HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

vCash: 50
The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVIII

Last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1455739

Continue.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
07-04-2013, 12:13 PM
KillerWhale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Honestly with a disgruntled, prominent player on the team, and the new division, I feel that making the playoffs is going to be a challenge.
At the moment I feel the same way. The cap is tight and the only change to the roster so far has been losing a great goalie for no immediate help, and a few of our serviceable depth players testing the market.

Our only hope is Tortorella having a big impact and players like Kassian, Schroeder, Corrado and maybe Jensen stepping their game up to another level.

That said though, a solid trade or two and a couple bargain UFA acquisitions may provide more promise over the next couple months, it is still very early in the offseason.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
arsmaster

You make Grabovski fit under the cap....if he's willing to play here, sign a 2-4 year deal for under $4m, you squeeze the 4th line to load the top 9. Even allow the 4th line to be a youthful exuberance, energy line of Gaunce-Schoreder-Weise.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

With the rash of compliane buyouts being announced there could be some cheap UFAs available for the 4th line. Could make it easier for land a decent 3rd/4th line C.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
Asham and Powe on waivers.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Too bad we're up against the cap, the FA market is loaded with good secondary/depth talent.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You make Grabovski fit under the cap....if he's willing to play here, sign a 2-4 year deal for under $4m, you squeeze the 4th line to load the top 9. Even allow the 4th line to be a youthful exuberance, energy line of Gaunce-Schoreder-Weise.
Unless we're trading Edler for a much cheaper d-man, there is no way we can afford to sign someone for $4+ mil.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Bieksallent

Oh, man. This is the perfect time to get Grabovski. I don't care if we have to move Booth to make him fit, find a way! Criminally underrated. He and MacArthur were the relative bright spots in terms of possession numbers on bad Toronto teams the last three years.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...21927720648706
Quote:
Hal Gill (NSH), Johan Hedberg (NJ) and Greg Zanon (COL) also on unconditional waivers, presumably for buyout purposes.
I wouldn't mind signing Zanon as a depth d-man.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Asham at 1 mil cap....I think we should pick him up for 4th liner fighting/checking duties.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Re: Grabovski

Assuming we get Tanev for $1.35M, and fill out all other roster spots for $750K or less, Grabovski doesn't work unless he gets $2M or so. Damn

Old
KillerWhale

You'd have to think the reason Gillis is trying to shop Edler is to grab a promising young player or two on an ELC, and then utilize the cap space created to sign some of these free agents to bargain deals. With the cap dropping and players getting bought out, it's certainly a buyers market in UFA for GM's right now.

Old
Reign Nateo

Most of these guys are being bought out for a reason. Zanon looked too slow for the league last year. If you're not keeping up with Colorado's D core, you're probably done.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

If Gillman can work it so Booth is on LTIR we could easily offer Grabo 3-3.5M

Old
07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Oh, man. This is the perfect time to get Grabovski. I don't care if we have to move Booth to make him fit, find a way! Criminally underrated. He and MacArthur were the relative bright spots in terms of possession numbers on bad Toronto teams the last three years.
I love Grabovski but not at 5.5 million.
So this is a perfect way to sign him to a cheaper deal, provided we can fit it under the cap.

Despite his size, he plays with a lot of jam and would fit well with Tortorella's "stiffness and bite".

Old
07-04-2013, 12:25 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Most of these guys are being bought out for a reason. Zanon looked too slow for the league last year. If you're not keeping up with Colorado's D core, you're probably done.
Bingo. Zanon is done in the league.

A quick look at the UFA list... there are going to be tons of #5-6 guys waiting for a contract in late July.

On an unrelated note, did anyone know Joe Corvo is 36 years old? He's managed to stick in the league for quite some time despite not bringing a whole lot more than a presence on the PP for the last 3-4 years.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
You'd still have to move somebody for Booth's return. Grabovski will get around $4 million I imagine and would represent good value at that number. He's a much better use of $4 million than Booth is and I like Booth.

I still don't understand if the team wants to get bigger and younger why you move your biggest and youngest key defenceman when you have a guy like Bieksa sitting there comfortably. Move Bieksa for futures, sign Grabovski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
On an unrelated note, did anyone know Joe Corvo is 36 years old? He's managed to stick in the league for quite some time despite not bringing a whole lot more than a presence on the PP for the last 3-4 years.
He's basically still in the league because of his slap shot and not much else at this point.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
I still don't understand if the team wants to get bigger and younger why you move your biggest and youngest key defenceman when you have a guy like Bieksa sitting there comfortably. Move Bieksa for futures, sign Grabovski.
That's what I'd do. Move Bieksa for picks/prospects, then try to get Grabovski and Tom Gilbert under the cap.

Old
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

I trust Gilman will find a way. Guy is a magician.

Sign Grabo 100%.

Even if that was the only signing besides some defensive depth I'd be happy.

Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
You'd still have to move somebody for Booth's return.
Pretty much a given for the Canucks somebody else will get hurt before then (granted, you can't run operations as if that was a certainty).

Old
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" is the 9th commandment.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Pretty much a given for the Canucks somebody else will get hurt before then (granted, you can't run operations as if that was a certainty).
Dangerous game to play musical LTIR chairs. But, yeah, you're right. When Booth is ready for his return, Kesler will go down with injury like clockwork.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
We did in 2011... worked out pretty damn well for us.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:31 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Quote:
You'd still have to move somebody for Booth's return. Grabovski will get around $4 million I imagine and would represent good value at that number. He's a much better use of $4 million than Booth is and I like Booth.

He's basically still in the league because of his slap shot and not much else at this point.
NTC. Bieksa isn't going anywhere. Plus I feel like Torts is a good coach to bring out the best in a Hamhuis-Juice pairing.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
That's what I'd do. Move Bieksa for picks/prospects, then try to get Grabovski and Tom Gilbert under the cap.
I was looking at Gilbert's GF% after you suggested his signing and wondering "has Pitseleh lost his mind?!" Then I saw his PDO. Wow, that guy's been unlucky. Not good possession numbers but not bad either; he wouldn't be a bad option to pursue.

Closed Thread