, of course). It was the following year when Rämö disappointed by not showing more consistency. I think he was just too young to carry the team on his back. Like I said, their team defense stunk.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Honour Over Glory

Flames should also go after Khudobin.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Rämö had some very good games in the NHL too. He just wasn't consistent enough back then, and Tampa Bay had a leaky defense.

The Bolts (almost) fixed the goaltending position when Mike Smith was lights out in his second season in Tampa Bay, but he then got concussed, became a sieve, and his lifeless corpse was dragged behind the Tampa Bay caravan for a couple of years before the Coyotes ate him. When Smith first joined the team, Rämö actually had a better save percentage (also better than Holmqvist and Denis, of course). It was the following year when Rämö disappointed by not showing more consistency. I think he was just too young to carry the team on his back. Like I said, their team defense stunk.
Their team defense still stinks and they still have goaltending issues, but Ramo being considered for a top job, that's a bit much. But if he is a late bloomer, why not give him a shot? Flames are in that kind of position to. But I wouldn't go with Joey and Berra as potential back-ups, if this was a shortened season, sure, but in 82 games...if you're hoping to get a lottery pick, well done Feaster.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
The best goaltender in the KHL is now either the first or second best goaltender on the Calgary Flames roster. #feaster
because feaster gonna feast

~VeteranNetPresence

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:09 AM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
But if he is a late bloomer, why not give him a shot? Flames are in that kind of position to. But I wouldn't go with Joey and Berra as potential back-ups, if this was a shortened season, sure, but in 82 games...if you're hoping to get a lottery pick, well done Feaster.
Antti Niemi is more of a late bloomer. Rämö left Tampa before he turned 23 and had almost 50 NHL games on his resumé. Most goalies don't become consistent starters in the NHL until 24 or later. For example, Miikka Kiprusoff had played 47 NHL regular season games when he first played for Calgary and he was 27. Rämö just turned 27. Even most of the goalies who started to play more than a half of their team's games at age 22 struggled with consistency a lot. I'm sure Rämö could have been at least a backup in the NHL throughout his years in Russia.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post

Thanks for this.

The way I see things is this.

Calgary is in the 1st full year of their rebuild, this gives them an opportunity to give some guys opportunities that other teams may not be able to. This includes taking a chance on Ramo & Berra. Who is to say one of them won't shock everyone like Niemi or Fasth in their rookie seasons. If they falter then Calgary can try to rectify the problem when its actually a problem.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:15 AM
BigMacJokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
assuming they will sing another Goalie to go with Ramo?
Nope, I think they'll go with MacDonald and Ramo in NHL, Berra and Ortio in AHL and Brossoit in ECHL

BigMacJokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacJokinen View Post
Nope, I think they'll go with MacDonald and Ramo in NHL, Berra and Ortio in AHL and Brossoit in ECHL
I was thinking MacDonald had a two way deal but guess not.

I still think they should get another G, Kkudobin is really a good idea.

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:41 AM
lillypad33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i'm not sure how calgary's decision to basically roll the dice on 3 unproven goaltenders will go, but it sure will be interesting to watch.
Philly has done it for the last 20 years and they've made a few finals atleast

lillypad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:26 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
not trying to be rude, but thats a pretty gross competition...are they bringing in a starting goalie or going to go with 2 backups?
Not winnin for Mackinnon. (and Reinhart)

Edit: Opps meant McDavid of course. Which isn't as easy to rhyme.

Last edited by madmike77: 07-04-2013 at 11:45 AM.
madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote