HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Derek Roy

Old
07-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 589
Yeah I think when he was with the Canucks he just didn't fit in that well he got a little done but I still think there is a good player in him. He had some chemistry with Higgins but Hansen didn't go too well with them. He has played a bit of wing with Kesler and it is not that easy to tell if he was good on the wing or not. Here is my favorite goal would not mind giving him another chance in Vancouver but it won't happen but you never know.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Pyrophorus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Stay Away, stay west.

I'd rather have Colborne up.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

Like others have said, he was great at times and totally invisible for many more.

Not worth anything over $4 million and he's looking for upwards of $6 million.

TheBrockBoesMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
When we acquired him, many Canuck fans were looking for ways to fit his cap hit into the line-up for this season. Generally speaking, you will not find him in any Canuck line-ups anymore. As others have said he started well, kind of fizzled, and was completely invisible in the playoffs. Granted it was a 4 game sample size, but he literally did nothing to help us. The guy did seem to develop instant chemistry with Higgins from day 1, the pair of them looked very dangerous. So in Roy's defence, good ol' AV decided to separate the two of them in the playoffs for some unknown reason.
I'm a big Roy fan but I agree completely. He's gonna get a good deal somewhere but he really does have something to prove.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
ohnoeszz

Roy played a total of 16 games for the Canucks including playoffs. I wouldn't put too much stock in the perceptions of Nucks fans.

He has offensive ability but his style requires chemistry with his teammates. He can skate himself into areas that draw the defense but he needs an outlet to his teammates or it is a turnover. Being line-juggled for less than a quarter of a full season is not a good showcase of his abilities.

I think he could help a team that needs offense and has two gritty wingers that can read the play. Nashville seem like it fits to me. St. Louis too but I don't know what they think of Berglund.

ohnoeszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I am familiar with him from Buffalo....

He isnt a #1 center. He could play as one but that isnt an ideal role. He is a good #2 if his price is reasonable.

He had a bad injury in 2010/11 where he missed much of the season. In 11/12 He wasnt 100% from the injury until later in the year.

Last year he was on a similar pace point wise as 12/13.

He had problems with linemates in Vancouver.

A team looking to add a center should have serious interest.

good landing spots for him would be: Tampa Bay, Islanders, St Louis, Washington, and Anaheim He would give some veteran experience to teams like Nashville.

ideal salary would be something like a $3.25M-$3.75M per year
Actually he didn't, he and Chris Higgins played extemely well together, but for some reason AV decided not to play them together in the playoffs, not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestral View Post
I know I'm in the minority here for Canucks fans but I quite liked Roy and I wish we had some cap space to give him a short term contract (which we absolutely do not). It's true that he disappeared in the playoffs but that's a grand total of 4 games so I don't think it's wise to put so much stock in that.

Roy looked really good when he was centering a line with Higgins in the regular season but when Kesler came back from injury, Higgins was mostly played alongside Kesler to try to get beast mode Kesler going, which makes sense and all, but Roy disappeared as a result.

From the sounds of things, Roy probably wants to be paid a little more than he's worth but if cap space isn't too much of an issue for you then he'd make a good 2nd or 3rd line center (just don't rely on him as a 1st line center). If nothing else, you can probably make like Dallas and trade him at the deadline for picks.

Higgins wasn't even moved up to play with Kesler, Roy was moved up to that line when he and Higgins should have been left alone.

I would rather give Schroeder the shot as our 3C but like you I really liked having him and wouldn't mind having him back.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Capathetic

Any updates on Roy?

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Castle1*

In Roy's short stint with the nucks he looked very ordinary other than a few shifts.

Did not look like he is worth much but someone will overpay because of his past.

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

I think someone will give him $13.5m for 3y.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:01 PM
joshjull

What made him effective in his best Sabre years was his speed and quickness. I think injuries the last few years have diminished those aspects of his game.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
He's cost himself a bit of money with his last two seasons. I think he'll get 3-4 yrs and anywhere from $3.75m-$4.5m cap. I think Nashville, New Jersey, St. Louis, Toronto, and Winnipeg could go after him. Chicago needs a 2C, but I don't think Roy is their cup of tea.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

He hasn't been the same at all since his freak injury during the 10-11 campaign. Scored 35 points in 35 games before missing the rest of the season.

With that being said, he's still very much a quality hockey player. Very talented. Can still be a 55-65 point 2C; maybe more than that as he's not old. Loved him in Buffalo, but he became stale. He was the first casualty of the movement to dismantle Buffalo's core.

I think he signs in Nashville for 5 mil a year over 5 years. Seems to make quite a bit of sense.

Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:36 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
His best days are behind him. As someone who used to be a huge Roy fan and defended him until his last day in Buffalo, the game has changed and not to his benefit. Pile on the fact that he is only getting older and I doubt there is much of a market for him. Maybe he can make a Ribeiro like comeback, but even Ribeiro can't get re-signed after a great campaign. If I were Roy, I'd be setting aside some funds to get an education.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
A few questions on Derek Roy.

What is he worth in $? He was paid $5.5m last year with a $4m cap hit.
Can he play wing?
How was his form last year ? From both Cancucks and Stars fans
What difference does it make ? Are you an NHL GM ? No ? Then what is the point of this discussion ?

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Rolo

5.5 MINIMUM

Although, I wouldn't have this guy if I was building a team.

Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainDotC View Post
What difference does it make ? Are you an NHL GM ? No ? Then what is the point of this discussion ?
Because he's curious to know more about the player in case his team wants to sign him maybe? By your logic there is no point in any of the trade/free agent discussion boards..

Kirk Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:32 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He's cost himself a bit of money with his last two seasons. I think he'll get 3-4 yrs and anywhere from $3.75m-$4.5m cap. I think Nashville, New Jersey, St. Louis, Toronto, and Winnipeg could go after him. Chicago needs a 2C, but I don't think Roy is their cup of tea.
I could see the Blues signing Roy.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:05 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
Also curious from a STL standpoint. The numbers look good for our needs at center, but can this guy be a legit 1st line center or a really good 2nd line. What is he likely to get?
No. If he could, Buffalo wouldn't have needed to rebuild after Briere and Drury left (a process that's, finally, just happening now). He can be a really good player in a lesser role, though.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:51 AM
School of WristShot

Calling him to Caps for 5mil AAV for 4 years

School of WristShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:11 AM
realroadrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler17 View Post
Calling him to Caps for 5mil AAV for 4 years
Doubt Caps would pony up more for Roy than they offered Ribeiro. I could see Caps being interested for less money, though.

realroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:19 AM
orcatown

Ever since the major quad injury in Buffalo, Roy has not been the same player. There is a reason why he keeps getting moved along. Crafty but increasingly a perimeter player. Very much a buyer beware situation here.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
sabresEH

Someone is getting a good player here today. Last year he was coming off a wrist injury that i think hindered him a bit. Hes a number 2 center on good teams. Number 1 on a ****** team.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:37 PM
James Franco

With the cap space from trading Ryan (now 11m), I can see the Ducks signing him.

James Franco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
TLinden16
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainDotC View Post
Grumpy today?

Might as well shut down all trade proposals since we aren't NHL GMs.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:46 PM
CaptainCally

Top 6 centres are quickly getting picked up. Calgary should sign him and Brunner. Both plays C. Brunner is a really good goalscorer and maybe him and Baertschi can make the goalies look like swiss cheese together.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote