HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cleary and Brunner given offers; Cleary to test UFA market

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  #2
Frk It
Thanks for Green!
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Apparently Holland has given both Brunner & Cleary offers:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...gs-free-agents
Don't you DARE ruin my 4th of July Dan Cleary.

Frk It is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:03 AM
  #3
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Don't you DARE ruin my 4th of July Dan Cleary.
Imagine that... Two summers in a row on this exact date, Red Wings fans across America are crushed...

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  #4
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Apparently Holland has given both Brunner & Cleary offers:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...gs-free-agents
hahaha and the boat keeps taking on water

maybe holland is trying to get run out of town?

stick to the draft board KH, let the real GM's deal with free agency and the trade deadline

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
  #5
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
Hopefully that Cleary offer is some low-ball, 1 million for 2 years, an uppercut between his legs.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:38 AM
  #6
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,857
vCash: 500
so the arguement from the DRW front office against signing vinny was because they thought he wasnt fast enough and would only get slower with time and yet these same goofs wish to sign and even slower dan cleary?

brillant

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:51 AM
  #7
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
so the arguement from the DRW front office against signing vinny was because they thought he wasnt fast enough and would only get slower with time and yet these same goofs wish to sign and even slower dan cleary?

brillant
Still, the problem was term. How many times it has to be said?

Do you want to commit 5 years for an aging player? It's risky.

Yes, Holland has signed washed up veterans, but for shorter deals. That's looks like a clear plan now.

Term is also becoming the (thank god) problem with Dan Cleary. Dany-boy wants 4 years, Holland is offering 2.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
  #8
TheAlmightyWiener
Where's the syrup?
 
TheAlmightyWiener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the fridge
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 934
vCash: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Apparently Holland has given both Brunner & Cleary offers:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...gs-free-agents





Dear Lord baby Jesus, not Danny Cleary. If Kenny really wants to lock up a player, why not take a risk on a younger player on the open market, someone like Tyler Bozak or Matthew Halischuk (honestly prefer Halischuk here)?

Don't bring Danny back. That's basically kicking a dead horse, except the dead horse has more left in the tank.


Last edited by TheAlmightyWiener: 07-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.
TheAlmightyWiener is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
  #9
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
I still think (and hope) that offer for Cleary is same kind offer than it was for Hudler. Lowball, to drive him out of the town.

You can always offer. We don't know the specifics.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:58 AM
  #10
Chance on Chance
Registered User
 
Chance on Chance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Still, the problem was term. How many times it has to be said?

Do you want to commit 5 years for an aging player? It's risky.

Yes, Holland has signed washed up veterans, but for shorter deals. That's looks like a clear plan now.

Term is also becoming the (thank god) problem with Dan Cleary. Dany-boy wants 4 years, Holland is offering 2.
how is this different then haveing Dsts, Zed, Franzen and Kronwall all sight until late 30's and 40

Chance on Chance is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:00 AM
  #11
TheAlmightyWiener
Where's the syrup?
 
TheAlmightyWiener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the fridge
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 934
vCash: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I still think (and hope) that offer for Cleary is same kind offer than it was for Hudler. Lowball, to drive him out of the town.

You can always offer. We don't know the specifics.
Watch it be a 4M/4Y deal. "You have to pay Realgud players what they're worth, after all."

TheAlmightyWiener is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
  #12
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub
 
YostisHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Radio said rumor was Cleary was around for 3 for 9m. I will vomit if true.

YostisHome is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
  #13
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone115 View Post
how is this different then haveing Dsts, Zed, Franzen and Kronwall all sight until late 30's and 40
Do I really have to answer?

They are our leading players. Of course, some players can be had with long contracts. But we have them already. It's risky to add them more. Our prospect invasion is pretty much planned to fit with those contracts.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  #14
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I still think (and hope) that offer for Cleary is same kind offer than it was for Hudler. Lowball, to drive him out of the town.

You can always offer. We don't know the specifics.
if somehow that ended up happening i'd seriously have to fight the urge to literally drive over to whatever GM signed him and kiss them

unfortunately he's probably gonna be back though

ricky0034 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  #15
Chance on Chance
Registered User
 
Chance on Chance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
We pretty much have a 3-4 year window for another run now. and then hope that our prospects can grow into good 1st line players. plus the cap will be around 70-75 million in 5 years

Chance on Chance is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:09 AM
  #16
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone115 View Post
We pretty much have a 3-4 year window for another run now. and then hope that our prospects can grow into good 1st line players. plus the cap will be around 70-75 million in 5 years
I don't buy at all that "window" talk.

Our current prospect core will peak at 2017-2021. Just after your mighty "window" should be closing.

I'm seeing nothing but a steady rise towards those glory years.

Yes, our veterans will get older, but at same time there will be bigger impact with the development from our great prospect core.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
  #17
Chance on Chance
Registered User
 
Chance on Chance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I don't buy at all that "window" talk.

Our current prospect core will peak at 2017-2021. Just after your mighty "window" should be closing.

I'm seeing nothing but a steady rise towards those glory years.

Yes, our veterans will get older, but at same time there will be bigger impact with the development from our great prospect core.
Until your "mighty" prospects make an impact its up in the air. If Jarnkrok can't become a #1 center in 4-5 years were in trouble

Chance on Chance is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM
  #18
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 29,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Still, the problem was term. How many times it has to be said?

Do you want to commit 5 years for an aging player? It's risky.

Yes, Holland has signed washed up veterans, but for shorter deals. That's looks like a clear plan now.

Term is also becoming the (thank god) problem with Dan Cleary. Dany-boy wants 4 years, Holland is offering 2.
I would take Lecavalier for five years over Cleary for two.

ArGarBarGar is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
  #19
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
Radio said rumor was Cleary was around for 3 for 9m. I will vomit if true.
That sounds like something Cleary would want more than I think the Wings would offer. If that is the Wings offer, Cleary's an idiot for not just taking it and running. I'd be surprised if someone went far above that on the free agent market.

__________________
RIP David
Winger98 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  #20
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
Radio said rumor was Cleary was around for 3 for 9m. I will vomit if true.
And this rumour is what? Asking price from Cleary's agent?

I'm pretty sure nobody in this world does not know yet what Holland is offering. Other than that rumoured 2 years, no clue about the salary.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
  #21
SportsballChic
Rookie User
 
SportsballChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
And this rumour is what? Asking price from Cleary's agent?

I'm pretty sure nobody in this world does not know yet what Holland is offering. Other than that rumoured 2 years, no clue about the salary.
To be fair, it's been rumored for a while that Cleary wouldn't take a pay cut...

He's making $3 million now, don't really know why you expected a discount. Especially in this market.

SportsballChic is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:33 AM
  #22
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
To be fair, it's been rumored for a while that Cleary wouldn't take a pay cut...

He's making $3 million now, don't really know why you expected a discount. Especially in this market.
So the player is not taking a pay cut, but Holland is offering probably less, like a reasonable GM should do for a declining veteran?

And the player is wanting a long-term deal, but Holland is offering short-term, like a reasonable GM should do for a declining veteran?

Sounds... reasonable.

Quote:
Cleary told Holland he wants to see what the level of interest is around the league before committing.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2Y5ZyGGc3

Hopefully he is hoarding money, from elsewhere.

Henkka is online now  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
  #23
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 9,623
vCash: 500
The reasonable thing to do is to not offer Cleary a contract at all.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
  #24
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Still, the problem was term. How many times it has to be said?

Do you want to commit 5 years for an aging player? It's risky.

Yes, Holland has signed washed up veterans, but for shorter deals. That's looks like a clear plan now.

Term is also becoming the (thank god) problem with Dan Cleary. Dany-boy wants 4 years, Holland is offering 2.
ok but vinny for 5 is better then cleary for 2 or 3

as far as term goes, what and who are we waiting that term for? what prospect can we guarntee will be worth it, you have to be 100% sure of it(or pretty darn close) to pass up on proven NHL players.

will jarnkrok be a 65pt 2nd line centre in 3 years? how many years in the NHL did it take for Zetts to be capable of that? are we saying jarnkrok is and will be a better NHL player then Zetterberg?

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
  #25
Frk It
Thanks for Green!
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post


From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2Y5ZyGGc3

Hopefully he is hoarding money, from elsewhere.
Sounds encouraging, to be honest.

Frk It is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.